Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andrew Perloff>INSIDE THE NFL MOCK Draft.....what do you think???

sknz45

I'll give it a crack. Todd McShay listed Locker as the number one player overall last year. Mock drafts are a big group think session and many people moved up Locker accordingly. Locker stayed in college and had a poor year, so now people think we can get "value" by getting the guy that "would" have gone first last year.

Not so fast, my friends.

McShay is not the end-all, be-all of scouting. It reminds me of when McShay had Javan Snead as a high first round pick and that helped convince Snead to come out early and get drafted in the 7th or not at all...

Anyways, it's just ESPN's voice being recited by many. Unless Locker shows up in a huge way in shorts he's not going in the top 10.

This is true. Mel Kiper makes McShay look like his ***** on draft day every year

Agreed. I live in PAC 10 country and have seen him play. Dude is all hype. Yeah, he's a great athlete. He also can't hit what he's aiming at. Accuracy is kinda important in the NFL.

He's a mid-round guy to me. A project.

Also, being ranked the number one QB by some scout like McShay is meaningless. No one knows how high he would have gone once coaches really looked at him. Hell, Colt Brennan was talked about as a top five pick by some of these so-called experts.

Here's a little more supporting info:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/18/locker-didnt-get-a-first-round-grade-from-advisory-committee/

Despite a proclamation by ESPN’s Todd McShay that Locker would/should/could be the first overall pick, a league source tells us that Locker didn’t receive a first-round grade from the Advisory Committee.

The source concedes that Locker might have still be drafted in round one given the value of the position, but the source insists that McShay was flat wrong in his assessment of Locker.

“That’s the problem,” the source opined. “McShay is clueless. Up until three weeks before the 2008 draft, he said that [Kentucky's] Andre Woodson would be a first-round pick. He went in the sixth and is out of the league.”

Once again, if Newton's there when we pick at 10, Bruce and Shanny better get on the phone and pick the sucker that offers us the most picks.

agreed

---------- Post added January-5th-2011 at 03:20 PM ----------

"Jake Locker is the most frustrating quarterback prospect I've scouted in more than 10 years in the profession. Physically, he has the skills to warrant a Top 10 selection. Locker is experienced in the pro-style offense, demonstrating the quick feet and balance necessary in dropping back from center. He has a over-the-top release and a very strong arm. Locker's accuracy is maddeningly inconsistent, however. He's developed some bad habits running for cover behind a porous Washington offensive line, panicking when his first reads are covered and throwing off his back foot. Surprisingly for a four-year starter, Locker doesn't read defenses as well as scouts would like, , too often putting the ball up for grabs.

For all of his faults, however, Locker has made some of his most impressive throws in critical situations, coming through with clutch passes in upsets over USC, Cal, and most recently against Nebraska in the Holiday Bowl. Throws like those have forced scouts to wonder how successful he might be if surrounded by more talent. Of course, Locker's most impressive physical attributes are his speed and power as a runner. Besides his rare running ability, Locker's toughness and leadership are the kind NFL decision-makers fall in love with during interviews. He reminds me of Donovan McNabb." Oh Great! haha

im kinda irritated that the cowboys will most likely land peterson or amukamara. i would like to have either of those two, i see them manhandling our wr's for a while.

fortunately for the skins though, we have needs nearly everywhere, and their seems to be some good top end talent at various positions this year. i hope we dont trade up for a qb, you just know that one or two of them (b/t newton, mallet, gabbert, locker) will slip to the second. lets just see what value falls to us.

Presuming that Newton is a first round pick, when do people think he would fully "get" the NFL game. These athletic spread option QBs are always works in progress. His Shanny really going to spend a #10 pick on a QB who may be ready in two or three years? Does Shanny think he will be here when he is 64?

It's been really difficult to get a handle on what Shanahan's plan is. In some ways, he is obviously building for 3 or 4 years down the road.

On the other hand, he is almost 60 and traded for McNabb.

I can't figure out his motivation, which makes predicting the draft harder to do.

We already had one attempt at converting a spread offense QB to the NFL - he never made it past 3rd string QB. The last thing the Skins need is a mobile QB with a big arm. We had that with Jason Campbell and he didn't fit with the WCO. Shanahan has his own variation of the WCO but it still requires an accurate QB that can read defenses and who is capable of going through his progressions. There should be no panicking when the first receiver is covered, i.e.,running or improvising at will.

If the college QB can't read defenses and make the variety of throws required then Skins should pass and fill other needs.

Great, that would have really helped us. It was so important for us to win that game.

Not that I don't get your point, McD5, but I just sit in the other camp...agree to disagree if you will. I just think that every game we win brings more confidence & that provides more to the team than the impact of one player drafted @ 10 vs one drafted @ 6. Just my opinion & NEVER a fan of tanking...losing breeds culture in the same manner as winning.

That's because one doesn't exist.

Hail

So as part of evaluating the younger guys on the roster your pre game speech as they walked out to show why they should be part of the Redskins future and even if they are not to put their best work on film for other teams would have been 'play to lose but make it look good for the cameras" ?

I would have run through walls to play for you. Not.

