Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Weekend treat: Entire1983 NFC title game

DieselPwr44

To this day, niners fans say they were robbed by a bad call late in the game that helped the Skins finally kick the winning field goal. I agree the call was questionable, BUT....

The Redskins blew this team out of the water for almost the entire game. Moseley was AWFUL, missing FOUR field goals, all of them very makeable. It should have been 33-0 going into the fourth quarter, but instead was only 21-0. The last FG he missed really spurred on the Niners to make a comeback, and they eventually tied it.

Luckily, Moseley finally made his last attempt, but in no way did the niners EVER deserve to be in this one. They also benefited from some bad calls against us early in the game, one of which erased a D. Green TD on a punt return.

+43 in turnover ratio this season. The Redskins were super efficient on both sides of the ball in 83. If they win the SB against the Raiders they go down as one of the greatest teams in history. A team that is this effective must execute like they did all season in order to win the big show. They didnt have the raw talent to overcome turnovers.

To this day, niners fans say they were robbed by a bad call late in the game that helped the Skins finally kick the winning field goal. I agree the call was questionable, BUT....

The Redskins blew this team out of the water for almost the entire game. Moseley was AWFUL, missing FOUR field goals, all of them very makeable. It should have been 33-0 going into the fourth quarter, but instead was only 21-0. The last FG he missed really spurred on the Niners to make a comeback, and they eventually tied it.

Luckily, Moseley finally made his last attempt, but in no way did the niners EVER deserve to be in this one. They also benefited from some bad calls against us early in the game, one of which erased a D. Green TD on a punt return.

Thanks for ruining it. ;) haha

I was 9 in 1983.

Football had hit the screen's in the UK the year before, and a man called Riggins (a hero back then, but whom I now look upon as a first class jerk); and a man called Gibbs (who I still don't know of a better example of a man to live one's life by); had set me out on a 28 year odyssey following this team. That 1983 season arguably cemented that love even more than the 'Skins first Lombardi winners from the previous year. Two 1 point loses to Dallas and the Packers away from a perfect season. An offense putting up points like they were going out of fashion; complemented by a defense that seemed to have a psychic influence as to just where the ball was going to be for the turnover. THE single greatest team to sadly never win it all.

Due to the very limited coverage in those early days, even at such a young age I became quite adept at tuning in our old transistor radio to a scratchy long wave band and the (US) Armed Forces Radio Network to pick up what info I could about my beloved heroes rampaging across a far off land in burgundy and gold. And darn if you didn't lose the signal at a vital moment, and then spent the next 5-10 minutes turning the dial EVER so slowly to get it back. But heck was that '83 team worth it. And then came that faitfull day in Tampa, and those blasted Raiders. I snuck out of bed and crept downstairs when everyone else was asleep to tune into Nicky Horne and some American basketball dude who's name escapes me on the Channel 4 TV coverage; and ended up balling my little eyes out when Marcus Allen ran all over us, going to school like a walking zombie the next day.

The sacrifices you make for, to many, the most important thing in life outside one's own faith and family: your team.

Thanks DP. You just both brought back a multitude of memory's to a long standing 'Skin, and TOTALLY made his weekend with the link.

Hail.

I attended this game and was totally sweating it out. Moseley was all over the place and I wasn't nearly as confident about this game or the Super Bowl as I was the year before. While I felt like the Skins were the better team, they sure didn't play like it.

Man watch that game if you have any questions why Darrell Green was so good. He was a rookie Cornerback and tackled better than anybody we have on our team now other than Fletcher. Just watch that game, it's incredible really that Cornerbacks are just garbage today in comparison. Also he returned a lateral for a TD that was called back, questionably too, in this game.

John Madden was dangling from Darrell Green in this game just as much as I've ever heard from him about Favre, Green owned in this game and was a ROOK. Oh, and Madden likes feet too, John Riggins feet, in fact, LOL. He also calls Theismann Montana and both announcers call Bill Walsh, Joe Walsh, lol.

Gibbs wasn't afraid to pull out all the stops. A lateral on a punt return. A fake punt. A pass by Riggins, and a pretty good one at that. Another thing I noticed was the blatant holding by the Niners O-Line that was never called. I was on the edge of my seat most of the game and when it was over, I had a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe that was a portent of things to come. I also attended the Super Bowl a couple weeks later. :(

Monk saved the game there at the end with that 3rd down catch, if not for that we'd have lost it.

Too bad Moseley missed 4 short kicks. Imagine the hate today if we had a kicker miss 4 kicks in a game and we were up 21-0 at the end of the 3rd and then find ourselves 21-21 with 8 minutes left in the 4th. LOL, no wonder Gibbs could put up with Brunell when none of us could, haha.

One of things I remember about this year, was how inconsistent we were defending the pass. This was especially noticeable against teams like Green Bay. D Green was just a rookie and as such, prone to an occasional bad game.

Two secondary guys that had played for us the year before....Jeris White and Tony Peters.....did not play in '83 due to one holding out and the other having to do with some drug-related offense. If those two had been with us, in hindsight probably wouldn't have been difficult to have seen us go 16-0......although we still may have gotten destroyed in the SB.

Two secondary guys that had played for us the year before....Jeris White and Tony Peters.....did not play in '83 due to one holding out and the other having to do with some drug-related offense. If those two had been with us, in hindsight probably wouldn't have been difficult to have seen us go 16-0......although we still may have gotten destroyed in the SB.

Joe Gibbs to this day firmly believes that the Raiders had spies watching our practices before the big game.

Also, it had been reported that several (up to 7) players, mostly starters, stayed up all night partying before the SB.

Joe Gibbs to this day firmly believes that the Raiders had spies watching our practices before the big game.

Also, it had been reported that several (up to 7) players, mostly starters, stayed up all night partying before the SB.

Yeah, Thiesmann said years later that he spent the days leading up to the Super Bowl being a celebrity and living it up and wasn't ready to play at all.

Thanks for this post. I'm so tired of cry-baby Frisco players *****ing about this game. As you point out, the reality on the field that day was far more complicated than they like to admit.

Gibbs wasn't afraid to pull out all the stops. A lateral on a punt return. A fake punt. A pass by Riggins, and a pretty good one at that. Another thing I noticed was the blatant holding by the Niners O-Line that was never called. I was on the edge of my seat most of the game and when it was over, I had a bad taste in my mouth. Maybe that was a portent of things to come. I also attended the Super Bowl a couple weeks later. :(

Watch any of those 49er teams in the day and check out Randy Cross. The guy leg whipped like son-of-gun on play after play. Just like now, some teams back then got all the breaks from the refs....cough cough PIttsburgh! cough...cough.

Oh no doubt the Niners got screwed on 2 bad calls, the first a PI that was bogus and finally the defensive holding that gave them 3 more downs and a chance to drain the clock. But you are right, the game was totally one sided and Mosley single kept the Niners in the game. I know this game well, I had it tapes and have probably seen it 2 dozen times.

Yeah, Thiesmann said years later that he spent the days leading up to the Super Bowl being a celebrity and living it up and wasn't ready to play at all.
They definitely took that Super Bowl for granted. If they would have spent their time practicing hard like they did all season, they could have won back to back Lombardi's.

---------- Post added January-23rd-2011 at 11:51 AM ----------

Plus Marcus Allen was just a beast that whole postseason.

So were the Redskins offense, they broke the NFL scoring record that year. You don't here much about the 1st playoff game vs the Rams, they spoke out saying they would break the Redskins like glass, then got blew out 51-7.

Archived