Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andrew Perloff>INSIDE THE NFL MOCK Draft.....what do you think???

sknz45

Well that ain't going to happen -- i generally work on Saturdays, and we've got twin baby girls at home, so if I want to

Has any college quarterback -- ever -- started so few games, got drafted in the first round, and went on to have success in the NFL?

Hell, look at Matt Cassel. Never even started a single game.

ETA: edited because I'm dumb.

Two come to mind right away. Tom Brady. I think he's 4 and 4 as a starter. Hell, look at Matt Cassel. Never even started a single game.

Tom Brady was a two year starter at Michigan with a 20-5 career record in College.He threw over 700 passes in College.

anyone else come to mind?

Two come to mind right away. Tom Brady. I think he's 4 and 4 as a starter. Hell, look at Matt Cassel. Never even started a single game.

Matt Cassel occured to me as well, that's why my question was about guys taken in the first round. Being a top ten pick brings a massive contract and expectations Cassel never had to deal with.

I'd be ok with Cam.

Rather have Locker or Gabbert personally, but the more I think about it the more I think Cam is a dynamic prospect who could turn the fortunes of an organization.

Think about it. Compare him to other prospects. Listen to him speak and watch how he plays. The kid is fluid and speaks well. His skills compare to Vince Young but his attitude and humility compare to Peyton Manning.

I'd welcome him aboard.

Matt Cassel occured to me as well, that's why my question was about guys taken in the first round. Being a top ten pick brings a massive contract and expectations Cassel never had to deal with.

Mark Sanchez is pretty close. He only started one season as USC. I think he got a start or three his sophomore year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=174154

Mark Sanchez is pretty close. He only started one season as USC. I think he got a start or three his sophomore year...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=174154

You're 100% right, I forgot about him.

He started one year. It was a pro-style offense that produced a lot of nfl qbs, but still only one year. That's why I was cursing Vinny's name as all the rumors came out about us trading away picks to move up and nab sanchez. Didn't want him.

Yes. He's just like Jason Campbell. Spot on comparison.

How the **** is he like Jason Campbell...? Besides for the obvious that he's black and went to Auburn. JC is a pocket passer with some mobility. Cam was the focal part of his offense with his arm and his legs. He is a much better pro prospect.

How the **** is he like Jason Campbell...? Besides for the obvious that he's black and went to Auburn. JC is a pocket passer with some mobility. Cam was the focal part of his offense with his arm and his legs. He is a much better pro prospect.

I think he was going by the fact that he was a first round QB, very talented, went to Auburn, and was drafted by the Redskins... and was mediocre in the nfl - not my words, just interpreting

Gabbert is more of a shanny QB and fits perfectly in to our scheme

I agree. If Newton or Locker are holding up a Redskins jersey, you may have to put me on suicide watch. Seriously. ME NO WANT Newton, Locker of Mallet for that matter. If not Gabbbert, go in a different direction.

It's called sarcasm.

There are a few things that worry me about Newton.

He's so physically talented, that I'm afraid he'd go the Vick/Young route and rely on those talents to get by rather than spending a lot of time in the film room studying. His academic past only reinforces the notion that he's not into studying. If he has success early on in the NFL without a lot of prep it could be near impossible to break him of that mindset.

Also, because of his ability to run, I'm afraid he'd take a lot of hits and spend time hurt during the season. If we go to an 18 game season, I honestly doubt we'd ever see him make it through injury free.

To a lesser degree it makes me nervous that he's only started one full year. You see that Sanchez still struggles a lot and he has a great supporting cast there. A lot more than we would have for Cam to walk into. While Sanchez makes some plays every now and then, for the most part he's just along for the ride.

In the NFL, running QB's don't really have a great track record. Vick probably has had the most success, but even now, as the season wears on you see that he's being criticized for not going thru his progressions and taking off even when he has guys open. Also, he still takes a lot of hits.

What I like about him

He has his best performance when all eyes were on him against Alabama. That was the toughest team he faced all year and he did it after all the controversy and you know everybody payed attention to him because of that. You love a guy that shows up against good teams on big stages.

He has the potential to be spectacular in Shanahan's offense if he does put in the time and learns to be disciplined in his execution. His mobility could make him the most dangerous man on the field on any given Sunday. The threat of him running puts added pressure on defenses.

