Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Getting our franchise quarterback

SkinsTillIDie

Alot of people are just mentioning big school QBs. How about maybe a small school QB like Pat Devlin out of Delaware? Does he fit in the NFL? Does he fit Shannys scheme? I mean Flacco isnt to bad....could it work for us?..Any thoughts?...HAIL!!!!!!!!

Yes to Pat Devlin myself and Stevemcqueen have discussed him a lot in the draft thread and Steve has a length analysis of him. He's someone who has great size, very tough QB and is highly accurate and has a great TD to INT ratio this year. It very could work for us as he's got the mobility to make plays out of the pocket but also can stay in the pocket and be someone

Lets see here Tom Brady was selected in the 6 th round 199th overall, so there is gold in the later rounds we've had our fair share of 1st round busts, the problem is do we have people in this organization that can find a Brady in the later rounds?

We do. Absolutely anybody at all can get that lucky. It's only really happened once in recent years for a reason.

We had our chances before if we just try to develop a player instead of trying to find a diamond in a dirt pile. People like Brady are rare finds and New England was fortunate to find him when they did. I for 1 felt Jason Campbell should have stayed with our team I trusted him more than I do our QB options now. We would have had our QB by now if we tried to develop a real team around our quarterback and make a conscious effort develop him properly. It is obvious we can't find the answer right away like New England did and we don't try to plan for the likelihood that we won't find that gem we just keep digging for it regardless.

We had our chances before if we just try to develop a player instead of trying to find a diamond in a dirt pile. People like Brady are rare finds and New England was fortunate to find him when they did. I for 1 felt Jason Campbell should have stayed with our team I trusted him more than I do our QB options now. We would have had our QB by now if we tried to develop a real team around our quarterback and make a conscious effort develop him properly. It is obvious we can't find the answer right away like New England did and we don't try to plan for the likelihood that we won't find that gem we just keep digging for it regardless.

To be fair, NE had no idea what they had in Brady. Bloodsoe was the starter and got hurt. They even put him back in, during a playoff run, when he was better.

I think we should just get in a load of undrafted free agents and sign the best one. lol

There are some undrafted Hall of famers and some fantastic late round picks. There are some stunning first round failures. Its all all about fit. Right player, right time, right scheme, right coaches. If all of those fall into place you have a chance whether your the first pick in the draft or a talented undrafted small college free agent.

Obviously the higher you are drafter the higher the investment and the more opportunity you get.

I have a question. How many people here have any respect for the Redskins' ability to grade and acquire quality players? Because over all I haven't seen much around this board. So why are so many so eager for us to use picks on the highest paid, higest pressure position on the field? Seriously, how can you think a QB wouldn't be Ryan Leaf 2.0?

Let is also be stated that in 2005, Denver's offense was run by Jake Plummer at QB, their leading receiver was a 35 year old Rod Smith, with Ashlie Lelie the #2 receiver, the leading tight end Jeb Putzier, and leading running back Mike Anderson.

In 2008, Shanahan had a rebuilt offense, led by Jay Cutler at QB, Brandon Marshall at WR and Eddie Royal across from him, and Peyton Hillis at RB (though with 7 running backs, they averaged 4.8 yards per carry), with Tony Scheffler at tight end.

However, both offenses finished in the top 5 in the league in yards. At least based on past results, Shanahan knows how to build an offense and run an elite one.

Exactly. Yet there are people here who seem to think that Shanahan isn't fit to run a JV football program.

Give the man time. He didn't exactly inherit a team in great shape. This is going to take a couple years. So let it happen!

A guy that pretty much flys under the radar, and the Skins would not have to use a 1st round pick to get is Pat Devil from Delaware. Delaware just made the FCS championship with Devlin leading the way for them. Devlin originally went to Penn State and then like Flacco transferred to Delaware to get a chance to start and he's done rather well. It would be much better for the Redskins to take a wide receiver or lineman with this years 1st round pick and maybe try to pick up Devlin in the 2nd round and see how he can develop. We're obviously in a rebuilding mode so letting him learn the system for a year won't kill the team or maybe he can even make a decent impact starting his rookie year, who knows? As far as drafting a QB in the first round, by the time the Redskins do pick, I think 2 out of the 4 big names will certainly be there. Obviously, we'd all like to see Andrew Luck as a Redskins but lets face it that's not going to happen without a trade. I'd put the other 3 in the order of Newton, Mallet, Locker. Locker has not played well in big games, and even while Arkansas lost to Alabama this year, Mallet played pretty well in that big game and other big time games this year as well. We all know McNabb doesn't handle big games very well from his days in Philly and we need a guy who can win big games.

