Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Cam Newton

darrelgreenie

Any reviews form his workout today?? Trent Dilfer is on ESPN now saying it was the best workout he's seen. Calling Cam a very accurate passer and also saying his passes have zip like a A. Rodgers. He says when teams see him throw and actually see him physically they will drool over him.

I'm not a QB @ 10 fan but if he is determined to be the best prospect at that position then so be it!

I'd like to see the Skins be innovative with this CBA lockout and stock up for 2012. But if we do draft a player, it better be a Quinn/Miller/Dareus/Watts type with exception to the two CBs and AJ and Julio. Anything other than that I'll be dissapointed. But that being said, the only QB I'm even remotely intrigued about is Newton. The rest can kiss my ass unless we take Locker or Ponder in the third (oops, no 3rd... ;) ... )

What I'm saying is that Mike Shanahan is probably going to look at that and see a lot of the same problems he saw with Devin.

First, I hope nine teams don't think they can work with Cam the same way. That's the only way I see him getting to us at ten.

Second, I also have some doubts the coaching staff can mesh with him. The Shanahans have shown us they're fairly rigid and this isn't the all-american kid. Ultimately a coach's job is to get the maximum out of their players. This was subordinated at times to setting the team agenda, but hopefully the tone has been set and they're ready to get the players to excel. What gives me hope is mutual self-interest. Coaches and players both like to win. Its fun and it improves the general atmosphere.

and Dilfer with his O face.

:ols: Now that's funny.

Edit: But will he THROW at the combine? They all go to the combine, they just don't all throw.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 04:52 PM ----------

It does not matter. There is no way he is there at 10. If Buffalo doesnt take him Tennessee will. I have hope to get the best D player available with #10 and hope Locker is there in the 2nd.

I find it hard to believe that after the huge disaster that VY was, Tenn would take a similar (though very different, I know) prospect. Especially one with maturity concerns.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6109802&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

SAN DIEGO -- Heisman Trophy winner Cam Newton has given the media a glimpse of the workouts he's going through daily as he prepares for the NFL combine and draft.

Newton threw passes and did other drills for nearly 45 minutes at a suburban high school on Thursday. He says he's working hard "on the whole grand scheme of playing quarterback in the NFL," especially taking snaps from under center. He often took snaps in the shotgun formation as he ran the spread offense at Auburn, which he led to the BCS national title.

Newton has been in San Diego since late January, working with quarterbacks coach George Whitfield Jr. and receiving advice from Hall of Fame quarterback Warren Moon.

He played the Oregon game with back pain and had to leave for X-rays after the game.

What's wrong with a college kid getting the fans excited? Good grief, he is a 21-year-old college kid who loves playing football. Also, his coaches at JUCO and at Auburn all say he has been a model citizen and team leader the past two years. He also led his teams to National Championships both years. Cam IS NOT the same 19-year-old RS freshman, both on and off the field, he was at Florida in 2008.

Ok, so when your hurt you can't smile or be happy? Didn't look like Charles Woodson was unhappy when he got his ring the other day...

I like Cam, but he trains with Whitfield Athletix, whose claim to fame is preparing Akili Smith and Colt Brennan for the NFL....two HUGE busts; ****y with horrible mechanics.

That being said, I wouldn't be devastated if we could grab him in the first. We haven't had a legitimate young"er" mobile QB since....well....Theismann?

I like Cam, but he trains with Whitfield Athletix, whose claim to fame is preparing Akili Smith and Colt Brennan for the NFL....two HUGE busts; ****y with horrible mechanics.

That being said, I wouldn't be devastated if we could grab him in the first. We haven't had a legitimate young"er" mobile QB since....well....Theismann?

I wouldn't call a 6th round draft pick like Brennan a huge bust. Smith on the other hand was a high 1st rounder expected to be the franchise QB while Brennan was just a hope of catching lightning in a bottle

I wouldn't call a 6th round draft pick like Brennan a huge bust. Smith on the other hand was a high 1st rounder expected to be the franchise QB while Brennan was just a hope of catching lightning in a bottle

Very true D & S; I recant what I said about Brennan. Can't really be a "bust" coming from the 6th because honestly nothing was really invested in him but the time the Redskins wasted trying to develop and mentor him. Now Smith on the other hand.......

Cam's skill set is much more different than either of those two so my connection, regardless of trainer, may be flawed in hindsight.

