Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

You saw Peyton mugging as a prospect? You saw Mr. Sixth round signing huge endorsement deals? There is a huge difference in becoming an icon after the on field success, and making it a goal before even stepping on the field.

They probably didn't make it a goal because of the era they grew up in. They are the players who actually brought the icon era to football. And I have read plenty of quotes from when Brady and Manning were prospects that sound extremely arrogant, but when it works out the way things have, it's just moxy and that "it" factor. Hell, I'm a huge Aaron Rodgers fan, and he was seen as arrogant as hell too, but now it's just swagger. Not every QB is going to be Tim Tebow.

Crippling stupidity. He had done so much to rehab his image and then goes off spouting his mouth. I think he was going to be the #1 after the combine. With Gabbert not throwing and his physical gifts on display, he would have been set.

Instead he makes a comment like this and, while it's important to not overreact to this statement, it furthers the perception that he was wiping away. Now as a team you have to wonder, "is this who this kid really is, shining through?"

I was okay with the idea of Newton at 10. I'm starting to sway the other direction. I'd still support it because Shanahan can probably control him... Tremendous athlete and player, but it would not be surprising to see him piss it all away. It's all moot... even with events like this he's still going in the top 5. Maybe even 1.

I agree with you. On high school signing day Auburn signed a defensive lineman who on ESPN put on an Auburn cap with the words "Nick Who". This angered a lot of media people because here was a kid who had never taken a college snap claiming he would be better than Nick Fairley who had just won the Lombardi Award.

Same sort of situation for Cam going from college level to NFL. It's okay to have confidence but don't say you're an NFL icon before you are even drafted. I hope it doesn't hurt him, but comes across as arrogant.

No worries, to be fair it was not my memory that got the attempts totals just a quick google search, but I was sure I recalled Montana being more than a one year starter in College.

No he was a little over one and a half college season starter. He wasn't never a two year starter as he began the season as a starter third on the depth chart.

And again I'll say it. What in the blue hell does Joe Montana who was a 3rd round pick have to do with Cam Newton who by all accounts is a top 10 draft pick in the 1st round....

1 guys a chance flier in the 3rd round

1 guys a sure thing hit going in picks 1-10

They sure as hell aren't the same thing. And referring to Cam Newton as the next Joe Montana makes no sense what so ever. They are completely different players. And Joe Montana was one of the best all time. Cam Newtons never taken a snap in the NFL ever. Once again I am reminded of the QB hype train that runs this time of year. Newtons nothing more then this years flavor of the year I guess...even more the reason to pass on taking him.

Before Aaron Rodgers took over for Brett, he told interviewer's that he was 100% sure that Brett had played his last down as a Packer(Favre was still on the team), and he thought that Brett would not bounce back with any other team. This is before he did squat in the NFL, and he's talking about a first ballot HOF QB. Yes he is arrogant, but it doesn't matter now because he is a Super Bowl MVP. Arrogance is hardly a red flag.

Wow this thread blew up.

Tris answered it for me already but who said anything about Gabbart?

Actually Tris really didn't answer the question I posed to you.

He answered why Cam's work ethic could be questioned based on his history as did MartinC:

My question is given all the flags about his character how hard is going to work when he becomes a multi millionaire?.....So I do think the question 'how hard will he work as a Pro' is a legitimate question. It's a question you need to ask about all the prospects but I think there are more flags around Newton in this area than Gabbert for example. I think there are even bigger questions in this area around Mallet.....

I just don't agree that's its more of question mark for Cam because of his 'cutting corners' off the field.

I don't see a correlation between football work ethic and overall work ethic.

Many of the athletes I knew in college had a much higher sport related work ethic then anything else in their lives.

And these guys were not choir boys to say the least but I guess things that happened then were more easily ignored or swept under the rug.

I can guess I can see the validity of having a question markin that regards.

And maybe I'm making too fine a distinction for an football discussion forum.

But having a question about Cam's work ethic is quite different from stating that you don't see the work ethic required to be successful in the NFL:

I don't see the work ethic required in him to make it at the next level

The only thing we know about Cam's football related work ethic has been good and post college he's been in San Deigo apparently working pretty hard.

