Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Andrew Perloff>INSIDE THE NFL MOCK Draft.....what do you think???

sknz45

There you go again. Are we talking about the combine or not?

"Newton’s problems, mainly a host of footwork issues and mechanical concerns in the pocket. He has a bad tendency of staring down one side of the field before he tucks it and runs, and the offensive philosophies of Florida, Blinn College, and Auburn all limit coverage reads in the passing game. He is fairly accurate out of the pocket, but he consistently shows bad balance and telegraphs too many of his intended passes."

Does that work for ya..... Id take him in the later rounds, as an H-back.

I want someone who's compared to Peyton and Tom, Not Vince and Tim

(I don't think Newton will be on the board)

But, IF Newton and Locker are on the board when the Redskins pick.

They should trade down.

But, if the do pick i QB my guess would be Locker not Newton.

Although i like Newton as a prospect i don't think the Shanahan's would rate Newton above Locker.

:secret: dg, I have a cunning plan. You throw your weight behind Cam, I'll stick with Jake. That way we might get away with nobody noticing we've actually agreed on **** lately.

You know it makes sense. ;).

Hail.

I still don't understand why posters feel the need to compare him to Campbell because of the school. Cam beat every competitive college team on that schedule by himself. That alone is very impressive. This guy could be better than Vick.

So he went to Auburn, Campbell went to Auburn?

Hes black, Campbell is black?

Hes a black QB that went to Auburn, Campbell was a black QB that went to Auburn? (genius extremeskins)

So that is our logic now?

I think people are saying that they dont want the bad luck of a 1st rounder from Auburn again (it doesnt sit well in some peoples stomachs that our last first rounder QB from Auburn was Campbell, and he blew ass).... if indeed it is bad luck.....i think

"Newton’s problems, mainly a host of footwork issues and mechanical concerns in the pocket. He has a bad tendency of staring down one side of the field before he tucks it and runs, and the offensive philosophies of Florida, Blinn College, and Auburn all limit coverage reads in the passing game. He is fairly accurate out of the pocket, but he consistently shows bad balance and telegraphs too many of his intended passes."

Does that work for ya..... Id take him in the later rounds, as an H-back.

I want someone who's compared to Peyton and Tom, Not Vince and Tim

It doesn't have to work for me. But it also doesn't work for your argument that his stock is going to fall after the combine.

It doesn't have to work for me. But it also doesn't work for your argument that his stock is going to fall after the combine.

well its just my opinion for now, ya know, since the combine hasn't happened yet... Its my word against yours. You take Newton, Ill take Gabbert, Luck..

Cams draft stock is going to plummit as soon as the combine comes around.... Gabbert is the better pick here

I don't know, from an skill-set and athletic perspective Cam Newton is a better pro prospect than Tim Tebow. A player's stock plummets after the combine when they perform poorly--you really think Cam isn't going to blow people away with his athleticism?

Tebow impressed the hell out of teams on the chalkboard with his incredible football smarts during interviews; if Newton can do decently in those same type of interviews then he should definitely go in the first round, and probably fairly high. If not, then who knows...

I want Andrew. However, I realize that if Carolina's new coach has a brain and Luck decides he is going pro that isn't going to happen. Therefore, I will turn my attention to option 1B (Cam Newton).

Locker looked really bad this past season. Meanwhile I watch some kid name Cam (literally by himself) beat the helll out of every legit collegiate threat he faced off against. If coach Shanahan is impressed by that and wants to draft him at 10 I'm all for it.

Cam would give opposing defenses hell.

well its just my opinion for now, ya know, since the combine hasn't happened yet... Its my word against yours. You take Newton, Ill take Gabbert, Luck..

Not really. You're are saying that Newton isn't a polished QB prospect...something no one has argued. What I take issue with is that Newton won't excel at the combine. I can say this is more than just my opinion.

I want Andrew. However, I realize that if Carolina's new coach has a brain and Luck decides he is going pro that isn't going to happen. Therefore, I will turn my attention to option 1B (Cam Newton).

Locker looked really bad this past season. Meanwhile I watch some kid name Cam (literally by himself) beat the helll out of every legit collegiate threat he faced off against. If coach Shanahan is impressed by that and wants to draft him at 10 I'm all for it.

Cam would give opposing defenses hell.

Have you watched Blaine Gabbert at all Fever?

I don't know, from an skill-set and athletic perspective Cam Newton is a better pro prospect than Tim Tebow. A player's stock plummets after the combine when they perform poorly--you really think Cam isn't going to blow people away with his athleticism?

Tebow impressed the hell out of teams on the chalkboard with his incredible football smarts during interviews; if Newton can do decently in those same type of interviews then he should definitely go in the first round, and probably fairly high. If not, then who knows...

thats my main concern, is his character issues.... "The grumblings surrounding his recruitment, along with his felony arrest and consequential court approved deal to dismiss the charges and enter a diversion program, will cast a giant cloud over his head for some teams in the league." No Thanks.... no more trouble

Well like it or not Soup they are both going to be top 10 picks because someone will gamble on Mallett in a vertical offense and while you dont like Gabbert he's a damn good QB prospect

You know both won't go top 10, they could trade out and still get one of them. I'm betting on the combine and/or their pro-days to fix the whole QB order. Before the bowls most people had the Qb order like this.

Luck

. ...Big Gap

Cam/Locker

Blaine, Mallett

Devlin

The Hype machine always puts everything out of wack. I'm telling you DnS, If Cam beats the ducks, I might actually hear people say he's better than luck.

