Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lame rule change ... Brandon Banks value takes a hit

rumplestilskin

The more I think about this the more it pisses me off. They are trying to take away a very exciting aspect of the game. Who really are they trying to protect? It cant be the return man because I haven't noticed many injuries to them. It must be the rest of the guys getting blocked in to or bulldozed. The way this is going they might as well just give the ball to the offense and eliminate the kickoff all together because ultimately thats what their agenda is. Terrible. As for the no contact on a QB in a throwing motion or a reciever in the process or in the air making a catch.... If they make that a rule, we will have officially entered the demise of football. Whats next? No blitzing? Prowbowl rules? Goodell is getting on my last nerve.

Some things to chew on...

1. The year before the NFL switched from the 35 to the 30, only 26.5% of the KOs resulted in touchbacks.

2. Gano w/ Lavar & Dukes: "We've got such a good covearge team here, we might not be going for touchbacks every time. Skins were the 2nd ranked coverage team on special teams.

3. Last YR Cundiff lead the league in KO distance and was the only player to average 1 YD deep in the endzone. Based on the rule change 19 guys would average at least that.

I know this is a little wacky, but just another angle here..

I've seen many successful kickoff/punt returns happen as a result of the ball carrier either bouncing off his teammate(santana '08) or actually muffing the catch (Desean '10). That COULD suggest that a little more time for the blockers to set up/get down the field could be a good thing. More likely it's just an element of surprise on accident thing. Although, I've always wondered why guys just don't go for it out of the endzone more often. They're put in the position as returner because of their great field vision, and even if they see a hole developing seconds before it does, the up man is in his face forcing him to his knee just because it's a 'low percentage' thing to do (run out of the endzone).

MAYBE this encourages teams to go for it a little more often? I know, sounds crazy, but just another thought.

edit-I know those examples I gave were punts, but I think it related nonetheless

---------- Post added March-23rd-2011 at 12:21 AM ----------

Guess we won't see Gano attempting those deep corner kicks anymore =/

I'm not so sure he was ever doing those on purpose..

Banks was probably going to end up only as the primary punt returner anyways...he was making more of an impact there than on kick returns, and will last longer this way. I don't think this hurts his value at all.

To me, its Gano who should be worried about this. We put up with his growing pains and his inaccuracy in part because he's young, and in part because he's got a monster leg...which primarily helps with field position on kick offs, since it doesn't help consistently kicking field goals.

He should be worried that we'll bring in a weaker-legged, but more accurate, kicker, now that most kickers will kick it into the endzone.

This is a very interesting post and I have to agree 100 percent. Gano will have little room for error now that pretty much any kicker off the street and even Danny Smith has the leg to force a touchbach. I hope Gano focused on his accuracy because if not he is likely to be gone.

Kickoffs at the 35 now, making even a weak legged kicker able to boot it through the endzone.

I think this is the big factor. Teams will not Keep one kicker over the other because of kick-off length. They will now keep the most accurate kicker. Also teams will no longer carry 2 kickers. Some teams used to carry one place kicker just for kick-offs.

maybe next they should tell them not to wear pads and have 2 flags hanging from there pants... This sport is really turning into a soft sport.. Especially after the new penaltys for hiting a qb while his arm is in a throwing motion.. this sport is slowing dying... Whats football if you can hit tackle the qb. I swear two hand touch football here we come. Goddell sucks

another piece of the pro football me just died. at this rate it wont be long.....

Moving the kickoff up 5 yards (back to where they kicked from for decades prior to the 1990s) has killed a piece of pro football for you?

To be honest, with coverage teams getting a shorter running start, I wouldn't be surprised if just as many kicks are returned.

maybe next they should tell them not to wear pads and have 2 flags hanging from there pants... This sport is really turning into a soft sport.. Especially after the new penaltys for hiting a qb while his arm is in a throwing motion.. this sport is slowing dying... Whats football if you can hit tackle the qb. I swear two hand touch football here we come. Goddell sucks

I normally just look past the grammar and spelling errors, but good Lord.

The competition comittee is coaches and owners if I'm not mistaken. It has little if not nothing to do with Goodell.

