Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

smarts and decision making are the #1 factor to a QB, everything else can be fixed with training. give me the smart guy that makes great decisions who might not have the best arm coming out of college.

Sadly we aren't privvy to know enough about the prospects smarts w/o speculation.

Also, decision making to a certain extent is linked to efficiency and Cam is very efficient QB.

And actually everything else cannot be fixed w/ training but I digress.

Any comments on the game Auburn vs USC game?

Two things that stuck out to me DG when I watched was the arm strength, I mean the guy has a cannon of an arm and there's no denying it. The fake WR screen/end around to Adams was a beautifully placed pass

The other thing that stood out was his playmaking ability, not only just the running and big plays off of it but also the creativity he had. Especially when he came up into the pocket and then shoveled the pass off to #32 for a 1st down

You honestly don't think you can compare the personalities of 2 men based upon these facts do you? We are talking about a Heisman winning National Championship QB not a knucklehead WR who was even unknow to most people on this board until a few weeks before the draft.

Also, I knew all that stupid **** you wrote up there...so what? You can't base one mans future off another mans lack of production and some similarity. Am I the only one who thinks this is retarded?

Cam Newton is a knucklehead too. If you think otherwise then you've got your head inserted all of the way up your ass. Those things I rattled off are major flags that both prospects shared. Those were major reasons why Devin was a failure and bust. I think it's retarded to ignore the exact same flags that pop up for Newton, some of them to an even greater extent.

Why would you raise a red flag on this? Coaches and scouts will get Newton at the combine, his pro day, and individual workouts...As Newton said himself on NFLN last Friday, "people question his work ethic, and his passion, for football, so he just wants to show people, what he has been working on and the progress he has made since the end of his college season...IMO the more exposure the better especially if he shows well...I mean b/c he is the least experienced QB of the top QB's he has a lot of question marks to answer and he is starting that process....

I find the concern over Newton father laughable...Newton's agent is Bus Cooke, I'm sure if he thought it was a bad idea he wouldnt let him do it...

Never said it ruins him as a prospect. I'm big on Newton's potential. He's probably got the highest ceiling of any QB in the draft. I like him. He's probably my favorite QB prospect.

He has some red flags. Thats all.

Two things that stuck out to me DG when I watched was the arm strength, I mean the guy has a cannon of an arm and there's no denying it. The fake WR screen/end around to Adams was a beautifully placed pass

Yeah, just look at pass #18 he throws a 50+ yard throw w/ ease imagine if he really uncorked one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0_9suqhnPY

He also threw the sideline/outside the hash comebacks and outs w/ great the velocity.

From the passing chart I thought passes: 1,2,4,8,10,22,25 were good example of his arm.

th_CaminSECChampionshipGame.jpg

The other thing that stood out was his playmaking ability, not only just the running and big plays off of it but also the creativity he had. Especially when he came up into the pocket and then shoveled the pass off to #32 for a 1st down

I rank a QB's ability to improv to make a play after the designed play breaks down is pretty high on my evaluation list.

After spending a year at Blinn where the offense involved a lot of Cam just running around and making plays I think he's picked up a knack for it.

Cam is one of if not the best playmaker of this years QB group.

*(you should watch some of his Blinn clips they're funny)

My favorite CN pass was in the Kentucky game when Cam threw the football 40 yards to a crossing WR while in the air falling backwards.

What did you see from this game?

My favorite pass is #22 @ the 4:22s

He holds the safety in the middle of the field with his eyes which allows him to connect on the out & up for the TD

These type of plays will need to become the standard.

Cam played against Oregon in pain from a back injury, but I was also told he had a cracked rib the second half. Anyway, he definitely was trying to gut that thing out to the end. From running back Michael Dyer after the game.........

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_posnanski/01/11/bcs.game/index.html

"Tonight I kind of picked it up for (Cam)," Dyer would say. "I knew he was in pain and hurt and feeling frustration. But he still played. He didn't quit. He didn't have any reason -- he didn't say, 'My back hurts so I couldn't do this or that.' He just said: 'I'm going to suck it up and keep going.' And he kept fighting."

