Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting our franchise quarterback

SkinsTillIDie

What makes you say that?

I just think they're evaluating whether or not to draft a rookie next year to groom under Mcnabb. If the backups play well, they'll wait a year since we have so many holes, they can use that draft pick somewhere else. If they play ****ty, we draft a QB to groom for the future under McNabb.

I just think they're evaluating whether or not to draft a rookie next year to groom under Mcnabb. If the backups play well, they'll wait a year since we have so many holes, they can use that draft pick somewhere else. If they play ****ty, we draft a QB to groom for the future under McNabb.

In other words, he's in denial.

There's no way McNabb is in DC next year. No way.

I really hope we don't reach on a QB. If we're picking at 6 or 7 and can't trade up for Luck, none of the other guys are worth that pick. IMO the drop off from Luck to the rest of those guys is enormous. All of them have major question marks. Newton may very well go top 10 because some team will fall in love with his athleticism and the numbers he put up. Mallet will probably go relatively high, too, but I have never really been that enthused about him. Right now I think Locker is a late 1st rounder but could slide into the 2nd because he regressed this year and at times just looked absolutely lost.

I would say it is Luck or no QB. I know it might seem like we don't have much hope of getting him, but don't doubt Shanny's tenacity in getting the guy he wants. He missed on Bradford last year and I don't think he will let it happen again, especially on a guy who I think is a better prospect coming out than Bradford was. If we DO miss on him, there will be some very good players that we could draft at that position. Then we would probably have to go with Rex or grab a journeyman QB from someone else on the cheap and see what happens in 2012.

Another note: there's a very real possibility Cincinnati overtakes Carolina for the first overall pick. It would be far easier to trade up for the #1 spot with Cinci: a cheap ass owner, Paul Brown would have to pay the first overall pick, what, 30 or 40 million dollars more than the 8th overall pick? I believe they are still committed to Palmer, especially given his exorbitant salary and relatively young age. And if they could pick up an extra first or second rounder (or both), save a ton of money in the process while adding more key pieces to rebuild, I believe they are far more likely to pull the trigger than a Carolina franchise that has a gaping need for Andrew Luck.

Cincinnati remaining schedule (strength of schedule .583):

Home to Cleveland

Home to San Diego

Road at Baltimore

Carolina remaining schedule (strength of schedule .587)

Home to Arizona (and rookie qb Skelton)

Road at Pittsburgh

Road at Atlanta (a team that may have already clinched the #1 seed and may rest their starters)

Currently, the draft order resembles the following:

Carolina - (1-12) - Quarterback needy

Cincinnati - (2-11)

Buffalo - (3-10) - Quarterback needy

Detroit - (3-10)

Denver - (3-10)

Dallas - (4-9) - (will likely pick after us)

Arizona - (4-9) - Quarterback needy

San Francisco - (5-9) - Quarterback needy

Tennessee - (5-8) - (will likely keep VY and discard Fisher)

Cleveland - (5-8)

Washington - (5-8) - Quarterback super-needy

Houston - (5-8)

Minnesota - (5-8) - Quarterback needy

Oakland - (6-7) - questionable - who knows with Al Davis

Seattle - (6-7) - questionable - Hasselbeck not long-term answer

St. Louis - (6-7)

Gotta disagree with your assessment of who's "quarterback needy".

Carolina has Jimmy Clausen so they're either going to decide that Luck is just too good to pass up despite the fact that they aren't necessarily in need of him or possibly trade out of the #1.

Cinci is in need of an upgrade. Carson Palmer isn't even a shadow of his old self at this point but who knows what they'll do.

I think Buffalo is actually happy with what they have in Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Detroit is obviously set. Denver has Orton, and their first round pick Timmy Tebow :doh:

Dallas isn't going to go QB.

AZ is desperate for a QB. And a defense :ols:

Tennessee would be stupid to get rid of Fisher for VY, and if VY is gone then they'll be desperate for an upgrade. We all saw how much of a star Rusty Smith is.

Cleveland got what they needed (somewhat surprisingly) in McCoy and is set.

Sitting at #6 we don't have a great shot at Luck, but could get Gabbert.

Houston is fine.

Oakland, as you said, is always a question mark. The real random pick that wouldn't surprise me would be Blackmon out of OSU.

Seattle is one more question mark. Probably have too many holes, and a decent QB in Hasselback to pick QB here.

Just my opinion.

I say Shanny liked Bradford so much, and after seeing his success this year, Shanny will make it happen that he gets whoever he wants this year. I want Luck (although unlikely), but I could see Shanny sitting pat and taking Locker. He fits the Shanny style QB mold much better than the other QBs, although I feel like Luck is good enough that QB type and scheme is irrelevant.

