Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Weekend treat: Entire1983 NFC title game

DieselPwr44

Antony Washington was garbage. It is a testament to Richie Pettibone to be able to hide this guy in the secondary and win two conference titles.

This is one of the biggest games of the 80s that has been forgotten. Bill Walsh never avenged this loss in another post season vs Gibbs as CHI, NYG and LARams became big players in the NFC.

When I watch this game I am reminded of the professionalism of both organizations. This was a hard hitting game played by men. Makes todays players look like a bunch of spoiled punks.

Here is a good link for this game http://www.hulu.com/watch/123929/greatest-games-1983-clash-of-the-titans

I can't figure out what I enjoyed watching more...the 83 Skins whooping up on San Fran or the Ford Ranger doing a Superman off a cliff and the old Miller High Life commercial...I sure do miss the cheesy *** 80's sometimes.

And to watch Monk line up in the backfield and split wide on pre-snap motion almost brought tears to my eyes...man I miss the days of when our team was actually respected and cheered throughout the NFL.

Joe Gibbs to this day firmly believes that the Raiders had spies watching our practices before the big game.

Well watch this game and listen to Madden. He brings up that he was at the practices before this game multiple times in the game when something happens. He talks about watching the 49ers practice when the Tight End catches a ball, then he mentions watching some of the Redskins practices when Theirmann passes to Alvin Garrett, so if Madden can watch both practices before the NFCCG then who knows who was the spy? Maybe it was anybody, maybe it was Madden himself since he was a former Raiders coach. You never will know.

Antony Washington was garbage. It is a testament to Richie Pettibone to be able to hide this guy in the secondary and win two conference titles.

Here is a good link for this game http://www.hulu.com/watch/123929/greatest-games-1983-clash-of-the-titans

Anthony Washington wasn't on the team in 1982. The starters were Jeris White and Vernon Dean with Joe Lavender as the nickel.

Washington was signed as a free agent in 1983 after losing Jeris White to the USFL and Joe Lavender to retirement. He was the third corner with Darell Green and Vernon Dean being the starters at the start of 83. Richie inserted Washington into the starting lineup after Vernon Dean had a rough start to the season and experienced a sophomore slump.

He remained the starter until early in 1984 when Dean won his job back.

Blaming Anthony Washington for anything would be like Carlos Rogers sucking and sticking Kevin Barnes or Macho Harris in to replace him and then blame them when they are being beat by starting caliber receivers.

Archived