Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

twitter: John Harbaugh is an *******, oops, I mean, said he wants to 'Take Control of the D.C fanbase'/ Haloti Ngata Aint Goin Nowhere

SMOSS89

For anyone thinking about beaing a Ravens fan please go live in the craphole of a city and enjoy yourself.

Says the guy who lives in Waldorf.

The Ravens have been a contender for a decade now. In that same time, Snyder has sunk the Skins to our worst era in 40 years. And yet the Ravens are barely a blip in the DC metro region.

The ravens are a blip, yet it seems a lot of the Redskins fanbase loves to get their panties in a bunch about them.

I live in Baltimore. I'm not a Ravens fan. I don't care about them. They are just another NFL team to me. No different than the Chiefs or Jags.

I guarantee you if a Redskins coach said this, you'd be cheering.

Some of you all really need to get over yourself.

I guess all those Steeler fans in WV are up in arms too...Maybe all those Eagles fans in York....

It's not like the Ravens have marketed in the DC area like the Redskins have...

The NFL has designed rules to minimize any conflict between the clubs. The teams adhere to league-approved boundaries governing sales or promotions -- such things as billboards and pizza giveaways -- by the franchises or their sponsors using team symbols. The Redskins retain rights to Montgomery and Prince George's counties, and the Ravens have the rest of the state.

Occasionally, the rules are violated. Several years ago, John Ziemann, president of the Ravens marching band, received a letter at his Harford County home pitching a "pre-sale" of Redskins season tickets to customers of Bank of America, a Redskins sponsor.

...Both the Redskins and the bank said the mistake was inadvertent.

Why people care about who someone else cheers for is beyond me. We should be worrying about making sure our own house is in order. We should be worrying about when we can beat the freaking Giants again. We should be worrying about when OUR team is going to contend again.

Says the guy who lives in Waldorf.

Baltimore is a POS city. Its traffic sucks, its layout sucks, its people suck. I earned both my undergraduate and graduate degrees from schools in that city, and honestly, it probably makes me less qualified than people who drop out from Waldorf High.

The ravens are a blip, yet it seems a lot of the Redskins fanbase loves to get their panties in a bunch about them.

I live in Baltimore. I'm not a Ravens fan. I don't care about them. They are just another NFL team to me. No different than the Chiefs or Jags.

I question how many people you talk to on a daily basis regarding football and how many people know that you're a Redskins fan. Baltimorons are just that. They talk so much trash and hate the Redskins because JKC didn't want Baltimore to have a team.

I think that you're oblivious.

I guarantee you if a Redskins coach said this, you'd be cheering.

Some of you all really need to get over yourself.

I guess all those Steeler fans in WV are up in arms too...Maybe all those Eagles fans in York....

It's not like the Ravens have marketed in the DC area like the Redskins have...

If a Redskins coach said this, then I'd call him a moron, and so would most of us. This has nothing to do with "getting over" ourselves.

The Steelers fans in West Virginia and the Eagles fans in York have nothing to do with this conversation, so I don't know why you brought them up. The Washington Redskins market in Washington. Very good. Do you have anything else to add?

Why people care about who someone else cheers for is beyond me. We should be worrying about making sure our own house is in order. We should be worrying about when we can beat the freaking Giants again. We should be worrying about when OUR team is going to contend again.

We don't want fairweather fans. Why people care about why people care about who someone else cheers for is beyond me.

I think that you've missed the point of this thread. Baltimore sucks. Ravens fans suck. Facts are facts.

Look, as i've said before, the Ravens are a much better run organization than the Skins. However, if someone is going to jump ship to another team it probably should be the Steelers and not the Ravens. Because quiet as kept, the Ravens haven't won anything of merit since 2000. Since then the Steelers have won 2 SBs and have positioned themselves to win a 3rd. All the Ravens have done is talk big and bad every season "We're the Baltimore Bullies...it would be highway robbery if we don't win the SB...We're the most talented team from top to bottom in the league..blah, blah, blah"...yet always fall short ... Again, they're a darn good organization, but just not worth jumping ship for.

Bandwagoners should absolutely join Steeler Nation (they'd fit right in). They're unfortunately the best thing going, but the post I addressed was about the Redskins and the Ravens and if you want a winner now, the choice between the two is obvious, imho. You say that Baltimore's many playoff wins aren't "anything of merit" then what does Washington possibly have to offer to a bandwagon fan?