Newton took the snap. The goal here was, presumably, to run off a few more seconds so that the field goal would be the last play of the game. But, really, the goal was a Newton touchdown. Everyone knew that was how this charmed, remarkable, absurd, contentious and wonderful season should end. Cam Newton had been responsible for 51 touchdowns. The movie finish was touchdown No. 52. So, no, Newton did not take a knee. He drove forward. And, as it was for much of the game, he was stuffed. He was knocked back even for a loss. Oregon had done everything they could do.

On the next play, Auburn kicker Wes Byrum made the field goal that won the game and the BCS Championship.

"I don't want nobody to feel sorry for me," Newton would say after the game, when someone asked him how he was feeling. Newton did look a bit dazed and in pain but also blissfully happy.

"I'm OK," he said of his painful and winning day. "It was worth it."

The 2011 Redskins might be in the market to acquire a QB in the upcoming draft and there are several good prospects.

The aim of this series of threads is to conduct a layman's evaluation and discussion of the QBs by look past the stats and the often parroted rhetoric available through media and draft sites.

The goal is to look in depth and discuss the top prospects in action.

The springboard for the discussion will be the commonly available game cut-ups (not highlights) on youtube and may extend to torrents (if there's interest).

All are welcome with the expectation that specific plays will be discussed whenever possible.

In the off chance you know......anyone wants to...you know....... actually discuss the game and all..........here just click the image to link directly to the game....th_CaminSECChampionshipGame.jpg

**We couldn't fine a true game cut-up the above clip has all of Newton's completion instead of all Newton's passes.

These are the plays that stood out to me. (Many of them are time marked so you can jump to those specific plays)

1) Shotgun Play Action then Pump Fake WR screen left-(plenty of time in a clean pocket) then hits the right side WR on a deep Slant-Seam route. OT+ TAR+ IS+ from Auburn's 15 yd line to USC's 25 yard a 40+ yard through w/ ease good footwork nice release

3) Shotgun escapes sack starts to scramble up the middle with his eyes downfield spots the RB and makes a nifty shovel pass flick to the RB:50s

4) Shotgun 2 step drop clean footwork throws in rhythm sideline hitch left OT+ TAR+ IS+ quick release ball got there in a hurry

5) Shotgun takes off jukes the hell out of the spy gains 14+ yards gets down to avoid hit-great run

8) Shotgun PA half roll out- pressure in the face- makes nice touch pass on TE drag left to right OT+ TAR+ IS+ 2:24s

9) Shotgun Pump n Go right sideline vs all out blitz picked up beautifully- delivers OT+ TAR+ IS+

to wide open Darvin Adams TD!

...from Auburn 35 to their 30 about a 40 yard throw on a line w/ late pressure closing in 2:37s

**10) Shotgun drop backs hits left WR on a 12 yd comeback OT+ TAR+ IS+ ball got there in a hurry

15) Shotgun-dash right no pressure keeps eyes downfield, pressure comes throws a shuffle/scramble throws goofy foot fading away arm pass OT+ OT- IS- 3:13s

18) Shotgun dash right from their 45 to the 3 yards deep in the endzone steps into uncorks it looks like he had plenty of arm left (50+ yard throw) TD

21) Shotgun PA feels and avoids pressure scrambles effortlessly to his left for a 20 yard gain (this run was Randall Cunninghamesque)

**22) (Plenty of time/clean pocket) Shotgun straight drop back-maintains good helmet discipline down the center of the field until the last second when he looks/pivots left and hits a WR that beat the CB on and out and up and Cam beat the Safety w/ the good eye discipline and throw (from the 50 to the 10 40 yd throw w/ ease) OT+ TAR+ IS+ 4:22s

24) Shotgun zone read keeper runs left full speed jump-cut to pick up the 1st down nice play -gifted open field runner 5:38

25) Shotgun Pump & Go (clean pocket) slot wheel route right steps up throws OT+ TAR+ IS+

What do you guys see from this game?

