Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Already fretting.

Art

Before Atlanta took the field today I had a gnawing worry about next week's game. First, the Redskins won. Won on national television. Won in a game in which they dominated the opponent everywhere but the scoreboard and that usually leaves the Redskins feeling their oats.

Then Atlanta, a playoff team of a year ago, is an underdog to a bad Cowboy football team. Dallas can't be mistaken as a good team or even a team that really improved all that much in the offseason. Yet Atlanta is an underdog and feeling disrespected because of it. I worried the Tuna factor would lead to a Cowboy win and Atlanta would be a buzz saw against us in Week 2 which would become for them, essentially, a season-saving type of game.

They won, but I'm still scared to death.

I can't figure out why really. The Redskins aren't going to care much about the Falcon blitz. They'll blitz and they'll make some plays because of it. But, given our superior passing game and better players, we'll probably exploit them for big plays too, just as Dallas did. Johnson has nice moments, but, he's not scary in the pocket and he's the kind of guy who seems ideal for our defensive personnel to slow if not stop. They can't be said to have a dominating running game either without Vick.

Yet, whenever the Redskins won a big game over the last 10 years the following game was what the Redskins liked to consider a walk over. The, "We're so good we don't even need to show up to win," attitude that leads to a loss.

I've now watched the Jets game four times. What impresses me EACH time is just how hard-nosed the Redskins played. They hit hard. Filled hard on defense. Ran hard on offense. They didn't shy away from taking on a direct shot. Didn't flinch. Like Kleese, I think I'm watching the Redskins and seeing a team that seems so very much different than any we've had in recent years that I want to believe they understand the importance of playing EXACTLY the same way every week.

If we play as we did against the Jets, with that hard-nosed, tough, physical play, the Falcons can't beat us. I'm just not sure I can fully believe the Redskins ARE this team. We saw against the Jets the same sort of critical mistakes that cost us games in the past. Of course, those mistakes were usually coupled with a lack of a field goal kicker, so, at least we have that going with us :).

I had a great deal of comfort heading into the Jets game about our prospects. This game scares me to death though. Not because Atlanta scares me. But because the Redskins do. If the Redskins play the same sort of tough game, showing some basic understanding of the difficulty of winning football games and the sacrifices you must make to win them, and they win, I may be unable to control my enthusiasm heading into the New York game.

But, as it is, I am left hoping for the best but expecting the absolute worst. That's the type of performance we've delivered in similar situations for years. It's just that for the first time in years it's like this team kind of gets it. Anyway, done rambling :).

I've been thinking a lot of the same thing. All signs seem to point towards a Redskins victory. We obviously have more talent. We obviously played better in Week 1. We get more rest and more time to prepare. Why do I not believe that a victory will come easy? Only time will tell.

The worst part is we really need this victory. A 2-0 start, in my opinion, would do marvels for our team chemistry, momentum, and even playoff hopes. Imagine coming back to FedEx to play a division rival and then a Pats team that looked very ordinary today after a 2-0 start. If we can prove next week that Week 1 wasn't a fluke, we could easily start 4-0. And considering the next three games are at Philadelphia, vs. Tampa Bay, and at Buffalo, 4-0 may be a crucial start.

We need this game!

Well hopefully the game on Thursday is the proof that this team has changed finally. Thursdays game is a game that we have consistatnly lost ever since Gibbs left (namely because we have had the same issues team wide no matter who was the head coach). Sure we snuck in a few wins here and there or during the our last playoff season, but Thursday to me had a different feel. We had our ups and downs in the game, but we never let up or gave up. We played hard through out, and did what we needed to ensure the win.....that type of spirit has been lacking here for some time.

One thing that may give the Skins a marked edge in this matchup is the three extra days they get to prepare. To me, that's better than a bye week (which is so long it can take the edge off a team).

The team should be rested and focused, while the Falcons will be trying to figure out how to replace yet another member of their offense (having lost their #2 WR).

Have faith my friend. If you can't trust your own gut, trust mine. This team is on a mission. I don't know how far it will take us yet but I have a very strong feeling that this is a team that knows it can be special and is ready, willing, and able to do what it takes to reach that goal. We'll show up for the Falcons game and if the birdmen want to win in, they are going to have to earn it.

