Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jason Redi (WP): Given the Redskins' needs, drafting a quarterback would be indefensible

ACW

I also find it funny he critisizes a fourth round pick for not being an impact player. Personally, I was impressed he contributed as much as he did. He certainly looks promising from what I've seen so far, and may have a good shot at replacing Rocky. To me, that's a very good fourth round draft pick, since often those guys don't get a shot at being starters.

Reid also IMO was being somewhat dishonest in how he presented his points. The Skins didn't have a 2nd or 3rd. So the next pick was the 4th. So yeah we took the most obvious need at LT. then with our next two picks, we go defense, Reiley and the trade for Carriker. Ok we ignored defense in the 6th and 7th, big deal. But he tried to present it like we had a bunch of draft picks and ignored defense, when arguably it was a pretty balanced run from offense to defense and ditto with FA.

Reid also talks about Matthews. Well we got our Matthews (albeit not as good) in Orkapo. with the NT position, we gambled on some FA's, 2 didn't work out, one somewhat did.

I like the point he made about the Pack drafting Raji and Matthews to acnchor their 3-4.

You know...I like that too. But it's not exactly the same situation. GB knew what they had in Rodgers when they made those picks. I really doubt they'd have valued a NT and LB over a franchise QB if all three were needs. Secondly, players of that impact at those positions need to be available. You can't take a NT who's a lower-first round value at 10 if a QB who's a high-first round value is there.

I see that some think Grossman starting next year will guarantee a top 10 pick. Grossman didn't do that bad when he started and performed in this offense much better than McNabb did. Anyone who saw the games can see that. That said, he is very prone to fumbles and can throw picks, but I can actually see him doing alright next year if he is the QB taking all the snaps in the offseason. If our defense improves quite a bit and Rex is our QB, I can definitely see us improving next year which will most likely knock us out of the top 10 pick for 2012.

And if these are bonafide stud prospects like a Bradford or Stafford and i know Luck is considered even better, we IMO need better than just to be in the top 10, we need to have a top 3 pick or be willing to mortgage a lot of picks to make it happen.

You know...I like that too. But it's not exactly the same situation. GB knew what they had in Rodgers when they made those picks. I really doubt they'd have valued a NT and LB over a franchise QB if all three were needs. Secondly, players of that impact at those positions need to be available. You can't take a NT who's a lower-first round value at 10 if a QB who's a high-first round value is there.

Well said, right on point. You don't pass on Rogers for Raji IMO. and no the Packers didn't do it that way.

I see that some think Grossman starting next year will guarantee a top 10 pick. Grossman didn't do that bad when he started and performed in this offense much better than McNabb did. Anyone who saw the games can see that. That said, he is very prone to fumbles and can throw picks, but I can actually see him doing alright next year if he is the QB taking all the snaps in the offseason. If our defense improves quite a bit and Rex is our QB, I can definitely see us improving next year which will most likely knock us out of the top 10 pick for 2012.

I can't see how Grossman starting would guarantee a top 10 pick. Really, you get into that position because multiple things are wrong with your team, as has been the issue for the past two years. That being said, Grossman isn't likely to be the answer. He mostly showed that he was the same QB he has been in his career. He also showed that we got ripped off in the McNabb trade, since McNabb wasn't any better.

I like the point he made about the Pack drafting Raji and Matthews to acnchor their 3-4.

Course, it helps if those players are available to you when you draft. Last year, there wasn't a Raji to draft at our draft position. Course, maybe if we didn't trade that 2nd round pick maybe we would have found one of those players....

If Reid is saying not to draft a QB at 10 because he doesn't think any of the guys available are franchise worthy, then I understand the reasoning for that opinion. You don't take a QB just because you need one. If he's saying that Shanahan shouldn't draft a QB simply because we have too many needs on defense, then that's shortsighted. You can't fix all the problems this franchise has in one offseason. If Shanahan really thinks one of these guys is a future elite QB then he should take him at 10. He just better be right. Rebuilding through the draft is a long term process. The team is going to continue to struggle before it becomes playoff caliber. The fans and the owner just have to be patient. If we lose a lot of games next season then so be it. We have an entire 2012, 2013, and 2014 draft to continue to build this team. It all hinges on how well our FO evaluates players. If they can't do it correctly then we're screwed either way.

