Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: GOP Proposes Cuts to Housing for Homeless Veterans

Madison Redskin

WASHINGTON (CNNMoney.com) -- Among the more controversial GOP budget cut proposals is an effort to kill $75 million that's slated to house homeless veterans. It's the cut that Democrats like to point to when they accuse of Republicans of going too far. And Democrats have even started to make it a campaign issue.

Republicans are quick to point out that the cuts won't impact veterans who were homeless but now receive housing vouchers. Vouchers give homeless veterans a place to live for a year and can be renewed annually, assuming federal funding is available. The cuts would hurt some 11,000 homeless veterans who have already qualified for housing this year but have yet to receive vouchers.

Read the rest of the story here.

They fought tooth and nail to extend the Bush era tax cuts at a cost of $860 billion. Now, they're fighting to slash funding to house homeless veterans, defund NPR and PBS, and cut programs offering food for children from poor families. Oh yeah, and they tried to kill the 9/11 first responders aid bill.

It's one thing to preach fiscal responsibility and make tough choices that result in cutting funding for good programs. It's another thing to do so while doing everything possible to extend massive tax cuts worth hundreds of billions.

Does this surprise anyone?

If it does, you've been wearing blinders.

A coupld months ago people were asking "what programs are you going to cut?" The reason was, its very easy and popular to say "we need to cut government spending." However, its very hard to cut programs because all of them are at least intended to do some good.

The political victory was scored, but when you are in power its much easier to be attacked.

A coupld months ago people were asking "what programs are you going to cut?" The reason was, its very easy and popular to say "we need to cut government spending." However, its very hard to cut programs because all of them are at least intended to do some good.

The political victory was scored, but when you are in power its much easier to be attacked.

Yes, cutting 75 million has fixed all of our problems. Deficit solved.

This and most of the cuts they have proposed are absolutely meaningless in the large scheme of gov't spending.

Gotta start somewhere. This is what happens when a budget gets punted

Agreed, but this isn't the place to start. Reform SS to increase the age at which people are eligible for benefits, reduce Medicaid benefits, decrease the floor for the estate tax, increase capital gains tax rates, etc. Don't cut the already miniscule funding for homeless vets.

This is why we are doomed as a country.

If the Repubs would've come out and said "Everything..lock,stock and barrel, is getting cut 15% across the board" the Dems would pick it apart and come out with "They're gonna make your grandma eat cat food, throw vets in the street, take away all SS...etc".

If the Dems had done it, the Repubs would be doing the same thing.

When do the politics stop and the Congress actually get serious? I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think we have time to play games on spending/budget issues anymore.

If I'm wrong..hammer away.......

Ah, the ignored cost of War. This should never be an issue. There shouldn't be a need for public funded groups for vets either. They should be taken care of.

Every day we are still at War, we are creating more Americans who are risking their lives, only to have Americans and their government **** on them.

End these Wars.

This is the fault of democracy without term limits. These guys would be more inclinced to do the right thing instead of getting re-elected each term. Some of the changes to social security could be made, if they didn't need those votes to get re-elected.

This is why we are doomed as a country.

If the Repubs would've come out and said "Everything..lock,stock and barrel, is getting cut 15% across the board" the Dems would pick it apart and come out with "They're gonna make your grandma eat cat food, throw vets in the street, take away all SS...etc".

If the Dems had done it, the Repubs would be doing the same thing.

When do the politics stop and the Congress actually get serious? I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't think we have time to play games on spending/budget issues anymore.

If I'm wrong..hammer away.......

From the article- Perhaps this is just a temporary funding issue. Not sure but perhaps.

"The cut is among hundreds tucked into the spending bill that House Republicans passed last week that slashed $61 billion in the remaining six months of the 2011 fiscal year.

Republicans say they're targeting the housing subsidy program because it's too slow. While 30,000 vouchers have been issued to veterans, they point to the 11,000 yet to be issued. Republicans say they're just zeroing out unused vouchers.

