Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ThinkProgress.org: Right Wing Mocks Reporters In Egypt: Not "A Great Deal Of Sympathy For Those Who’ve Been Attacked"

Baculus

So your point is that because the soldier went in there as part of an armed force, with plenty of friends and weapons and armor, then he deserves sympathy if he loses the fight, but the guy who goes into the same place armed with a camera, well, he doesn't?

So, they can't cover it from a safe distance? They have to get smack in the middle of it?

Heck..news to me...

Let's put the reporter and camera man in the middle of the track at Daytona this year. If they live, they're awesome.

BTW, No one's cheering for reporters to get killed. But is it too much to expect a graduate of journalism school to have a little damn common sense?

I guess not.

Powerful story, aREDSKIN. Glad he made it through well enough to give us this report.

And twa, I'd say the reporters volunteered as well. In fact, they volunteered to go into the dangerous zone and even if their editor may have assigned it to them, they could have refused. So, I don't get your point.

That's pretty intense, A.

I for one commend these folks for trying to get the best story they can. They know they're in harm's way, they're unarmed.

They're our eyes and ears on a situation that could have global ramifications.

I don't care if no one asked them to go, I'm glad they are there. They're not there for the right or the left, they're there for America and Americans. Without them we could only guess what's happening.

~Bang

Powerful story, aREDSKIN. Glad he made it through well enough to give us this report.

And twa, I'd say the reporters volunteered as well. In fact, they volunteered to go into the dangerous zone and even if their editor may have assigned it to them, they could have refused. So, I don't get your point.

The difference is choice.

Brandy ,while I would be sympathetic if it was my child, it would be tempered by the fact they made the decision to go.

Daddy is a hardass(among other things)

Really, Spiff. I expect better of you. You're a better poster than this. And Diesel :doh: just :doh:

Journalists have a job to do. No matter where they're sent.

No one wants to see them hurt or killed.

I would never ever cheer for someone to get killed, punched, cut..you name it.

But I can understand why it happens.

Why can't you?

Not saying anyone should be happy with what happened to Anderson Cooper, but let's not act like libs don't have their ugly moments either. C'mon with the holier than thou act.

Tell you what.

You point out every person in this thread who's saying that no liberal has ever done anything wrong.

I'll point out people who are trying to defend people doing something wrong.

Your post makes the score 1-0 in my favor. Your turn.

Here's on reporters account. BTW he was injured. I know it's Fox so many here will summarily dismiss it but give it a try.

Why would we dismiss this? It's a first hand account from a journalist out in the field, and it is also reinforcing what I have been saying all along: That it's the pro-Mubarak thugs, not the demonstrators, those supposedly Muslim Brotherhood "extremists," who are causing most of the violence in the streets.

You just demonstrated to why we need "sneakers on the ground" to keep things honest. Because if we only had Egyptian state media (and some American conservatives) to frame the events in Egypt, you'd only hear one side--the anti-revolutionary side.

This paragraph at the end of the article said it best:

"The experience we endured filled us with revulsion at those Egyptians who use violence and repression and those in higher places who support those actions. It also filled us with a deep admiration for the good and courageous Egyptians who will be continuing the struggle today and the days to come, who are putting their own lives on the line."

This is one of the best actual pieces of journalism I have ever read over at Fox News, and, surprise, surprise, it was written by one of their real field operatives and not some pundit sitting at his desk, spouting off about something he knows little about.

Why can't you?

This thread is exactly about some cheering when reporters get hurt. That's what you have been defending the whole damn thread (whether you meant to or not). Everyone is aware that these guys and gals put themselves at tremendous risk. And twa, it is a bigger deal BECAUSE they volunteered to do it knowing the risk. That is also a major reason I hold such great respect for our military, for our police force, and for our EMTs. They choose to put themselves at risk for something they consider important. It's to be lauded not blown off or laughed at.

Tell you what.

You point out every person in this thread who's saying that no liberal has ever done anything wrong.

I'll point out people who are trying to defend people doing something wrong.

Your post makes the score 1-0 in my favor. Your turn.

I'm not defending anyone doing something wrong. I'm no fan of Cooper by any stretch of the imagination but I'm certainly not a Glenn Beck fan, either.

I also never said no one in this thread said that no liberal has ever done anything wrong. That's not my point.

My point is that both sides love nothing more than a good old fashioned game of one upsmanship. Something happens to a reporter who is perceived to have a liberal slant...someone on the right makes an ignorant statement and liberals feign horror.

Again, I'm not saying what happened to Cooper was good, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm just saying, when are we going to stop acting like one side or the other isn't going to have members spout off ignorant comments when something like this happens? And why are we continually going to act surprised when they do?

