Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ThinkProgress.org: Right Wing Mocks Reporters In Egypt: Not "A Great Deal Of Sympathy For Those Who’ve Been Attacked"

Baculus

Cooper went into the Pro Mubarak crowd after they bum rushed the protesters on their camels. If getting punched on the first day wasn't enough, Cooper went back the next day to the Pro Mubarak crowd and got punched again.

LOL perhaps Gallagher was right. Is Vanderbilt into S&M?? Just asking. :yikes:

I listened to a bit of Limbaugh where he discussed the attacks on the NYT reporters and makes a comment to his listeners to effect "are they really suppose to feel sympathy for these people"

The reporters are there showing tow sides to the story both the pro and the anti government side and the pro side is beating reporters.

The reaction over there and over here tells me two things.

One people are being told to fear what happens when the opposition parties like the Muslim Brotherhodd get in and yet it the supporters of the government that has been propped up by the American government that is beating American and European reporters so the opposition is not looking so bad right now.

The other things I fing striking is very often the same folks that go on about how people should feel empathy for those in the womb and feel their pain are saying it is ok to not feel sorry for victims of violence because you disagree with them politically or because that is their job.

they are there to show us a large part of the crowd is also mubarak thugs as they have guns..

they are doomed once you see the mubarak thugs.

its a vicious thing to volunteer for, but badges for heroism in the media has a way of paying off later for them.

Edit: DrSmith nailed it above mine. Consistency is my pet peeve on quite a few Repubs.

The other things I fing striking is very often the same folks that go on about how people should feel empathy for those in the womb and feel their pain are saying it is ok to not feel sorry for victims of violence because you disagree with them politically or because that is their job.

Get back to me when near half of them are executed with our blessing....I don't want your empathy nor concern for pain

I want them to have a chance at pain or the choice to go in harms way

So now it's on to abortion.

As someone else saaid earlier... I'm not afraid to say it.

Some of you stupid mother****ers have really let your ass hang out.

It's not pretty, and frankly, I'm ashamed to have you as countrymen.

give me my 7 day rest if you must, but there's no way I can just pretend to be civil to some seriously uncivil people.

It's mind numbing to see what the people in this country have become.

~Bang

Bang,

Basically obtuseness is a strategy used when you have no real argument. It's an admission of guilt because debating the merits is a losing proposition. That's what you have throughout this thread. An admission of wrong... with every deflection and every obtuse "misunderstanding" it is clear that those defending on this issue agree that their side is in the wrong.

Bang,

Basically obtuseness is a strategy used when you have no real argument. It's an admission of guilt because debating the merits is a losing proposition. That's what you have throughout this thread. An admission of wrong... with every deflection and every obtuse "misunderstanding" it is clear that those defending on this issue agree that their side is in the wrong.

There is a requirement for empathy now?

Perhaps we should fine them.

Case in point :)

I think it's kind of a big deal when members of the media are suddenly and specifically picked out for beatings by organized gangs of thugs. I don't care where this happens, it's a sign that things are getting really bad wherever that is. In Iran, when reporters were told to leave or they would be detained/arrested, we realized this meant that some real serious **** was going down over there.

If, instead of noting that the same thing may very well be happening in Egypt, some idiot decides to joke about one reporter getting beaten because of his supposed political bias, it should be ok to point out that he is an idiot for making jokes. How is this even a debate?

If, instead of noting that the same thing may very well be happening in Egypt, some idiot decides to joke about one reporter getting beaten because of his supposed political bias, it should be ok to point out that he is an idiot for doing so. How is this even a debate?

If that was the focus of the thread imo it would not be.

The opening post set's a different target in my view and attempts to use the suffering of others for political gain.

There are much better ways to illustrate the dangers they face...and sources,if that is the intent of the thread.

If that was the focus of the thread imo it would not be.

The opening post set's a different target in my view and attempts to use the suffering of others for political gain.

There are much better ways to illustrate the dangers they face...and sources,if that is the intent of the thread.

I agree that over-generalized statements like this:

Right-wingers have something in common with authoritarian regimes: they hate the press.

Do not help debate and are not part of the solution.

However, your response was just as troubling. Moreso even.

I immediately thought of Daniel Pearl, wondering if the country was peopled by 'whining ****es' because we found his treatment horrific. Or Ernie Pyle, who was considered an American Hero by his generation, wondering if those who admired his work and mourned his passing were 'whining ****es.'