:pint:

I'm strangely calm. I hear where you're coming from Art. I've felt the same way after nearly every big win we've had over the past decade. And the Skins have often justified my fears. As silly as it may sound after just 1 game, I like our chances. I think you approached the key difference in how hard-nosed they played. If you take a good look at guys we brought to the roster over the past 2 years, that seems to be a core quality. I'm hoping this is the year we BEAT the teams we should beat, and give ourselves at least a chance to beat the one's we probably shouldn't.

yes we had some deja vu from redskin past during the game,

-great 1st 1/2,clearly out played NYJ but only up by 6

-mental breakdowns/penalties/playcalling/turnovers

-needed defence to make a stand/late gm collapse

-needed a big drive at the end of gm.

-needed a fg to win gm.

we could of easily collapsed,yet we found a way to overcome them.hell,we had all our TO's at the end of the gm.when was the last time that happened?don't know where the winning attitude has come from.maybe the jets brought it.there's some HUNGER for sure. still not sure if were going to the playoffs this yr art but this is clearly a different team for the better it seems.

I was so happy after that win because of all the things you said, but after a day I feel as you do.

The descriptions like "They hit hard. Filled hard on defense. Ran hard on offense. They didn't shy away from taking on a direct shot. Didn't flinch." have been foriegn to this team for such a long time. Are we actually supposed to believe that this is now a calling card of this team? After one game I thought I would know a lot about this team, but I am left wanting for more information in order to guage what I have witnessed.

It seems ridiculous, but I need to witness (or at least hear) these positive descriptions of the 'Skins again before I am sure that the "shoot in the foot" scenario has been exorcised.

Goodness but some of us are suffering from "waiting for the other show to drop syndrome". Though as Skins fans it may be somewhat earned. No fretting here. Could if I wanted to, but just can't bring myself to do it. This team believes in itself. After listening to comments before and then after the game, there is no doubt in my mind about this. It would also be safe to say the Coaches believe in them as well. The only worry here that I can imagine is the one we'll probably have to deal with much of the year. How's PR going to do this game? Think he'll be okay. Got some more time to practice and got that first game, and on national TV even, out of the way. Of course, having had chili and beer today, fretting simply would not do. :silly:

:cheers:

Something I see that could make this Redskins team different. They didn't seem Satissfied after the Win on Thursday. Past Skins teams would have been all giddy over a win like that in any type of fashion, however if you listen to the post-game interviews. There was no accomplishment in their eyes. They basically had the attitude that they are paid to WIN, and that is really all they did. They weren't doing cartwheels because of a Week 1 victory. This team seems more hungry and more eager to prove their worth.

I will tell you what, for some reason I have a different feeling about this team. A feeling that I havent had since mid 1999. Any of the teams that we have had within the last 3-4 years would have blown the Jets game by collapsing in the second half under the pressue. This team didnt. This is not to say that they arent immune to such actions, im saying that they showed signs of mental endurance; something that has been sorely lacking from recent Redskins teams.

As for the week 2 game against the Falcons, something is bothering me about it, but unlike Art, I believe it has nothing to do directly with the Skins but more to do with the Falcons themselves. For all the hype that Vick gets being the savior of this team, you have to also remember that they have two very savvy coaches in Dan Reeves and Wade Phillips. I have a bad feeling that they might be laying in wait for us with some type of defensive scheme to confuse Ramsey. Sound far fetched? Well they will have had 10 days to review our game vs. the Jets and more specifically our first half play.

I think that it comes down to us not really being afraid of their offense but perhaps being lulled to sleep by it and not worrying about their defense. Ramsey hasnt seen alot of 3-4 yet along with the fact that you never know what an old fart like Phillips has in his bag of tricks.

I hope im wrong. I hope that Spurrier and Edwards grabs this team by the scruff of their collective necks, tells them to forget their accomplishments or mistakes that happend vs. the Jets and concentrate on the Falcons.

They will study us real hard and will be prepared for everything we have shown so far. I'm hoping SS has some long ball tricks up his sleeve and Trung can finally show us his "big play ability."

I'm always worried..........

Originally posted by IAMBG

They will study us real hard and will be prepared for everything we have shown so far. I'm hoping SS has some long ball tricks up his sleeve and Trung can finally show us his "big play ability."

I'm always worried..........

I'm personally hoping for some plain old post patterns...from what I saw last Thursday, there aren't too many corners who are going to be able to keep up with Coles, but for some reason Spurrier seemed to shy away from really throwing it deep on the Jets. I hope this week we take some shots (interspersed with 30 or so running plays of course ;) ).

Three factors lead me to believe that we should beat the Falcons.