So as part of evaluating the younger guys on the roster your pre game speech as they walked out to show why they should be part of the Redskins future and even if they are not to put their best work on film for other teams would have been 'play to lose but make it look good for the cameras" ?

I would have run through walls to play for you. Not.

Martin, what would have benefited the team more in the present, and in the future?

A win over Jacksonville, that no one will remember a month from now? Or the opportunity to have picked 5th in this draft? If you aren't totally sure right now, you will be positive once the draft draws nearer.

Once eliminated, the key is to play as many young guys as possible, and to try to avoid winning a meanngless game, and hurting the future of your team. Play all the kids, and if the score is close at the end of the 3rd quarter, put Beck in.

To possibly cost yourself a franchise QB, or a top WR or lineman to beat Jacksonville with nothing on the line? That's the kind of thing that can kill a team for years ahead..

Edit: And put yourself in the position of the St. Louis Rams. Do you think they're happy that they didn't win an extra game or two last season? Should they have won a few more? Now they have Sam Bradford.

Martin, what would have benefited the team more in the present, and in the future?

A win over Jacksonville, that no one will remember a month from now? Or the opportunity to have picked 5th in this draft? If you aren't totally sure right now, you will be positive once the draft draws nearer.

Once eliminated, the key is to play as many young guys as possible, and to try to avoid winning a meanngless game, and hurting the future of your team. Play all the kids, and if the score is close at the end of the 3rd quarter, put Beck in.

To possibly cost yourself a franchise QB, or a top WR or lineman to beat Jacksonville with nothing on the line? That's the kind of thing that can kill a team for years ahead..

Looked at from a fans point of view and even maybe from a GMs what you say make total sense. From the perspective of a coach and player and within the dynamics of the locker room it makes no sense. As a coach from OTAs you have been preaching about sacrifice for the team, focusing on performing and creating a culture were people expect to win and will not accept anything less.

Then at the end of the year you are giving some younger guys opportunities and you have a new QB you are evaluating to see if he can play a role next year. I ask again how exactly you would communicate to the team you are trying to mold into a winning group and thenyoung guys playing for their futures that while you want them to go out and show you what they can do, you would also not be too upset if they lost?

Yesterday I heard two draft people (one for espn.com, I forget who the other one was with) they both said cam newton is the #2 qb behind luck and that mallert and the missouri kid are not shanny type qb's. They say shanny wants mobile athletic qb and they both predicted that newton would be the pick.

Mel Kiper said today that last year he heard that shanny was interested in Locker if he had come out. Take it for what it's worth but it looks like the early word is cam newton would be the pick as of right now. But we all know how much things change before the draft.

Yesterday I heard two draft people (one for espn.com, I forget who the other one was with) they both said cam newton is the #2 qb behind luck and that mallert and the missouri kid are not shanny type qb's. They say shanny wants mobile athletic qb and they both predicted that newton would be the pick.

Mel Kiper said today that last year he heard that shanny was interested in Locker if he had come out. Take it for what it's worth but it looks like the early word is cam newton would be the pick as of right now. But we all know how much things change before the draft.

I wouldn't read to much into what Kiper heard about Shanahan, because Shanahan has always been good at keeping people guessing at who he is going to pick. Due to either the "what the ****" picks he makes, or like Cutler, the black ops approach where not even the guy he drafted expects it. He kept everyone gusessing last year when we finally picked Trent.

It could have been a ploy to help him get Bradford.

I wouldn't be upset if we got Newton or Locker. It still makes me laugh when I read someone say "he's not an NFL caliber QB". Unless you coached in the NFL or were employed by an NFL team in the player personel department how in the hell can anyone make that statement? Oh yeah I forgot its the internet....

Kiper's new BIG Board.....

A new QB on the Big Board

A draft declaration has helped shift the order of QB prospects in the draft class

* Email

* Print

* Comments5

Kiper By Mel Kiper

ESPN.com

Archive

Timing can be everything. It certainly plays into the rankings this week. With draft declarations for juniors and draft-eligible sophomores set to be confirmed, those of us ranking the players will have to shift our lists accordingly. For one quarterback who declared this week, it certainly played into the considerations.

Missouri's Blaine Gabbert jumps onto the list this week as a guy who declared with an eye to the unsettled situation in the QB draft market. After junior Andrew Luck, there is no true consensus as to who will emerge as the No. 2 QB in the draft. And if Luck opts to stay at Stanford, we're obviously left with a fluid situation. One other player who jumps back on the board is Cameron Heyward, coming off a dominant Sugar Bowl. For the rest of the moves, see below. As always, juniors and draft-eligible sophomores are noted with an asterisk.

