Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

I think in these videos Cam actually shows better pocket presence than the Gabbert video posted. To me, Gabbert seems to panic in the pocket after his first read. Newton seems more composed and consistently is looking down field to make a throw. He doesn't seem to be the tuck and run QB people are projecting him to be. When a pass is called, he is looking down field to pass, and even if he starts to scramble, his eyes are still down field. The more I watch, the more I think he'll be the best QB out of this class by far.

Unfortunately Cam won't be there at 10, though I do have a sick feeling that Gabbert might be. If he is, I pray the skins do not take him.

Unfortunately Cam won't be there at 10, though I do have a sick feeling that Gabbert might be. If he is, I pray the skins do not take him.

I think you should have a little bit of faith in our staffs eye for talent regardless of which QB they pick.

All you're doing is creating a situation where you're biased against a player before he's ever thrown a pass as a Redskin.

ETA: As I've said all along, he's going #1 overall anyways so it's not even worth getting excited about.

I would be absolutely shocked if Carolina drafted him. Rivera is a very defensive minded coach and it would be an insane gamble for him to come in during his first year as head coach of a new team and draft a QB like Newton with a lot of question marks at #1 overall. Luck, I could definitely see since he was one of the most polished QB prospects to come out in a very long time. But Newton? Don't see it. My money is on one of the elite DL prospects (probably Fairley).

I think you should have a little bit of faith in our staffs eye for talent regardless of which QB they pick.

All you're doing is creating a situation where you're biased against a player before he's ever thrown a pass as a Redskin.

DG this is just my opinion, I know squat when compared to our FO. No matter what player the Redskins draft I will be a huge fan of them, until they prove otherwise.

I just don't believe Gabbert warrants a top 10 pick, especially on a team with as many holes as ours.

DG this is just my opinion, I know squat when compared to our FO. No matter what player the Redskins draft I will be a huge fan of them, until they prove otherwise.

I just don't believe Gabbert warrants a top 10 pick, especially on a team with as many holes as ours.

It just reads like you've already formed a negative bias against drafting a QB and have therefore formed a negative Bias against Gabbert/Locker

afterall you did post:

I pray the skins do not take him.

I really hope the Redskins aren't dumb enough to draft one of these 1st round prospects.

It just reads like you've already formed a negative bias against drafting a QB and have therefore formed a negative Bias against Gabbert/Locker

afterall you did post:

I'm not against drafting a QB. I'd be all for drafting Andrew Luck, and I'd give Newton great consideration at 10 (his upside is just too high to pass up in my opinion).

As far as Locker and Gabbert are concerned, I haven't liked what I've seen from them.

Prior to Locker's stocks dropping, I told you in my opinion he didn't warrant a pick at 10. Now it appears almost every draftnik out there agrees with me.

I don't dislike, Gabbert, I think he could be a descent player in the NFL, but I don't think he warrants a pick at 10 either. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he's there at 10 and the skins pass on him or trade down.

afterall you did post:

Sorry to interrupt, but I will admit that I personally had formed a huge bias against drafting QB this year. I've been preaching "draft in the trenches" for months now. Still, I gave a look at all of you alls threads on each QB. Newton is the only QB that I feel is worth our top 10 pick, and that's coming from someone who not only had a bias against drafting a QB, but a bias against Cam Newton himself. I always rooted against the guy in college, but I have to respect a good football player when I see one. The guy can play.

All i'm saying is that if you already post like this now what's gonna happen if we draft them?

I won't be happy with the draft pick... that's what going to happen. I'll get over it though. Think of how many people on this site were critical of T Williams last year and wanted Okung. They all probably now root for Williams every week.

If that same situation happens, I will gladly eat crow. But I just don't think either Locker/Gabbert warrant a pick at 10.

Every year you see the newest "Can't Miss"....you know that QB who can throw a long pass, who had one good season behind them, who is full of question marks about them but because they won the "National Championship" (That game sure as hell isn't any thing close to being a National Championship game) that is the medias darling before the draft....happened last with Jamarcus Russel and now it's Cam Newtons turn. Those who are saying he won't make it to 10 should be thanking our lucky stars right about now. Another teams going to keep us from picking this guy. Gil Brant's prediction he goes #1 is awesome I sure as hell hope he does. I don't see the work ethic required in him to make it at the next level and think he's too raw to do well. Good luck Mr Newton, prove me wrong.

I just watched that SEC championship game, and Cam Newton the QB is a stud. He goes through his reads on numerous plays in that game, has fluid footwork, and throws accurate passes(though they are only his completions). I gotta admit I'm starting to hope we somehow get him, he's going to be a beast.

Every year you see the newest "Can't Miss"....you know that QB who can throw a long pass, who had one good season behind them, who is full of question marks about them but because they won the "National Championship" (That game sure as hell isn't any thing close to being a National Championship game) that is the medias darling before the draft....happened last with Jamarcus Russel and now it's Cam Newtons turn. Those who are saying he won't make it to 10 should be thanking our lucky stars right about now. Another teams going to keep us from picking this guy. Gil Brant's prediction he goes #1 is awesome I sure as hell hope he does. I don't see the work ethic required in him to make it at the next level and think he's too raw to do well. Good luck Mr Newton, prove me wrong.

Joe Montana started for one year and won the national championship for Notre Dame. He was a gamble in the draft, too.

History of minor issues that suggests he cuts corners.

Even still his issues suggest that he cut corners outside of football.

For all we know football could mean the world to him and he works hard it but then again it might not.

I just find it curious that people seem more apt to question Newton's work ethic.

For all we know football could mean the world to him and he works hard it but then again it might not.

I just find it curious that people seem more apt to question Newton's work ethic.

No reason to question other players' (besides Mallett) work ethic b/c there have been no flags from outside.

I just watched that SEC championship game, and Cam Newton the QB is a stud. He goes through his reads on numerous plays in that game, has fluid footwork, and throws accurate passes(though they are only his completions). I gotta admit I'm starting to hope we somehow get him, he's going to be a beast.

You've been posting in this thread all this time and just now watched the game that were discussing for the majority of the thread?

-J/K ;)

I still have my doubts that Kyle would draft Newton even if he was availble.

I meant to say re-watched, I've watched the good majority of them on that site (of the links that worked).

And if Newton is available and we don't draft him, please send any bourbon/whiskey any of you may have to me at your earliest convenience. ALL of it will be needed.

Also, I remember when Sam Bradford said something similar last year:

@SI_PeterKing Newton: "I see myself not only as a football player, but an entertainer and icon.''

Wait, no. No, I don't remember any franchise QB prospect ever saying anything like that.

So was Jarmarcus Russel, so was Ryan Leaf...so what?

I'll take that risk any day of the week. If my franchise has a 1/3 chance to get arguably the greatest QB of all time? That's a no brainer. Sure 2/3 will set you back 2- 5 years, but that one, that one can set your franchise up for the next decade.

If he's that sloppy with his own life risking his college eligibility, his future payoff to play professional football, and all the rest of the baggage he carries that's been beaten to death what would suggest to you that he's going to care that much about getting better in his career? I think it's a valid question but if you don't that's cool. No big deal either way to me

Archived