Not really. You're are saying that Newton isn't a polished QB prospect...something no one has argued. What I take issue with is that Newton won't excel at the combine. I can say this is more than just my opinion.

We will see.... I don't understand what makes him a great NFL prospect. Let's be frank here, the offenses being run in college football take advantage of discrepancies in athleticism, period. Along with spread offenses, dual threat QBs nearly always have a check down or simple read to make. That's why incredibly athletic QBs are so successful, because they touch the ball on every play and can take advantages of mismatches where they appear.

But that's not reality in the NFL. Everyone is physically talented and he's going to have to depend on a high football IQ, work ethic and preparation to turn any physical talent into something resembling a successful NFL QB.

No thanks to Newton, seriously. He's already come off as entitled and arrogant after the whole pay-for-play incident and his interaction with the media. The guy already seems like he's untouchable, just another case of "inVINCEability' that's going to lead to a troubled NFL road in my opinion.

Have you watched Blaine Gabbert at all Fever?

Please explain to me how the hype train for this guy got moving so fast lately. I admit, I've never watched him play. From what I hear, he's big, fast and has a great arm. His numbers are average at best though. It's interesting to me that Locker stock dropped like a rock for putting up very similar stats.

Given the state of the re-build sill at hand, and the serious lack of either ammo we currently posses, or players of any talent we could trade to garner more; I've yet to hear a compelling argument for winning any of the games once the season was dead.

Hail.

That's because one doesn't exist.

Hail

Cams draft stock is going to plummit as soon as the combine comes around.... Gabbert is the better pick here

You have this exactly backwards. The combine is all about measurable qualities and athletic ability. Cam Newton will knock the socks off of the scouts at the combine. He's big (6-6 250lbs), fast (40 time between 4.5 and 4.7 according to google), and has a strong arm.

The question will be do the scouts like what they see on film. The spread offense hit is weaker this year than last because Sam Bradford also ran a spread offense and look how he turned out.

Can someone please explain to me the mancrush some on this board have on Jake Locker? I'm guessing since he plays in Wash., most haven't even seen him play.

I hope ShanAllen don't have the same crush. Drafting him would be a colossal mistake. He has pro failure written all over him.

Heck, Tyrod Taylor had better stats this year and he MAY be worthy of a 7th round pick at best.

Can someone please explain to me the mancrush some on this board have on Jake Locker? I'm guessing since he plays in Wash., most haven't even seen him play.

I hope ShanAllen don't have the same crush. Drafting him would be a colossal mistake. He has pro failure written all over him.

Heck, Tyrod Taylor had better stats this year and he MAY be worthy of a 7th round pick at best.

Massive potential that if you've not seen him play, and just look at the numbers, you won't get.

Hail.

We will see.... I don't understand what makes him a great NFL prospect. Let's be frank here, the offenses being run in college football take advantage of discrepancies in athleticism, period. Along with spread offenses, dual threat QBs nearly always have a check down or simple read to make. That's why incredibly athletic QBs are so successful, because they touch the ball on every play and can take advantages of mismatches where they appear.

But that's not reality in the NFL. Everyone is physically talented and he's going to have to depend on a high football IQ, work ethic and preparation to turn any physical talent into something resembling a successful NFL QB.

No thanks to Newton, seriously. He's already come off as entitled and arrogant after the whole pay-for-play incident and his interaction with the media. The guy already seems like he's untouchable, just another case of "inVINCEability' that's going to lead to a troubled NFL road in my opinion.

You seriously can't see what makes him a great NFL prospect? What made Vick a great prospect? He's got a canon for an arm, he's huge and he's a winner. Have you watched Auburn this year? He's a man amongst boys. Does he play in the spread offense? Sure. So did Bradford. So did Gabbert. The spread offense is pretty common at major colleges these days and a prospect playing in a prostyle offense doesn't make them any more of a sure thing. You bring up the play for pay scandal but no one really knows all the facts. It's also naive to think many of top players in the NFL didn't get a little on the side in college. That's just not something that going make a guy a bust.

I would bet most the hype is centered around him being the #1 QB prospect in 2009. I'm sure you're right that most haven't seen him play more than a handful of games. I mean...why would you? He played on a horrifically bad team on the left coast.

Please explain to me how the hype train for this guy got moving so fast lately. I admit, I've never watched him play. From what I hear, he's big, fast and has a great arm. His numbers are average at best though. It's interesting to me that Locker stock dropped like a rock for putting up very similar stats.

Well it really all started when he put up one ridiculous bowl game except for one bad mistake he made. It also has a lot to do with the hype train occurring because no one thought he would declare and instead go in the 2012 class as the #1 QB

I'll give it a crack. Todd McShay listed Locker as the number one player overall last year. Mock drafts are a big group think session and many people moved up Locker accordingly. Locker stayed in college and had a poor year, so now people think we can get "value" by getting the guy that "would" have gone first last year.

Not so fast, my friends.

McShay is not the end-all, be-all of scouting. It reminds me of when McShay had Javan Snead as a high first round pick and that helped convince Snead to come out early and get drafted in the 7th or not at all...

Anyways, it's just ESPN's voice being recited by many. Unless Locker shows up in a huge way in shorts he's not going in the top 10.

Agreed. I live in PAC 10 country and have seen him play. Dude is all hype. Yeah, he's a great athlete. He also can't hit what he's aiming at. Accuracy is kinda important in the NFL.

He's a mid-round guy to me. A project.

Also, being ranked the number one QB by some scout like McShay is meaningless. No one knows how high he would have gone once coaches really looked at him. Hell, Colt Brennan was talked about as a top five pick by some of these so-called experts.

Archived