You don't think all right-wingers should be lumped in with people who mock reporters who risk their lives to bring us, comfortable and safe, information? That's a valid point. It might help to actually say that.

Just my opinion, but your perspective would be much better served actually debating what's been posted and not making obtuse snide comments.

It seems like some of you are missing a very clear point, so let me make it clear for you.

*ahem*

GOING INTO DANGEROUS SITUATIONS IS PART OF A REPORTER'S JOB!

For God's sake! Do you think these people WANT to risk life and limb for a story? Do you think they enjoy going into war zones and riots? Do you honestly think eyewitness reporters wake up in the morning and say to themselves "I might get my ass kicked by a bunch of pissed off protesters! HUZZAH!"

If they DON'T do stuff like that, they get fired or their reputation get a serious blow (and reputation is everything in the news industry).

Why can't some of you get that through your thick skulls?!

If they DON'T do stuff like that, they get fired or their reputation get a serious blow (and reputation is everything in the news industry).

Why can't some of you get that through your thick skulls?!

I bet you're one of those guys who hold women that dress slutty/sexy/provocative and go into places where men are drinking and get sexually assaulted, blameless. :)

I bet you're one of those guys who hold women that dress slutty/sexy/provocative and go into places where men are drinking and get sexually assaulted, blameless. :)

Jumbo seems to be the only one in this thread that knows I exist, so I know that can't be a good thing. :ols:

Of course, you can't just go in there and rush into a crowd with a camera just for the hell of it. I'm going on the assumption that most (if not all) of the reporters there are working on a deadline set by their bosses that tells them to get an eyewitness account of the riots.

Get back to me when near half of them are executed with our blessing....I don't want your empathy nor concern for pain

I want them to have a chance at pain or the choice to go in harms way

So instead of saying maybe this attitude towards the victims of violence contributes to the overall view people have you instead seek to justify it. This is something that truely makes me feel bad and is another reason I do not take anti abortionists who talk about being prolife of Christian values with any seriousness.

For those who are victims of violence my hear goes out, there is a difference between those who go to document what is happening, we are seeing a changing world and this world has many confused and for some fearful for fear of losing power and influence.

Non violent cries for justice are good.

I like that are just enough people here who will not be sure whether I'm serious or not on many an occasion to keep it interesting. :)

(Above comment inspired by an impressively castigating PM about my "position on rape") :)

Gracious. That's ridiculous. Everybody knows you were 100% sincere

Just my opinion, but your perspective would be much better served actually debating what's been posted and not making obtuse snide comments.

Maybe so, but I don't see the positions changing much.

My faith in humanity is at a low.....I'll work on it.

Same message I gave to Spiff. Start with yourself. You'll be amazed at the ripples you can create. I know most of what you said was done with tongue in cheek (at least I really strongly suspect so) you're too smart a guy for me to believe otherwise, but it's unfortunate when people mediawise or other take potshots at victims... especially, those who voluntarily put themselves in harms way for a service. I have a friend who has just been sent to Tunisia as a reporter and knew one of the reporters who was held hostage a few years ago. I admire their willingness to do what they do and to knowingly put themselves at risk. To repeat myself, to laugh or mock or dismiss is a cold and disturbing response and one that shouldn't happen whether we're talking about EMT, Police, Teachers, Soldiers, or anyone who knowingly work in a hostile place to provide a service.

I know that feeling :pfft:

I rarely feel it more strongly than after too much reading on ES :ols:

And the premise here is that this is actually a "bright spot" for discourse in this medium. :D

And, mi amigo, as someone whose label as determined by others would be "non-Christian", I still have the temerity to question if it is humanity you, as a Christian, should look to as a depository for faith, or is that better spent directed at something else more than human?

I often suggest "realistic expectations" in human interactions. Sometimes I have to do serious cognitive work for "realsitic" to not equal "grim." :pfft:

If, instead of noting that the same thing may very well be happening in Egypt, some idiot decides to joke about one reporter getting beaten because of his supposed political bias, it should be ok to point out that he is an idiot for making jokes. How is this even a debate?

It shouldn't be a debate. Anyone getting beaten up by a mob, or government thugs, regardless of political affiliation is horrible. A person is a complete jerk if they joke about something like this.

That being said, the OP was intentionally inflammatory (as usual, I might add), setting the stage for a stupid, immature mudslinging/flame war "debate." Pretty much par for the course in tailgate political threads... :D

Archived