Just like Blaine Gabbert is working hard w/ his team.

I don't understand how you can have a negative read on Cam's football work ethic to the point where you think his work ethic will be the cause of his failure.

They sure as hell aren't the same thing. And referring to Cam Newton as the next Joe Montana makes no sense what so ever. They are completely different players. And Joe Montana was one of the best all time. Cam Newtons never taken a snap in the NFL ever. Once again I am reminded of the QB hype train that runs this time of year. Newtons nothing more then this years flavor of the year I guess...even more the reason to pass on taking him.

Bad example I guess. The way I read it, you were saying that the guys with short college careers and who win the NC tend to suck as pros. I recalled Montana fitting into that. I didn't catch the bit about first round, and they aren't similar prospects obviously.

Did you mean spread QBs? Also, it isn't inherently a bad thing for a guy to win the championship and be talented, is it?

His running ability certainly forced defenses to play him differently, to his benefit. This will also be the case in the NFL, but not nearly as much as in college.

Of course.

I would say that ability to extend plays is perhaps his best attribute, and where I see the Big Ben and Freeman comparisons.

It's certainly one of his better attributes.

I just don't agree that's its more of question mark for Cam because of his 'cutting corners' off the field.

If someones going to cut corners that could impact his ability to play football in college more then a few times he will likely continue making questionable decisions in the pro's as well. The makeup of a man is what seperates him from another human being, he doesn't just turn it off when he hits the football field. He could be an amazing player but have the propensity to be more like Vincent Jackson (2 DUI's). Once an idiot, always an idiot. He could be a great on the field person but off it he could be lacking which is what I think about his past..million dollar football ability...10 cent mind. Terrible for a QB that ran as much as he did in college. It won't turn out well for him. Once the hype rocket fizzles out he'll be screwed.

I don't see a correlation between football work ethic and overall work ethic.

Many of the athletes I knew when I was in college had a much higher sport related work ethic then anything else in their lives.

I knew guys that weren't like that...I knew guys who were exactly like that and much more so. Your saying that on the field and off the field personalities are always different? I strongly disagree. It may be different for some, most it's not. Hanyesworth showed this year that he's a piece of crap off the field and on it.

Do you actually think that someone who's shown several times to bend the rules to suddenly act like a Saint just because he's got some money? Work ethic is work ethic and Cam Newton to do well in the NFL needs to work on his game. Think he will? Who knows. Once he gets paid who knows. The point your missing is that with the 10th pick overall in the draft why would you risk it? Why risk paying some jack ass who thinks way way too highly of himself and has the personality of committing crimes as this teams face and savior? Why do that? Because he won the "National Championship"? Because Mayock or some draft idiot thinks he's the greatest ever? People said the same about Jarmarcus. No thank you

The last time the Redskins took a chance on a player with serious character concerns, but boat loads of physical potential was 2004. That player was Sean Taylor, and he was drafted 5th overall, take what you will from it.

Dude, Sean Taylor was the top stud Free Safety...no questions asked in that draft year. He was a safety and not a QB the potential face for this franchise for a couple of years. Comparism fail....oh by the way he wasn't busted trying to get rid of a stolen laptop by shoving it through a window as the cops were closing in on him......Seriously, you guys trying to overlook this kids character just for physical skills are scary. Any other position maybe, but NEVER the QB position, the FACE of your FRANCHISE....JESUS H CHRIST!!!!!

He could be a great on the field person but off it he could be lacking which is what I think about his past..million dollar football ability...10 cent mind. Terrible for a QB that ran as much as he did in college. It won't turn out well for him. Once the hype rocket fizzles out he'll be screwed.

Nice to see you're keeping an open mind.

And btw you never answered my question; but I gather you assume that Cam has questionable work ethic b/c he cut corners.

The point your missing is that with the 10th pick overall in the draft why would you risk it?

The point you're missing is that his work ethic might not be in question at all once teams conduct there research.

But, at this point we are in no position to say with certainity one way or the other; which is something you are doing that I'm not doing.

