Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting our franchise quarterback

SkinsTillIDie

I'm curious as to what people think the cost would be to trade up to #1. I know there are people in favor and against it. I just want to know how much people think it will cost us.

I would say two 1's and 2's at least. How far are you willing to go if you are in the get Luck at all costs camp? Would you throw in Orkapo to seal the deal?

I'm curious as to what people think the cost would be to trade up to #1. I know there are people in favor and against it. I just want to know how much people think it will cost us.

I would say two 1's and 2's at least. How far are you willing to go if you are in the get Luck at all costs camp? Would you throw in Orkapo to seal the deal?

Lol, I don't think Orakpo is up for trade. And I think it would take two firsts and maybe some combination of a second and McNabb or Haynesworth.

Which I'm not completely against if Luck really is the next great NFL QB.

Lol, I don't think Orakpo is up for trade. And I think it would take two firsts and maybe some combination of a second and McNabb or Haynesworth.

Which I'm not completely against if Luck really is the next great NFL QB.

I agree, Orakpo would not be in the mix. My point is that it will likely be very expensive to pry Luck away from a QB's needy team. And I just don't see how McNabb would be part of the equation for the #1 pick. Why would a Carolina/Cinncy/Zona have any interest in McNabb if they had 1st shot at Luck?

There aren't any OL worthy of a top-5, or even top-ten, pick this year.

But that's still an interesting question. Technically, with BMW, we do ;)

Ah, edited it right as you were posting. I meant two top-5 (or even top-10, really), picks that they made on the o-line

I'm so happy you're not the GM

I agree, Orakpo would not be in the mix. My point is that it will likely be very expensive to pry Luck away from a QB's needy team. And I just don't see how McNabb would be part of the equation for the #1 pick. Why would a Carolina/Cinncy/Zona have any interest in McNabb if they had 1st shot at Luck?

I also doubt McNabb would be involved in the trade. I see him being traded to Minny or Zona possibly for a 3rd or 4th rounder. As far as the trade up to #1, I could see swapping 1sts in 2011, giving up our 1st in 2012 and adding in Cooley and/or Haynesworth.

our future QB is more than likely a redshirt this season...Orakpo in a trade? He and Fletch have two bright spots on this team. I can't imagine a scenario where he is offered. I'm not sure if Luck will be available in our draft slot, but am not sure if he's worth giving up multiple picks in order to move up to acquire him - we have so many needs in so many areas.

Of the 3 you mentioned I can see a team like Cincy or Arizona not going for Luck. Cincy just gave Palmer that huge extension and the Brown family is notorious for being stingy on their money they hand out so I doubt they would want to have a lot of money wrapped up into Palmer's dead cap along with Luck. Carolina is the most likely to take Luck but some have stated that they are ok with Clausen but I think that's crazy talk. Arizona is the wild card because they have a QB right now who could become something down in the road in John Skelton out of Fordham but I almost could see them going another route to shore up their team and continue to develop Skelton.

It's tough to call right now once FA starts and needs are created and minimized, then we can get a better feel on who is going where

Shanahan has one more quarterback to tie himself to for the rest of his career. We aren't waiting another year to draft one -- Shanahan will be 59 next season.

If the Panthers finish with the first overall pick, it's likely that acquiring Luck will be near impossible (or would cost a price so hefty that obtaining the pick would severely debilitate our defense, via the loss of numerous high picks over multiple years, in essence negating the overall long-term value of the deal).

If Luck can't be had, then Shanahan will move on to his next option -- perhaps a Cam Newton. It's possible this would also involve a trade, though we would have to give up less than we would for Luck.

Shanahan undeniably has the ego to believe that he can nurture a quarterback with the right physical and mental tools and develop his game to the point of being a premier performer at his position. If he sees the requisite attributes in Mallet/Locker/QBX -- though an obsessive study of film, compilation of combine numbers, interviews with both the player and every possible coach/friend/family member/whomever, and everything else his analysis might entail -- perhaps we will be able to sit tight with our pick at #7-10.

All that being said - Shanahan will NOT wait until the 2012 draft to find his guy. There's no point -- we would be better off drafting a guy this year and sitting him for a year while we re-build our line, if need be, while starting Grossman or Beck in the meanwhile. And trying to find a "Tom Brady" in the lower rounds -- this isn't happening. Brady is a once-in-a-generation player. The odds of finding a similar player are astronomically unlikely, and the stakes far, far too high to resort to such a move.

"People have no idea what I look at every day. You know, these people, these experts, they're not out at practice. They judge people by what they've seen in the past. You know, I had Jake Plummer. You know, he had a winning percentage of 36 percent, and everybody said we were crazy. He had 90 touchdowns and 114 interceptions. How can you bring a guy to the Denver Broncos that won 36 percent of his games. And four years later, he won 72 percent of his games."

Shanahan won and got the best years out of Brian Griese, Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler. With one more quarterback left to solidify his legacy, you can be damn sure that he's going to try to find the quarterback with the most possible physical and mental "intangibles" available to him in the draft. And if that means gambling the house in picks, he is willing to do it (as we've already seen with McNabb). And, naturally, that means a quarterback with a hell of a work ethic, innate drive, and desire to be the best.

