Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: Mubarak Steps Down From Power

AsburySkinsFan

Fantastic!!! Let's just hope that the one who replaces him is not the same or worse!

http://www.npr.org/2011/02/11/133674942/egypts-military-throws-its-weight-behind-mubarak

Egypt's President Hosni Mubarak resigned Friday after 30 years in office, bowing to weeks of mass protests that paralyzed the country. Vice President Omar Suleiman announced the news on state television and said control over the affairs of state will be turned over to the military.

"In these difficult circumstances that the country is passing through, President Hosni Mubarak has decided to leave the position of the presidency," Suleiman said in brief remarks just after nightfall. "He has commissioned the armed forces council to direct the issues of the state."

The moment the announcement was made, Cairo's Tahrir Square erupted in celebration. People ran through the streets hugging each other and shouting, "Egypt is free!" and "The people have brought down the regime!" Fireworks and the sounds of car horns and celebratory gunfire filled the air around the city of 18 million.

No doubt, I was not expecting this in the least, I know the pressure was really strong, but I thought for sure we were going to see another Tienanmen-esque crack down.

Agreed. As mush as I don't like to do so,I was getting the impression from recent reports that things were going to get ugly fast. This is really going to get interesting to watch now that he has "agreed" to step down.

Agreed. As mush as I don't like to do so,I was getting the impression from recent reports that things were going to get ugly fast. This is really going to get interesting to watch now that he has "agreed" to step down.

Exactly. He "agreed".

I feel like there is a whole lot more none of us are aware of and what we think we're seeing isn't really what is going on.

Men like Mubarak don't become that powerful and then just walk away.

I'm patiently waiting to see what is really going on.

It's been amazing watching history unfold before our eyes.

I'm not like some others, though. I always expected something like this to happen, rather than a brutal crackdown, both because of the amazing media coverage that Egypt couldn't block, and because the military always seemed if not supportive, then not opposed.

Side question: If this push for accountability to the public spreads beyond just Egypt, is it possible the guy who lit himself on fire could have an impact or world history comparable to Luther's complaints nailed to the church door?

I know it's early, and it's entirely possible none of us will be around to answer the question, but it no longer seems as rediculous to me today as it did last week.

So yesterday he says he won't run again, and will take a back seat, and then today he steps down completely. I wonder what changed. :whoknows:

From the reports that I heard today apparently the military was under the impression that when he spoke to the country last night he was supposed to resign, and then he didn't which ticked off a lot of the generals who threatened to join the protesters.

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 09:58 PM ----------

Side question: If this push for accountability to the public spreads beyond just Egypt, is it possible the guy who lit himself on fire could have an impact or world history comparable to Luther's complaints nailed to the church door?

I know it's early, and it's entirely possible none of us will be around to answer the question, but it no longer seems as rediculous to me today as it did last week.

That's what the other non-democratic Arab nations are asking themselves right now. I think it is entirely possible that these protests could have huge ripple effects throughout the region on similarly styled governments. The only problem is that the governments that fill the vacuum are not always the one's that will be the most productive for peace in the Middle East. Look at what happened to the Palestinians; everyone in the West wanted to replace Arafat and the PLO only to find out that the group that did replace them was worse and made Arafat and the PLO look downright peaceful in comparison.

It appears Mubarak shares your fears ASF

'They may be talking about democracy but they don't know what they're talking about and the result will be extremism and radical Islam,'" he quoted Mubarak as saying.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/mubarak-slammed-u-s-in-phone-call-with-israeli-mk-before-resignation-1.342831

I hope he is wrong

If he does actually peacefully leave office, should he be given a little bit of credit for ultimately giving the people what they want without turning the army against them and trying to maintain control?

I'm not sure he didn't try. He certainly sent out his undercover policy thugs with the molotovs, but it seems like the professional army refused to play along. That might have surprised him.

'They may be talking about democracy but they don't know what they're talking about and the result will be extremism and radical Islam,'" he quoted Mubarak as saying.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/mubarak-slammed-u-s-in-phone-call-with-israeli-mk-before-resignation-1.342831

I hope he is wrong

OMG..Mubarak watches Glenn Beck???!!!

I hope he is wrong

We all do. No one knows what will happen next.

Still, I wonder if there is ANY dictator in the world that you cant make that argument about. Certainly any dictator in the Muslim world. Does that mean that all change must be opposed? :whoknows:

We all do. No one knows what will happen next.

Still, I wonder if there is ANY dictator in the world that you cant make that argument about. Certainly any dictator in the Muslim world. Does that mean that all change must be opposed? :whoknows:

I support the change as well, but I think we would all be well served to remember that Mubarak assumed power in Egypt during a time of crisis where he was the general in charge, only to maintain martial law and his own authoritarian rule, 30 years later they have the chance to do what Mubarak failed to do the first time.

I have supported change, but I urge caution since choices have consequences.

I urge sobriety.

Archived