Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

twitter: John Harbaugh is an *******, oops, I mean, said he wants to 'Take Control of the D.C fanbase'/ Haloti Ngata Aint Goin Nowhere

SMOSS89

Let's see...

Super Bowls: 3 > 1

Colors: Burgundy/Gold > Black/Purple

Best Stadium: RFK > M&T Bank

Cheerleaders: First Ladies of Football > Ravenettes

Best 2 Coaches: Allen/Gibbs > Harbaugh/Billick

Wasn't the Browns: Redskins > Ravens

Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon Harbaugh.

Which team has been the best consistently over the past 20 years? That would be the Steelers.

If you're talking the past 10, can likely make the argument for the Pats, although a Pittsburgh win in this SB would probably put them above NE for the past decade.

The Steelers have been to three Superbowls in the past 20 years and won two. The Patriots have been to five Superbowls in the past 20 years and won 3. It's pretty simple math to determine who has been better over that span. The Patriots also beat the Steelers in the playoffs and routinely beat them during the regular season. How can the Steelers be better than the Patriots when they can't beat them head to head? Also, even though they didn't win the Superbowl that year, the Pats still turned in the greatest regular season in the history of the NFL. That's worth something.

I think it's pretty clear the Pats have been the most successful franchise of the last twenty years and the only way that could change is if the goddamn Cowboys win a few Superbowls in the next two or three years or if Pittsburgh rips off a couple straight. I don't see how that happens though because of the way the Pats retool every season with loads of draft picks. My god last year's class and this year's class alone could be enough to springboard them toward a whole decade of sustained dominance.

It's the perfect opportunity too. The younger Redskins fans haven't seen **** from this team, while the Ravens are consistently good. My friends have started following the Ravens more closely. Hey, it would be nice to cheer for a winner once in a decade right?

Yea I'm 19 years old and despite how ****ty this team has been since the YEAR OF MY BIRTH I'll never give up on this franchise. Anybody that migrates to another team definitely shouldn't consider themselves passionate fans of the game, but just bandwagon fans that only like success. When the 'Skins win their next Lombardi, I'll still be here and be proud to say I stood by their side through thick and thin.

Didn't see it posted here... an article by Rich Tandler with the direct quote (see below):

http://www.fanfeedr.com/nfl/2011/01/17/harbaugh-well-take-over-washington-d-c

The words of a cheerleader of a coach playing up to Steve Bisciotti. I think Bisciotti is smart enough to see through this punk.

---------- Post added January-17th-2011 at 07:54 PM ----------

Three words: Purple Male Cheerleaders

The words of a cheerleader of a coach playing up to Steve Bisciotti. I think Bisciotti is smart enough to see through this punk.

---------- Post added January-17th-2011 at 07:54 PM ----------

Three words: Purple Male Cheerleaders

Exactly. Sorry Harbaugh - you are the Steelers' *****. Hahaha!

I think the Ravens have an uphill battle for growing their fanbase. It's a transplant team with a very short history compared to many of the well-established franchises. Morever, the Steelers tend to dominate their division, gobbling up most of their division's media attention while Cincinatti, Cleveland, and Baltimore have to rely on smaller markets. The NFC East gets a lot more media exposure -- and well-established fanbases in larger markets, like Dallas, New York, Washington as well as fans all over the area.

And don't forget how the Redskins have traditionally been the NFL franchise that garnered most of the media attention around this region. The Ravens and Panthers are essentially the newcomer franchises competing for this region's fanbase -- made up of generations of fans who have been following the Redskins for many years before these other franchises came on the scene. Basically, people don't change long-rooted loyalties that often, so I suspect it's going to take a LOT of failure on the Redskins part to drive their fans to other teams. And even then, the other teams are still going to have to show they are the better game in town. That's a tough sell.

So, we're still the big franchise in the region, at least until the Ravens and Panthers set up their dynasty of winning and bringing home a lot of trophies to lure away our fanbase. Since the Ravens haven't been able to get past the Steelers, I suspect if the Redskins can start to show a pulse again -- we'll continue to corner the market in our metropolitan region. ...And we're headed in the right direction to show that the Skins can be playoff level winners again.

I think an area like Columbia which used to be solid Redskins territory is definitely up for grabs. Same goes for Arundel Mills. I have a lot of MD friends who root for both, and are more willing to go to a Ravens game because the experience is 10 times better than FedEx, plus its better to go to a win, which the Redskins aren't known for these past few years. The question is how far can the Ravens push that line from Baltimore towards DC. Whats next? Montgomery County? PG County?

I know a lot of people who switched. Only so much Snyder you can take. It's amazing that just 40 miles away they have such a loyal fanbase, rain or shine, whereas a lot of the folks here just sell their season tickets to steelers and eagles fans. I guess if you have douchebags at the top, you end up with douchebags at the bottom, huh.