Bandwagoners should absolutely join Steeler Nation. They're unfortunately the best thing going, but the post I addressed was about the Redskins and the Ravens and if you want a winner now, the choice between the two is obvious, imho. You say that Baltimore's many playoff wins are "nothing of merit" then what does Washington possibly have to offer (to a bandwagon fan)?

The same thing since 2000: People you've heard of. The Ravens just make people to hear of; ours are pre-made like effing Lunchables.

Baltimore is a POS city. Its traffic sucks, its layout sucks, its people suck. I earned both my undergraduate and graduate degrees from schools in that city, and honestly, it probably makes me less qualified than people who drop out from Waldorf High.

I question how many people you talk to on a daily basis regarding football and how many people know that you're a Redskins fan. Baltimorons are just that. They talk so much trash and hate the Redskins because JKC didn't want Baltimore to have a team.

I think that you're oblivious.

If a Redskins coach said this, then I'd call him a moron, and so would most of us. This has nothing to do with "getting over" ourselves.

The Steelers fans in West Virginia and the Eagles fans in York have nothing to do with this conversation, so I don't know why you brought them up. The Washington Redskins market in Washington. Very good. Do you have anything else to add?

We don't want fairweather fans. Why people care about why people care about who someone else cheers for is beyond me.

I think that you've missed the point of this thread. Baltimore sucks. Ravens fans suck. Facts are facts.

It's quite clear you are no intellectual. I highly doubt you have even as much as an undergrad. I believe your perception is jaded due to the fact you probably socialize with unwashed un-educated dolts. I clearly associate with a might higher class of people than you do.

It's traffic sucks? Compared to DC? Are you ****ing kidding me?

WV and York have everything to do with the conversation because that's what was included in the presser given by Harbaugh. You know...before it was edited and condensed to make it appear he was singling out the DC Area.

If you don't want fair-weather fans, why on earth would you care if a fair-weather fan moved from the Skins to the Ravens. Logically, speaking, you should only be concerned if they were moving the other way.

Frankly, everyone I know is aware of the fact I'm a Redskins fan.

I've only ever met one person who truly disliked them. An elderly black man who disliked the Redskins because they were the last team in integrate.

You clearly have anger issues which you need to resolve.

It's quite clear you are no intellectual. I highly doubt you have even as much as an undergrad. I believe your perception is jaded due to the fact you probably socialize with unwashed un-educated dolts. I clearly associate with a might higher class of people than you do.

It's traffic sucks? Compared to DC? Are you ****ing kidding me?

WV and York have everything to do with the conversation because that's what was included in the presser given by Harbaugh. You know...before it was edited and condensed to make it appear he was singling out the DC Area.

If you don't want fair-weather fans, why on earth would you care if a fair-weather fan moved from the Skins to the Ravens. Logically, speaking, you should only be concerned if they were moving the other way.

Frankly, everyone I know is aware of the fact I'm a Redskins fan.

I've only ever met one person who truly disliked them. An elderly black man who disliked the Redskins because they were the last team in integrate.

You clearly have anger issues which you need to resolve.

I'm no intellectual because you disagree with me. Brilliant. Off to a fantastic start.

I socialize with unwashed "un-educated" (highly ironic that your education didn't teach you how to spell the word "uneducated", by the way) dolts and you clearly associate with a "might higher" (I'll wait for your un-un-educated explanation of that word) class of people than I do. I mean, at least you picked the correct "then."

Its (there's that pesky un-education again) traffic does suck. I don't drive in D.C. I never said a word about D.C.'s traffic. Fail again.

Nobody's discussing West Virginia going to the Steelers or Eagles fans going to York. YOU brought that irrelevant information into the discussion for some unknown reason.

We don't want fair-weather fans coming from Baltimore. I was responding to your hypothetical about roles being reversed. Try to keep up if you're going to fail so hard in trying to be a complete ass in your response.

To have lived in Baltimore and only met one person who truly disliked the Redskins is simply unbelievable unless your sample number is ridiculously small. However, I have heard that argument that your elderly black acquaintance/friend/whatever made.

Your entire post is coated in anger, hypocrisy, and irony. Let's take a shower before we try and call others dirty, shall we?

It would be a wise decision. I'll never be a fan of any other team, I'm just not wired that way. But sometimes I wish I could be, I really do. The Redskins on the field product sucks. And it has sucked consistently since 1993 (minus 2 JG playoff years)

I really don't understand why you would fault someone for choosing another team. Especially someone outside of the DC area. Christ, on some level, this is supposed to be fun isn't it? What's fun about watching your team get its ass kicked like a bunch of incompetent losers week in and week out for two decades?