You're saying absolutely no one on the left would treat Beck the way Cooper has been treated in the OP?

Why is it always the "equivalency defense" instead of dealing with what people are ACTUALLY saying?

By the way, what are the chances in Hades you'd ever see Beck anywhere near that place? So maybe you should try a more realistic argument, eh?

You're saying absolutely no one on the left would treat Beck the way Cooper has been treated in the OP?

"absolutely no one on the left" is an absolutely impossible bar to meet.

Point to how many people with radio shows would do it.

And then try to tell us about how many ES posters would defend the person who did it.

That's the most damning hypocrisy in this thread. And it happens over and over and over again.

Every six months, some liberal, somewhere, poops his pants in public. And every person on ES condemns him for it.

Every few days a conservative does something. And we can't even make it past the first page, before a legion of defenders swarm to his defense. "Well, Dan Rather . . .". "Oh, everybody's bashing the right again". "Liberals aren't perfect." "Well, what he said is technically true, if you close one eye, turn the page sideways, focus on this word, right here, and then move the page towards you until reality disappears." "How dare you people point this out?" "Let's talk about Obama's health care bill". "The liberals are trying to silence dissent!" Anything to try to cover up something that even the defenders know was Wrong.

Again, I'm not saying what happened to Cooper was good, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. I'm just saying, when are we going to stop acting like one side or the other isn't going to have members spout off ignorant comments when something like this happens? And why are we continually going to act surprised when they do?

The problem is that attitude becomes a common consensus among their listeners, and then it goes from there. Here -- try this. Go to any right-wing blog that has a story about journalists being attacked, and tell me what you read, OK?

The problem is that this hatred of the "lame stream media" is propagated by right-wing figures, and it leads to this exact attitude that we are decrying. We aren't complaining because it's just about "liberal journalists," either, because there are journalists from all over the world involved with this issue.

You need to think beyond our borders.

Perhaps when one side doesn't deflect and takes responsibility for it's own, Spiff. By trying to equalize everything you neutralize. No harm. No foul. Game continues. When a wrong occurs there ought to be a penalty. You ought to be the first person to want a bad actor sent to the penalty box. You ought to demand the best. Then, when the other side screws up (and it will) you can come out and say. I have cleaned up my house or I am trying to keep my house as clean as possible and you need to do better.

Otherwise, your just encouraging what you say frustrates you. Your giving all the bad players the green light to keep on going because your always going to give them a pass. Afterall, if one side might do it then the other side definitely should.

Why can't you?

Here is what you don't seem to understand: the fact that it DOES happen, and that it has become a common enough sentiment, is a bit disturbing. You seem more perplexed by the fact that we find it disagreeable more then the people who are making the disagreeable comments in the first place.

I'm not defending anyone doing something wrong.

Yes you did.

You gave yourself a disclaimer, followed by a "but", then pulled the "well, somebody else did . . . ", followed by attacking everybody who does have a problem with what this guy said.

Don't like holier than thou? Then don't attack the integrity of everybody whose pointing out something you don't want them to point out.

"absolutely no one on the left" is an absolutely impossible bar to meet.

Point to how many people with radio shows would do it.

And then try to tell us about how many ES posters would defend the person who did it.

That's the most damning hypocrisy in this thread. And it happens over and over and over again.

Every six months, some liberal, somewhere, poops his pants in public. And every person on ES condemns him for it.

Every few days a conservative does something. And we can't even make it past the first page, before a legion of defenders swarm to his defense. "Well, Dan Rather . . .". "Oh, everybody's bashing the right again". "Liberals aren't perfect." "Well, what he said is technically true, if you close one eye, turn the page sideways, focus on this word, right here, and then move the page towards you until reality disappears." "How dare you people point this out?" "Let's talk about Obama's health care bill". "The liberals are trying to silence dissent!" Anything to try to cover up something that even the defenders know was Wrong.

So who's really the victim in this country all the time? Liberals? Conservatives?

Looks like it depends who you're asking. Ask my parents, they'll say the Conservatives are being persecuted. But according to you, the liberals are getting picked on ever few days on here.

BTW, one of my recent favorite reads was Generation Kill about the Marine's First Recon battalion, which was at the Spearhead of Iraq Freedom. It was an excellent read, and it never would have taken place without a journalist being embedded with the unit, danger and all.

---------- Post added February-5th-2011 at 02:38 AM ----------

So who's really the victim in this country all the time? Liberals? Conservatives?

Looks like it depends who you're asking. Ask my parents, they'll say the Conservatives are being persecuted. But according to you, the liberals are getting picked on ever few days on here.