Very true D & S; I recant what I said about Brennan. Can't really be a "bust" coming from the 6th because honestly nothing was really invested in him but the time the Redskins wasted trying to develop and mentor him. Now Smith on the other hand.......

Cam's skill set is much more different than either of those two so my connection, regardless of trainer, may be flawed in hindsight.

You're right we've never really seen a player like Cam before physically, I'm personally not a big fan of Newton because I worry about him ever being a franchise QB because of the concerns I have about him being a passer at the next level. Yes he can throw in the College ranks but he also has run a lot more than passed in games and that's a big concern with him moving to the next level. He's also only thrown 280 passes in his college career which is a very low number in evaluating him

I'm not a big fan but I'm to the point where if we took him I could in some ways talk myself into the pick but I still think that Gabbert is the right guy for us

I figured I'd get a dumbass knee jerk response like this so I had my response waiting. Perhaps you simply know very little about the two players. Where to begin with a comparison?

- JUCO transfers with about three semesters of real college under their belts

- A single year of production

- Patterns of laziness and emotional immaturity

- Lack of experience and development at their positions--touted because of athletic qualities

- Overbearing fathers who seem to micromanage their football careers

What I'm saying is that Mike Shanahan is probably going to look at that and see a lot of the same problems he saw with Devin.

You honestly don't think you can compare the personalities of 2 men based upon these facts do you? We are talking about a Heisman winning National Championship QB not a knucklehead WR who was even unknow to most people on this board until a few weeks before the draft.

Also, I knew all that stupid **** you wrote up there...so what? You can't base one mans future off another mans lack of production and some similarity. Am I the only one who thinks this is retarded?

This thread went from pretty rational discussion to JAMARC-BUST !!!11!!1 really quick.

Just a note on Trent Dilfer - He has previously said this year that Blaine Gabbert is the best prospect he has seen in years (better than Bradford). Additionally, interesting article about his views on last year's QBs:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/07/trent-dilfer-denies-conflict-of-interest-regarding-colt-mccoy/

In the off chance you know......anyone wants to...you know....... actually discuss the game and all..........here just click the image to link directly to the game....th_CaminSECChampionshipGame.jpg

**We couldn't fine a true game cut-up the above clip has all of Newton's completion instead of all Newton's passes.

These are the plays that stood out to me. (Many of them are time marked so you can jump to those specific plays)

1) Shotgun Play Action then Pump Fake WR screen left-(plenty of time in a clean pocket) then hits the right side WR on a deep Slant-Seam route. OT+ TAR+ IS+ from Auburn's 15 yd line to USC's 25 yard a 40+ yard through w/ ease good footwork nice release

3) Shotgun escapes sack starts to scramble up the middle with his eyes downfield spots the RB and makes a nifty shovel pass flick to the RB:50s

4) Shotgun 2 step drop clean footwork throws in rhythm sideline hitch left OT+ TAR+ IS+ quick release ball got there in a hurry

5) Shotgun takes off jukes the hell out of the spy gains 14+ yards gets down to avoid hit-great run

8) Shotgun PA half roll out- pressure in the face- makes nice touch pass on TE drag left to right OT+ TAR+ IS+ 2:24s

9) Shotgun Pump n Go right sideline vs all out blitz picked up beautifully- delivers OT+ TAR+ IS+

to wide open Darvin Adams TD!

...from Auburn 35 to their 30 about a 40 yard throw on a line w/ late pressure closing in 2:37s

**10) Shotgun drop backs hits left WR on a 12 yd comeback OT+ TAR+ IS+ ball got there in a hurry

15) Shotgun-dash right no pressure keeps eyes downfield, pressure comes throws a shuffle/scramble throws goofy foot fading away arm pass OT+ OT- IS- 3:13s

18) Shotgun dash right from their 45 to the 3 yards deep in the endzone steps into uncorks it looks like he had plenty of arm left (50+ yard throw) TD

21) Shotgun PA feels and avoids pressure scrambles effortlessly to his left for a 20 yard gain (this run was Randall Cunninghamesque)

**22) (Plenty of time/clean pocket) Shotgun straight drop back-maintains good helmet discipline down the center of the field until the last second when he looks/pivots left and hits a WR that beat the CB on and out and up and Cam beat the Safety w/ the good eye discipline and throw (from the 50 to the 10 40 yd throw w/ ease) OT+ TAR+ IS+ 4:22s

24) Shotgun zone read keeper runs left full speed jump-cut to pick up the 1st down nice play -gifted open field runner 5:38

25) Shotgun Pump & Go (clean pocket) slot wheel route right steps up throws OT+ TAR+ IS+

What do you guys see from this game?