It would be a whole lot more fun to be a bandwagon Pats/Steelers fan. I know several, they always seem to really enjoy football season. I mean, really, really, really enjoy it. While I'm pretty much miserable. And the worst part is, we're not even the lovable losers. Our owner is a Class A prick.

It would be a wise decision. I'll never be a fan of any other team, I'm just not wired that way. But sometimes I wish I could be, I really do. The Redskins on the field product sucks. And it has sucked consistently since 1993 (minus 2 JG playoff years)

I really don't understand why you would fault someone for choosing another team. Especially someone outside of the DC area. Christ, on some level, this is supposed to be fun isn't it? What's fun about watching your team get its ass kicked like a bunch of incompetent losers week in and week out for two decades?

It would be a whole lot more fun to be a bandwagon Pats/Steelers fan. I know several, they always seem to really enjoy football season. I mean, really, really, really enjoy it. Where as me... I'm pretty much miserable. And the worst part is, we're not even the lovable losers. Our owner is a Class A prick.

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. If you don't want to be a Redskins fan, or if you want to want to not be a Redskins fan, then go. This isn't like not wanting to be a certain race or gender or body type; this is a football team.

If someone doesn't want to be a fan of the Redskins but claims to be, then he's not a fan; he's a masochist. Well, still a fan, but more the latter than the former.

I guess that we just have different definitions of what it means to be a fan. A fan is loyal and dedicated, not just someone who feels the need to cheer for the team; that's an addict.

If people want to feel bad for themselves, then send me pictures from the pity party. Don't, however, revel when things turn around, because you haven't earned it. Don't say that you were there the whole time when you weren't.

Of course, this isn't aimed at you, zoony, but the archetype of the fan that you're describing.

I really don't understand why you would fault someone for choosing another team. Especially someone outside of the DC area. Christ, on some level, this is supposed to be fun isn't it?

Maybe some are maxed out in hatred for our own team, that it needs to spread like the plague to others?

to you Newcliche, I apologize for my hostility. I had a bad morning.

You certainly don't need to worry about fairweather fans moving from Baltimore to DC. What reason would they possibly have to do so? To go from a team that's been a contender the past 3 years to a team that's been a joke for the past 11?

Not even just the past three years for the Ravens or a joke for the past eleven for us.

They won a Super Bowl ten years ago this month, have had at least three Hall of Famers (Ogden, Lewis, Reed), and are almost always in the playoffs or just outside of them.

We're awful, but we're ours.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 09:39 AM ----------

Maybe some are maxed out in hatred for our own team, that it needs to spread like the plague to others?

to you Newcliche, I apologize for my hostility. I had a bad morning.

Dude. You see what site you're registered member of? You've had a bad twenty years; you don't have to apologize for ****. I do reciprocate the sentiment. :cheers:

I don't understand this line of thinking at all. If you don't want to be a Redskins fan, or if you want to want to not be a Redskins fan, then go. This isn't like not wanting to be a certain race or gender or body type; this is a football team.

If someone doesn't want to be a fan of the Redskins but claims to be, then he's not a fan; he's a masochist. Well, still a fan, but more the latter than the former.

I guess that we just have different definitions of what it means to be a fan. A fan is loyal and dedicated, not just someone who feels the need to cheer for the team; that's an addict.

If people want to feel bad for themselves, then send me pictures from the pity party. Don't, however, revel when things turn around, because you haven't earned it. Don't say that you were there the whole time when you weren't.

Of course, this isn't aimed at you, zoony, but the archetype of the fan that you're describing.

If somebody wants to tell me they've been loyal to their wife for 20+ years, their job for 10+ years, their family, I'll award serious props. Loyalty to a sports team is not impressive to me. Nor would I care if you told me you'd been building model airplanes for 20 years. Your loyalty to your interests and hobbies is, quite frankly, unimpressive and no reflection on your character. So let's not pretend like it is.

As for my fandom, I've got better things to do than discuss it with someone I don't know on a Redskins message board where I've got 15k plus posts. Really.

Not even just the past three years for the Ravens or a joke for the past eleven for us.

They won a Super Bowl ten years ago this month, have had at least three Hall of Famers (Ogden, Lewis, Reed), and are almost always in the playoffs or just outside of them.