Since there's going to be shortened season the smart thing to do is to trade all picks for 2012 futures, if of course someone is offering a first in 2012 for our 41st. We could get up to 3 picks including a 1st 2nd and 4th in 2012 for number 10, given that future picks are watered down in the bargaining process and the fact that there may be no free agency this year.

But to say don't draft Cam Newton because you need a defensive end is so stupid. You need a quarterback, and 10 other positions. Why would you pass on the most important one? How long does he think Shanny will be here? Do you really think Shanny feels he'll be higher than 10 in the years to come?

This dude is not very smart. It's amazing how these sports writers are employed.

I have mixed feeling about the article....

On the one hand, I agree. I want the Redskins to have a top 5 Defense, and if we win games Baltimore style (9 to 6 type games), then so be it.

On the other hand, a QB is the most important position, and if a good one is available at #10, then why not?

If Reid is saying not to draft a QB at 10 because he doesn't think any of the guys available are franchise worthy, then I understand the reasoning for that opinion. You don't take a QB just because you need one. If he's saying that Shanahan shouldn't draft a QB simply because we have too many needs on defense, then that's shortsighted. You can't fix all the problems this franchise has in one offseason. If Shanahan really thinks one of these guys is a future elite QB then he should take him at 10. He just better be right. Rebuilding through the draft is a long term process. The team is going to continue to struggle before it becomes playoff caliber. The fans and the owner just have to be patient. If we lose a lot of games next season then so be it. We have an entire 2012, 2013, and 2014 draft to continue to build this team. It all hinges on how well our FO evaluates players. If they can't do it correctly then we're screwed either way.

This sums up my thinking as well. It is really simple if Shanny believes a franchise QB is available at #10 you take him no matter who is left on the board. The key here is "if SHANNY believes a franchise QB" not you, not me, not Snyder, not any draft gurus and DEFINITELY not Jason Reid.

It is Shanny's poker chips that is being played with here. If he drafts this guy this guy will not define he time here with Skins. Do you think he will gamble on a guy he doesn't believe is the right guy for the job. This is much bigger than the McNabb gamble because its easier to recover from a botched trade than a botched potential franchise QB pick.

If he's saying that Shanahan shouldn't draft a QB simply because we have too many needs on defense, then that's shortsighted.

That seems to be his argument, or at least that there are too many holes to focus on one position.

Personally, that argument would have made more sense when there was talk about trading up for Bradford. It would have made more sense as an argument against the McNabb trade. But here, when we are just talking about the use of a draft pick? No sense at all.

BTW, there is no evidence that Shanahan will just take a position for the sake of taking a player at that position. So, I don't really understand why he thinks Shanahan would do that.

The only thing that I can possibly agree with, in general, is that we should look at defense with the first pick IF the value is there AND fills a need. That's only looking at the overall situation we have with offense v defense. A 31st ranked defense needs more attention than an 18th (I believe) ranked offense.

So if you look at it in just that context, then yes, taking a quarterback is dumb.

But we have holes EVERYWHERE basically.

Does this guy know we are rebuilding (perpetually it seems) from just about the ground up?

If we still have that #10 overall (I hope we don't) then we take BPA, end of story. Be that a QB, DL, LB or whatever. As long as that player turns into a gamer for us, it really doesn't matter where he plays, with all of the needs we have.

EDIT: I (as always) hope we trade down and get as many 2s and 3s as we possibly can. I'd sacrifice a franchise QB this draft for 3-5 quality starters elsewhere. Of course, I still think McNabb could hold down the QB spot well enough for a year or two until we get said franchise QB.

That seems to be his argument, or at least that there are too many holes to focus on one position.

No matter who we draft at 10 we are focusing on that one position with that pick. Just because we take a QB at 10 doesn't mean we aren't addressing our other needs with other picks and FA. If you think that QB is a need (It is) and you think that the best player on the board at 10 is a QB then you take him. You don't pass up the best player to take a NT or OLB who isn't as good just because you have a need there.