Goodell has been the most vocal about player safety of any league official. He is the head league official on all matters. He has changed the game more that any commish as it pertains to player safety. He has nothing to do with it? He hands out the fines and suspensions and has final say on those matters. Dont kid yourself. Sure there is a voting process from the committe but Goodell has been whining about player safety ever since he started as commissioner.

16721949_122721068588.jpg

dave-duerson-thumb-400xauto-16918.jpg

Doesn't anyone remember that kickoffs used to be from the 35? Didn't hurt Mike Nelms much. They moved it back to the 30 trying to get more returns. I never liked that move. So it's no big deal to me.

Yeah, people are acting like they are shrinking the field from 100 yards or something. The 30-yard-line KO is a relatively new development.

Now that touch backs are going to be the a normal reality it seems players like Banks are going to suffer. Just when we get a player that was developed from within to be an extreme advantage for the special teams the rule nutralizes his value. Thoughts on the rule and if he is more or less of a bubble player now that the rule is instituted.

My opinion is he will still get opertunities returning punts but he may be vulnerable at some point to a roster cut if we draft a wide reciever or obtain via FA (Moss) and MK comes back healthy.(Austin would be first to go before banks). This rule is really disheartening because it allows success stories like Brandon to defy the odds and fill a niche. The NFL is getting way too soft.

http://rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/202059/nfl-moves-kickoffs-from-the-30-to-35-yd-line

I couldn't agree with you more. They are trying to make the league safer but how are things safer when you give teams the ball on the 20 and offenses have to go 80 yards which means the defense will be on the field longer which means more chances for big hits. The hits on defense is the reason that player safety came about in the first place with all the fines going out last year for hits. Also the percentages to score just switched back to the defense in that it's harder for teams to go 80 yards and score in the NFL. That is a proven stat but my main concern is that this rule puts defenses on the field longer which didn't make things safer at all. Now guys who are on the bubble to make teams won't because of this rule change and special guys like Banks and Hester just took a huge hit in that it took big play chances and excitement away from the kickoff.

I couldn't agree with you more. They are trying to make the league safer but how are things safer when you give teams the ball on the 20 and offenses have to go 80 yards which means the defense will be on the field longer which means more chances for big hits. The hits on defense is the reason that player safety came about in the first place with all the fines going out last year for hits. Also the percentages to score just switched back to the defense in that it's harder for teams to go 80 yards and score in the NFL. That is a proven stat but my main concern is that this rule puts defenses on the field longer which didn't make things safer at all. Now guys who are on the bubble to make teams won't because of this rule change and special guys like Banks and Hester just took a huge hit in that it took big play chances and excitement away from the kickoff.

Thanks Phillip. BTW you are stronger than Chris Cooley and Dre put together! LOL.. Better get a hyberbaric chamber for next year because you guys are going to be on the field more often! Kick Butt man.

---------- Post added March-25th-2011 at 11:07 AM ----------

Also great point from a pro who experiences it first hand. No body brought up that point about the D being out there longer and more often but it makes perfect sense!

Not sure if this has been brought up:

The competition committee wanted to make kickoffs safer. They proposed five rule changes that would lead to, among other things, fewer returns. They wanted to eliminate two-man wedges. They wanted a touchback to take the ball out to the 25 yard-line.

Coaches objected again. They wanted to keep the two-man wedge so the returner might have some protection when he was headed upfield. They wanted the touchback to go to the 20 instead of the 25.

The result? They got back the wedge. They also got the touchback back to the 20, although I think they double-crossed themselves. That, to me, took away the kicker's incentive to kick it high and short and try to keep the return short of the 25. Now the clear incentive is to kick the ball as far as you can.

The rule passed with these amendments

---------- Post added March-25th-2011 at 01:29 PM ----------

Good point....Kick offs are one of the most crucial parts of the game. Why mess with something that don't need fixing. I understand the changing of the 4 and 5-man wedge blocking. But besides that, i don't see anything that was considered a safety hazard. At the end of the day, Its FOOTBALL which means you run the risk of injury as soon as you touch the field....Geez, if they keep tampering with the game, its going to turn into flag football instead.

Archived