I thought we were talking about journalists?

Yes you did.

You gave yourself a disclaimer, followed by a "but", then pulled the "well, somebody else did . . . ", followed by attacking everybody who does have a problem with what this guy said.

Don't like holier than thou? Then don't attack the integrity of everybody whose pointing out something you don't want them to point out.

Sure, I've got a problem with it. I've got a problem with anyone associating me ( I guess I lean towards the conservative side, though I practically hate pretty much everyone) with a guy like that. The difference is I roll my eyes and ignore it and know that I wouldn't support what that guy has to say about Anderson Cooper i deserving it or whatever. And if anyone thinks I support him...well, that's for them to believe. I know where I stand and I'm not happy that Cooper got beat up. As I said, no one would deserve that.

So a right wing blog said something ignorant. Big deal.

---------- Post added February-5th-2011 at 02:41 AM ----------

BTW, one of my recent favorite reads was Generation Kill about the Marine's First Recon battalion, which was at the Spearhead of Iraq Freedom. It was an excellent read, and it never would have taken place without a journalist being embedded with the unit, danger and all.

---------- Post added February-5th-2011 at 02:38 AM ----------

I thought we were talking about journalists?

Dunno, I was just replying to Larry ;)

And I should feel sympathy when he was used in a illegal and immoral war for oil....oh and oppressing or murdering civilians?

Selective outrage is such the rage.

in todays society its easy to demonize the other side for the comments of the 2%.

I'd be a lot more willing to dismiss the original subject (who, I'll freely admit, I've never heard of, before this thread) as just an isolated loon, if he didn't have so many defenders here on ES.

When one guy does something stupid, then it's "just one guy".

When one guy does something stupid, and 1/3 of the people in the room defend him for it, then it's not just "the 2%" any more.

----------

Analogy: From time to time, we discuss news stories about some cop accused of brutality. And lots of people attempt to dismiss the incident as the actions of a tiny, minuscule, fraction of police officers.

But then I think of some things. One of the things I think of is the video of the Rodney King beating.

Now, on that video, there's a scene. King is laying on the ground, face down, spread. I assume he was given some command, and didn't comply. (No sound.) An officer (I call him "Officer Nightstick") stands near King's feet. Pulls his nightstick. Holds it in both hands, over his head, and brings id down, from overhead, and hits King on the back of the right leg.

Three times.

He then takes a step to the side, and does the same thing (two handed, overhead, blow) to the back of King's left leg.

Three times.

Overhead, two-handed, blows, to the back of the leg, to a man who is laying, face down, on the pavement, spread, not moving.

Now, I'm not a lawyer, but to me, that's assault. (Maybe with a deadly weapon). On a person who was not a threat in any way.

Performed in front of over a dozen police officers.

I know that a lot of people will argue that those actions were just the actions of one cop, under stress. And that it's unfair to label all cops based on that one incident.

But then I think: Officer Nightstick knew that he could commit a felony, in front of a dozen police officers, from LAPD and CHP, and that every one of them would endorse his actions. Officer Nightstick thinks that every single officer on the LAPD approves of beating people who are laying on the ground. And he was correct.

I'll believe that police brutality is only done by a tiny fraction of police officers, when I start seeing officers arresting other officers for doing it.

And I'll believe that only the lunatic fringes of the Republican Party approve of reporters being beaten, when we have a thread like this, and it doesn't get defended.

Perhaps when one side doesn't deflect and takes responsibility for it's own, Spiff. By trying to equalize everything you neutralize. No harm. No foul. Game continues. When a wrong occurs there ought to be a penalty. You ought to be the first person to want a bad actor sent to the penalty box. You ought to demand the best. Then, when the other side screws up (and it will) you can come out and say. I have cleaned up my house or I am trying to keep my house as clean as possible and you need to do better.

Otherwise, your just encouraging what you say frustrates you. Your giving all the bad players the green light to keep on going because your always going to give them a pass. Afterall, if one side might do it then the other side definitely should.

You're completely right. But our differences lie in the fact that you seem to have some hope for mankind in the political arena and I don't. When you see a wrong like the shootings in Arizona and then seeing the left and right jump all over themselves in a chance to attack the other while people are fighting for their lives...I just roll my eyes as that's what I've come to expect from some politicians and some media members these days. I admire the fact that you think these people should be held accountable but I don't see the point. I've been increasingly tired of continually being let down by people in power and people in the media for awhile now and things like this are what I've come to expect. I think the past 10-15 years has shown a true ugly side in America and unfortunately I don't see it getting better. I admire that you seem to look for the good in the people in media and our politicians and try to hold people in these positions to better standards.

Archived