Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ex Auburn players reveal pay-for-play details

BeachSkin

No, because the NCAA is afraid that they will get "jobs" from sports boosters as a way to throw more money at the athletes.

ASF- Actually that rule changed in Aug of 2007; NCAA athletes can have part time jobs. There i supposed to be monitoring of who they work for, how much they work, paid, etc., but i dont know much about the monitoring process

ASF- Actually that rule changed in Aug of 2007; NCAA athletes can have part time jobs. There is supposed to be monitoring of who they work for, how much they work, paid, etc., but i don't know much about the monitoring process

Ahh didn't know that, even still though that restricts them more than other scholarship students in money they are able to earn outside of class. The strongest argument for paying them though IMO is in the recognition of just how much money is made off them by the schools, conferences, and the NCAA through merchandising, ticket sales, televised games, video games, and school promotion and recruitment through scholarships funded by the athletics department, new stadiums etc, etc. All of that IMO falls far short of the tuition, room and board costs at your average state university.

Here's a look at UK's athletic association's budget.

http://www.uky.edu/Athletics/Board/agenda/may09/2010ProposedBudgetppt.pdf

Football revenue: $25.7 million; expenses $8.4 million

Basketball revenue: $15.5 million; expenses $9.2 million

Compare that with an $16,000 tuition scholarship for one year.

Ahh didn't know that, even still though that restricts them more than other scholarship students in money they are able to earn outside of class. The strongest argument for paying them though IMO is in the recognition of just how much money is made off them by the schools, conferences, and the NCAA through merchandising, ticket sales, televised games, video games, and school promotion and recruitment through scholarships funded by the athletics department, new stadiums etc, etc. All of that IMO falls far short of the tuition, room and board costs at your average state university.

Here's a look at UK's athletic association's budget.

http://www.uky.edu/Athletics/Board/agenda/may09/2010ProposedBudgetppt.pdf

Football revenue: $25.7 million; expenses $8.4 million

Basketball revenue: $15.5 million; expenses $9.2 million

Compare that with an $16,000 tuition scholarship for one year.

Yea, the numbers get pretty big, though the costs do as well. UK is, i think, estimated at around 20k total cost for an in state student (i had a student head there last year) and you multiply that times 85 and numbers get pretty big for costs. However, your point remains, they make a ton of cash and i dont know the best way to handle it for football (i feel different about other 'big' sports where kids have alternate paths to the pros). I went to a mid-major school where the teams were normally competitive at a national level, but clearly not championship caliber, i dont know how teams/schools like that, who dont make a ton of revenue, keep the players they have once we start paying them.

It is a complicated question that, i think, is naive of us to believe has a simple answer.

The thinking is that the athletic programs are more like technology schools as opposed to traditional education, as such the priority is not so much the degree but getting the athlete ready to be a professional. Once upon a time back when TV was in black and white and basketball shorts were Daisey Dukes the priority was on attaining a degree, but times have changed, and with as much money as is being thrown at these kids both during college and the potential money after college we're not going to change that any time soon.

What's more is that the student athletes are responsible for the colleges earning more money than the benefits that the colleges ever give the students through tuition, room and board etc. If anything the students are doing a favor for the colleges, and the athletes and the boosters, and the administrations all know it.

BTW what other student programs do the colleges and NCAA make millions off their hard work as undergraduates? I honestly can't recall the last time I tuned in to watch a geometry test.

Put simply, this.....was not paid for by the Social Science Department.

kfc-yum-center-grand-opening-11-16-10-025.png

Except, and they did a break down for football and basketball during the show last night, that if college football players (83 on a roster) got paid the 57% of revenue that the NFL and NBA was getting, it would be around $65,000/year for a program like Ohio State. To me, that's within the ballpark of what the cost of education, room and board, and a stipend would be. Basketball is a little more skewed because of the smaller rosters. Their payouts would be in the millions for a successful program.

But a lot of research, while headed by professors is built on the backs of lowly undergrad and grad students. The University gets to keep royalties on any discoveries made in the process.

Except, and they did a break down for football and basketball during the show last night, that if college football players (83 on a roster) got paid the 57% of revenue that the NFL and NBA was getting, it would be around $65,000/year for a program like Ohio State. To me, that's within the ballpark of what the cost of education, room and board, and a stipend would be. Basketball is a little more skewed because of the smaller rosters. Their payouts would be in the millions for a successful program.

But a lot of research, while headed by professors is built on the backs of lowly undergrad and grad students. The University gets to keep royalties on any discoveries made in the process.

I don't think even $63,000 is close to what the school gives in scholarship on a yearly basis, tuition at Kentucky for out of state (highest rate) is about $16k per year, no way they are giving them $47,000 in other benefits including stipend. I remember going through undergraduate school paying my own way and it didn't take $47,000 per year to cover rent, food, and money for my cars etc, not even close.

When will we all stop living in a fantasy world in which we believe that college athletics has anything do with student-athletes? It is a multi-billion dollar industry that makes many people extremely rich, uses unpaid labor under the disgisue of "education" even though most big time players don't even come close to graduating. Hell, big time basketball players are on campus for what? 6 months before declaring and leaving.

The entire system is a joke.

When will we all stop living in a fantasy world in which we believe that college athletics has anything do with student-athletes? It is a multi-billion dollar industry that makes many people extremely rich, uses unpaid labor under the disgisue of "education" even though most big time players don't even come close to graduating. Hell, big time basketball players are on campus for what? 6 months before declaring and leaving.