We're awful, but we're ours.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 09:39 AM ----------

Dude. You see what site you're registered member of? You've had a bad twenty years; you don't have to apologize for ****. I do reciprocate the sentiment. :cheers:

I also take it personally when people bad mouth Baltimore. This is my home now. Has been for 11 years. It's the home of my Wife and her family which is now MY family.

I loved living near DC, and I love living near Baltimore. Both have their faults and pluses. They are two different cities which really cannot be compared to one another.

I hate threads like this because I always end up sticking up for Baltimore (the city), but it appears as if I'm sicking up for the Ravens.

I guess my round-about point in all this is: If I can live, laugh, and exist in the middle of this messy sea of Purple and Black without issue, I just don't see how someone in Annandale VA( for example) can complain about Ravens fans. In the end, we're all fans of NFL. I liken it to hating someone who likes CSI: NY instead of CSI: Miami. We're all fans of the same product. I'll dislike you and your team for the 3.5 hours we play you on Sunday. After that, I don't care. To hold a grudge past that is pointless.

I also take it personally when people bad mouth Baltimore. This is my home now. Has been for 11 years. It's the home of my Wife and her family which is now MY family.

I loved living near DC, and I love living near Baltimore. Both have their faults and pluses. They are two different cities which really cannot be compared to one another.

I hate threads like this because I always end up sticking up for Baltimore (the city), but it appears as if I'm sicking up for the Ravens.

I guess my round-about point in all this is: If I can live, laugh, and exist in the middle of this messy sea of Purple and Black without issue, I just don't see how someone in Annandale VA( for example) can complain about Ravens fans. In the end, we're all fans of NFL. I liken it to hating someone who likes CSI: NY instead of CSI: Miami. We're all fans of the same product. I'll dislike you and your team for the 3.5 hours we play you on Sunday. After that, I don't care. To hold a grudge past that is pointless.

Well, then you don't like me, because I hate Baltimore. Born in Silver Spring, raised in Columbia, school in Baltimore, twice. I hate that stupid city and its stupid people and its stupid everything. Are there exceptions? Sure. Overall, though, I hate that city.

I don't understand how fans who don't have to put up with the idiots from Baltimore can dislike the Ravens; who cares? I'm with you on that. I don't care about Chargers fans or Jaguars fans just like someone from Richmond really has no reason to hate Ravens fans.

And CSI sucks. :)

I spend a lot of time in Baltimore. Will be there for a week in February, actually. I think Baltimore is a city with a lot of character, and I think the areas surrounding Baltimore are very nice.

That said, anytime I wear a Redskins shirt (it's rare, I'm usually in business atire when there) I catch a load of **** from everywhere. It's all in good fun though...

Its already happening slowly I was at a restaurant watching the game on Saturday in Falls Church and every time the Ravens did something good the whole place went nuts. Some people here are overreacting though. If people want to stop being Skins fans and be a Ravens fan who cares?

I really don't understand why you would fault someone for choosing another team. ....

I really don't understand how any real fan could not fault someone who switches allegiences. Being a fan isn't about the path of least resistance. It's about sticking with your team through thick and thin. The bad times are what makes championships that much sweeter. So if any of you (or your friends) are tempted to switch to the Ratbirds I say good riddance. Take your Lakers, Yankees and Penguins gear and hit the highway. And when you come back when the Skins are good again claiming that you've been a Skins fan since birth I'll have the requisite amount of comtempt for you and yours. If you want to switch teams that's all fine and dandy but don't expect to earn any respect for it. It's the easy way out.

It would be a whole lot more fun to be a bandwagon Pats/Steelers fan. I know several, they always seem to really enjoy football season. I mean, really, really, really enjoy it. While I'm pretty much miserable. And the worst part is, we're not even the lovable losers. Our owner is a Class A prick.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If my heart allowed me to jump ship I would have done so years ago. Sadly I'm a lifer like many of the people on this board. To be perfectly honest I don't think the skins have many fans left that are otherwise. Hard to build a fair weather fan base when your team team has been under a hurricane of fail for the better part of two decades.

I still enjoy watch the games and knowing way too much about a football team (sometimes it does seem a little ridiculous doesn't it?) but I'd be a great deal happier if the skins were a yearly 10 win or more ball club. I don't even need a Superbowl at this point to be honest just a good team.

