Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What's up Redskin fans?

PD93

I'm a die hard Lakers fan and Adam hated on my team so that's why it's in there. Lol

i dunno, you might make a few carriker converts over here with that statement hahaha. not hating on the lakers skill.....just hating on the lakers :silly:

---------- Post added March-25th-2011 at 07:46 AM ----------

I hate the Lakers and Celtics, but as long as you smack the Cowboys, Giants and Eagles around (and the Patriots) it's all good.

actually PD, this is right, while we can talk a little smack on some lakers, celtics, and all, we do know you will be out there laying the wood on the other teams in the beast!

I'm a die hard Lakers fan and Adam hated on my team so that's why it's in there. Lol

I hate the Lakers for the same reason that I hate the Yankees. Because they are really successful and they aren't HERE. Anybody who is throwing hate at the Lakers for not being a good team is just being foolish. They have the talent to go all the way every year, and they have the mentality of champions.

Far better than the Heat in any event...

Thanks for posting, and it is always a blast to hear from you. Also

PHILLIP DANIELS WAVE ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø KEEP THE WAVE GOING ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø PHILLIP IS ¤º°¨¨°º¤ø STRONGER THAN ADAM¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤øPHILLIP IS ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø STRONGER THAN ADAM¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø PHILLIP IS ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø STRONGER THAN ADAM ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø PHILLIP IS ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø STRONGER THAN ADAM ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø Go PHILLIP¸„ø¤º°¨¨º¤ø GO LAKERS¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø PHILLIP DANIELS IS ¸„ø¤º STRONGER THAN ADAM CARRIKER.

I talked to him last week and he is working hard or at least that's what he told me. He will be fine as long as he continues to progress like he has done these past few years. The knee set him back a little but I think he is over that now and ready to ball.

Man, you are pretty awesome for responding to my question, you know that? We need to get Jeremy working out with you. That dude has an amazing upside, and if he can achieve a work ethic like yours, he will see Probowls.

"are"

It would be "is", actually. "Boston Celtics" is the name of the team in this instance, just like "Miami Heat." If he's referring to the team, then it would be "Boston Celtics is the best team in the league." However, since he put "the" in front of it, either the article (the) is incorrect or the verb (is) is incorrect.

Just a common grammatical mistake that everyone makes. :)

It would be "is", actually. "Boston Celtics" is the name of the team in this instance, just like "Miami Heat." If he's referring to the team, then it would be "Boston Celtics is the best team in the league." However, since he put "the" in front of it, either the article (the) is incorrect or the verb (is) is incorrect.

Just a common grammatical mistake that everyone makes. :)

Its not Boston Celtics "is" the best team in the league. That sounds like ebonics. Sorry, no way that is correct.

It's great to have you on this board, PD, you're one of our favorites.

I know it's a little early, but I was just wondering if you've given much thought to what you'll do with your time after you retire from the NFL (in 15-20 years, God willing :) ). You seem like the kind of guy who'd make a great coach/mentor for the youngsters.

¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø KEEP THE WAVE GOING ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø PHILLIP IS ¤º°¨¨°º¤ø STRONGER THAN ADAM¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤øPHILLIP IS ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø STRONGER THAN ADAM¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø PHILLIP IS ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø STRONGER THAN ADAM ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø PHILLIP IS ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø STRONGER THAN ADAM ¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø Go PHILLIP¸„ø¤º°¨¨º¤ø GO LAKERS¸„ø¤º°¨¨°º¤ø PHILLIP DANIELS IS ¸„ø¤º STRONGER THAN ADAM CARRIKER.

Oh, let's not even start getting into proper usage of the apostrophe. :ols: (Though you are correct in this case.)

Does anybody say "The Washington Redskins is looking for more linemen"? Anybody with a real education, that is? Didn't think so.

"The Team is looking for more linemen." "Team A is looking for more linemen."

"The Washington Redskins team is looking for more linemen."