You had me until the last line, the players that leave after a year are by far and away the exception to the rule, they are the John Wall's that cannot be generalized over the entire issue of college athletics.

You either heard wrong or they broke it down wrong. By your numbers 83*65000=$5,395,000.00. That would make the total income for Ohio State Football $8,254,350.00

The figure for Ohio State for 2009 was $118,000,000.00. Link

So 118000000*.57=67260000 67260000/83=$810,361.45 per player. Not anywhere near scholarship value.

Even if they are "allowed" to take part time jobs, they don't have the time to take jobs, do their sports stuff, and do an ordinary college academic workload. Seems to me like these kids work for the schools, and their job is to attend practice and games.

When I was in college, I got some jobs through the school to make ends meet and have some pocket money, and got paid minimum wage for my efforts. Why not pay the scholarship athletes the minimum wage for each hour they spend in practice or games, maybe for travel time? Not to make them rich, but to reflect their actual relationship with the school, and give them enough money in their pocket to put some gas in the car.

There will still be some cheaters, but I suspect a lot less of them.

I was going to say pay then a stipend of $100 or $200 a week, but I like the idea of paying then for games and practice. Will it stop cheating? Probably not. But we have to start somewhere

I just graduated from a D2 school, and I believe only one sports (baseball) was on full scholarship….including books. All other teams were allowed to max out at partial scholarships, and I believe that did not include books, but I did see many students get breaks on books (I assume they choose to pay for some of the tuition and instead use the “scholarship” on books, as these were normally nursing or biology majors, where the books would get a bit pricy)

Even if they are "allowed" to take part time jobs, they don't have the time to take jobs, do their sports stuff, and do an ordinary college academic workload. Seems to me like these kids work for the schools, and their job is to attend practice and games.

When I was in college, I got some jobs through the school to make ends meet and have some pocket money, and got paid minimum wage for my efforts. Why not pay the scholarship athletes the minimum wage for each hour they spend in practice or games, maybe for travel time? Not to make them rich, but to reflect their actual relationship with the school, and give them enough money in their pocket to put some gas in the car.

There will still be some cheaters, but I suspect a lot less of them.

Exactly. When I was a student I worked at the school gym for $12 an hour for my daily expenses.

Would it be impossible for the NCAA to set up system and pay all student athletes a rate (based on cost of living on the area)? This would come out of the TV revenue from football and bball.

You play basketball in NYC area you get $18 an hour for games, practices and travel time. You like in Topeka, Kansas - you get $10 an hour.

It would still be a scam (the entire system), but it would at least give the kids some pocket money.

Don't give me this unpaid labor stuff though. D1 athletes get 100s of thousands of dollars in housing, meals, clothing, health insurance and other benefits over the course of 4 and sometimes 5 years, as well as 4 years of free job training.

The problem is the NCAA selective reaction system of punishing players for minor violations, and its complete double standard when it comes to coaches and administrators.

No joke right, as if cheating has only ever happened in the SEC and every other program and Conference has been free from it and the SEC is the lone black mark on the entire NCAA...what a joke.

Hey Spanky, I never said the other conferences were clean. It's just that, when it comes to cheatin', the SEC has it down to a science. Innovators and leaders when it comes to circumventing NCAA rules and guidelines. Hell, we can even blame the SEC for the BCS, it was started by Roy Kramer-now former commissioner of the SEC.

At least my Terps don't run a tainted program like every SEC team (except for maybe Vandy). ;) When they win, (albeit, not too often), it's legit. :thumbsup:

Don't give me this unpaid labor stuff though. D1 athletes get 100s of thousands of dollars in housing, meals, clothing, health insurance and other benefits over the course of 4 and sometimes 5 years, as well as 4 years of free job training.

When you are 18 years old and have zero dollars in your pocket and no time to hold a part time job, you are a cheating scandal waiting to happen. If its a surburban kid and your parents have cash for you, its ok. But if you are a poor innercity or rural kid whose parents have zippo, then you are going to do something to have a little cash. It is inevitable.

You really think UM has never been sanctioned by the the NCAA?

We talking bout football. And I couldn't care less about things that happened in the late eighties with the basketball program. Not to say, I'm not disappointed in the Terps, but the program had a bad apple for a coach...

---------- Post added March-31st-2011 at 06:33 PM ----------

It's a reference:

Any man who respects the law, or loves sausage, should never watch either of them being made. - von Bismark.

Now you get it?

Ah. Sorry. I will retract my previous statement. My "B".

Hey Spanky, I never said the other conferences were clean. It's just that, when it comes to cheatin', the SEC has it down to a science. Innovators and leaders when it comes to circumventing NCAA rules and guidelines. Hell, we can even blame the SEC for the BCS, it was started by Roy Kramer-now former commissioner of the SEC.

At least my Terps don't run a tainted program like every SEC team (except for maybe Vandy). ;) When they win, (albeit, not too often), it's legit. :thumbsup:

Yeah.

You'd like to think that the Terps run a completely clean program.

we know the terps dont cheat as good as other programs. They must be too cheap lol. Look at the product on the field lol

Eh, it's not necessarily spending Cam Newton type of money on prized recruits, but breaking contact rules and offering other minor benefits can add up.

I'm not saying Maryland is secretly a dirty program, but I think it'd be naive to believe that they haven't at least considered or actually tried some shady dealings to get a really high caliber local recruit who just ended up going somewhere else. If you're a D1A program, more specifically a BCS conference program, you're probably breaking a rule here and there, unless you're like a Vanderbilt or Duke and you just care about putting some guys out on the field.

Archived