Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT - Mark Schlereth: Control freak Mike Shanahan should let his coaches coach

Champskins

Posted by Michael David Smith on February 18, 2011, 9:51 AM EST

mikeshanahandec222010-e1293151382744.jpg?w=250 Mark Schlereth played for Mike Shanahan for six years in Denver, getting to a Pro Bowl and earning two Super Bowl rings along the way. Schlereth says Shanahan is a great coach, and he thinks Shanahan has the ability to succeed with the Redskins.

But Schlereth also thinks Shanahan needs to let go and stop trying to do everything.

“I would say the one criticism I have is a lot of times he’s such a control freak that he doesn’t allow his coaches to coach,” Schlereth said on Mike and Mike in the Morning. “I think that’s an issue. You have to have a system of checks and balances where you can argue, you can fight and you can say, ‘We’re not going to do it that way.’ I don’t know that he still has that in the place that he is now, or at the end of his tenure in Denver.”

In other words, it’s Shanahan’s way or the highway, and if one of his assistants has an idea that conflicts with Shanahan’s, he doesn’t want to hear it. Hiring his son as his offensive coordinator and an old friend as his defensive coordinator is consistent with that.

Schlereth said Shanahan’s refusal to let his coaches coach is largely because he thoroughly enjoys the detail-oriented aspects of coaching more than he enjoys the big picture.

“He loves that stuff,” Schlereth said. “I think that’s one of the toughest things for any coach to do is let go of that stuff.........”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/18/mark-schlereth-control-freak-mike-shanahan-should-let-his-coaches-coach/ <---------- click for entire article

Wow, Schlereth takes another shot at someone on the Skins.............. shocking

I'm sure I'm not supposed to suggest that Stink **** me, so I won't

We are stuck with this ass clown...his history with the Skins and with Shanny...he will be the 'expert' regarding the Skins as long as there is an ESPN.

I don't care what he does as long as he can turn this franchise around. There's more than one management style that works.

^^ This

There may come a day when Shanny's micro-managing hardass style becomes too much (may being the operative word) but after being the posterchild franchise for fustercluck frathouse grabassery for a decade, I applaud the guy for kicking some asses.

I don’t know that he still has that in the place that he is now, or at the end of his tenure in Denver.”

Schlereth has no idea what the dynamic is in the coaches room at Redskin Park. His statements indicated that it wasn't that way in Denver. He's just speculating because he has to say something.

Schlereth is an idiot. He's just a player and has no idea what leadership or running a program is about. Shannahan used this year, his first, uncapped, last year of current CBA rules, to evaluate existing talent scheme fit. The scheme will be here, the players that don't fit won't be. Trying to accommodate a Carter or McNabb or Haynesworth is futile. You setup your program around the scheme. That's what last year was all about. Establishing control. Evaluating talent. Now that he knows what he has and does not have, changes in talent will be made to fit the schemes.

Schlereth has no idea what the dynamic is in the coaches room at Redskin Park. His statements indicated that it wasn't that way in Denver. He's just speculating because he has to say something.

That's what I got from that statement too. Because he doesn't imply that's how Shanny was when he was playing for him, it all seems to be based on hearsay or just wild speculation. It would even seem to me that it would make sense that most coaches have a way they want things to work, and if their coaches don't want to play within the confines of the head coach's system then things wont work anyway. Shanahan has also made it abundantly clear that he likes to know what's going on with all of the coaches as to make sure everyone is on the same page. I guess you could call that control-freakish, but I'd rather have that than Steve Spurrier who, aside from offense, didn't even try to care about what was going on anywhere else with the team.

This shouldn't be news to folks paying attention. The WP ran a good article back when Shanny was hired regarding his coaching style.

He has cameras in the breakout sessions with position coaches and he watches the tape of their coaching daily... and he follows back up with them if they say something unapproved by Shanny.

I'm not sure I know of any successful organization run that way. Football might be the exception, we'll see.

This shouldn't be news to folks paying attention. The WP ran a good article back when Shanny was hired regarding his coaching style.

He has cameras in the breakout sessions with position coaches and he watches the tape of their coaching daily... and he follows back up with them if they say something unapproved by Shanny.

I'm not sure I know of any successful organization run that way. Football might be the exception, we'll see.

You know where Shanahan got the idea from? Bill Walsh.

I think it's safe to say that football is an exception :ols:

You know where Shanahan got the idea from? Bill Walsh.

I think it's safe to say that football is an exception :ols:

yah, might be a safe bet :ols:

Still, seems like his time would be better used working on schemes and scouting (since he's VP) rather than micromanaging coaches who know what they're doing

^^ This

There may come a day when Shanny's micro-managing hardass style becomes too much (may being the operative word) but after being the posterchild franchise for fustercluck frathouse grabassery for a decade, I applaud the guy for kicking some asses.

could you be any more right... people got mad that he had problems with the superstars on this team.. well superstars dont go 4-12 period. this team sucked when he got here and he cut or got rid of most of them and honestly i think he should do some more.

could you be any more right... people got mad that he had problems with the superstars on this team.. well superstars don't go 4-12 period.

and this really is the heart of the matter isn't it. The Redskins need authoritative management right now. The Redskins need somebody who kicks asses and takes names. Maybe one day, the Redskins won't need that type anymore, but in my opinion, that day is a long ways off.

Let's not overreact. Taken in full context his statements were not that critical nor unfair.

true, if you read his quote it does not appear he went to a reporter to tell him this, but it seems more like the reporter was pressuring him to be critical of Shanny. The most critical things in the article are written by the reporter, Mark is stating an opinion, which may or may not be correct.

Don't get me wrong, I don't like Mark, and I really don't like Shanny, but Mark should not be strung up in public for this.

could you be any more right... people got mad that he had problems with the superstars on this team.. well superstars dont go 4-12 period. this team sucked when he got here and he cut or got rid of most of them and honestly i think he should do some more.

I think you're already seeing the second wave of cuts coming. Carter will be let go, Moss won't be re-signed. Rocky, Dockery and Portis. Carlos is all but gone with his demands. I could see Sellers, Daniels and Holliday cut/no re-signed. And we all know Haynesworthless will be gone. I like it. Get some hungry football players in here whether they be draft picks or veterans.

I think you're already seeing the second wave of cuts coming. Carter will be let go, Moss won't be re-signed. Rocky, Dockery and Portis. Carlos is all but gone with his demands. I could see Sellers, Daniels and Holliday cut/no re-signed. And we all know Haynesworthless will be gone. I like it. Get some hungry football players in here whether they be draft picks or veterans.

i hope you are right.. i actually think he was trying to ease the fans into this honestly. like i know he doesnt care but i think he thought skins fans wouldnt handle cutting all thier old favorites right away. but he should realize we dont care we just want to win.

Archived