Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is the minimum requirement for you to be happy with this Franchise?

Annonymous Source

I guess maybe I'm odd. I care less about records than a sense of team which only comes from surpassing known levels of ability. I care about cheering for a team who consistantly gets the most out of the players, that puts them in the best position to win.

I think about the Skins of the 80's and early 90's. It's kind of a point of pride to go to 4 superbowls, win three, and all the wins with different QBs. I know some NFL fans knock the Skins because of strike shortened seasons being the majority of their superbowl wins, but honestly I love that our scabs beat the Cowboys when their players crossed the picket line. That's NFL lore...even if the movie made about it sucks. I think about those superbowl teams with so few hall of famers for so long. The reason they won was because they were so much better together than they ever were apart.

Moving to a more recent time, the season the Skins won after Taylor's death to so improbably go to the playoffs was a favorite. Why? For me it was because that team was one the whole comunity wanted to be a part of. That was a team playing through emotions so many of us fans felt. That team was one with whom we could relate if only for a short period.

If you ask me to be honest about what would make me happy with the franchise, all I can say is one with players whose stories are ones I want to brag about, one whose success I can feel was probably better than a position by position break out on paper would make you think possible. I want one where my kids will remember the little things like I do when I think of little Butz carrying that huge marked up helmet. I want a team of over achievers who always seem to be getting better whether that is within the game with adjustments or throughout the season.

I don't want to look back on seasons and say "If only..."

I want to be able to look back and say "Remember when..." and have the fan I'm talking to nod in agreement. If the conversation is with a Skins fan, I hope I see a reflection of the memory of joy I feel.

I don't mean to pick this one quote out, but I'd like to make a comment on these types of quotes. I don't get it. I understand having an opinion on how a team should be built, and that opinion could very well be the best approach. However, aren't we, as fans, more concerned with the "what" and not the "how" in this case? We want a good, contending team and a stable franchise, right? Does it really matter to you guys which model is used to attain that goal? So many people (again, not you personally HSW) seem so worried about it being done the way they think it should, that they almost seem like they'd be disappointed if it worked a different way.

Those who want to draft OL for two years and then add a QB in 2012 or so...would you really be less excited if we drafted Locker (just as an example) and went OL in the later rounds/FA? Would you really care if the offense continued to struggle but they somehow built a dominant D that carried them to the playoffs every year (like the Steelers, Ravens, and Jets until recently)?

I'm just making the point that we should leave the "how" to the professionals and discuss the "what" in this thread. On the other hand, not to derail this thread too much, but if you really do care so much about the "how" that you'd be less excited in a different strategy, I'd like to read about why that is.

Sorry for the tangent.

You are exactly right. This thread is meant to discuss the what.

It is still fun to discuss the how sometimes too though.

You are exactly right. This thread is meant to discuss the what.

It is still fun to discuss the how sometimes too though.

Absolutely it is...and I've certainly added my thoughts on that over the years on this message board. I just don't get it in this thread specifically. It almost comes across as some fans would turn their noses up at a 2000 Ravens run or something because we'd be winning it all with a journeyman QB. Not every team's formula is going to mirror past successful teams.

I'm starting to come around to Oldfan's ideas...I want this team to strive to be the best so that, year in and year out we can go into training camp truly believing we might be playing in a Super Bowl, not just hoping for 67 variables to fall into place so that we can maybe grab the 6 seed and make a passionate run.

I'm 34 years old and I want the skins to draft a franchise QB

Additionally I would like them to state that they have a system and will start placing players into the gaps to suit their needs.

I think this has already started to happen with Shananigans and that is encouraging.

Allen is a good start as well.

Finally, I'd like them to draft better (keeping their picks) and obtain linemen on both sides of the ball after they get the franchise QB.

...I'm starting to come around to Oldfan's ideas...I want this team to strive to be the best so that, year in and year out we can go into training camp truly believing we might be playing in a Super Bowl, not just hoping for 67 variables to fall into place so that we can maybe grab the 6 seed and make a passionate run.
As you can tell from this thread, you would be joining me in a minority view.

Didn't read through the whole thread, but I'm assuming from TD's remarks that you are in favor of building a contender year in and year out even if it takes some time. This is in opposition to the view that we need to sign XYZ and draft ABC in order to make the wildcard round, even if we have to start all over again the next year.

Count me in to your camp as well.

I think that is something that everyone wants, it is just a matter of what they as a fan are willing to accept. If the only outcome you can accept as a fan is a title every other year that is your choice, but you will undoubtedly feel very dissapointed when all is said and done.

Didn't read through the whole thread, but I'm assuming from TD's remarks that you are in favor of building a contender year in and year out even if it takes some time. This is in opposition to the view that we need to sign XYZ and draft ABC in order to make the wildcard round, even if we have to start all over again the next year.

Count me in to your camp as well.

This is what I said.

I'm 75. If this organization isn't making an effort to become the NFL's best, surpassing the Patriots success as an organization, then what's the point? I would have been happier with 0-16 this season if all the right moves were made toward becoming the NFL's best in the future.

I hate mediocrity. I can't picture myself at the stadium jumping up and down with both hands in the air shouting, "We're number ten! We're number ten!"

I think that is something that everyone wants, it is just a matter of what they as a fan are willing to accept. If the only outcome you can accept as a fan is a title every other year that is your choice, but you will undoubtedly feel very dissapointed when all is said and done.
As I said, I'm willing to accept 0-16 if I could see that the organization made all the right moves on its way the being the best.

i too want this team to be the best....

at the very least i want this team to go into camp KNOWING they will win at the very least 10 games a season with a real shot at the superbowl every year. i want them to be competitive with every team they play. i want them to be so good consistently that other fans may be jealous and hate us but when we show up in their park they fear us!

Archived