If he learns how to be a passer first and a runner as a secondary weapon, his ceiling is pretty freaking high.

He's a pretty big gamble in the first round, but the dividends could be really high. I'd grill the guy mercilessly during the interviews at the combine. I would really try to see where he's at mentally.

I've seen him play. His accuracy is abysmal. I stand by my assertion that drafting him would be a colossal mistake.

I've seen him play as well - his accuracy throwing from the pocket is very good IMO. He can make all the throws including the deep outs and dig routes which beat the cover 2 concepts you see a lot of in todays NFL. He does not just throw check downs and bubble screens as some have posted. His downfield throwing was limited in 2010 by the total absence of any outside threat on the Mizzou offense - go and watch some footage from 2009 though when he DID have some deep threats.

When he throws on the run I would agree his accuracy falls off and thats something he will need to work on along with his footwork operating from under centre when he gets to the NFL given his lack of experience. His footwork and mechanics when he throws though are excellent and he has the quickest release I have seen in a long time.

I would LOVE to see us draft him but I do think he needs to spend at least a year on the bench learning the offense and improving some of the things other posters have spoken about as flaws in his game. He has everything you need to be a very good NFL QB if he lands in the right situation, the right coach and the right system - and I think The Redskins at this stage of a rebuild, Mike Shanahan and our offense are all great fits for what Gabbert can do.

It's extremely easy to tell who doesn't follow college football much (Not that that's a crime. I can't fault anyone for not following collegiate level football) based on some of the things said in this thread. Comparing Newton to Jason Campbell isn't even in the realm of a good comparison.

Newton throws the ball much better. He's also more athletic. And he's bigger. The offense is centered around him and not his two stud runningbacks (Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams). Newton's mechanics are better than Campbell's were and he's got a strong arm, this is one of the only similarities I seen between Campbell and Cam.

---------- Post added January-7th-2011 at 07:40 AM ----------

He's a pretty big gamble in the first round, but the dividends could be really high. I'd grill the guy mercilessly during the interviews at the combine. I would really try to see where he's at mentally.

This is the crux of it. And Shanahan would be off his rocker to not at least use due diligence and look into him.

If he can be taught the offense and is able to learn how to make full read progressions, he could be an absolute stud and the best quarterback in this draft. If he can't, he could be a total bust and one of the lower end quarterbacks in the draft. High peak, low valley.

This is pure speculation and based on the assumption that the needs of these teams are correct plus does the player fit into that system. As anyone has seen in the past drafts that it hasn't exactly gone the way the pre-drafts have predicted. Back when we drafted Kelly, Thomas and Davis in the second round we were originally slated by the Mock Draft's as picking up one of two DE's. So saying that any of this is true or even close to being accurate is just a joke. If Shanahan and Allen covet anyone they may get over ruled by Snyder. There are too many variables and Cam Newton is just a one year wonder at this point.

Cam Newton is just a one year wonder at this point.

This is actually incorrect. Cam Newton won a junior college national championship at Blinn College last year. People will scoff at JUCO, but let's keep in mind that JUCO is a place where very good players go in order to get their grades up to head to a D1 school. There is a TON of talent at the JUCO level. Winning a national title there isn't a joke by any means.

Back when we drafted Kelly, Thomas and Davis in the second round we were originally slated by the Mock Draft's as picking up one of two DE's. So saying that any of this is true or even close to being accurate is just a joke.

Yeah back then the mock drafts made the incorrect assumption we would do something logical based on the needs we had the time.

It's sooooo early (even though I could read mock drafts all day). My gut tells me that once the dust settles on 2010, the scouting process begins, and the combine rolls around, that Jake Locker will be shooting back up draft boards to where he was projected last year. That is, top 10.

This is actually incorrect. Cam Newton won a junior college national championship at Blinn College last year. People will scoff at JUCO, but let's keep in mind that JUCO is a place where very good players go in order to get their grades up to head to a D1 school. There is a TON of talent at the JUCO level. Winning a national title there isn't a joke by any means.

But you have to admit his inexperience in general is a worry. Even this year he had as many rushing attempts as passing attempts.

Archived