Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

Hate to say this but imo this is honestly the worst possible reason to draft a QB that you could come up with.

That's not why I'd draft him. That's why he's different than Gabbert or Mallet, which is what I was replying to.

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 04:14 PM ----------

I don't like the price tags on Gabbart or Newton. Both would cost us our first round pick if they are there and we want them. I'm hoping we can find someone with the second, depends on who slips etc. Locker in the second would be a good pick imo, Devlin in the third if we can get back in that round would be a good pick. I firmly believe that you can't spend a top 15 pick on a QB who has questions. It really depends on how the board shakes out imo who our best QB to get would be.

And call me a knee jerker, but I have no confidence in finding a FQB in the later rounds. Of course it's been done but at what success rate?

With the holes we have, I for one advocate trading as many picks we can for 2012, but no one seems to bite on that idea. So does a Watt or Miller or Jones help us more than a Newton? If Newton can't do it of course, but if he's the real deal, you'll be kicking yourself in 2014 when we are stuck debating if Kaepernik or Ponder should be resigned.

Why play like a prototypical QB and not take full advantage of your assets. Michael Vick doesn't play like a prototypical QB, even the new mature Michael Vick that passes from the pocket. Even he still uses his feet when he needs to, and he can kill defenses with it.

Agreed. But now he has developed habits that he will have to unlearn. Elongates the already long learning curve for a rookie QB.

And it only took Vick nine years and two teams to mature.

That's not why I'd draft him. That's why he's different than Gabbert or Mallet, which is what I was replying to.

That's good. However you were saying that was the reason you thought he was for real and not just trying for a payday which I still thinks the worst reason you could come up with. What do you expect the guy to do instead...Lose? College wins and losses mean absolutely nothing

And call me a knee jerker, but I have no confidence in finding a FQB in the later rounds. Of course it's been done but at what success rate?

Who knows? But I'd rather take a chance on one of those lesser QB's who come much cheaper then to over spend for someone else. I'm a fan of the team, not any specific players. And without knowing who's there could I say if the guys a bargain or not. We can't reach on a QB in the first round unless we believe he is the next top 5 QB in the league. I'm sure Newton's got some believing he is the newest top 5 QB in the NFL but I'd be real curious to see his supporters say this.

With the holes we have, I for one advocate trading as many picks we can for 2012, but no one seems to bite on that idea. So does a Watt or Miller or Jones help us more than a Newton? If Newton can't do it of course, but if he's the real deal, you'll be kicking yourself in 2014 when we are stuck debating if Kaepernik or Ponder should be resigned.

I actually love the idea to trade this years picks for more next season. I'd dump the first pick this year for a 2nd this year and a 1st next year. But that's just me, I love that idea. As far as kicking ourselves for a bad QB pick I guess you are ok with kicking yourself for wasting a first round pick on a bust but to me I'd rather throw away a second then a first if we are force to throw one away. I don't think we can reach on a project QB with our #10 pick. We could reach with the second or later pick and be ok not that I want that

That's good. However you were saying that was the reason you thought he was for real and not just trying for a payday which I still thinks the worst reason you could come up with. What do you expect the guy to do instead...Lose? College wins and losses mean absolutely nothing

Who knows? But I'd rather take a chance on one of those lesser QB's who come much cheaper then to over spend for someone else. I'm a fan of the team, not any specific players. And without knowing who's there could I say if the guys a bargain or not. We can't reach on a QB in the first round unless we believe he is the next top 5 QB in the league. I'm sure Newton's got some believing he is the newest top 5 QB in the NFL but I'd be real curious to see his supporters say this.

I actually love the idea to trade this years picks for more next season. I'd dump the first pick this year for a 2nd this year and a 1st next year. But that's just me, I love that idea. As far as kicking ourselves for a bad QB pick I guess you are ok with kicking yourself for wasting a first round pick on a bust but to me I'd rather throw away a second then a first if we are force to throw one away. I don't think we can reach on a project QB with our #10 pick. We could reach with the second or later pick and be ok not that I want that

Well, I thought we could trade the #10 this year for a 1st, 2nd and say a 4th in 2012 given the FA mess with the CBA. Bet we could even get a 2012 1st for our 41st pick.

Shuler, Ramsey, Campbell. None seemed to have worked. Each time, we throw away 5 years. I just can't see us ever winning without one and am willing to wait another 5 years to be sure. I want a freakin QB. But I don't want to reach on one. I'd be willing to take a chance on this kid. I really think he's special. A month ago, I was singing a different tune. The more I learn about this kid, the more I know that whoever drafts him has received a gift from the NFL gods.

Agreed. But now he has developed habits that he will have to unlearn. Elongates the already long learning curve for a rookie QB.

And it only took Vick nine years and two teams to mature.

You act like Michael Vick was bad when he was w/ Atlanta... when healthy, he was a top 10 QB. In addition, we have no idea if Cam Newton is going to have the same maturation issues that Vick did. It's something we cannot predict.