1) A Falcons defense that gave up a ton of big plays against the Cowboys (many were called back by penalties). I think that we can exploit this defense with...

2) A coach with a chip on his shoulder and an extra three days to game-plan against the opponent. That will be a vast advantage. Not to mention that the players will be rested, including...

3) A team leader on offense with the desire to win. You could tell in the fourth quarter last Thursday that Ramsey desperately wanted to win the game. That's why the fans responded so overwhelmingly to his run. The boy has heart, and all the "intangibles" that good QBs have. I have hope.

Oh yeah, and our defense is pretty good too. :)

Consider this: back in the Gibbs' days I was always nervous before a big game. I would fret because I believed more in the team. But that nervousness was also a sign of excitement and possibility. It's possible that this fretting is actually a very positive thing.

I only watched the last few minutes of Atlanta, but they seemed opportunistic. They're a good team. I think the Jets were/are a good team. Here's the thing though, I think I believe the Redskins may have a chance to be a good one also.

Norvitis is a b!tch, there is no doubt.

I think that's exactly what I'm feeling. Right down to the thought that if we suffer from it, maybe I can tell myself it will teach the team something about what it takes and maybe it'll go away next time we're in this situation :).

Im not worried. Well thats not true...too many downs in the roller coaster life of the Redskin Fan the last decade or so. However, I have an eerie confidence this time. The team has something. Call it moxie, or desire, drive, want, whatever you want. This team has a special feeling to it.

As far as the Falcons, they are missing Vick, Finneran and Price didn't look at all like hi did when Molds was taking the double teams. Crumpler might be thier biggest threat.

If the Skins handle the power running and eliminate mistakes. I know in my burgandy and gold beating heart they will win.

:coach:

I think in a game like this upcoming Falcon one, we will have a different look to our Offense. I expect Trung to have a bigger impact than Betts in this game. The quick field in Atlanta and the way their D looked a little sluggish leads me to believe Spurrier will open it up more and try to use our speed. If he can successfully change his game based on our opponent (slug it out on grass vs. some and strike while the iron's hot on turf vs. others) i think we'll have a special season.

I got that old queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach watching the Jets come back on us Thurs. night. Then, something amazing happened....we made a play and won the game. I don't know if it means "Norvitis" has finally been exercised or not. However, I'm hoping this team has finally found "it", whatever it is, that allows a team to dig down deep when the going gets tough and pull out a win.

As for the Falcons, I've personally got a lot riding on this game. I've been talking all kinds of smack to Falcons fans here since we raided the Jets' roster. They'd d@mn well better not make me have to eat crow.:twitch:

However, I'm confident:paranoid:that if we don't give the game away with turnovers and penalties that we should win. I've said it a thousand times both here and to the poor schleps at work that the Falcons just don't have the CB's to handle our WR corps. If we run the ball well enough to keep them honest, we should have some serious downfield opportunities. This is a game where I think the pass should be used to set up the run instead of the other way around.

Mark my words, "Big Play" Ray Buchanan (their best cover corner) won't be able to adequately cover either of our top 2 WR's. Gardner is too big for him and Coles is too fast. Their other CB's are just average and with the injury to their safety they're really going to have a hard time.

Skins 31 Flacons 20

Ah yes, some residual Norvousness. It's like the cough that lingers after the cold is gone.

I'm like Tarhog. I feel comfortable and confident. I don't see the "hollow men" out there wearing our uniforms this season, I see some tough football players with a chip on their shoulders.

I happen to think that the general antipathy for Snyder and Spurrier and our organization helps to feed that. Our guys feel like they have something to prove. And I love it.

We have leaders on both sides of the ball. Lavar is simply a world beater on defense, and inspires everyone. Patrick on offense is a gritty, quiet performer who everyone seems to love and respect. That play he made to Coles after ducking Lewis' attempted tackle in the pocket seems to personify him as much as the unlikely scramble he made to allow us to win the game. Patrick just quietly sets his jaw and does what he needs to win. And that means his considerable and developing talent is there for us to utilize this season.

Don't fret. We'll win some and lose some this year. Better teams will beat us. However, teams with holes or injuries - like the Jets - will be the ones that I'll look for us to beat to reaffirm my confidence. And there's a lot of those teams in the league.

It's been years since we've beaten all the teams in a season what we should beat. I'm starting to believe that that trait is one of Spurrier's hallmarks and one of this team's signatures.

Archived