Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Legend of Zelda turns 25

PokerPacker

I saw nobody has posted this yet. Today marks The Legend of Zelda's 25th anniversary since it was first unleashed upon the world. One of the greatest gaming franchises of all time still running strong 25 years later, spawning arguably the greatest game of all time in The Ocarina of Time.

Started by the visionary Shigeru Miyamoto wanting to capture the experience of his childhood exploring outdoors and imagining himself to be on a great quest, his little pet project has evolved beyond perhaps even his own greatest dreams. Happy birthday Link.

28959.gif

I loved the original two games for NES.

True Story:

The memory in the original cartridge was only supposed to last 5 years or so. A few years ago I bought a top loader NES knock off on EBAY. My original NES went belly up several years prior, and the cartridges just sat in the black case for well over a decade. When I plugged in my original cartridge into the top loader, I found that my games from late 80's were STILL saved on the cartridge, and I could access them right where I had left off. Of course, I had no idea where I was and what I was supposed to do next :ols:

I couldn't believe that the memory still functioned after 20 years.

I loved the original two games for NES.

True Story:

The memory in the original cartridge was only supposed to last 5 years or so. A few years ago I bought a top loader NES knock off on EBAY. My original NES went belly up several years prior, and the cartridges just sat in the black case for well over a decade. When I plugged in my original cartridge into the top loader, I found that my games from late 80's were STILL saved on the cartridge, and I could access them right where I had left off. Of course, I had no idea where I was and what I was supposed to do next :ols:

I couldn't believe that the memory still functioned after 20 years.

yup, the memory in mine is still fine and dandy as well. or, rather, I should say the battery is still fine and dandy. Can't say the same about some other old games of mine, like Super Mario Bros. Deluxe for the Gameboy Color. I had to pop open the cartridge and replace the battery in that sucker.

Not as much fanfare in this thread as I was expecting...

Anyone excited for Skyward Sword?

I haven't even finished twilight princess, don't know why i haven't I've been on the 2nd to last dungeon for like 2 years just haven't played lol. I'll get skyward sword, I'm not a fan of cel-shading in zelda from an artistic standpoint...but I have to admit, wind waker was a very underrated game. I thought it was better than Major's Mask.

I haven't even finished twilight princess, don't know why i haven't I've been on the 2nd to last dungeon for like 2 years just haven't played lol. I'll get skyward sword, I'm not a fan of cel-shading in zelda from an artistic standpoint...but I have to admit, wind waker was a very underrated game. I thought it was better than Major's Mask.

haha, I've played through Twilight Princess so many times. Love that game. I'm actually in the process of playing through it again (nearing the end). I got component cables for my wii, and I wanted to experience it in progressive scan with more vibrant colors. Seriously, you gotta finish that game!

As for cel-shading, I certainly wasn't a fan of cel-shading when Wind Waker first came out, and its not my first choice from an artistic standpoint, but retrospectively, it really works for that game. The entire game is lighter, seen through the eyes of a child. I actually started thinking it would've been neat if in OoT they made the world of child-Link cel-shaded and the world of adult-Link more gritty.

I'm a big fan of the Twilight Princess art. Really dark, gritty, and a lot of an ancient feel to those temples. Really set the serious tone for that game.

As far as Skyward Sword is concerned, I think its a nice compromise between art styles. Its colorful a vibrant, but not over-the-top cartoony. It has nice realistic models with textures like a painting. I think one of the great things about the Zelda franchise is so much diversity. You have can have way-cartoony WW one release that sees world almost bright and care-free through the eyes of a child, and the very next game darkens the tone set in a world of despair and fear. Based on the art style, I think we'll be seeing a game between these two extremes. Its not gonna be all bright and cheery like wind-waker, but not as dark and foreboding as Twilight Princess. I imagine the atmosphere surrounding this game will be more of a bold and daring.

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 12:58 AM ----------

:geek:

Strange thread.

Celebrating a video game ???

nay, celebrating a work of art. The birth of a phenomenon.

I'm actually a latecomer to the series. Even tho I had a SNES, I never did play Zelda. Now that I have a Wii, I've just gotten around to playing Twilight Princess and I'm having a good time with it.

I didn't get in until Ocarina of Time (hell of a place to enter) and didn't return until Twilight Princess. Playing Twilight Princess convinced me to go back and play through the rest of the series.

Also, whenever I see your screen name, I can't help but think of the item from Ocarina of Time (the longshot).

I never did get into Zelda, mostly because I was too preoccupied with other games on the SNES back in the day, and once I was forced to commit to one next gen console ( at that time ) I went with the Playstation, and never looked back. The only time I've ever even played as Link was when I went over to some friends house to play Super Smash Bros

Oh, and on The Legend of Zelda being a work of art... The Smithsonian Art Museum will be featuring "The Art of Video Games" next year. Right now there is a voting process for games to be featured in the exhibit, and among the finalists... you guessed it. The Legend of Zelda. Also among them: A Link to the Past, The Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, and Twilight Princess.

http://www.americanart.si.edu/exhibitions/archive/2012/games/

(suck on that, Roger "Games can't be art" Ebert)

Ocarina of Time was one of the best videogames ever made. My favorite of all time is Super Mario RPG but mostly because it was the game I played with my best friend and beat one summer when I was 8 or so and it was one of the best times of my childhood....ahhh the memories. Zelda was ****ing amazing too. I can still play that game, even knowing everything about it and where everything is and still have fun playing it.

I didn't care at all for Majora's Mask all that much, didn't go nuts for windwaker because in spite of being an alright game it looked like a cartoon (AND I WANT MY VIDEOGAMES ABOUT FAIRIES AND **** TO LOOK AS REAL AS POSSIBLE!) and that wasn't acceptable.

Never played Twilight Princess but I hope to someday in the future when I have nothing to do (which will never happen again due to aging and getting things done before death.)

With all that said the original legend of zelda was something I remember playing at my cousin's house when I was really little. He had the gold cartridge one and it was freaking awesome. I set out a few years ago to beat the game on NES and was having a good time but got sidetracked by other things...maybe I should go finish it finally.

Archived