Cam played against Oregon in pain from a back injury, but I was also told he had a cracked rib the second half. Anyway, he definitely was trying to gut that thing out to the end. From running back Michael Dyer after the game.........

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/joe_posnanski/01/11/bcs.game/index.html

"Tonight I kind of picked it up for (Cam)," Dyer would say. "I knew he was in pain and hurt and feeling frustration. But he still played. He didn't quit. He didn't have any reason -- he didn't say, 'My back hurts so I couldn't do this or that.' He just said: 'I'm going to suck it up and keep going.' And he kept fighting."

2011-01-10_5880.jpg

2011-01-10_5528.jpg

I mean I watched it and he looked good, but was in shorts and had no real pass rush or anything to worry about. I'm still skeptical but he looked good in the workout

I could have done that workout.

Nobody is doubting that he's a beast of an athlete. The questions are coming up of him being able to read defenses, and going through progressions. Rather than look at his first read, and then taking off with the football.

At least those are my concerns.

I gotta say after watching that interview... oooooohhhheeee. That boy is gonna blow scouts and teams away come interview time at the combine. Hes got crazy charisma. Its just contagious. He had me cheesin' watching this vid. He reminds me a bit of Kobe Bryant for some reason. I don't know why, but thats just the first thing that popped in my head.

He's also extremely articulate and pretty damn intelligent. WTF was he doing cheating 3 different times at Florida.

From his workout. Saw alot of what I expected. Doesn't look completely comfortable or natural in his dropbacks from center. His short to intermediate still needs some work but his deepball is perrrty.

I could have done that workout.

Nobody is doubting that he's a beast of an athlete. The questions are coming up of him being able to read defenses, and going through progressions. Rather than look at his first read, and then taking off with the football.

At least those are my concerns.

What college quarterback can read NFL defenses? None. Newton read and ran because he was asked to. And it was proven successful.

Can he read NFL defenses? Who knows. That's what interviews are for. You know the sort of information none of us are privy to at this point.

I gotta say after watching that interview... oooooohhhheeee. That boy is gonna blow scouts and teams away come interview time at the combine. Hes got crazy charisma. Its just contagious. He had me cheesin' watching this vid. He reminds me a bit of Kobe Bryant for some reason. I don't know why, but thats just the first thing that popped in my head.

He's also extremely articulate and pretty damn intelligent. WTF was he doing cheating 3 different times at Florida.

From his workout. Saw alot of what I expected. Doesn't look completely comfortable or natural in his dropbacks from center. His short to intermediate still needs some work but his deepball is perrrty.

He didn't cheat 3 different times at Florida. Thayer Evans put that junk out, and there is zero evidence it ever happened other than he said/she said rumors. Do you believe everything from these sports tabloid dirtbags trying to make a rep trashing college kids and getting their ugly face on ESPN?

No doubt, from the passing chart I think that's play #23 if you like that look at play #7 should be around the 2:00ish minute mark.

I like the plays where you can see him going through his progressions like play #22 @ 4:22 mark that is a top level NFL play there.

There were a couple of plays that stood out to me in that regards but in general I was pleased to see him keeping his eyes downfield when he was moving looking to make a play with his arm not just tucking it and runing if his first read was covered. That said we are only looking at his completions in that game so watching some full games would give a better picture.

Plays that stood out to me in terms of him going through a progression and showing good paitence :

Pass 2. 2nd and 8 from SC 12. Shotgun. Takes snap and takes 3 step drop, first read is covered, comes off and looks middle and then left. Keeps feet moving and them moves to his right finding receiver who has broken coverage underneath for TD. Showed good patience, and kept the play alive. Reminded me a lot of Big Ben on that play.

Pass 11. 2nd and 12 SC 30. Half roll to his right of a fake to the back. First read is covered – lots of time though so looks deeper and hits receiver on stick throw on the numbers. He certainly has an NFL arm and he showed it there.

