Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Forget about Luck! Carolina will not pass him up if available...

donpappagiorgio

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254

Sorry Skins fans, but it looks like we've got to switch to plan B b/c Luck isn't getting passed Carolina.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday.

A redshirt sophomore, Luck finished his season in Monday night's Discover Orange Bowl and has until Jan. 15 to declare if he will enter the draft. Although there have been reports indicating Luck may choose to stay in college, the Panthers remain optimistic he will turn pro.

Luck is viewed as the top prospect in the country by most draft analysts and the Panthers don't disagree with that assessment. The team officials said they wouldn't even consider trading down in the draft if Luck is available.

There has been some speculation that Luck and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh could be a package deal. But in a press conference Tuesday to discuss the coaching search, Carolina owner Jerry Richardson said the team has not had any contact with Harbaugh. The team officials said they don't expect that to change.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft2011/news/story?id=5988254

Sorry Skins fans, but it looks like we've got to switch to plan B b/c Luck isn't getting passed Carolina.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- If Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck decides to enter the 2011 draft, the Carolina Panthers will take him, two high-ranking team officials said Tuesday.

A redshirt sophomore, Luck finished his season in Monday night's Discover Orange Bowl and has until Jan. 15 to declare if he will enter the draft. Although there have been reports indicating Luck may choose to stay in college, the Panthers remain optimistic he will turn pro.

Luck is viewed as the top prospect in the country by most draft analysts and the Panthers don't disagree with that assessment. The team officials said they wouldn't even consider trading down in the draft if Luck is available.

There has been some speculation that Luck and Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh could be a package deal. But in a press conference Tuesday to discuss the coaching search, Carolina owner Jerry Richardson said the team has not had any contact with Harbaugh. The team officials said they don't expect that to change.

Its way to early for them to commit on the first pick...They will listen to offers I guarante it if I remember correctly they dont have a second round pick. At the end of the day I think they will pick Luck but its way to early for them to commit now so this article is pretty dumb.

They have to say this in order to keep that #1 pick as valuable as possible. Thought of course they would say this as Luck is 10x better than any of their QBs.

Way too many variables between now and April for them to have "fully" decided.

That's normally the company line with situations like these, " We're open to any and all possibilities at this point, we are willing to listen to any and all offers from other teams."

IMO, there is no way that he is getting past Carolina.

I thought, last draft, that this draft was supposed to be the best QB group for years, but after looking at the QBs this season, the only one who looks really good is Luck.

I don't understand the sudden hype with Gabbert (16 TDs? and he's not even a runner), Mallet looks good this season with a 66% completion percentage (but last season's was really not good with 55%), Newton looks like a typical Heisman winner (unstoppable in college, questionable in the NFL), and Locker has played like garbage this year.

How does this all add up to a huge QB year? I hope I'm wrong, because it certainly seems that we're going that direction this year, but that group doesn't look any better than last years, unless Newton can play like Dante Culpepper, then you've got 3 guys that look like quality starters.

Besides, I think there are 3 teams that will take QBs before us (at least). Unless we're willing to trade a lot, we're not going to get the guy we want, IMO. And we don't have enough to make Carolina want to give up #1, they're getting Luck.

They have to say this in order to keep that #1 pick as valuable as possible. Thought of course they would say this as Luck is 10x better than any of their QBs.

Way too many variables between now and April for them to have "fully" decided.

Exactly. It's normal NFL posturing. Every team in the NFL will trade any player or draft pick for the right price. Even the Pats with Brady and the Colts with Manning. The question will be if someone is willing to pay that price.

Kellen Moore is definitely my sleeper pick for the Skins. I wouldn't be to upset if we traded down and drafted Moore.

As a backup? Because that's all he'll ever be. At most, he's a serviceable QB in a few years time. He has a weak arm,and is short and brittle. That would severely hamper any offense that he'd play in at the next level, when you have defenses that aren't worried about you going over the top, and also his height would become an issue when you have to find passing lanes to throw in, and when you have tall lineman batting your passes down

Kellen Moore is definitely my sleeper pick for the Skins. I wouldn't be to upset if we traded down and drafted Moore.

And he has been accurate his entire college career, but blew people away this season with a huge 71% completion percentage, 3500+ yards, 35 TDs and only 6 INTs. He also had his best games against their toughest competition, 3 TDs vs Virginia Tech, 3 against Oregon State, 2 against Nevada, and 2 in their bowl game against Utah where he was also at his best (73% completion percentage 339 yards), and 1 INT against that group of teams (Utah in the Bowl game). He consistently played like that in every game. I'd be very happy with him at QB.

Archived