Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why are Virginia Redskins fans elitist jackwagons? (MET)

BmoreRedskin

I don't get this thread. I've never heard of an elitist Virginia Redskins fan before. :ols:

I've lived in Southern Maryland almost all my life. Virginia is only about 30 minutes south of me, and D.C. is only about 20 minutes north. I've spent significant time in both places, and consider them part of my "home area" as it were. I don't see much difference in the areas to be honest until you travel north of College Park. Many of the people I work with commute from Virginia everyday. Even when Baltimore had the Colts, most Southern Marylanders I know have always been Skins fans. The Skins were the closest to us, and the logical choice.

This has happened ever since Gibbs.....

Nothing irks me more than when people say the Redskins represent "Old Dixie"... That sentiment isn't coming from Maryland....

The Mason-Dixon Line became widely known as the symbolic divider between the Northern and Southern states during America's Civil War; in short, it divided slave states from non-slave states.

However, the original Mason–Dixon Line was actually a demarcation (or border) line between Pennsylvania and Maryland, in an effort to settle an 80-year land dispute between the two colonies. It also included the western border of present-day Delaware, as it was then a part of the Pennsylvania colony.

The on-going dispute between the Penn family of Pennsylvania, and the Calvert family of Maryland over the border between the two colonies finally erupted into war in 1730, one known as Cresap's War. After years of conflict, England's King George II negotiated a cease-fire in 1738.

Shortly thereafter, the Penns and Calverts commissioned two Englishman, Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon, to mark the official border, and solve their property dispute.

Mason (an astronomer) and Dixon (a surveyor) used celestial measurements to form an accurate 233-mile-long line (or boundary) between Pennsylvania and Maryland, and the 83 mile-long between Maryland and Delaware.

http://www.masondixon-line.com/information.html

------Funny I argued this with my brother (a rocket scientist of sorts ) who thought Md. was a northern state, the civil war acutally divided Md. but the MasonDixon line concludes Md. to be a southern state when the line was established.

Say what now? Pretty sure D.C. is its own thing.

Hmm, I see U.S. History isn't taught in those second class Maryland schools.

Here we go, I just looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently James Madison argued in 1783 that "the national capital needed to be distinct from the states in order to provide for its own maintenance and safety."

Then in 1790,

D.C. is it's own entity independent of both Maryland and Virginia. It's a federal territory.

Actually, I think you missed a class in History. VA and MD ceded land for DC. Later the land that VA gave up was returned to the commonwealth.

You do realize that DC wasn't one of the original 13 colonies right? So they had to get land from somewhere. It didn't just grow from the Potomac.

Nope, I just got it covered from Wikipedia. DC is a federal territory and thus is not part of any state, be it Maryland or Virginia.

It might be a shocker but I was in fact aware that DC was not one of the original 13 colonies LOL!

The capital used to be Philadelphia. It was Thomas Jefferson who made the push to move it to the Potomac. Jefferson loved VA and thought our capital should be there.

This is not to say DC is in VA, it is indeed not. There is a reason for this: The capital belongs to all of the United States and not to a particular state. I think that was James Madison's idea (another Virginian, by the way).

What's the point? The point is the capital was moved from Pennsylvannia because Jefferson thought it should be in Virginia. That is the history. In that sense, Virginians might take some pride in the capital.

I do not know it if that makes Virginians elitist jackwagons, or elitist d-bags, or not.

Were James Madison and Thomas Jefferson elitist jackwagons? Probably. They were wealthy slave owners and land owners.

However that does not mean that Virginians are elitist jackwagons, it only means that there could be elitist jackwagons in Virginia. That would be unsurprising. I'm sure there are elitist jackwagons all over the place. There might even be some in Maryland.

I do not know it if that makes Virginians elitist jackwagons, or elitist d-bags, or not. Were James Madison and Thomas Jefferson elitist jackwagons? I don't know. If they were, I would say it is because they were wealthy slave owners and land owners, and not because they were Virginians.

Ding, Ding, Ding. Look at the Mason Dixon Map and it is obvious why the move was made.

#1: They are not jackwagons.

#2: Thou shalt love thy fellow Redskin fans regardless of geographic location.

#3: You are a jackwagon, however, for posting this mindless trash and perhaps a little because you violated # 2.

#4: If you are a Redskin fan, I still love you even with your jackwagonness and forgive you this small mistake.

#5 If you are only posing as a Redskin fan, I don't love you because you are truly a total jackwagon and a waste of time.

Are we clear?

#1: They are not jackwagons.

#2: Thou shalt love thy fellow Redskin fans regardless of geographic location.

#3: You are a jackwagon, however, for posting this mindless trash and perhaps a little because you violated # 2.

#4: If you are a Redskin fan, I still love you even with your jackwagonness and forgive you this small mistake.

#5 If you are only posing as a Redskin fan, I don't love you because you are truly a total jackwagon and a waste of time.

Are we clear?

This wins.

Is this just a select group of ppl u know from VA or a wide range of ppl from VA? If it is the latter...that's just dumb. Had no idea VA had a inferiority complex to DC/MD. I consider DC/MD/VA to be one. That's why it is the DMV. Redskins belong and are the DMV. A Virginian saying that Redskins are VA's team is simply asinine and idiotic though.

Need to rename them the DMV Redskins then, though I can see that causing problems. If the team name had some acknowledgement of Virginia I do believe that would only help strengthen the fanbase. Alot of times people who are relocated or even long timers but just never got into football start taking a huge interest in it because a team comes along with their state or cities name. I know if VA got their own team I would probably follow them closely and even root for them as long as they werent playing against the skins.

