Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hester just passed Brian Mitchell...

pram11

With all realism here, this isn't a record that will be broken for some time.

Mitchell was an anomaly as a kick returner, doing the job for a LONG time and thus allowing him that huge number of TD's.

Hester's ability to break it in such quick time was predicated pretty much single handedly with his absolutely historic first two years of 5 and then 6 TD's. He went 2 years after that without a single TD until this year. He has 3 this year, which by itself is a great season for a kick returner and yet is only half of his best season.

To put him into perspective, lets look at Desean Jackson. Devin Hester had as many punt returns for a TD in his second year alone as Jackson has had his whole career so far. Indeed, this year alone he is only one back of Jackson's career mark.

The one current guy who right now you could say has a legitimate outside shot, outside of fantasy, of coming close would be Joshua Cribbs. He's sitting at 10 total kick return TD's, 8 of which are kick off's (in this respect, he's actually better than Hester). This is with one more year than Hester has however. Indeed, I think an argument for Cribbs over Hester could be made as Hester built his resume off of primarily two seasons where Cribbs has had a return TD every year he's played, with a 3 and a 4 TD year on his resume.

To give perspective of normal "big name" kick returners, lets look at two from more recent history. Demsond Howard and Dante Hall. Howard managed 8 TD's over his career...which was 12 years long. He scored TD's in only half of those, with his "big" years being a 3 TD year and a 2 TD year. Dante Hall managed 12, one off Mitchell, however that took him 8 years as opposed to the 5 of Hester. His "explosion" was a 3 year stretch of 3, 4, and then 2 TD years. The next few years tapered off with a TD a year.

Explosions like Hall's don't come often, and yet Hester's 2 season explosion was still larger than Hall's 3 year.

Due to the desire for people to move punt returners to WR, which tends to hurt production, and the way that punt returners tend to flame out quick or lose passion quickly, I think it'll be quite some time before we see anyone legitimately challenge this record.

I love me some Banks, and he's the best kick returner we've had in ages, but I need to see more than a 1 TD year from him to even begin to suggest he's going to come close. No one not named Cribbs, and that includes Jackson, should even be in the conversation at this point.

What Hester has managed in such a short time is amazing, and who knows what it'll end at.

Mitchell was an anomaly as a kick returner, doing the job for a LONG time and thus allowing him that huge number of TD's.

What Hester has managed in such a short time is amazing, and who knows what it'll end at.

Just wanted to say...great post

Banks and Djax could eclipse him eventually

I can see the day where they move Jackson off PRs.

---------- Post added December-20th-2010 at 11:36 PM ----------

Hester's ability to break it in such quick time was predicated pretty much single handedly with his absolutely historic first two years of 5 and then 6 TD's. He went 2 years after that without a single TD until this year. He has 3 this year, which by itself is a great season for a kick returner and yet is only half of his best season.

To put him into perspective, lets look at Desean Jackson. Devin Hester had as many punt returns for a TD in his second year alone as Jackson has had his whole career so far. Indeed, this year alone he is only one back of Jackson's career mark.

The one current guy who right now you could say has a legitimate outside shot, outside of fantasy, of coming close would be Joshua Cribbs. He's sitting at 10 total kick return TD's, 8 of which are kick off's (in this respect, he's actually better than Hester). This is with one more year than Hester has however. Indeed, I think an argument for Cribbs over Hester could be made as Hester built his resume off of primarily two seasons where Cribbs has had a return TD every year he's played, with a 3 and a 4 TD year on his resume.

To give perspective of normal "big name" kick returners, lets look at two from more recent history. Demsond Howard and Dante Hall. Howard managed 8 TD's over his career...which was 12 years long. He scored TD's in only half of those, with his "big" years being a 3 TD year and a 2 TD year. Dante Hall managed 12, one off Mitchell, however that took him 8 years as opposed to the 5 of Hester. His "explosion" was a 3 year stretch of 3, 4, and then 2 TD years. The next few years tapered off with a TD a year.

Explosions like Hall's don't come often, and yet Hester's 2 season explosion was still larger than Hall's 3 year.

Due to the desire for people to move punt returners to WR, which tends to hurt production, and the way that punt returners tend to flame out quick or lose passion quickly, I think it'll be quite some time before we see anyone legitimately challenge this record.

I love me some Banks, and he's the best kick returner we've had in ages, but I need to see more than a 1 TD year from him to even begin to suggest he's going to come close. No one not named Cribbs, and that includes Jackson, should even be in the conversation at this point.

There's a few pretty good PRs out there these days. Banks has to compete with the kid in Detroit, Logan, who's a similar short guy with better numbers actually. And that kid in Tennessee Mariani's leading the league. Quiet as it's kept, Banks is only 12th in PR avg, which is not as high as it would seem he would be. Of course, Banks probably leads the league in called back returns.

yeah never though i would be glad to see an ex-skin have his record broken, but i am. BMitch is such an egotisticle and ungrateful jerk. He's one of those idiots who says everything is negative just so he can call it" realism". Saying PD sucks was my last straw with im. Screw him. I don't listen to him and i owuld love to see PD get a hold of him (though PD is too classy to do anyhting)

yeah never though i would be glad to see an ex-skin have his record broken, but i am. BMitch is such an egotisticle and ungrateful jerk. He's one of those idiots who says everything is negative just so he can call it" realism". Saying PD sucks was my last straw with im. Screw him. I don't listen to him and i owuld love to see PD get a hold of him (though PD is too classy to do anyhting)

Completely agree. BMitch has brought the disdain of fans upon himself. You reap what you sow, BMitch is reaping himself of all credibililty.

Archived