Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Keith Olbermann, MSNBC part ways

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Really? How many people who aren't already pretty liberal can actually watch him and not get pissed off?

He's a horrible representative for liberals. He's one of the reasons I mostly stopped watching MCNBC a few years back. And I used to watch it all the time before he gained prominence.

Im a liberal and I cant stand him. The way he presents the show is unbearable. He was one of the problems that Jon Stewart was talking about.

**** any of them who go way to far with wordage and exclamations.

Well, first, like I said, I want the different opinions out there, I just want them presented in a more responsible and honest manner. On BOTH sides. And second, there's something about liberal commentary that just doesn't sell. It's a legitimate, and rational, way of thinking. There are tons of people out there who espouse those virtues, and do so for honest, and understandable, reasons. But Air America crashed and burned. And MSNBC's ratings are garbage. I admit that I don't know whether it's financial backing, or ease of motivation of listeners/viewers that accounts for the discrepancy. But it's definitely there. Y'all need to get your **** figured out. ;)

Well, just so you know, probably a minute before you replied, I changed the last line of my post (the one you quote) since I didn't like the tone of my reply.

Liberal commentary sometimes doesn't sell because it is often "boring" or too wonkish. That's also why wonks on the Right generally don't have their own shows, or, at the least, ones that do well. Can you really imagine George Will carrying a show, every single evening, as he stares into the camera and talks policy?

BBC/PBS news have OK ratings, but they tend to have a niche audience (most of whom would probably poll as leaning liberal as well). CNN is probably the closest to a straight news program, and their ratings are middle of the road. They do alright, but they aren't "sexy" enough for some people (though CNN has an international reputation far above their domestic competition).

Now, John Stewart sells, and he is liberal, but he is certainly far from dull.

Fox sells because they go for sensational news and because their audience tends to focus on conservative news, TV, radio, and Internet and printed media. With an American population of 300 million, if you can garner 2-3% of this population, then you are doing alright for yourself.

This is why ratings are a maxed bag: I really don't want the lowest common denominator to determine what's good music. entertainment, or news TV. But apparently they do.

---------- Post added January-22nd-2011 at 05:01 AM ----------

Olbermann videos like the one linked blow is a demonstration to why I liked Olbermann at times. (Not always, because I don't watch TV every single night, not having a TV or the time for it.) He didn't have chalkboards or fancy tricks, nor did he bring guests onto the show to berate. Instead, he'd find an issue that he felt strongly about and he'd say his piece of mind on it. If he didn't like what someone said, then he'd also give his personal opinion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZpT2Muxoo0

Smugness or not, people like to hear his opinion, so I am sure his career is not over.

While Olbermann was definitely a loud pundit, he addressed issues that weren't often discussed or he showed the ridiculous assertions from the other side of the aisle. But if you didn't like him, then, yes, it was your choice to change that channel; that doesn't mean everyone agrees with you. I don't, after all.

Apparently, though, you were more upset at his tone as opposed to the issues that he discussed. And frankly, his tone wasn't that bad. Serious at times? For certain. Over-the-top from time to time. Yes. Imperfect? Sure. But when Olbermann would discuss serious subjects such as the Iraqi war, then his strong tone would certainly emphasize his feelings on the subject.

You even admit you haven't watched his show for years, right?

I didn't mind him as much as some people I know, but he just got on my nerves with his arrogant attitude and obsessiveness on some subjects.

Plus he was just so one sided and always seemed to take such pleasure from bashing the right.

I did tune in sometimes during the primaries and election times, since I don't care to watch Fox and I like to watch more than one channel during the elections and stuff.

I bet if you went around and asked moderates and conservatives about him, an overwhelming number would express displeasure with the guy (if they know who he is).

He's great if you're liberal and want to watch someone with your views go after people less liberal than you. If you're not, he's generally going to be an annoyance a lot of the time.

I didn't mind him as much as some people I know, but he just got on my nerves with his arrogant attitude and obsessiveness on some subjects.

Plus he was just so one sided and always seemed to take such pleasure from bashing the right.

I did tune in sometimes during the primaries and election times, since I don't care to watch Fox and I like to watch more than one channel during the elections and stuff.

Yeah, Olbermann can come across as a bit smug or arrogant at times. That's probably the primary adjective that comes up when people think of him. It's who he is.

I bet if you went around and asked moderates and conservatives about him, an overwhelming number would express displeasure with the guy (if they know who he is).

He's great if you're liberal and want to watch someone with your views go after people less liberal than you. If you're not, he's generally going to be an annoyance a lot of the time.

Well, I don't expect conservatives to like Olbermann. I mean, for real, they despise the guy. As far as "moderates" go, you'd have to show me what that term even means in American politics.

:applause::ciao::thumbsup:

I'm just wondering now how long that carpet :munchout: Maddow chick is going to be around. She's obnoxious.

She's fantastic IMO. Though I could see how she would piss certain people off being that she routinely took on Pat Buchanan without even losing her cool.

Olbermann was too arrogant for my liking.