I know you are analyzing the passing game, but Newton's strength amazes me. Look at the 4:45 mark where he runs over a 6' 206 lb. linebacker. He did the same thing to Jerico Nelson in the Arkansas game.

No doubt, from the passing chart I think that's play #23 if you like that look at play #7 should be around the 2:00ish minute mark.

I like the plays where you can see him going through his progressions like play #22 @ 4:22 mark that is a top level NFL play there.

---------- Post added February-10th-2011 at 06:12 PM ----------

Its great quality, unfortunately its one of those videos that has to buffer to the part you want to watch before you can skip ahead. Its taking forever.

I'm listening to Cam speaking in the background right now.

What did you see from the USC game btw?

ESPN has a video link up with Cam Newton and comments by Dilfer afterwards.

In a nutshell Dilfer made these observations:

• He's a giant man and dwarfed Dilfer who is 6'4"
  • Ball jumped off his hands
  • Powerfull arm
  • Great balance and foot energy
  • QB passer DNA - threw 30 very challenging throws
  • Kept eyes down center of field and spun his eyes back to throw early passes
  • Did throw deep balls, not just the short stuff
  • Knifed the ball thru the wind
  • Threw it so hard on one ball that it split one of the WR's gloves

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=6109802

**We couldn't fine a true game cut-up the above clip has all of Newton's completion instead of all Newton's passes.

These are the plays that stood out to me. (Many of them are time marked so you can jump to those specific plays)

1) Shotgun Play Action then Pump Fake WR screen left-(plenty of time in a clean pocket) then hits the right side WR on a deep Slant-Seam route. OT+ TAR+ IS+ from Auburn's 15 yd line to USC's 25 yard a 40+ yard through w/ ease good footwork nice release

3) Shotgun escapes sack starts to scramble up the middle with his eyes downfield spots the RB and makes a nifty shovel pass flick to the RB:50s

4) Shotgun 2 step drop clean footwork throws in rhythm sideline hitch left OT+ TAR+ IS+ quick release ball got there in a hurry

5) Shotgun takes off jukes the hell out of the spy gains 14+ yards gets down to avoid hit-great run

8) Shotgun PA half roll out- pressure in the face- makes nice touch pass on TE drag left to right OT+ TAR+ IS+ 2:24s

9) Shotgun Pump n Go right sideline vs all out blitz picked up beautifully- delivers OT+ TAR+ IS+

to wide open Darvin Adams TD!

...from Auburn 35 to their 30 about a 40 yard throw on a line w/ late pressure closing in 2:37s

**10) Shotgun drop backs hits left WR on a 12 yd comeback OT+ TAR+ IS+ ball got there in a hurry

15) Shotgun-dash right no pressure keeps eyes downfield, pressure comes throws a shuffle/scramble throws goofy foot fading away arm pass OT+ OT- IS- 3:13s

18) Shotgun dash right from their 45 to the 3 yards deep in the endzone steps into uncorks it looks like he had plenty of arm left (50+ yard throw) TD

21) Shotgun PA feels and avoids pressure scrambles effortlessly to his left for a 20 yard gain (this run was Randall Cunninghamesque)

**22) (Plenty of time/clean pocket) Shotgun straight drop back-maintains good helmet discipline down the center of the field until the last second when he looks/pivots left and hits a WR that beat the CB on and out and up and Cam beat the Safety w/ the good eye discipline and throw (from the 50 to the 10 40 yd throw w/ ease) OT+ TAR+ IS+ 4:22s

24) Shotgun zone read keeper runs left full speed jump-cut to pick up the 1st down nice play -gifted open field runner 5:38

25) Shotgun Pump & Go (clean pocket) slot wheel route right steps up throws OT+ TAR+ IS+

What do you guys see from this game?

Just watched some of the video and I'm in complete aw of Cam. Hopefully, that video can put to rest allot of the Jamarcus (even JC) comparisons. Still I don't know if Cam @ 10 is really what we need in 2011. There are so many freaking positions that we need to address over the next few years.

:ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols::ols:

You're killing me man. Throwing well is the #1 thing you look for in a quarterback. Definitely not something to shrug off with air quotes.

smarts and decision making are the #1 factor to a QB, everything else can be fixed with training. give me the smart guy that makes great decisions who might not have the best arm coming out of college.

have you ever seen brady at the NFL combine back in 2000? it was hilarious.

Archived