Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GameDay Thread: Divisional Round

ACW

Question: Why didnt Kemoatu's late hit bring the TD back? The refs said it was "after the play", but a late hit is a contunuation of the play isnt it? I know if you late hit the QB it is.. Say the QB throws an INT-pick six.. If he's late hit it comes back.. Makes no sense to me, unless Im missing something..
Hitting a QB "late" means that you are hitting him after he has cleanly released the ball, not after the ball is dead. Roughing the passer occurs during the play, while the ball is in the air or the receiver's hands.

Hitting a QB "late" means that you are hitting him after he has cleanly released the ball, not after the ball is dead. Roughing the passer occurs during the play, while the ball is in the air or the receiver's hands.

Easiest explanation: In the game, it was a dead ball foul. In the example (roughing the passer) the foul occurs during the play.

is "aiding the runner" ever called in the NFL? not that it wasnt a great run, cause it was...but the OLineman DEF pushed him across for the TD

I haven't seen it called. It happens so much, especially on QB sneaks and short yardage, and with the RB in the pile. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen it called, in High School, College, or Pro ball.

In the game, the late hit happened after the touchdown, or a dead-ball foul. As soon as the TD is scored, it's a dead ball, thus anything after the TD is a dead ball foul. On your example, the late hit on the QB happens during the play, a live ball foul, and the TD is rightly called back.

Gotcha.. Thanks!

Archived