It's probably a better thing that he's gone. I never watched him other than on clips posted here, but from the way he was described by both libs and conservs he sounds like one of the political shock jocks that are a problem with this country. Now, I'm not sure why he was fired, his contract wasn't renewed, or he stepped down and there may be something unsettling about that, but as for him and how he chose to present his views that will not be missed.

Seems to be a much more uniform reaction to him getting the boot than Imus, Juan Williams, or other libs. That may be telling. And yes, it would be good for the country if we wiped the slate clean and took Rush, Hannity, Beck, off the air. I think we could keep O'reilly, Scarborough and Matthews, and Maddow. (I haven't seen her much either as I don't have cable, but the few times I have she seemed to do her homework)

She's fantastic IMO. Though I could see how she would piss certain people off being that she routinely took on Pat Buchanan without even losing her cool.

Olbermann was too arrogant for my liking.

She's ok.

The only problem I have with her is that it seemed like every time I saw her on with Olberman (back when I would watch) she pretty much just acted like a sidekick and agreed with everything he said.

As far as "moderates" go, you'd have to show me what that term even means in American politics.

I am a moderate :), Olbie as a pundit was acceptable,trying to pass his shtick off as a newsman was not

Really? How many people who aren't already pretty liberal can actually watch him and not get pissed off?

He's a horrible representative for liberals. He's one of the reasons I mostly stopped watching MCNBC a few years back. And I used to watch it all the time before he gained prominence.

Olberman is a POS IMO. As V said he gave "liberals" a very bad connotation with his bombastic over the top rhetoric diatribes. He won't be missed but by a few myopids.

Im a liberal and I cant stand him. The way he presents the show is unbearable. He was one of the problems that Jon Stewart was talking about.

**** any of them who go way to far with wordage and exclamations.

nice to see its not just conservatives.

personally, I hate the whole opinion pundit type shows in the evening.

I wish they would just roll with the continuing news type programs 24/7. Leave the nonsense to sunday mornings.

I wonder though how many 24/7 news networks that one needs

I think they we would be better served in all cases if less bias is shown by certain folks

It's too bad -- Olbermann was a good outspoken critic and voice for liberals.

The Right is celebrating this, because it is less voice from the opposition.

They are? Why would they want a leftwing lighting rod who displays everything thats wrong about being a a far left liberal / progressive to leave?

I'm just surprised that both viewers of Soccer on ES can stay awake to also watch MSNBC. just don't operate heavy machinery while doing so okay?

Olbermann was fired (I assume) because he is a hateful person. He even makes Hannity seems nice by comparison.

I really hope MSNBC uses this as an opportunity to revamp themselves as a liberal network. They do need entertainment, but Olbermann's entertainment value went away because he came across as so smug, arrogant, mean, whatever. I actually think Maddow has some of that too, but it's nowhere near as bad as Olbermann and I partially fault him for her schtick.

Maddow could easily headline that network with new and better faces coming around her, IMO. She can be intellectual and entertaining, and as the headliner, she would have an opportunity to affect the culture of their programming. But they do need several new hosts. Laurence O'Donnell, for example, just isn't going to cut it. Neither is Schultz. I don't know who would be better, but I bet there are 10-20 liberal talking heads out there who would be better than Olbermann and those guys, easily.

It's interesting to me that now 2 of the 3 major cable news outlets (3 of the 4 if you count cnbc) are going to be headed up by unapologetic conservatives.

Will the right still be able to claim "its all the liberal media" ???

---------- Post added January-22nd-2011 at 12:02 PM ----------

oh, and 2 of the 4 major networks.

I'm not sure they ever really had a right to claim that anyway considering the first thing that was thrown out there was how low the ratings were and how liberal media doesn't sell etc. If that's the case, and nobody watches/listens to the shows, why the need for insults? And why care one way or another?

I'm not sure they ever really had a right to claim that anyway considering the first thing that was thrown out there was how low the ratings were and how liberal media doesn't sell etc. If that's the case, and nobody watches/listens to the shows, why the need for insults? And why care one way or another?

I always thought that spoke more to the need to have view points reinforced and the release of chemicals in the brain that give on a good feeling when their ideas are reinforced. Couple that we a message of this is the only source for truth and you create yourself a steady audience.

It's interesting to me that now 2 of the 3 major cable news outlets (3 of the 4 if you count cnbc) are going to be headed up by unapologetic conservatives.

The "liberal mainstream" media has been a bit of a myth at least for the last several years. It can't exist if FOX owns the ratings on tv and conservatives dominate the radio as well. There is a difference though I don't think of it as mainstream versus outsider/minority, but rather the "professional" media and the sensationalistic media.

I do think Olbermann's ouster could be very bad for conservatives. After all, whenever, Beck did something the Right would shout... "but Olbermann"

or whenver Rush would say something you'd hear, "but Olbermann" or after O'Reilly would say something, Coulter would say something, Palin would say something, Hannity would say something, Savage would say something...etc. you would hear, "but Olbermann"

Now, with Olbermann gone... at least temporaily how are they going to claim equivalence as they always do.

Since when has the truth been a necessary requirement for them?

Archived