Seems to be an issue of plurality. Washington Redskins sounds as if it is many even though Redskins is a team name.

Washington Redskins could equate to Team. Would you say "The Team are looking for more linemen."?

Even though most team names are assumed to be referring to all the players and staff that make up a team where "are" would normally seem correct I don't see how "is" could be wrong even if it sounds off.

"Team A is looking for" "Team A are looking for" "Team Skin is looking for" "Team Skins are looking for". It's a plural issue of the team name.

With all this nonsense said I'd be all for a mod deleting this ridiculous grammar talk wherever in this thread and keep it about it originally was. I'd prefer one guy with a need to derail an awesome thread like this and a location that states "somewhere not listening to rap music" not kill this thread.

"The Team is looking for more linemen." "Team A is looking for more linemen."

"The Washington Redskins team is looking for more linemen."

Seems to be an issue of plurality. Washington Redskins sounds as if it is many even though Redskins is a team name.

Washington Redskins could equate to Team. Would you say "The Team are looking for more linemen."?

Even though most team names are assumed to be referring to all the players and staff that make up a team where "are" would normally seem correct I don't see how "is" could be wrong even if it sounds off.

"Team A is looking for" "Team A are looking for" "Team Skin is looking for" "Team Skins are looking for". It's a plural issue of the team name.

With all this nonsense said I'd be all for a mod deleting this ridiculous grammar talk wherever in this thread and keep it about it originally was. I'd prefer one guy with a need to derail an awesome thread like this and a location that states "somewhere not listening to rap music" not kill this thread.

LOL, so what else is new?

And a team name can be a plurality, like the team we root for: the Redskins. Plural.

You can ADD the word "team" to your examples, to make the subject singular and use "is" in your sentence. But as written, and in the Boston Celtics example, "are"is the correct verb to use: The Boston Celtics are trying to win a championship this season. The Redskins are trying to improve on a disappointing season.

nbc_the_more_you_know1-300x197.jpg:silly:

Grammar is more a matter of what sounds right to the ear of native speakers than anything else. Rules are just approximations of convention. Usage does not follow grammar so much as grammar follows usage (unless you're French).

So what sounds right to the ear?

Consider:

"We are . . ."

"They are . . ."

"The people are . . ."

"The players are . . ."

"The indians are . . . "

So, "The Redskins are . . . " ?

OR

"The congress is . . ."

"The army is . . . "

"The team is . . . "

"The population is . . . "

So, "The Redskins is . . ." ?

So which is it? I would say the correct usage, and I use the word "correct" very loosely here, would be to say, "The Redskins are . . ." Here is why: "Redskins" is a plural word.

"The Redskins" does not refer to an entity the same way that "the congress" does. The word "congress," though referring to a group, is a singular word. The word "redskins" is not like the word "congress." It is plural. It refers to a group the way that saying, "the indians," does. You would not say, "The indians is . . . "; you would say, "The indians are . . ." So you should say, "The Redskins are . . . "

The only exception I can think of is when the team has a name that is a singular word, like "the Heat" or "the Crimson Tide." You would then say, "The Heat is . . . "

As I said though, I am pretty loose when it comes to grammar, as long as what you say sounds right.

---------- Post added March-26th-2011 at 07:50 PM ----------

Sorry for the grammar lesson. I do not mean to derail the thread by playing English teacher.

Thanks for stopping by PD! I have been a big fan ever since I saw the way you played for Gibbs. When you take the time to reach out to fans it make me like you even more. I am glad you are a Redskin, and I hope to see you making plays next season!

I do not know how I feel about your rivalry with Carriker, since he is a teammate and all, but I guess as long as it is a friendly rivalry that it is okay. A little friendly competition never hurts!

I'd like to formally request that the grammar police apologise for undoubtedly scaring off any other Redskin PD might have talked into posting here.

The only players I've ever seen posting here are Phillip Daniels and Renaldo Wynn. I don't think it's a coincidence that they were both starting DL the last time we had a good team.

Archived