Pass 17. 2nd and 10 SC 42. Looks over middle then come over to second read and hits receiver running a go route down the sideline. Receiver actually was slot guy who ran out and up and was again wide open. Nice touch and accuracy on the deep throw to hit his guy in stride down the sideline for big gain.

On all these plays he either holds the safety in the middle and then comes off or he goes through a progression and shows paitence rather than just bailing if his first read is covered. We are just looking at completions but I saw a more polished passer than I had expected.

As I have said all along, Newton is going to shine the brightest in this stage of evaluation - workouts and interviews.

I think from watching any Auburn game his physical skills standout.

BTW never got a response to this post:

There's a lot to like w/ Newton.

The more I look at the type of QB Kyle has coached in the past and Kyle's Houston version of Mike's Denve WCO offense it probably doesn't require a 1st round talent at QB.

I too like Ricky Stanzi as mid-late round developmental prospect.

If there's interest there is a complete game cut-up of Iowa available maybe another poster *ahem* could lead the way on a Stanzi thread?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6pmkJcn5U0&feature=related

Can I count on you to do some leg work on a Stanzi thread?

Anyway from watching this game specifically:

th_CaminSECChampionshipGame.jpg

These are the plays that stood out to me. (Many of them are time marked so you can jump to those specific plays)

1) Shotgun Play Action then Pump Fake WR screen left-(plenty of time in a clean pocket) then hits the right side WR on a deep Slant-Seam route. OT+ TAR+ IS+ from Auburn's 15 yd line to USC's 25 yard a 40+ yard through w/ ease good footwork nice release

3) Shotgun escapes sack starts to scramble up the middle with his eyes downfield spots the RB and makes a nifty shovel pass flick to the RB:50s

4) Shotgun 2 step drop clean footwork throws in rhythm sideline hitch left OT+ TAR+ IS+ quick release ball got there in a hurry

5) Shotgun takes off jukes the hell out of the spy gains 14+ yards gets down to avoid hit-great run

8) Shotgun PA half roll out- pressure in the face- makes nice touch pass on TE drag left to right OT+ TAR+ IS+ 2:24s

9) Shotgun Pump n Go right sideline vs all out blitz picked up beautifully- delivers OT+ TAR+ IS+

to wide open Darvin Adams TD!

...from Auburn 35 to their 30 about a 40 yard throw on a line w/ late pressure closing in 2:37s

**10) Shotgun drop backs hits left WR on a 12 yd comeback OT+ TAR+ IS+ ball got there in a hurry

15) Shotgun-dash right no pressure keeps eyes downfield, pressure comes throws a shuffle/scramble throws goofy foot fading away arm pass OT+ OT- IS- 3:13s

18) Shotgun dash right from their 45 to the 3 yards deep in the endzone steps into uncorks it looks like he had plenty of arm left (50+ yard throw) TD

21) Shotgun PA feels and avoids pressure scrambles effortlessly to his left for a 20 yard gain (this run was Randall Cunninghamesque)

**22) (Plenty of time/clean pocket) Shotgun straight drop back-maintains good helmet discipline down the center of the field until the last second when he looks/pivots left and hits a WR that beat the CB on and out and up and Cam beat the Safety w/ the good eye discipline and throw (from the 50 to the 10 40 yd throw w/ ease) OT+ TAR+ IS+ 4:22s

24) Shotgun zone read keeper runs left full speed jump-cut to pick up the 1st down nice play -gifted open field runner 5:38

25) Shotgun Pump & Go (clean pocket) slot wheel route right steps up throws OT+ TAR+ IS+

What do you see from this game?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think from watching any Auburn game his physical skills standout.

BTW never got a response to this post:

Can I count on you to do some leg work on a Stanzi thread?

To be honest I thought the ahem was directed towards MartinC, lol. But, yea, we can do that. You'll probably have to give me a couple days because I have a couple things going on right now but I'll get to it little by little. Which game were you referring to on you tube?

Archived