Big Board Bar

Andrew Luck *

QB

6-4

Analysis: The Orange Bowl certainly qualified as an "Any questions?" moment for the No. 1 pick (if he enters the draft). Last week: No. 1

Da'Quan Bowers *

DE

6-4

Analysis: A possible No. 1 pick if Luck opts to stay in school, Bowers has followed through on his talent. A former top-rated overall recruit. Last week: No. 2

Nick Fairley *

DT

6-5

Analysis: Fairley simply dominated, and has one more showcase game for scouts. He often was a force even while not 100 percent. A Top-10 lock currently. Last week: No. 3

A.J. Green *

WR

6-4

Analysis: Not sure people realize what kind of route-runner he's become, Green has worked hard to become a complete WR. Last week: No. 4

Patrick Peterson *

CB

6-1

Analysis: An extraordinary athlete, Peterson doesn't just have safety size -- he'd measure up to a lot of RBs. Great total package -- cornerback and return game. Last week: No. 5

Prince Amukamara

CB

6-1

Analysis: Top marks for instincts, ball awareness and ball skills. It's like he's running the route sometimes. Immediate starter. Last week: No. 6

Marcell Dareus *

DE

6-3

Analysis: A solid penetrator, pass-rush skills trump run-stopping performance thus far. Best suited at 4-3 DT, needs to show consistent effort to scouts. Last week: No. 7

Robert Quinn *

DE

6-4

Analysis: Great natural pass-rusher, solid athlete, serious motor. Still raw with time off, but scouts love his natural ability. Last week: No. 8

Blaine Gabbert *

QB

6-5

Analysis: Strong arm, good mobility, prototype in terms of physical skills. Ranked all year in my top QBs. Jumps with draft declaration, improved stock. Last week: NR

Von Miller

LB

6-3

Analysis: Miller proved that he's more than a sack artist this season. He showed coverage skills to go along with known pass-rush production. Edge burner. Last week: No. 9

Ryan Kerrigan

DE

6-4

Analysis: Led nation with 26 tackles for loss and became impossible to block, even against double-teams. Ideal as a 3-4 OLB but possible at DE in a 3-4. Last week: No. 14

Akeem Ayers *

OLB

6-4

Analysis: Exceptional athleticism makes him versatile. Ideal every-down 3-4 OLB who can rush the passer and cover. Top coverage skills of any OLB so far. Last week: No. 16

Cam Newton *

QB

6-6

Analysis: He has size and athleticism, but also underrated accuracy. Extends plays; good patience. Lacks experience and any time in pro-style scheme. Last week: No. 12

Julio Jones *

WR

6-4

Analysis: When healthy, Jones was impossible to stop; when not, he was still good in 2010. Overcame drop issues, improved route-running. Last week: No. 13

Justin Blackmon *

WR

6-1

Analysis: Underrated size, good instincts, size and speed combo with ability to set up defensive backs. Highly productive, and not just a possession guy. Last week: No. 15

Adrian Clayborn

DE

6-3

Analysis: Good size, capable of lining up as 3-4 DE. Good motor; batters offensive linemen. Needs to refine rush skills. Last week: No. 19

Ryan Mallett *

QB

6-7

Analysis: Mallett became far more than a big arm this season, but footwork and checkdown skills concern. Still a volatile stock. Last week: No. 11

Drake Nevis

DT

6-1

Analysis: Lacks top-end size, but he's an explosive, up-the-field tackle with good pad level and leverage. Ideal three-technique, he plays with passion. Last week: No. 10

Nate Solder

OT

6-9

Analysis: A physical specimen, has great length, ability to add bulk to chiseled frame. Will shine in workout phase, and draft is short on elite offensive tackles. Last week: No. 17

Anthony Castonzo

OT

6-7

Analysis: Smart, reliable with solid footwork, but could add lower-body strength and overall bulk to improve leverage. Consistent worker; smart player. Last week: No. 18

Cameron Heyward

DE

6-5

Analysis: On the Big Board most of the season, back on with dominating Sugar Bowl performance. Versatile, but ideal size to work as 3-4 DE. Last week: NR

Gabe Carimi

OT

6-7

Analysis: Had a fantastic fall, battling a number of likely high draft picks to standstills. Beaten by a speed rush in the past, his footwork improved greatly. Last week: No. 21

Janoris Jenkins *

CB

5-11

Analysis: New to the board last week -- he's had an up-and-down season, but the physical skills are there; he also comes from a good system. Last week: No. 24

Mark Ingram *

RB

5-10

Analysis: Production dipped from last season, but Ingram was still explosive and physical after being dinged early. Solid finisher; top-end speed is in question. Last week: No. 22

Jake Locker

QB

6-3

Analysis: Off-the-charts skill set and intangibles; solid character. Accuracy and work against top opposition suffered. Wild card. Last week: No. 23

after the combine, he'll be lucky to be in the first round, book it

so what do you mean? Bad mechanics will be exposed in the combine or something?

That Cam Newton thread had things about how he will have a legendary combine, and at least his charisma/camera/interview skills will go a long way.

---------- Post added January-5th-2011 at 09:13 PM ----------

It makes me furious. And all of the morons that were posting that trash on here "Always pull for them to win", of course disappear now.

"But it builds momentum!!!":jerk:

No I'm right here. Hi ;)

I didn't say anything about momentum, my problem was the amount of people openly ROOTING for a loss. IMO, If you're going to be 'ok' with a loss, then just keep it to yourself. It seems dumb to say such a thing on a Redskins message board. Even weeks later, it's still being talked about. Why can't the chips just fall, and we'll take on the draft as the team we are, with fair draft position.

Archived