I also doubt McNabb would be involved in the trade. I see him being traded to Minny or Zona possibly for a 3rd or 4th rounder. As far as the trade up to #1, I could see swapping 1sts in 2011, giving up our 1st in 2012 and adding in Cooley and/or Haynesworth.

IF, there is any kind of trade up option then I think mistertim has the right formula.

But if Carolina does pick first I highly doubt they trade down.

Their most likely senario is they fire Fox as HC, try to get Harbaugh, and by getting Harbaugh they also get Luck.

I also feel that if Harbaugh stays at Stanford, then so does Luck.

Other senario is that they convince Cowher (doubtful with the report today on ESPN) or some other big name HC to come in,

which would mean that new HC will want his own QB.

What evidence do you have of this? You guessing?

Mallett seems similar to Schaub who led the league in passing under Kyle last season.

Don't get me wrong, I like Mallett a lot and think he has a very good chance to be successful in the NFL. But I was under the impression that Shanny's offensive scheme requires a mobile QB who can execute bootleg/PA passes that are setup by the running game. Mallett isn't that mobile

were gonna finish with probably a top 8 pick. locker or mallet will probably be available to us.

a lot can happen from now until the draft. if one of these dudes has a horrid combine he'll slip, and vice versa.

we have no shot at luck without trading up which we arent doing. the only positive about carolina drafting first is they spent a 2nd rounder on clausen so who knows if theyll wanna go QB right out of the gate.

if theres no QB available to us that shanny likes, we need to snag AJ Green, and then go BPA after that. rex will start and hopefully we revamp a lot of areas with youth and continue building.

Shanahan has one more quarterback to tie himself to for the rest of his career. We aren't waiting another year to draft one -- Shanahan will be 59 next season.

If the Panthers finish with the first overall pick, it's likely that acquiring Luck will be near impossible (or would cost a price so hefty that obtaining the pick would severely debilitate our defense, via the loss of numerous high picks over multiple years, in essence negating the overall long-term value of the deal).

If Luck can't be had, then Shanahan will move on to his next option -- perhaps a Cam Newton. It's possible this would also involve a trade, though we would have to give up less than we would for Luck.

Shanahan undeniably has the ego to believe that he can nurture a quarterback with the right physical and mental tools and develop his game to the point of being a premier performer at his position. If he sees the requisite attributes in Mallet/Locker/QBX -- though an obsessive study of film, compilation of combine numbers, interviews with both the player and every possible coach/friend/family member/whomever, and everything else his analysis might entail -- perhaps we will be able to sit tight with our pick at #7-10.

All that being said - Shanahan will NOT wait until the 2012 draft to find his guy. There's no point -- we would be better off drafting a guy this year and sitting him for a year while we re-build our line, if need be, while starting Grossman or Beck in the meanwhile. And trying to find a "Tom Brady" in the lower rounds -- this isn't happening. Brady is a once-in-a-generation player. The odds of finding a similar player are astronomically unlikely, and the stakes far, far too high to resort to such a move.

"People have no idea what I look at every day. You know, these people, these experts, they're not out at practice. They judge people by what they've seen in the past. You know, I had Jake Plummer. You know, he had a winning percentage of 36 percent, and everybody said we were crazy. He had 90 touchdowns and 114 interceptions. How can you bring a guy to the Denver Broncos that won 36 percent of his games. And four years later, he won 72 percent of his games."

Shanahan won and got the best years out of Brian Griese, Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler. With one more quarterback left to solidify his legacy, you can be damn sure that he's going to try to find the quarterback with the most possible physical and mental "intangibles" available to him in the draft. And if that means gambling the house in picks, he is willing to do it (as we've already seen with McNabb). And, naturally, that means a quarterback with a hell of a work ethic, innate drive, and desire to be the best.

This is a great post. I think this sums it perfectly. And I truly feel like Cam Newton is the best candidate to fill the void in this situation. IF Luck comes out, which I believe he will because I think Harbaugh will leave, then the Panthers have to take him number 1. Even though I think Luck will be that next great QB a la Manning or Brady, I think Cam can be a winner a la Roethlisberger. For a coach like Shanny looking to win as much as possible in a 5 year window, Newton is the play-making young QB that can extend plays and drives while you really lock resources into the running game and defense. It is crucial that Shanny get his QB as soon as possible to get him acclimated to the NFL. I think a QB like Luck may actually take longer to win because with his skillset, a passing game really has to be built around him and wait for him to mature.

A mobile young guy with a gun capable of making big throws to complement a run-first approach and strong defense has been successful for the Jets, Steelers, Ravens, and even Titans before the VY/Fisher feud. Drafting Luck and you're trying to go the Brees, Manning, Brady, Rivers, Rodgers route with an offense built around the passer, but that usually takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 years to produce a contender. These other teams see results with rookie QBs. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cam win the starting job as a rookie and I think its very reasonable to see him potentially outperforming Flacco, Sanchez, VY. But that's why I also a fan of taking Ryan Williams in the 2nd to develop this elite running attack with Torain.:fingersx:

Signing Vincent Jackson and Davin Joseph would help out Cam a lot too. With Cooley, Davis, Armstrong, and Kelly as additional targets, the Skins could put together quite an offense.

Archived