For me Cam's football work ethic isn't in question anymore then any other QBs.

Why risk paying some jack ass who thinks way way too highly of himself and has the personality of committing crimes as this teams face and savior?

Wow, the bolded portion of your post is classy.

Now that we know how you feel about Cam.

You've made it clear there is no reason to take you seriously.

Nice.

Wow, the bolded portion of your post is classy.

Now that we know how you feel about Cam.

You've made it clear there is no reason to take you seriously.

Nice.

Cam Newton is showing himself to be a class A head case. I'm sorry if you don't like that but it's true. Plugging your fingers in your ear isn't going to change anything.

He bought a stolen laptop knowing it was stolen. That should tell anyone with two functioning neurons that there is a good chance of a character problem. More than that, as a high profile athlete with NFL aspirations, it was an incredibly stupid. Now, without having proven anything in the NFL he says "I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon". And you don't see a problem with that? Really? If there is anyone not to be taken seriously, I'm pretty sure it's you.

Dude, Sean Taylor was the top stud Free Safety...no questions asked in that draft year

He was also a FS drafted in the top 5.. Free safeties aren't drafted in the top 5 often, while QB's are an entirely different story. It isn't odd to see two QB's go in the top 5.

He was a safety and not a QB the potential face for this franchise for a couple of years. Comparism fail....

In case you forgot, Sean Taylor was the face of this franchise for a few years. His jersey is still the most common jersey seen in the stadium.

oh by the way he wasn't busted trying to get rid of a stolen laptop by shoving it through a window as the cops were closing in on him......

Neither was Ryan Mallett... does that mean he doesn't have character concerns? Is buying a stolen laptop the only thing you can do to create character concerns? If not what are your implying with this sentence, or what is the point of it.

Seriously, you guys trying to overlook this kids character just for physical skills are scary. Any other position maybe, but NEVER the QB position, the FACE of your FRANCHISE....JESUS H CHRIST!!!!!

Simmer down now.

You know what I find scary? The fact that someone can read a couple articles about one or two events in a persons young life, and then come to conclusions on that persons character. I pray to god, no one judges my character by picking two mistakes I made prior to adulthood.

Craziest part of all of it. It happened two years ago, when he was 19. Who's to say someone can't mature?

Dude, Sean Taylor was the top stud Free Safety...no questions asked in that draft year. He was a safety and not a QB the potential face for this franchise for a couple of years. Comparism fail....oh by the way he wasn't busted trying to get rid of a stolen laptop by shoving it through a window as the cops were closing in on him......Seriously, you guys trying to overlook this kids character just for physical skills are scary. Any other position maybe, but NEVER the QB position, the FACE of your FRANCHISE....JESUS H CHRIST!!!!!

Wow. Freak out much?

I could easily make the case that Sean Taylor had more off-field and character concerns then Newton coming into the draft. Eaaasily. The only point you have in that post, and its still not dead on, is that there is a difference because of the position they play. But, at the same time Newtons personality and arrogance won't mean a damn thing if he puts the work in. They are character concerns that will be swept under the rug. Sean's concerns were more related to the crowd he hung with were a bunch of thugs and at certain points in his life he acted as one as well. But, Sean grew up fast. It remains to be seen if Newton will.

Cam Newton is showing himself to be a class A head case. I'm sorry if you don't like that but it's true. Plugging your fingers in your ear isn't going to change anything.

He bought a stolen laptop knowing it was stolen. That should tell anyone with two functioning neurons that there is a good chance of a character problem. More than that, as a high profile athlete with NFL aspirations, it was an incredibly stupid. Now, without having proven anything in the NFL he says "I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon". And you don't see a problem with that? Really? If there is anyone not to be taken seriously, I'm pretty sure it's you.

Your really taking DG's post's out of context. People are basically saying Newton is a POS who should be damned to hell because he bought a stolen laptop. DG is saying that everyone makes mistakes and you shouldn't judge anyone's character on 1 or 2 events and the bolded portion of your post shows that you somewhat agree with him. You seem to just be dogpiling for the hell of it.