I stopped buying merchandise a couple years back as one fans protest... so far I have failed to change the franchise. :pfft:

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 03:35 PM ----------

I really don't understand how any real fan could not fault someone who switches allegiences. Being a fan isn't about the path of least resistance. It's about sticking with your team through thick and thin. The bad times are what makes championships that much sweeter. So if any of you (or your friends) are tempted to switch to the Ratbirds I say good riddance. Take your Lakers, Yankees and Penguins gear and hit the highway. And when you come back when the Skins are good again claiming that you've been a Skins fan since birth I'll have the requisite amount of comtempt for you and yours. If you want to switch teams that's all fine and dandy but don't expect to earn any respect for it. It's the easy way out.

And what if the championship never comes and the team gets worse and eventually moves? What does that make us fans? I'm not going anywhere and frankly can't but intellectually I realize that the risk is being a life long sucker. A source of income that financed failure. That's how I feel about fans of other ball clubs where the ownership is clearly just screwing a loyal fan base over because they know that they don't have to do squat to get these people into the stadium and into their stores. At some point a fan can become an idiot with a fist full of money.

I could easily see this happening if Redskins continue to have loosing seasons. People in the Washington area are not too excited about Mike Shannahan that is attempting to get rid of Donovan McNabb. It's sad to see because he is probably going to be with another team and do much better under their offense. Not only that but if we draft a QB, it will take time for him to learn the system. He may struggle a bit under our O-Line and possibly become an injury prone QB. At the best, I see the Redskins going 6-10 again or 5-11.

If the Ravens continue to have successful seasons, it could easily hurt the Redskins fan base. Baltimore is an AFC team, but they are a near by city. Their games seem to be a lot more exciting when it comes down to the defense. They make interceptions and sack the other teams QB a lot. When the Ravens are on defense, you don't feel like the opposing team's offense is going to launch the ball 50 yards for a TD. When the Redskins are on the field, I attend to feel that way. Rey Lewis is definitely a crowd favorite. He gets the defense fired up and the crowd excited about the game. The Redskins just can't seem to create this energy inside FedEx field.

Anyone ever watch Ravens game when we have a 4 pm game the same day and its the only 1 pm game shown?

They are awful, they are boring and it honestly reminds me of watching the Big 10 games at noon on Saturday.

I'd fall asleep watching those games consistantly

As for me and the Redskins, this is a life long love, this team is family. I probably think about the Redskins as much as any other thing in my life. I am not going anywhere

Sports fandom is kind of ridiculous. You choose your favorite team when you are seven years on one of three criteria:

1. They are the team closest to you.

2. They are the best team at the time.

3. You like their uniforms.

And you are stuck with that team forever. You are never allowed to change your mind. If we made other decisions this way, my favorite movie would still be Pete's Dragon and my favorite book would be "Scooby Doo and the Mystery of the Syrup Factory."

Sports fandom is kind of ridiculous. You choose your favorite team when you are seven years on one of three criteria:

And you are stuck with that team forever. You are never allowed to change your mind. If we made other decisions this way' date=' my favorite movie would still be Pete's Dragon and my favorite book would be "Scooby Doo and the Mystery of the Syrup Factory."[/quote']

:ols:

Anyone ever watch Ravens game when we have a 4 pm game the same day and its the only 1 pm game shown?

They are awful, they are boring and it honestly reminds me of watching the Big 10 games at noon on Saturday.

I'd fall asleep watching those games consistantly

As for me and the Redskins, this is a life long love, this team is family. I probably think about the Redskins as much as any other thing in my life. I am not going anywhere

That's how I feel...about it all. If you're wired to be a fairweather fan, why the Ravens? I get that their relatively local, but so what? It's so easy to follow ANY team now, that I think teams like the Saints or Packers would be much more popular if you were looking to jump ship.

As for me personally, I just can't do it. It sounds corny, but I really didn't make a conscious decision to become a fan, I just became one. I'm happy I did...really those 10 years in the 1980s/90s probably contained more incredible memories for me than 75% of football fans get in 50 years of watching their teams, so I won't complain.

And you are stuck with that team forever. You are never allowed to change your mind. If we made other decisions this way' date=' my favorite movie would still be Pete's Dragon and my favorite book would be "Scooby Doo and the Mystery of the Syrup Factory."[/quote']

Good stuff! It's very true and a fascinating thing. How did the Syrup Factory turn out? Was it Old Man Dithers dressed as a zombie?

Archived