Unfortunately for you, and the redskins, your definition of a "good fan" makes up the minority of the fanbase. I've seen many of my friends switch to at least a competitive team, like the Ravens. The Redskins aren't your children or family members. You don't have to love them unconditionally, they say.

The members of generation Ipod that leave or never rooted for the team aren't missed. More than likely they didn't buy tickets or merchandise anyway.

And it makes it so much sweeter to laugh at local football viewers wearing iggle Vick jerseys, cowpoke jerseys or Raven jerseys after early exits

the guy get repeatedly raped by Big Ben year after year. He needs to focus on the field and getting his QB to show up in playoff games

Yep, Roethlisberger has won 9 out of the last 11 games against the Ratbirds. He pretty much owns them.

The ravens must not have a lot of fans if their coach has to actively politic for the team.

I have a friend that was with Baltimore at one time. He said during practice, when a player wasn't doing what he thought he should be, Harbaugh would go into about the Redskins. He would swear at the players and tell them if they wanted to be losers he would send them down 95 so they could play for a soft team that would never win. For some reason, this guy seems to hate the Redskins. Said it happened often in training camp. Maybe his years with the Eagles has him pissed at us. I wouldn't know why since the Eagles seemed to always beat us. I can't stand the guy.

I have a friend that was with Baltimore at one time. He said during practice, when a player wasn't doing what he thought he should be, Harbaugh would go into about the Redskins. He would swear at the players and tell them if they wanted to be losers he would send them down 95 so they could play for a soft team that would never win. For some reason, this guy seems to hate the Redskins. Said it happened often in training camp. Maybe his years with the Eagles has him pissed at us. I wouldn't know why since the Eagles seemed to always beat us. I can't stand the guy.

It's funny though, someone should ask him how many Super Bowls he's won since he became their HC. Here's a hint, just as many as we have.

At least darklight isn't dumb enough to start a "Bow down to the Ravens greatness" thread.

The thing is, as the older Redskins fan continue to get older, gone are the days when fans grow up with the same team, besides maybe QB position(and that is if you find a true franchise QB), free agency has changed the game drastically, especially when it comes to fan loyalty and community identification.

The thing is, as the older Redskins fan continue to get older, gone are the days when fans grow up with the same team, besides maybe QB position(and that is if you find a true franchise QB), free agency has changed the game drastically, especially when it comes to fan loyalty and community identification.

Do you really need the "same team" to be die hard though? IMHO, when you put on the B&G, I am an instant fan. As soon as you put on another team's colors, though, good riddance. It's not the players, it's the colors.

It's going to happen no matter what. Young kids choosing a team are less likely to choose the skins then ever. Hell I feel bad even suggesting that children unrelated to me be made into skins fans. Now if they are related they have to be, I've suffered through this miserable nightmare and won't tolerate a happy football fan in the family.

They should really give Cleveland their team back.

Side note, this is the main reason why I started becoming a Belichick fan. He resigned as head coach rather than follow Model's franchise to that cesspool city.

Only someone with a low self esteem (cough....the lesser Harbaugh....cough) would want to coach in Baltimore.

How could you be a Redskins fan and then become a Ravens fan? I never understood that. I live in San Diego now and root for the Chargers to do well, but Redskins vs. Chargers....I would want to annihilate the Chargers. I could never root for a team the way I do the Skins.

And Ngata ain't going anywhere...I hope we find our own in the draft this year.

I think an area like Columbia which used to be solid Redskins territory is definitely up for grabs. Same goes for Arundel Mills. I have a lot of MD friends who root for both, and are more willing to go to a Ravens game because the experience is 10 times better than FedEx, plus its better to go to a win, which the Redskins aren't known for these past few years. The question is how far can the Ravens push that line from Baltimore towards DC. Whats next? Montgomery County? PG County?
I agree with this observation.

Compared to RFK, FedEx Field has downgraded the Redskins game-day experience -- from the inconveniences of logistics of getting to the game, to the in-stadium experience, and even diminishing the fan's "12-man" role to boost the team's performance.

The other factor Thnking Skins touched on -- is that no fan ever wants to be associated with a 'culture of losing.' And after the follies of the Spurrier era, and the unraveling of the team in the last 20+ games of the Zorn era -- the Skins were starting to look like the McMillen Lions or the "Ain'ts." Now, Shanahan's first season as Head Coach was painful too, but at least the Skins seem to be headed in the right direction now. Frankly, Shanahan's success or failure during the next two seasons will be critical in whether the Redskins retain the next generation of their fanbase.

However, the greater Washington metropolitan area is starving for a champion -- and if the Skins can get deep into the playoffs or win a Superbowl -- you'll see all those Maryland fans drifting back, and everyone sporting the Burgundy & Gold.

... But the Redskins FO still needs to figure out a way to make the experience of attending a game at FedEx Field more friendly.

Archived