Mallett is an interesting prospect. Everyone complains about his accuracy and raves about his arm strength. I could see him potentially as the best of the class for some reason. I haven't watched much of him, but I didn't notice a horrible accuracy problem. He looks pretty damn good.

I want Luck, but this team cannot afford to give up 2-3 1st round picks, You do that for a 25 year old Peyton Manning, not a rookie who hasn't played a down of NFL football. Earlier this week, I was saying we should trade whatever it takes to get Luck. That was, well, stupid. We have more holes than the Rams did last year in my opinion.

GREAT thread OP. I'm wondering if we'll make a move to grab the #1 overall and select Luck and what it will take...does our 1st this year and next plus a player (McNabb/Haynesworth/Cooley) get us the #1 overall?

If so, and Luck truly is the next great QB, I tend to think it's worth it to lock up a true franchise QB for 15 years. Not to mention we'll still have a 2nd to spend on the interior OL (Pouncey or Wiesnsasdddski sp?) and we'll likely get a 3rd for McNabb or Haynesworth, whichever isn't included in the trade to move up to the #1 overall...which can further add to the OL or add a speedster like Noel Devine...IMO, I'd be happy with a draft day like that.

I don't think we'll be able to trade high enough to get Luck. Personally I think there are a few young guys out there that were "given up on" quite early.

If Carolina DOES draft a QB first round than we could trade for Clausen. FAIL

I've heard talk of Miami giving up on Chad Henne. Not Enough Reciving Talent for him....FAIL

Vince Young (if he comes cheap due to baggage) may also be available. Mr. Meltdown...FAIL

Tebow is starting this week, Orton may become available. The broncos also have Brady Quinn, Orton is a stud.... Hmmmmmmm

Kolb may be available, though an Eagles to Redskins QB trade two years running would be crazy. Dirtball Jr? FAIL

So do we try to pull an Eli Manning-type move to acquire the 1st overall pick? (A 2011 1st round pick, 2011 2nd round pick, 2012 fist round pick -- something along those lines. Let it also be known that Carolina doesn't have a 2nd round pick this season). It would absolutely cripple us elsewhere

Did it cripple the Giants? The Giants had the 4th overall pick cause they sucked. Did that trade hurt them? No. I think that is an example why if you get a SB winning QB, almost no price is too high.

---------- Post added December-18th-2010 at 02:09 PM ----------

I want Luck, but this team cannot afford to give up 2-3 1st round picks, You do that for a 25 year old Peyton Manning, not a rookie who hasn't played a down of NFL football. Earlier this week, I was saying we should trade whatever it takes to get Luck. That was, well, stupid. We have more holes than the Rams did last year in my opinion.

If Locker is the only guy, the 2-3 firsts isnt too much to give up. Without a franchise QB, we have no hope. Look at the playoffs. Its clear as day.

I don't think we'll be able to trade high enough to get Luck. Personally I think there are a few young guys out there that were "given up on" quite early.

If Carolina DOES draft a QB first round than we could trade for Clausen. FAIL

I've heard talk of Miami giving up on Chad Henne. Not Enough Reciving Talent for him....FAIL

Vince Young (if he comes cheap due to baggage) may also be available. Mr. Meltdown...FAIL

Tebow is starting this week, Orton may become available. The broncos also have Brady Quinn, Orton is a stud.... Hmmmmmmm

Kolb may be available, though an Eagles to Redskins QB trade two years running would be crazy. Dirtball Jr? FAIL

I'm not sure why there's such animosity there in your reply. I don't believe any of those guys are the franchise quarterback in question. My point was that they are all guys with varying levels of potential that can be stop gaps in order to prevent reaching on a QB who isn't worthy of a top 8 pick. The Steelers built their entire team around Tommy Maddox (who?) before getting Ben in the first round. The Ravens built their team around Mcnair before getting Flacco. The bears built the whole team around Orton before going for Cutler.

I'm just saying, we don't want to reach on a QB not worthy of the pick. Thus, we need a stop gap. Would you rather have a good, proven, old stopgap or a bad but still has potential young stop gap? I prefer the latter.

nice post i appreciate the effort. i'm afraid we won't draft early enough to get anyone of note at QB.

My plan: sign a stop-gap qb for next year, THEN use that 2012 4th round pick we got for JC and draft a Tom Brady equivalent to lead us to multiple SB's. That way we get our QB and JC would've made his greatest contribution to this team.

Archived