Every QB is going to have to learn a new offense outside of Locker, and what exactly will Cam have to unlearn? He doesn't look to run on passing plays nearly as often as some people here would like to think.

@DanWetzel Newton on limited experience: "not to sound arrogant but what I did in 1 yr what others couldn't do in entire collegiate careers."
Cam's whirlwind media tour is not helping him IMO -

Interesting stat I read before the MNC game. Add a couple more to this.

"His 49 total touchdowns are more than the season totals for 86 different teams. His 294 points are more than the season totals for 44 teams."

You act like Michael Vick was bad when he was w/ Atlanta... when healthy, he was a top 10 QB. In addition, we have no idea if Cam Newton is going to have the same maturation issues that Vick did. It's something we cannot predict.

Is Vick better now, or when he was in Atlanta?

Remember, he was 7-9 in 2006. He was regressing, not progressing.

And I am not saying we should compare the two (its a lazy comparison) - but you brought up Vick when discussing pocket mobility and how it helped him in the NFL - I would argue it was his crutch, and that he never really took the time to learn his progessions and study film until his fall.

It does bear mentioning that Newton relied much more on his running in college than Vick ever did.

Interesting stat I read before the MNC game. Add a couple more to this.

"His 49 total touchdowns are more than the season totals for 86 different teams. His 294 points are more than the season totals for 44 teams."

That is a neat fact. But Tebow had the same type claims, and you did not hear him making comments like this.

These are small issues, and certainly no reason to not have Newton as the 1st or 2nd best QB in the class.

But they are issues none the less, that are important in painting the whole picture of Cam Newton.

What were your thoughts on the "entertainer" quote from Peter King?

Well, I thought we could trade the #10 this year for a 1st, 2nd and say a 4th in 2012 given the FA mess with the CBA. Bet we could even get a 2012 1st for our 41st pick.

I'd jump on board with those trades in a heartbeat.

Shuler, Ramsey, Campbell. None seemed to have worked. Each time, we throw away 5 years. I just can't see us ever winning without one and am willing to wait another 5 years to be sure. I want a freakin QB. But I don't want to reach on one. I'd be willing to take a chance on this kid. I really think he's special. A month ago, I was singing a different tune. The more I learn about this kid, the more I know that whoever drafts him has received a gift from the NFL gods.

Didn't you just say a month ago you weren't all that interested in Newton but now you are? He hasn't played a single game in over a month. This is exactly what I've been saying here all day...this is the typical predraft hype machine. It happens almost every year. And most of the time it fails. You just mentioned 3 first round failures for us. When we draft a QB in the first round we have to be certain he is the right guy. I can't see how this guys the right one just because he won a national championship or looked good doing controlled drills. But no one knows for certain so I could be wrong

Is Vick better now, or when he was in Atlanta?

Remember, he was 7-9 in 2006. He was regressing, not progressing.

He had his best TD/INT ratio in 2006 (It was 20-13) up until that point, 2nd highest passing yardage total, highest rushing total of his entire career, and he did this all the while being sacked 45 times (though he certainly contributed.)

7-9 is a team stat not a QB stat.

And I am not saying we should compare the two (its a lazy comparison) - but you brought up Vick when discussing pocket mobility and how it helped him in the NFL - I would argue it was his crutch, and that he never really took the time to learn his progessions and study film until his fall.

Or he was just a lazy athlete that didn't care all that much about football, and didn't realize what it meant to him until he lost everything. I understand the argument that a mobile QB can lean on their feet in pressure situations so this might hinder them from passing, but watch over the SC game. Cam Newton almost ALWAYS looks to pass when he's scrambling outside the pocket. You honestly should just check out the 7:20 clip, it's worth a watch.

It does bear mentioning that Newton relied much more on his running in college than Vick ever did.

Did he rely on his running or did his scheme rely on his running? He was basically their goalline back. Again go back and watch the SC game, look at how often Cam looks down field when a play is breaking down and he's scrambling around.

Apologies, my memory is failing me. I should have said limited starts instead of one season.

No worries, to be fair it was not my memory that got the attempts totals just a quick google search, but I was sure I recalled Montana being more than a one year starter in College.

Did he rely on his running or did his scheme rely on his running? He was basically their goalline back. Again go back and watch the SC game, look at how often Cam looks down field when a play is breaking down and he's scrambling around.

His running ability certainly forced defenses to play him differently, to his benefit. This will also be the case in the NFL, but not nearly as much as in college.

I would say that ability to extend plays is perhaps his best attribute, and where I see the Big Ben and Freeman comparisons.

Newton just threw out another red flag.

Auburn QB Cam Newton told SI's Peter King Tuesday that he sees himself "not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon."

