Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

I think he'd go after all 3 of those. But I'd be really interested to see how the 1st round of the draft Ryan was in would play out with Newton involved.

I tend to agree. I would be nice to see him in a class with a really near-flawless QB (though I would argue that all 3 of the past top QBs have had some flaws). This is not his fault, but important to place him in context of the talent level of the NFL, not just his draft class.

Just for S&G's, my pre-NFL rankings of the past 4 years of QBs:

Bradford

Stafford

Ryan

Gabbert

Newton

Flacco

Sanchez

Freeman

Tebow

I hear ya. I can't see him going above any of the three guys you mentioned. But none of those guys are doing too shabby in the NFL, I'm really interested in seeing what Stafford can do next year if healthy for the full season. He might be my FFQB sleeeper.

My last two sleepers:

LT this year

Ray Rice the season prior

I tend to agree. I would be nice to see him in a class with a really near-flawless QB (though I would argue that all 3 of the past top QBs have had some flaws). This is not his fault, but important to place him in context of the talent level of the NFL, not just his draft class.

Just for S&G's, my pre-NFL rankings of the past 4 years of QBs:

Bradford

Stafford

Ryan

Gabbert

Newton

Flacco

Sanchez

Freeman

Tebow

I can only speak for the recent BigXII guys, and of them I'd only put Bradford ahead. He has the same killer's mentality as Newton on the field to go with the bionic accuracy. Then Young, then Freeman. I really don't know where to put Gabbert among them.

Hey Tris, just as philosophical question, would you feel like we were making out the same way Tampa did with Sapp, or the Vikings with Moss, if he happened to get to us?

My order would be:

Stafford

Bradford(that shoulder really concerned me)

Ryan

Newton

Flacco

Gabbert

Sanchez

Freeman

Tebow

Crazy how many of these guys are already having enough success to suggest they won't bust out. Seems like an extremely high percent of successful first round QB's compared to previous years.

My order would be:

Stafford

Bradford(that shoulder really concerned me)

Ryan

Newton

Flacco

Gabbert

Sanchez

Freeman

Tebow

Crazy how many of these guys are already having enough success to suggest they won't bust out. Seems like an extremely high percent of successful first round QB's compared to previous years.

I agree with this for the most part. If we're talking just straight up QB skill, mine would be the same but switch with Gabbert and Newton. I wanted Bradford but the shoulder things scared me too.

I agree with this for the most part. If we're talking just straight up QB skill, mine would be the same but switch with Gabbert and Newton. I wanted Bradford but the shoulder things scared me too.

I remember hearing rumor, of us trading for him and I was as nervous as I was excited. The book on Bradford is yet to be written, but his natural ability to play the QB position showed through this season in the NFL, in pretty lousy circumstances for the most part.

At this point I kind of wish we had gotten him, but who's to say he won't be injured the next 2 seasons consecutively.

Hey Tris, just as philosophical question, would you feel like we were making out the same way Tampa did with Sapp, or the Vikings with Moss, if he happened to get to us?

Not sure I understand the question.

I would call the story on Flacco, Sanchez and Tebow very much incomplete. I am really not sold on them as "franchise" QBs. Especially Flacco and Sanchez, who have support systems that Freeman, Ryan, and Bradford could never dream of.

Stafford has skills those three don't, but bad injury luck. Not as worried about his future if he stays healthy.

And yeah, three straight years of no out right 1st round QB busts. Odds are very high that that is going to revert to the norm. The question is, will it be Gabbert, Newton, or both (or someone else).

I hope and pray some other team saves us from this guy and drafts him before our top 10 pick is wasted on him. This guy seems like the second coming of Ryan Leaf!!!!

Edit: just to be clear - Newton = garbage. Somebody will draft and overpay him. Just hoping it is not Danny boy.

Uhh...possibly because he's a prospect who wasn't intelligent enough to stay out of tons of off-the-field trouble. You notice that he actually joins Mallett as a QB whose intelligence is being questioned...yeah, the prospect with the second biggest number of red flags (drug use, work ethic, etc.). Hell, maybe Mallett's intelligence should be questioned even more (and in many places, it is). But the point is, there's a reason his level of intelligence is questioned. And its real, and tangible, and not utter bull****, unlike the end of your post above.