If accepting the fact that there are things we cannot know about a person with actually knowing the person means I shouldn't be taken seriously then I'm glad of it.

HTTR

DG, do you really not have concerns about Newton given his past and immature statements made today?

So you are saying you don't take character concerns into consideration when looking at any prospect?

If accepting the fact that there are things we cannot know about a person with actually knowing the person means I shouldn't be taken seriously then I'm glad of it.

HTTR

Your right, we should never judge a person on their actions or the things they say. And we damn sure should never judge a person on how they act when they don't think anyone is looking (laptop... cough, cough). [/sARC]

I give up, sweep his past character concerns under the rug? WTF!!! If he was working as a janitor maybe, but there is no bloody way, if I was an employer, giving the kid's checkered history, would I give him $30 million plus guranteed, but I am done since there are some here who don't care as long as their QB can throw the ball a mile and can run like a deer. I am out, good luck to whoever drafts this kid in the top ten....

Your right, we should never judge a person on their actions or the things they say. And we damn sure should never judge a person on how they act when they don't think anyone is looking (laptop... cough, cough). [/sARC]

You know he stole a laptop 2 years ago when he was 19, and that he's arrogant in interviews. That is really all you need to know about someone to judge their character?

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 07:50 PM ----------

I give, sweep his past character concerns under the rug? WTF!!! If he was working as a janitor maybe, but there is no bloody way, if I was an employer, giving the kids checkered history, would I give him $30 million plus guranteed, but I am done since there are some here who don't care as long as their QB can thorugh the ball a mile and can run like a deer. I am out, good luck to whoever drafts this kid in the top ten....

I truly hope you, madmike, and addicted will gladly eat crow if Cam succeeds.

This is from December. Go ahead and add his ill-advised comment today to the spirit of this post.

I could buy that if there was one incident. I could stretch if there were two. But there have been three major scandals involving Cam Newton over the past three years, and a pattern has emerged.

If he was only charged with three felonies associated with the laptop, I could buy that he made a mistake and despite knowingly purchasing stolen goods, we can chalk that up to being a 18 year old kid. Fine, I'll buy that, after all, he was never actually convicted of any felony, and as it was his first offense, no big deal. (Never mind that I can't think of franchise QB who was ever charged with a felony in college, but hey, first time for everything)

Now maybe he was the subject of a random act of yellow journalism, in which he was wrongly accused of cheating, and this hit piece somehow spawned independent rumors of his classroom attendence at Auburn. If that was an isolated incident, sure. Journalistic integrity is certainly not peaking right now.

And I can do the necessary mental gymnastics to convince myself that Newton, who was recruited by Dan Mullen, and cited Mullen's departure from Florida as a major reason for transferring to Blinn, decided that despite his strong connections to Mullen, decided to go to Auburn completely independent of his father requesting money from MSU (presumablely to match Auburn's offer). And we can all just agree to assume that no money ever actually changed hands, the church was renovated as the Lord works in mysterious ways, and that the contracts that Cecil's trucking company were flooded with following his signing with Auburn were just coincidence. Or, even if any of this may or may not have occurred, Newton was simply a victim, blind to how he was being sold. And we can speculate as to why the NCAA was able to rule Newton elligable after only one day, despite taking over four years to investigate Reggie Bush. And we can ignore that the investigation is on going. All these things we can do. I can certainly see this from your (an Auburn fan's) perspective, it's not the first time its happened. It's a whole lot of "ifs" to get there, but it is technically possible.

But don't you see the pattern here? At BEST, Cam has an incredible nack for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. And as he really does seem to have an infectous personality, and that megawatt smile, its easy to breeze over his checkered past and dismiss it as nothing more that either coincidence or a massively complex conspiracy. But isn't it a whole lot easier to just acknowledge that maybe, just maybe, Newton is a guy that is willing to cut corners? That's the logical conclusion. Usually the simplest answer is the correct answer.