Responding to a question about his limited experience, Newton also tells Yahoo's Dan Wetzel: "Not to sound arrogant, but what I did in one year others couldn't do in their entire collegiate careers." Together, the two quotes may put a screeching halt to Newton's upward momentum. Teams clearly have concerns about Newton's priorities and character as well as his team of handlers. The mentality that fostered entertainment icon LeBron's "Decision" may play in the NBA, but it won't fly with NFL scouts and coaches. If Newton is so dead-set on reaching icon status, he should study the careers of Brian Bosworth and Ryan Leaf.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6491/cam-newton

Not that this is a huge deal but with his stock soaring right now, what a dumbass statement. Kid has an ego on him.

What were your thoughts on the "entertainer" quote from Peter King?

Just that he has a very charismatic personality.He made a bee-line for the fans after every game and we ate it up and he seemed to enjoy the attention as much as the fans. Cam took the second picture himself. He swiped a camera from a reporter and jumped backwards into the fans at a send-off to the SEC game. Of course, it's easier to have fun when you're winning, but he is one of the biggest hams I've ever watched.

1zlrs6f.jpg

nb245l.jpg

How do people that were clamoring for Tebow last year feel about Newton? To me, Newton is Michael Vick meets Tim Tebow. He's faster than Tebow, and a better passer, and probably has about the same physicality, maybe a little less. A bit more shiftiness though.

If you compare the Heisman years of each, there's not much of a difference. And it's pretty obvious to anyone who follows college ball that the 2007 Gators had waaaay more talent around Tebow than the 2010 Tigers had around Newton.

2007 Tebow

234/350 (66.9%) for 3286 yards (9.4 avg), 32 TD, 6 INT, 172.47 Rating

210 rushes for 895 yards (4.3 avg), 23 TDs

Total passes/rushes: 560

Total yards: 4181 (7.46 avg per play)

Total TDs: 55

2010 Newton

185/280 (66.1%) for 2854 yards (10.2 avg), 30 TD, 7 INT, 182.05 Rating

264 rushes for 1473 yards (5.6 avg), 20 TDs

Total passes/rushes: 544

Total yards: 4327 (7.95 avg per play)

Total TDs: 50

So if you were a fan of Tebow, are you a fan of Newton? And if not, why not?

As for me, I was not high at all on drafting Tebow. But after seeing what he did as a pure athlete for Denver, and seeing what Vick did for the Eagles with his ridiculous athleticism, I'm actually not opposed to us drafting Newton. I think Newton falls somewhere between the two, and I think that would bode well for the Redskins.

Lol I see Payton Manning in every other commercial on TV, Tom Brady is the spokesman for Ugg Boots, and Troy Palamalu is a shampoo model. Plenty of NFL players reach icon status, and those guys grew up during a much different era. It doesn't surprise me that new players who grow up watching these things look forward to it.

His running ability certainly forced defenses to play him differently, to his benefit. This will also be the case in the NFL, but not nearly as much as in college.

I would say that ability to extend plays is perhaps his best attribute, and where I see the Big Ben and Freeman comparisons.

I was trying to think of a player to compare Newton to who was in between Tebow and Vick, and I think you nailed it with Freeman. I think he's essentially Freeman with a higher upside and a lower floor.

Newton just threw out another red flag.

Not that this is a huge deal but with his stock soaring right now, what a dumbass statement. Kid has an ego on him.

Crippling stupidity. He had done so much to rehab his image and then goes off spouting his mouth. I think he was going to be the #1 after the combine. With Gabbert not throwing and his physical gifts on display, he would have been set.

Instead he makes a comment like this and, while it's important to not overreact to this statement, it furthers the perception that he was wiping away. Now as a team you have to wonder, "is this who this kid really is, shining through?"

All possible draftees are putting their best foot forward. The scrutiny is at an all-time high. If you can't keep your trap shut and avoid comments like these a couple of days from the combine, it doesn't say a lot about ones judgment.

I was okay with the idea of Newton at 10. I'm starting to sway the other direction. I'd still support it because Shanahan can probably control him... Tremendous athlete and player, but it would not be surprising to see him piss it all away. It's all moot... even with events like this he's still going in the top 5. Maybe even 1.

Lol I see Payton Manning in every other commercial on TV, Tom Brady is the spokesman for Ugg Boots, and Troy Palamalu is a shampoo model. Plenty of NFL players reach icon status, and those guys grew up during a much different era. It doesn't surprise me that new players who grow up watching these things look forward to it.

You saw Peyton mugging as a prospect? You saw Mr. Sixth round signing huge endorsement deals? There is a huge difference in becoming an icon after the on field success, and making it a goal before even stepping on the field.

I was trying to think of a player to compare Newton to who was in between Tebow and Vick, and I think you nailed it with Freeman. I think he's essentially Freeman with a higher upside and a lower floor.

Exactly. Freeman played three years in an offense where he saw considerable time under center, and played with far inferrior supporting talent. He was a much more rounded prospect coming out, but not nearly the ceiling. Cam's boom or bust, but athletic enough that he'll have a job for a long time - whether he reaches his potential or not.

Here is said video

KEMlwwu464k

Archived