Maryland now has Baltimore, Carolina now has Carolina, DC still has the skins, and well Virginia has the skins. We VA people need the Skins as if you make the argument that DC sports is predominately Maryland then Virginia essentially has no pro sports and Maryland has a stupid amount even though VA has almost a 50% larger population. I Think the whole DMV thing is fair considering that the true population of DC is well under a million yet they get all the recognition for sports.

Living in Virginia Beach and part of the Hampton Roads metro area it is presumed to be Redskins town. The truth is with such a large military influence from all branches it is a fairly large mix. Growing up to even now I was the only Redskins fan among all of my friends. Off the top of my head 3 of my friends are Cowboy fans, two Steeler fans, a 49ers fan, and even now I have friends who are dolphins fans, ravens fans, carolina etc. What is persistent through all of this is have no Redskins fan friends in an area that should be littered with them.

The last game I attended was a Skins Steelers preseason game two years ago with a steeler friend and it seemed like most of the people at the game were steeler fans in fed ex! =(

For a team that supposedly has such a large fanbase I swear I am either unlucky in finding other skin fans or quite possibly the stories of our fanbase is fabricated BS.

The south will rise again!

---------- Post added March-6th-2011 at 04:23 AM ----------

For a team that supposedly has such a large fanbase I swear I am either unlucky in finding other skin fans or quite possibly the stories of our fanbase is fabricated BS.

I agree man.. I don't meet many Redskins fans which makes me think how we have such a large fanbase?

Is the off-season this bad? I grew up in SE VA. I regularly educated people from other parts about the Skinz belonging to VA. I Just considered all of DMV To be Skinz country. For me a Skinz fan is a fan. I now live in Jacksonville and simply get excited when I see another fan and get the chance to talk to them. I just love my Team.

Actually, I think you missed a class in History. VA and MD ceded land for DC. Later the land that VA gave up was returned to the commonwealth.

You do realize that DC wasn't one of the original 13 colonies right? So they had to get land from somewhere. It didn't just grow from the Potomac.

Uh, yeah it did...they grew it up like a Chia pet...ch-ch-ch-chia!

[ATTACH]45222[/ATTACH]

Because Maryland has some of the worst drivers in America..

Why do you say that? At least we dont drive 50 miles an hour in the far left lane. You're upset because we blow by you doing 90 miles an hour on our way to Dulles while you are singing "Simple Man" with a Miller in your hand on your way home to Purcellville. It seems to me that most of the intelligence and wealth in N. VA came during the dot com and these people came mostly from other states. Most native Virginians I knew growing up loved to get drunk, ride in hayfields and listened to Skynyrd and Molly Hatchet all night long. Is that why your upset? Because we dont drive our cars like a tractor?

I'm sick of hearing about how the Redskins are Virginia's team. Last time I checked the stadium was in MARYLAND, and Washington DC is on MARYLAND soil.

Maryland Redskins fans have always been treated like second class citizens for some reason.

It needs to end....

WTF are u talking about. The Redskins are Virginia's team. Just like their DC's team and Maryland's team. DMV=Redskins

Anyone that thinks that the Redskins are "Virginia's Team" are in need of some kind of therapy. Redskins fans come from all over the world, are Christians, Jews, Moslems, Sikhs, Athiests, black, white, asian, etc. etc. "When we play as a team, no one can beat us, and it's worth 60,000 dollars and a big urr.... ring! - Joe (7)

The capital used to be Philadelphia. It was Thomas Jefferson who made the push to move it to the Potomac. Jefferson loved VA and thought our capital should be there.

This is not to say DC is in VA, it is indeed not. There is a reason for this: The capital belongs to all of the United States and not to a particular state. I think that was James Madison's idea (another Virginian, by the way).

What's the point? The point is the capital was moved from Pennsylvannia because Jefferson thought it should be in Virginia. That is the history. In that sense, Virginians might take some pride in the capital.

I do not know it if that makes Virginians elitist jackwagons, or elitist d-bags, or not.

Were James Madison and Thomas Jefferson elitist jackwagons? Probably. They were wealthy slave owners and land owners.

However that does not mean that Virginians are elitist jackwagons, it only means that there could be elitist jackwagons in Virginia. That would be unsurprising. I'm sure there are elitist jackwagons all over the place. There might even be some in Maryland.

Annapolis, maryland was also the U.S. capital for a short period of time (1783-1784).

Anyone that thinks that the Redskins are "Virginia's Team" are in need of some kind of therapy. Redskins fans come from all over the world, are Christians, Jews, Moslems, Sikhs, Athiests, black, white, asian, etc. etc. "When we play as a team, no one can beat us, and it's worth 60,000 dollars and a big urr.... ring! - Joe (7)

Moslems? Are they the group of people who worship Mark Moseley?

I just thought we could come to a common ground and say we are all Redskin fans, no matter where you reside. :whoknows:

Hey now! You get that level-headed down to earth thinking out of here...we don't like your kind around here...now git!!! :gang:

;)

dont worry maryland you guys just deal with the nova part of virginia. real virginians dont even clam them, they are like our jersey. everyone hates the trust fund babies they are elitists 90% of the kids i meet in school who say they reside from the 703 (yes they actually say this like i care what their area code is) are usually rich peices of crap who are selfish and not good people.

dont worry maryland you guys just deal with the nova part of virginia. real virginians dont even clam them, they are like our jersey. everyone hates the trust fund babies they are elitists 90% of the kids i meet in school who say they reside from the 703 (yes they actually say this like i care what their area code is) are usually rich peices of crap who are selfish and not good people.

You're not doing yourself any favors with this post.

Archived