Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

Some context for this game:

AUB had beaten SCAR earlier in the season, 35-27 in a tight game that featured Spurrier pulling his starting quarterback while the outcome was still in doubt (may sound familiar to some of you).

SCAR was coming in hot, with convincing wins at Florida and at Clemson, and a pasting of Troy inbetween.

SCAR had the most sacks in the SEC at the time with Melvin Ingram, Devin Taylor and Cliff Matthews their leaders.

This was nine days after the pay for play reports and a week following the Alabama comeback.

For the game, Newton threw 11 incompletions with no interceptions or sacks. He was hurried 9 times. He fumbled in the 2nd quarter on a strip by Matthews. Here's a description of the 11 incompletions from the boxscore.

A 1-10 S48 Cam Newton across the middle pass incomplete to Darvin Adams.

A 2-10 S30 Cam Newton endzone pass incomplete to Emory Blake.

A 2-6 A46 Cam Newton right flat pass incomplete to Darvin Adams (Byron McKnight).

A 2-8 A19 Cam Newton left flat pass incomplete to O. McCalebb, QB hurry by Antonio

Allen.

A 2-9 A30 Cam Newton left sideline pass incomplete to Kodi Burns.

A 2-7 A27 Cam Newton across the middle pass incomplete to Darvin Adams (D.J.

Swearinger).

A 3-7 A27 Cam Newton across the middle pass incomplete to Darvin Adams, dropped pass.

A 2-1 S29 Cam Newton endzone pass incomplete to Darvin Adams, dropped pass.

A 3-14 S18 Cam Newton left flat pass incomplete to Terrell Zachery, QB hurry by Josh

Dickerson, PENALTY AU illegal formation declined.

A 1-10 S42 Cam Newton endzone pass incomplete to Terrell Zachery (C.C. Whitlock).

A 2-G S07 Cam Newton across the middle pass incomplete to Kodi Burns, QB hurry by

Antonio Allen, QB hurry by Quin Smith.

I could have done that workout.

Nobody is doubting that he's a beast of an athlete. The questions are coming up of him being able to read defenses, and going through progressions. Rather than look at his first read, and then taking off with the football.

At least those are my concerns.

I'm willing to take the chance because he can use his legs to two read for the first couple of years.

WHnjq64aVU0

Found this on Youtube. 15 minute version of Cam Newton's interview and workout today.

Shows all the throws. 5 step drop from center, etc.

Oh my god, a high school QB could do those drills!!! LOL

Why even bring the media or record this??? What is he like LeBron James, where he will get ESPN to host a show for him to decide if he's going to the combine???

Give me a break, this guy is a joke.

Why even bring the media or record this??? What is he like LeBron James, where he will get ESPN to host a show for him to decide if he's going to the combine???

He wanted to show the media what he's been working on during the off season and how he's working under center and practicing the NFL throws. He's the elite prospect of this draft with questions concerning how he'd fit in an NFL offense. This is done almost every year by the elite prospects.

And if by winning the national championship on the past two teams you've played for, being selected in the top 10 of the NFL draft and winning the Heisman in a landslide, then yes... he's a joke. A joke that will be :ols: all the way to the bank.

Oh he's got a lot of LeBron in him for sure. Both the media-whoring ego and the ridiculous talent and size. You take the LeBron ego to get the LeBron talent 11 times out of 10 though.

Hell, LeBron's got a pretty similar entourage of dopey handlers... but every GM in the NBA would give their first born to have him.

In my opinion Newton isn't some egotistical media maniac, he's just a smart prospect. As Tris has pointed out, and as anyone who has half a brain and some knowledge of football should know, Cam Newton is going to excel in workouts. Not only that Cam has an extremely charismatic personality which comes out in interviews. By scheduling this work out, Cam is able to get on the good side of the media, and possibly improve his draft stock. It was a genius move.

Obviously scouts don't listen to the media, but if you continue to hear about how good a player is over and over again, you're probably going to give them a different look if you'd counted them out before, or maybe not rated them as highly as maybe you now think you should.

Nothing about this workout was going to hurt his draft stock, it could only improve.

- Piss poor attitude - Obviously had issues in the past. However more recent footage proves more: Championship game, his team has just about won the National Championship! But he's there pouting on the bench, not even happy that his team is about to win it, shrugs off teammate after game, showed absolutely no passion in his interview except thanking God...

