Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Legend of Zelda turns 25

PokerPacker

kosher, wasn't zelda the first game you could free-roam? it revolutionized games.

the only zelda i didn't like was the 2nd one. can't stand it, can't even play it, it's a blight on the series. other than that, they are money.

majora's mask is the most underrated of all of them. great game.

i have every console zelda ever made either on gamecube discs or dowloaded on the wii. every handheld zelda is in my collection with the exception of the oracle of season & oracle of ages.

My favorite of all time is Super Mario RPG but mostly because it was the game I played with my best friend and beat one summer when I was 8 or so and it was one of the best times of my childhood....ahhh the memories.

No no, I have to stop you on that. It's not because of that. It's because it's one of the best video games ever made and is underrated as hell because it came out around the same time as the N64, so if you didn't buy it within the first couple months, you probably didn't buy it, because why buy a Super Nintendo game when there's an entirely new system over here with all these new fancy graphics?

(Sorry, had this debate many times in 4th grade or whenever the **** it was. :silly:)

I can't even begin to imagine the countless hours I've spent playing Zelda games in my lifetime.

Reading through this thread ^^this^^ was the loudest thought in my head, it bounced around through all the great memories.

The one memory that I can recall from the original game was me and a roommate playing for hours, getting stuck and walking to the pay phone to call the

nintendo tip line. It was $1.25 a minute (or something right around that), we called so often that we actually got the first name of one of the operators and would ask for him by name,

Nick, thanks for all the help!

While I loved OoT I enjoyed Link to the Past more. Something about the 16-bit graphics that were more enjoyable. I remember booting up OoT and seeing link riding Epona across Hyrule with the huge moon in the background. I reset my N64 and made everyone come into my room to watch it!

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 11:20 AM ----------

You had to call the tip line ?

It was a difficult game, but not to that point.

Is there a reason you have to **** up this thread? I mean LOL man. Some people had troubles playing the older games, and had no access to Nintendo Power and there wasn't any internets around back then.

maybe not every aspect of the Zelda series, but the water temple in OoT was f'in annoying.

the guy was talking about calling for tips on the very first Zelda (like probably the "maze" to get to one of the dungeons where the screen just repeats itself unless you get the sequence right (the original lost woods I believe).

but yes, the water temple in Ocarina was aggravating. Thankfully I hade the GamePro issue with the big walkthrough of it.

FWIW, I think Link to the Past is the best (just personal preference), then Ocarina (1 of the greatest games ever made), Twilight Princess, Legend of Zelda, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask (couldn't get into it, and I love the Zelda series), and I pretend Zelda II didn't exist, never could get the hang of that one and graphics were weird.

Not hatin' at all. Just seems a little odd to celebrate a video games birthday.

You are Error.

*EDIT*

Anyway, to add my own experiences, I didn't play much of the original Zelda for some reason, but I played a lot of Zelda 2. I never did beat the game. Partially, it was because I have this habit of wanting to (in free flowing games like that) tank up as much as possible early on so I can just blitz through the game later, so I would spend hours and hours just killing monsters that spawn continuously, looking for P-Bags so I could get super powerful. Eventually, I'd start adventuring. I remember getting to the raft part, and I remember a large graveyard part, but I don't remember getting any further than that before I'd eventually give up and quit.

Link to the Past for SNES remains the only Zelda game I've ever beaten. That game is friggin awesome.

After the SNES/Genesis, I stopped buying new videogame systems until my wife and I got a Wii. So I never did N64 or playstation or anything, and thus missed a few games. I do own Twilight Princess but I've barely played it. I played for an hour or two and my horse disappeared, and I was stuck. Plus I was having a hard time figuring out the fighting controls. I'll get back to it eventually.

FWIW, I think Link to the Past is the best (just personal preference), then Ocarina (1 of the greatest games ever made), Twilight Princess, Legend of Zelda, Wind Waker, Majora's Mask (couldn't get into it, and I love the Zelda series), and I pretend Zelda II didn't exist, never could get the hang of that one and graphics were weird.

My personal preference: Twilight Princess, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, A Link to the Past, Wind Waker, The original, 4-Swords Adventure, Zelda II (I have no animosity towards this one). I pretend the CDi games don't exist.

I'm with you on this one. Something about A Link to The Past just couldn't be replicated post-SNES and I'm not so sure it was strictly a graphical thing.

I suppose it just had the "It Factor". The game was nearly un-put-down-able. I remember during a blizzard in '93 playing outside all day then coming inside, having dinner and playing this until I passed out. I did not want to put it down and no other Zelda game has been like that.

For those who played Link to the Past, here my list of why that gane ruled.

1. How many of you spend forever playing that arrow shooting game for rupees in the dark world? I wasted so much time playing that, with the guy in the corner who would beat on his drum everytime you got a hit. Awesome boss fights, dungeons that made you think a little, hours of gameplay...the game wasn't over too quickly but didn't drag on forever. Was probably my favorite RPG for the SNES besides Final Fantasy III (American numbering).

Archived