Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the minimum requirement for you to be happy with this Franchise?

Annonymous Source

I'd like to see progress. Ever since I can remember we've just been failing. 2005 is really the only exception, and even then we had the worst offensive production in a playoff game victory in NFL history. If we could just get going in the right direction, I really believe we could make a run at a Super Bowl. I want to witness a championship, and soon.

Okay, again this explains a lot about debates I have seen on this site. Great post, and thanks.

Twenty-three.

I want this franchise to be consistent playoff contenders. Consistent is the key word here. I barely remember 1991 and I'm getting tired of trying to.

Edit: And I'd like to see RFK torn down, and a similar looking but modern stadium built in it's place that can hold 25-30k more so we can be the Washington Redskins again, not the Landover Redskins.

19:

From the players: I just want to see basic competency and complete effort. I don't care if they're the most talented bunch in the world, as long as they know how to play their positions and they're hell bent on winning. That's all I ask for from the players

From the coaches: I want to see coaches that know how to play to the strengths of their players. Once again, I don't expect them to make them all superstars, but as long as they know how to get the best out of them. I also want coaches that aren't afraid to take risks (going for it on fourth and short, etc.) but can also call a smart game. Superb time management skills are also a must

From the front office: This is where we've had the most trouble. All I ask from the FO is, once again, competency. I want to see that they have a long term plan for making this team into a winner. I want to know that we have scouts who can find players that fit into our system the best and give us the best chance at winning football games (that doesn't always mean *the best* players out there). I want to see a GM that can wheel and deal for draft picks or beneficial free agents and that will make WISE decisions. From the owner, I want someone who will let his employees do their jobs. Overly meddlesome owners make for poor football teams. JKC was meddlesome, but he know that he had to let his football people make the football decisions.

From the fans: I expect us to be calm and patient through this rebuilding period. All of us have been through the hurt of two decades of poor football; but I expect us to behave like adults and to think rationally about our football team. I also, though, expect us to be realists and not to tolerate sloppy, low effort play from the guys on the field, poor coaching, or ill-conceived moves from the FO.

I don't think that's too much to ask for, and I fully expect all of these things.

I still think o-line is the biggest issue right now on offense.

I disagree. You can find Oline players somewhere even if it takes another season. However, franchise QB's are hard to find and the most valuable player.

Once you get a franchise QB everything else falls into place.

And, I am not saying the Oline is not a problem and has to be addressed. I am just saying that QB is the biggest need, right in front of Oline.

I disagree. You can find Oline players somewhere even if it takes another season. However, franchise QB's are hard to find and the most valuable player.

Once you get a franchise QB everything else falls into place.

And, I am not saying the Oline is not a problem and has to be addressed. I am just saying that QB is the biggest need, right in front of Oline.

Fair enough. I'm actually not sure if we'll do much to fix either in the draft this year though.

Be a contender to win 11-12 games. This is contingent upon knowing that every year, and I mean EVERY year, you know the DRAFT will bring in young talent that can be developed over the next 2 years to fill holes that will eventually happen due to attrition or retirement with free agency filling the gaps and not being the focus. I.E. the New England Patriots model/ the Redskins model under Bobby Bethard.

I'm 75. If this organization isn't making an effort to become the NFL's best, surpassing the Patriots success as an organization, then what's the point? I would have been happier with 0-16 this season if all the right moves were made toward becoming the NFL's best in the future.

I hate mediocrity. I can't picture myself at the stadium jumping up and down with both hands in the air shouting, "We're number ten! We're number ten!"

Same as everyone else with effort and direction, but if we were between 8 and 12 wins every year consistently, I'd be content. Obviously 8-8 isn't awesome, but its far from the 4-12 and 5-11 dismal seasons.... I just want to see a competitive team with something to play for in December every year. Throw in a playoff berth every other year with some home playoff games and I'll be happy.

I just want to see competent management, A well run team who makes smart decisions, isn't a media circus, a team made up of good chracter guys and is reponsible with draft picks and money.

Losing isn't what bothers me, it is the manner in which we lose, the fact that we continue to lose, the fact that it has been 12 years of losing without ever seemingly learning from our mistakes.

---------- Post added December-28th-2010 at 08:07 AM ----------

O and im 20, I was 9 months old when they won in 91, all this success before my time seems like myth to me

Same as everyone else with effort and direction, but if we were between 8 and 12 wins every year consistently, I'd be content. Obviously 8-8 isn't awesome, but its far from the 4-12 and 5-11 dismal seasons.... I just want to see a competitive team with something to play for in December every year. Throw in a playoff berth every other year with some home playoff games and I'll be happy.

Completely agree with this. A winning record, and an occasional playoff birth. I don't think that is too much to ask. Joe Gibbs did it his second time around. It really is to point where the embarrassment and humility of being a fan of this team is not worth it anymore because I'm tired of saying, "Maybe next year!..."

I'm 43. I'll start with a baseline for a minimum requirement: I want to get to a point where this team has four winning seasons (9-7 or better) in a row, with a minimum of a conference championship appearance during that stretch. That would be satisfying.

Obviously there is room for negotation with this. The Giants under Coughlin have been 6-10, 11-5 (div winner), 8-8, 10-6 (SB champ), 13-3 (div winner), 8-8, and this year will either be 9-7/10-6. I've considered Coughlin's tenure there to have been successful, and probably still would have even if they hadn't won the SB.

I would be happy if on Christmas Day every year we are still in the hunt even if we are the sixth seed.

I would also be happy if we win the division at least once every 4 years.

But most of all I would be happy if we can find a front office, coaching staff and QB that will bring stability and consistancy for a decade or more.

I am just so tired of the revolving door.

I'm 75. If this organization isn't making an effort to become the NFL's best, surpassing the Patriots success as an organization, then what's the point? I would have been happier with 0-16 this season if all the right moves were made toward becoming the NFL's best in the future.

I hate mediocrity. I can't picture myself at the stadium jumping up and down with both hands in the air shouting, "We're number ten! We're number ten!"

I see this a lot, and there is just something I want to throw out. In my opinion, in this league, there is no single truly elite orginization. There is a list of teams that compete every year in that top tier, and differentiating them from one another is very difficult. The Patriots, Steelers, Ravens, Colts, and Eagles are all franchises that have a long established culture of winning. Some newer arrivals are the Giants, and Saints. IMO all of those teams can lay claim to being the "best orginization". That sort of stability and long term success is the sort of thing that takes sometimes five seasons to build, or sometimes it is just a new coach and QB away. Regardless there is no single formula to follow to become the "Best Franchise" in the NFL.

I do understand where you are coming from though, and I really do want to see this franchise return to greatness. I just disagree with the idea of being able to rank orginizations like that.

---------- Post added December-28th-2010 at 12:35 PM ----------

I would be happy if on Christmas Day every year we are still in the hunt even if we are the sixth seed.

I would also be happy if we win the division at least once every 4 years.

But most of all I would be happy if we can find a front office, coaching staff and QB that will bring stability and consistancy for a decade or more.

I am just so tired of the revolving door.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. One of my greatest memories was when the skins squeaked into the playoffs in 2005. I remember they needed to win their last two games to get in, and that is what I asked for on christmas. It was an awesome feeling.

I lived through the first Redskins Superbowl appearance, and through the Joe Gibbs glory years. I want to see a team that consistently plays up to potential, continually restocks good players and makes good F.O. moves. We dont have to win a SB every year, but I would like to see consistant potential to be playing for something at the end of the regular season. A 10 year stretch that includes significantly more wins than losses and a SB win with a few division and conference titles would be good for me.

Archived