"Until all of the vouchers are used, there is no point in providing additional vouchers that will sit unused," said Jennifer Hing, spokeswoman for the House Appropriations Committee. "

Not only that but here's a diddy regarding how your gov't spends your money.

These are just a few of the findings in a blockbuster report on government waste and inefficiencies released by the nonpartisan Government Accountability Office. The report, a summary of which was obtained by Fox News, identifies billions of dollars in potential savings if Congress just had the will to streamline initiatives that target politically popular causes.

- Twenty programs across seven agencies dealing with homelessness. The report found $2.9 billion spent on the programs in 2009. "Congress is often to blame" for fragmentation, GAO wrote in this section, explaining that the duplicative programs in multiple agencies cause access problems for potential participants.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/03/01/government-waste-numbers-report-identifies-dozens-duplicative-programs/

Agreed, but this isn't the place to start. Reform SS to increase the age at which people are eligible for benefits, reduce Medicaid benefits, decrease the floor for the estate tax, increase capital gains tax rates, etc. Don't cut the already miniscule funding for homeless vets.

So you want to:

1) take money from starving Grandma's

2) take away healthcare from the old people

3) take family farms when the old guy dies

4) discourage investment by taking away the reward for taking the risks.

(Note: I agree that we need to drastically limit SS and Medicare, but figure you might like the political spin on your proposal)

How about we stop making unfunded promises... (does not mean double my taxes to fund your favorite giveaway either)

So you want to:

(Note: I agree that we need to drastically limit SS and Medicare, but figure you might like the political spin on your proposal)

How about we stop making unfunded promises... (does not mean double my taxes to fund your favorite giveaway either)

And how, exactly, did I unfairly spin the GOP's proposal to cut funding to house homeless vets? It is what it is. You just don't like me pointing out what is. :)

And how, exactly, did I unfairly spin the GOP's proposal to cut funding to house homeless vets? It is what it is. You just don't like me pointing out what is. :)

Well, if they were cutting housing for homeless vets, that would be a problem. It sure looks like they're cutting funding for a program that is over funded per this quote:

"Until all of the vouchers are used, there is no point in providing additional vouchers that will sit unused,"

I guess the easier narrative is just to say the R's want to make vets homeless.

Glad those rich people got their tax breaks.

Because as we all know, nothing good can happen unless they get that.

I'm sure there's much more to this than what will be shouted from the surface, and the trumpeting of the cut in this program is certainly a stiff plank the Dems can use to hit the GOP over the head with.. but when I see things like this in the face of the top 1% getting their big fat "necessary" tax cut, it makes me want to puke.

Anyone still believe the lie that we need to give the rich a break so they will provide oportunity for the rest of us little peons?

~Bang

Liberals will never tire of using grandma, poor school kids and vets ala the "human shield" tactic. Sadly it works because people (a large mass of them) never look beyond the surface when considering issues. We deserve better leadership...from both sides of the aisle.

11,000 vets are going to be left homeless by this cut? Damn that's really a tough decision to make. The problem is that cuts are needed and I think everyone agrees with that. No matter what you cut someone is going to get negatively impacted by it. Not saying this particular program is the one to cut but I see similar arguments arising all over the place as more cuts are considered.

Having said that this is no time for massive tax cuts at the top which I'm not convinced does as much for the US as it costs the US as a whole. Cut business taxes if you want to create jobs. Look at changing capital gains taxes if you want to encourage more investment. Business = jobs. Capital gains = investment. Income tax cuts come at a high cost and have a limited upside. This country grew incredibly strong with a top tax bracket that would give people heart attacks today.

Liberals will never tire of using grandma, poor school kids and vets ala the "human shield" tactic. Sadly it works because people (a large mass of them) never look beyond the surface when considering issues. We deserve better leadership...from both sides of the aisle.
So you want to:

I've always been impressed by the GOP attack machine. No matter what the GOP does or proposes... they're always on the attack. Already, in this thread you see signs of how they're going to make this the fault of dem damn dems. Just remember. Support our troops.

Instead of complaining about people pointing out facts, why don't you try to explain why this cut ... and the extension of the Bush tax cuts ... are necessary?

Archived