I mean, Jesus Christ. If you're going to be so "bold" as to pull the race card, at least go balls out and just do it. That way we can ridicule you thoroughly, instead of only half-way.

If you don't think race plays a factor then your an NAIVE IDIOT. Why don't you try joining the real world instead of whatever fantasy land your living in.

Im not talking about people questioning his judgement. People have every right to do that.

I'm talking about the people who say he isn't smart enough to run a pro offense, or not smart enough to read nfl defenses. The other qbs aren't dealing with those rediculous questions.

Name one other highprofiled black qb that came out that didn't have to go through those same questions...and ill sit and wait for you to answer that because you can't.

Now join the real world and acknowledge that this stuff goes on instead of acting like it's a thing of the past. And people wonder why we as a society can't get past racism...its because people like you get scared and act like it doesn't exist everytime its brought up. Grow the fuk up. Now ridicule that.

And by the way aren't you the same dude that tried to tell me that the media has nothing to do with a players draft stock? Well its mighty funny that cam has gone from 10 to 3 after one workout for the MEDIA. I told you perception is reality...remember that

If you don't think race plays a factor then your an NAIVE IDIOT. Why don't you try joining the real world instead of whatever fantasy land your living in.

Im not talking about people questioning his judgement. People have every right to do that.

I'm talking about the people who say he isn't smart enough to run a pro offense, or not smart enough to read nfl defenses. The other qbs aren't dealing with those rediculous questions.

Name one other highprofiled black qb that came out that didn't have to go through those same questions...and ill sit and wait for you to answer that because you can't.

Now join the real world and acknowledge that this stuff goes on instead of acting like it's a thing of the past. And people wonder why we as a society can't get past racism...its because people like you get scared and act like it doesn't exist everytime its brought up. Grow the fuk up. Now ridicule that.

And by the way aren't you the same dude that tried to tell me that the media has nothing to do with a players draft stock? Well its mighty funny that cam has gone from 10 to 3 after one workout for the MEDIA. I told you perception is reality...remember that

Ryan Mallett is getting hit much worse with the intelligence issue.

Mock drafts and current hype are not indicative of actual draft stock. NFL scouts are not looking up Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock to see where they have players goin.

would it be okay if i interjected and merely laughed at.......

"f you don't think race plays a factor then your an NAIVE IDIOT"

Sure be my guest...only a no life nerd would find humor in grammer errors. So I'm glad i brung some joy and laughter to that pathetic thing you call your life.

it isnt your grammar shakespeare, its the sweet irony (no im not referring to post dryer laundry activities)

Ryan Mallett is getting hit much worse with the intelligence issue.

Mock drafts and current hype are not indicative of actual draft stock. NFL scouts are not looking up Mel Kiper and Mike Mayock to see where they have players goin.

I already said this once but I guess you just don't understand...they are questioning mallets character and decision making because he smoked weed which should be legal but thats a whole nother matter.

What im talking about is questioning if he is smart enough to understand the plays and playbook and reading defenses...there is a difference in questioning ones decision making and intelligence and ability to learn.

As far as the draft goes I never said that scouts and gms look to kiper,mayock etc for answers on who is rated where, I said that they value their opinion thats it, i never said they make decisions based on their opinions. Kiper and them talk to scouts all the time how do you think they make their mock drafts?

first some homework. go to www.dictionary.com and look up the following words -

naive

idiot

ironic

if you still do not understand after that i will explain. or anyone that feels the urge can do so at anytime

Ok like I thought u got nothing...nice attempt at interjecting phony humor in a serious post instead of adding something intelligent to the discussion. You did a good job of deflecting the real issue and purpose of the post though.

Ok like I thought u got nothing...nice attempt at interjecting phony humor in a serious post instead of adding something intelligent to the discussion. You did a good job of deflecting the real issue and purpose of the post though.

friend, the only person that doesnt get it is you. the next time you want to insult someone you may want to make sure you dont live up to your chosen name calling in doing so. not only is it ironic but it negates any argument you may have intended and leaves people thinking you AN ill tempered fool.

Archived