Let me make it clear, I am not worried about Newton failing drug tests, committing crimes, or things of that nature in the NFL. What I am concerned about is if he is going to put his all into being the best possible QB he can be. What I am concerned about is him slipping into his habit of taking the easy way out and cutting corners. Because there is a pattern of accusations surrounding him that suggest this. I'd rather have a QB with zero physical gifts (like Peyton Manning or Tom Brady) who has an incredible football mind and unequalled work ethic both on the field and in the film room, that the most gifted physical QB of all time who has a less than clean past.

But his past suggests that this might not be his personality, that he might not take every step necessary to be a franchise QB. Patrick Kerney once said about Michael Vick, "When other QBs study film after practice, Mike plays video games." It takes a lot more than incredible physical talents to succeed in the NFL. It takes an incredible drive and work ethic. And my fear is that Newton is just so much better physically than those around him in college, that he might not know the other side of preparation that is require in the NFL. That physical crutch combined with a past that suggests short cuts? Recipe for disaster.

If Cam Newton was a clean prospect all other things being equal, its a lot easier to discount the many poor decisons he has made (even if that is simply being at the wrong place at the wrong time). But he also has a lot of on-field questions to boot. And that is a dangerous mix when we are talking about committing the next 5 to 10 years to Newton.

I agree, I have never seen a college player do the things he does. But as we have seen time and time again, great raw athletes in college are not always locks for superstardom. It takes a lot more than physical talent to succeed in the NFL, ESPECIALLY at QB. That is why his character concerns are such a big deal. And that is why I am extremely uncomfortable putting all my eggs in Cam Newton's basket.

Your really taking DG's post's out of context. People are basically saying Newton is a POS who should be damned to hell because he bought a stolen laptop. DG is saying that everyone makes mistakes and you shouldn't judge anyone's character on 1 or 2 events and the bolded portion of your post shows that you somewhat agree with him. You seem to just be dogpiling for the hell of it.

No I don't agree with him at all. And I think most people are saying that he is a big risk and pointing out why.

Knowing about the laptop issue, I was still willing to give the kid a chance to prove his issues are in the past. I did and he blew it. Period. Rather than convince me that he was moving in the right direction, he convinced me he is a head case. There are other talented QBs available without the glaring red flags. Just say no to the entertainer and icon. Draft someone who only cares about football.

In short, those who dislike Newton, dislike him for things he did off the field.

****************I'm curious what those of you, who are so concerned with a players off the field character, think about someone leaving their girlfriend they just knocked up, for a supermodel. Where does that rank on the character scale?**********************

Or what about a player that more than likely is involved with their coach in a cheating scandal on the field of play? Where does that rank on the evaluation of QB character, considering it does have to do with on the field exploits.

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 08:03 PM ----------

No I don't agree with him at all. And I think most people are saying that he is a big risk and pointing out why.

Knowing about the laptop issue, I was still willing to give the kid a chance to prove his issues are in the past. I did and he blew it. Period. Rather than convince me that he was moving in the right direction, he convinced me he is a head case. There are other talented QBs available without the glaring red flags. Just say no to the entertainer and icon. Draft someone who only cares about football.

What has Cam done since then? Acted arrogant? A few arrogant athletes off the top of my head; Michael Jordan (possibly the most arrogant of all time), Kobe Bryant, Wilt Chamberlain, Lawrence Taylor, Desean Jackson, Muhammad Ali, Tiger Woods

In short, those who dislike Newton, dislike him for things he did off the field.

****************I'm curious what those of you, who are so concerned with a players off the field character, think about someone leaving their girlfriend they just knocked up, for a supermodel. Where does that rank on the character scale?**********************

---------- Post added February-22nd-2011 at 08:03 PM ----------

What has Cam done since then? Acted arrogant? A few arrogant athletes off the top of my head; Michael Jordan (possibly the most arrogant of all time), Kobe Bryant, Wilt Chamberlain, Lawrence Taylor, Desean Jackson

You forgot Michael Vick (pre dog fighting conviction), Vince Young, and our very own Albert Haynesworth. And frankly, I don't recall any of the people you mentioned calling themselves an entertainer and an icon before they ever played a single pro game. If you have such a quote, I suggest you post it. If not, I suggest you move on to a relevant argument.

Archived