Giving Reid's long history and mastery of building winning football programs, Coach Shanahan should take heed.

After all, there have been 45 Super Bowls, and Shanahan has only won two of them. That must pale in comparison to Reid's astounding record.

Whatever it is.

Guess that means that none of us should ever:

1. Criticize the President, since none of us have ever run a country before

2. Criticize a QB's on-field decisions, since none of us have ever QB'd an NFL team

3. Criticize anyone for any reason at all

Do you think in the absence of journalists the Redskins would so eagerly talk about their weaknesses to the masses, especially with all the Pro-Redskins Propaganda that is being put out from Redskins Park?

Too bad the Skins first draft pick can't be a new owner...

I can't stand Reid's writing style but I agree with the broader point: there is no QB worth the 10th pick. There are some great 3-4 DEs and OLBs, however, that I would take over the supposed top QBs in the first round.

I agree with this. I don't think we can go QB at #10 but in the second or later rounds would look to pick someone up

2. Criticize a QB's on-field decisions, since none of us have ever QB'd an NFL team

Do you think in the absence of journalists the Redskins would so eagerly talk about their weaknesses to the masses, especially with all the Pro-Redskins Propaganda that is being put out from Redskins Park?

it's not about the idea that Reid was critical. He's almost always critical, and that's cool, many of us including myself have been critical of the organization especially Snyder -- its simply here Reid is saying taking a QB is "indefensible". That's a pretty strong point. So if Shanny drafts a QB he has absolutely no way to defend his position, it would be that bad of a call. If Reid's is IMO going to be that arrogant about his opinion with doing little to back it up -- it begs for people to respond to it.

Or we have every right to comment on those things, but others have the right to pick apart our opinions. Wouldn't I look stupid if I wrote an editorial that stated that Obama should, under no circumstances, intervene in Libya? I have no idea what factors are being weighed, what is changing every 10 minutes, etc.

Reid has the right to do whatever he wants. But his right doesn't protect him from criticism.

Reid is a jocksniffing idiot. He's way too close to the players. Give him some time, be his bud, and he'll simply transcribe everything you said.

I'm not really sold on taking a QB at ten.

But I'll understand if we do.

Seriously, no one really knows if there's a QB worth taking at ten in this draft.Certainly not Jason Reid.

It's a risk.

But there were plenty of folks who thought Bradford was a risk.

These kinds of articles are nonsense.

With so many holes on this team, i think you take BPA (whether its @ QB, OLB, DE, NT, OL)....But to say that under no circumstance should we draft a QB is plain idiotic! So based on his theory we should conclude that we should draft DL or OL just because it will it doesn't LOOK LIKE a QB is worthy of that spot? I wonder how much film he's watched to determine that... :rolleyes:

But there were plenty of folks who thought Bradford was a risk.

The only real risk with Bradford was his surgically repaired sholder and whether or not that showed signs of him not being durable. Considering he made it through his first season healthy has mostly licked that.

The other guys in this draft have more questions.

No, that just means that his opinion doesn't carry any more weight than yours or mine. Mike Shanahan might completely screw up this draft but if I'm wondering who I should ask about building an NFL team is certainly isn't going to be Jason Reid. He's free to voice his opinion but that doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.

There were a few odd comments in the article:

1. The comment about not using free agency & trades to address defensive needs last year in going to a 3-4?- Did Jason Reid forget that the CBA affected free agency last year? Who did he want us to get? When our name came up in association with Peppers everyone was yelling NOOOO, not again.

2. Perry Riley getting an extensive look and not performing?- When did this happen? He played the 2nd half of the Cowboys game and played very well IMO but he didn't get any starts after that.

I agree that we have a lot of needs and my preference would be a pass rusher opposite Orakpo, but QB is the most important position on the field and we don't have our QB of the future on the roster so how can it be considered irresponsible to take one?

Also shouldn't you wait to see if the CBA is agreed upon and what the Skins do defensivlely in FA before rolling out this column?

Archived