Not 1/10th the joke you are. You've already proven that you're as clueless as a person can get. Is this what you call pouting on the bench. First of all, he wasn't on the bench. He was standing on the sideline with his arm around another player anticipating the winning field goal.

racg49.png

And the person he shrugged off was not a teammate. He was a media guy who had a handful of the back of Cam's jersey and was trying to steer Cam to the cameras when Cam wanted to get onto the field to celebrate with his teammates.

f42nm0.png

There are some very rational arguments against Cam Newton. You have failed to identify a single one. Congrats.

Not 1/10th the joke you are. You've already proven that you're as clueless as a person can get. Is this what you call pouting on the bench. First of all, he wasn't on the bench. He was standing on the sideline with his arm around another player anticipating the winning field goal.

And the person he shrugged off was not a teammate. He was a media guy who had a handful of the back of Cam's jersey and was trying to steer Cam to the cameras when Cam wanted to get onto the field to celebrate with his teammates.

Ok, well I could go through my DVR and find the footage myself if I wanted to, but A. It's not worth the time, and B. I deleted that footage the second the game was over because I saw in my opinion how Cam is way over hyped and wont do **** in the NFL

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 04:34 PM ----------

There are some very rational arguments against Cam Newton. You have failed to identify a single one. Congrats.

This comment right here was regarding those workouts my friend, that any QB 1st string through 3rd string, on a high school roster, could do them... Look in my previous posts to find what your looking for fella

There were a couple of plays that stood out to me in that regards but in general I was pleased to see him keeping his eyes downfield when he was moving looking to make a play with his arm not just tucking it and runing if his first read was covered. That said we are only looking at his completions in that game so watching some full games would give a better picture.

Plays that stood out to me in terms of him going through a progression and showing good paitence :

Pass 2. 2nd and 8 from SC 12. Shotgun. Takes snap and takes 3 step drop, first read is covered, comes off and looks middle and then left. Keeps feet moving and them moves to his right finding receiver who has broken coverage underneath for TD. Showed good patience, and kept the play alive. Reminded me a lot of Big Ben on that play.

Pass 11. 2nd and 12 SC 30. Half roll to his right of a fake to the back. First read is covered – lots of time though so looks deeper and hits receiver on stick throw on the numbers. He certainly has an NFL arm and he showed it there.

Pass 17. 2nd and 10 SC 42. Looks over middle then come over to second read and hits receiver running a go route down the sideline. Receiver actually was slot guy who ran out and up and was again wide open. Nice touch and accuracy on the deep throw to hit his guy in stride down the sideline for big gain.

On all these plays he either holds the safety in the middle and then comes off or he goes through a progression and shows paitence rather than just bailing if his first read is covered. We are just looking at completions but I saw a more polished passer than I had expected.

Those plays really stood out to me too.

In general I was surprised about how few true zone read run plays Auburn ran.

Malzhan does a nice job; I saw a more diverse offense then I remember.

Earlier in the year I saw a passing game that seemed like it was 80% swing passes.

But back to the plays.

I know he's been labeled as a 1 read/progression and run QB.

But, I didn't see a lot of that tendency in this game.

The plays you mentioned show Cam 'reading out' his progressions.

Also, Cam showed the ability to effect the Safety w/ his eye/helmet discipline which was quite a surprise. (based on the reports about him)

In the NFL Cam is gonna have to make the top level plays we saw the norm.

He can't do it sometimes he gonna have to do it everytime.

Ok, well I could go through my DVR and find the footage myself if I wanted to, but A. It's not worth the time, and B. I deleted that footage the second the game was over because I saw in my opinion how Cam is way over hyped and wont do **** in the NFL

---------- Post added February-11th-2011 at 04:34 PM ----------

This comment right here was regarding those workouts my friend, that any QB 1st string through 3rd string, on a high school roster, could do them... Look in my previous posts to find what your looking for fella

What a cop-out. I posted pics that show you are wrong and I can post plenty more. Very lame when you won't backup your post.

Besides, I'll take HOF quarterback Warren Moon's opinion over anything you have.

• 2 weeks later...

Cam vs UGA

This is the game that I think best shows how high Cam's ceiling is as a passer. There are several eye-popping throws in this game.

The throw @ 3:40ish is about as good a throw as you're going to see on any level. The rush is bearing down on him and he ropes it downfield over the coverage.

@5:50 TD throw is also elite. Very tight window.

@9:40 he throws to the sideline with NFL starter zip and accuracy.

I agree...The Bills would be crazy not to draft him, and even if they didn't he won't make it our pick at #10...

