Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NPR: Mubarak Steps Down From Power

AsburySkinsFan

I think what gives me the highest optimism is the overall age of the protesters. By and large they're young people, but not kids. 20s and 30s.. not just students, in other words.

From everything I've seen (which admittedly pales in comparison to some of you guys' understanding of the situation.) the protesters are largely pro-west, pro-freedom, and eager to tell us their story, eager for our support, eager to clasp hands with us in unity.

If their movement is subverted by people who want other things, I don't think they'll stand for it. They've already shown a willingness to die for their cause, and the temerity it takes to sustain a revolt.

Usually I'm such a pessimist, but I really believe change for the better is coming.

~Bang

I think what gives me the highest optimism is the overall age of the protesters. By and large they're young people, but not kids. 20s and 30s.. not just students, in other words.

From everything I've seen (which admittedly pales in comparison to some of you guys' understanding of the situation.) the protesters are largely pro-west, pro-freedom, and eager to tell us their story, eager for our support, eager to clasp hands with us in unity.

If their movement is subverted by people who want other things, I don't think they'll stand for it. They've already shown a willingness to die for their cause, and the temerity it takes to sustain a revolt.

Usually I'm such a pessimist, but I really believe change for the better is coming.

~Bang

That does encourage me, too. They're young, educated, and mixing in demographics. The fact that women and Christians are out there marching, not to mention students and professors, tells me that this is not what some think it is.

~Bang

It really does have a positive feel to it, I for one am praying it stays that way. (I'm a bit worried that essentially they have kept dictatorial powers in place, just with a new person).

That does encourage me, too. They're young, educated, and mixing in demographics. The fact that women and Christians are out there marching, not to mention students and professors, tells me that this is not what some think it is.

What it is does not determine what it will be if they are not careful.

I am hopeful as well,but hopes never ran a country

What it is does not determine what it will be if they are not careful.

I am hopeful as well,but hopes never ran a country

That's why I'm encouraged by the age. They're young, but not just idealistic students thrashing around against the establishment because they're finally out of Mom and Dad's house and think they've got the world figured out. They're young enough to retain some idealism, but have it tempered with a knowledge of how the world really does work.

~Bang

Obviously, Egypt has a long way to go. But the past few weeks have been what seems a good step forward. Especially when the comments about honoring currently agreements and treaties. I'm also glad that most current American elected officials took the high road on this, and only a few tried to use this as an attack on the admin. Of course you have the dummies out there that probably are still saying Obama f'd it up. But they're wrong. Aside from conversation, we let the Egyptians handle their own business and it appears to be working. I can't imagine us doing anything differently and getting a better result thus far.

Congrats to Egypt. Keep it up.

Archived