At the end of the day I'm a fan of football and not just the Skins.

Chan Gailey's offensive brilliance and skill w/ QBs would be the perfect mix w/ Newton's skillset.

He wouldn't even be in our conference so I could root for him and the Bills without feeling guilty.

Personally, I don't want another OVERHYPED AUBURN QB to don a Redskins uniform.

He may have potential, but he is a ONE year college wonder, and hence a high risk. He is athletic, but is inaccurate passer, and his off-field activities with his dad puts his character in question.

The top 3 most cited all purpose knocks that can be applied to any QB are:

o he 'holds' the ball too long

o doesn't/can't make reads or its variation can be stated as 'stares' down receivers

o is inaccurate

Those knocks are easy to make and can be applied to almost any QB b/c every QB will do any of those over the course of season sometimes over the course of a game.

Those knocks are so non-specific they're nearly impossible to disprove.

And its seems kinda of an empty way to knock a QB without really knowing a whole lot about a QB.

oh, another all purpose knock for college QBs: he plays in a spread

edit: also mix in reliance on mainly on stats to make an argument w/o evaluation of the actual prospects skillset

---------- Post added February-20th-2011 at 07:29 PM ----------

Personally, I don't want another OVERHYPED AUBURN QB to don a Redskins uniform.

He may have potential, but he is a ONE year college wonder, and hence a high risk. He is athletic, but is inaccurate passer, and his off-field activities with his dad puts his character in question.

Can you point to anything that supports your statement that Newton is inaccurate?

Are there any plays that you can point to from this game that support your view that he's inaccurate?

Pretty neat video of Cam's season with a little of Florida and Blinn. I thought the pay scandal broke before the Alabama game, but it was prior to Ole Miss. Something I hadn't appreciated before about the LSU run: Peterson is within arm's length at the 15 and advantaged with momentum, but doesn't get hold of him til the 7. That burst of Cam's is filthy.

What a spectacular player. While it offends my BigXII sensibilities to do so, I have to put Newton ahead of both Vince and Josh as prospects. When you boil it down, Vince didn't throw it like a pro and Josh wasn't the same difference-maker for the Cats.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/02/22/gil-brandt-would-be-shocked-if-cam-newton-isnt-taken-first-overall/

“It would shock me . . . if he’s not the first player picked,” Brandt told the Forth Worth Star-Telegram on Monday. “If I was drafting and I had Carolina’s [No. 1] pick, I’d feel really good about who I was getting as far as ability. I just hope he realizes how hard he needs to work.”

http://www.101espn.com/post/78404_combine_concerns_offensive_players

Cam Newton: Early out junior with exceptional athletic skills, good size and speed (not to mention a Heisman in his back pocket). The newest member of the New York Athletic Club will be asked 100 times this week about the situation he put his coaches and teammates through this past season for several weeks about the money his father requested from Mississippi State. For me there are three other major concerns.

1. Mental: His ability to absorb the playbook with good comprehension and retention.

2. Leadership qualities: His ability to lead 53 men at a young age.

3. Work ethic: Arrive early and stay late. One thing Sam Bradford found out playing quarterback in the NFL is that it’s a job and an adventure. Newton must have the makeup that tells you he will work hard to get a complete grasp of the offense.

I agree...The Bills would be crazy not to draft him, and even if they didn't he won't make it our pick at #10...

You've got Carolina, Bills, Bengals, Cardinals, 49ers, Titans ahead of us.

I think it's safe to say the 49ers and Titans won't grab him. If he slips past the bills, all eyes would be on the Cardinals in my opinion.

Those that REALLY want Cam, the Bills and the Cardinals will be our enemy.

Good news is that both teams think they have something in their young ones.

ETA: As I've said all along, he's going #1 overall anyways so it's not even worth getting excited about.

What kind of drills did you all expect? The drills at the combine are actually the exact same drills high school players do at college combine's. So I don't get why people expected Cam Newton to do something out of this world. The scouts will know what to look for. Us as fans aren't expected to get as much from watching this. It's just my opinion, but it seems you are being overly critical.

I think in these videos Cam actually shows better pocket presence than the Gabbert video posted. To me, Gabbert seems to panic in the pocket after his first read. Newton seems more composed and consistently is looking down field to make a throw. He doesn't seem to be the tuck and run QB people are projecting him to be. When a pass is called, he is looking down field to pass, and even if he starts to scramble, his eyes are still down field. The more I watch, the more I think he'll be the best QB out of this class by far.

Archived