I think with the benching of McNabb you could see the Redskins tank these final games. It's not that McNabb has played that well, but it's clear there is dysfunction at the top of the organizational pyramid and players when they see that happening often look to protect themselves from injury and hold back in the knowledge that their own positions may not be secure on a team where things are topsy-turvey.

If Grossman comes in and plays very well perhaps this doesn't happen. But Grossman looks to me like a system quarterback, a guy that can only be successful when he gets good protection and has some talented targets to throw at.

He is not going to escape the rush and make plays. His history shows he often throws the casual interception.

If Kyle and Mike think Donovan was prone to misfiring at times, Rex can shotgun the ball around pretty well himself - with no one knowing where it is going to go.

Draft Pat Devlin out of UD. I was at the Semi-final game yesterday. He didn't have a huge game yesterday, but threw 2 TD's and made key throws. I'm a Delaware season ticket holder and have watched most of his games last year and this year. He shows patience in the pocket and is extremely accurate. He's only thrown 2 INTs all season and now has around 20 TD passes and has played with a broken wrist. He is a big QB, smart and has a good leadership mentality. I think he'd be a great addition to the Shanny family offense and as of now we could probably get him either in the 2nd or 3rd round and use our 1st round pick on a can't miss O-lineman, D-lineman or receiver.

Well judging from our likely position in the draft, somewhere in between 7-12, if we are thinking QB... Luck and Mallett probably don't drop that far. However; i think that the highest possibility if our decision is QB would be Cam Newton. Cam is the prototypical Shanahan QB. Big (6'6" 247 pounds), Strong arm, and quite mobile for a guy his size. If they do opt for Cam, they need to give him as much time as possible to develop. I would not be in favor of him starting right away. So hopefully we can find a temporary starter among Grossman and Beck.

QB next year maybe? We're nowhere near close. There are some great QB's in the draft, but there will be next year. I think we can wait.

But QB is not a plug and play situation. It's only the most important position in sports, if you can get a guy now and get some time with him, you should do it. You don't draft a QB because you're close, you draft a QB because you're not.

Some VERY lucky team is going to get Cam Newton that's for sure. That guy is just unstoppable. He's not just a running QB either. He's proven he has a good arm too. He can beat you several ways.

Spread option, one year, inexperienced, underclassmen QB. Buyer beware.

But physically, I agree, there's not much to not like.

IF Shanny can't get the QB he's been watching a lot of film on in the Draft, then that ups the chance of McNabb returning. Though Shanny does have his eye on someone in the Draft, it just depends on if we cam be able to move up to get him.

Well....this might mean something.

Or it might just be a VERY coincidental typo.

Spread option, one year, inexperienced, underclassmen QB. Buyer beware.

But physically, I agree, there's not much to not like.

I think people get too caught up in a QB formula rather than making judgments based on how the QB looks when playing the game. Last year the concern about Bradford was that he's a spread system QB, doesn't make reads, has perfect protection, and is injury-prone. But now he's looking like he's the next great QB. A lot of people seem to follow the Parcells philosophy (which I don't know why people follow considering his QBs have been solid, but never elite) and the guy has to be a 3-year starter, in a pro system, in a major conference, etc.

Bottom line is to watch the guys play and let that inform the decision more than trying to fit them into a QB formula. All these pre-requisites for drafting a QB are just bullet points that talk you out of drafting a great player. Cam Newton is a GREAT player. He's got a ridiculous combination of size, speed, agility, and arm strength. He won a JUCO championship last year and is on the verge of winning the national championship this year. He's a winner and provides Shanny with the clay to mold a QB that can be better than even Elway.

I think people get too caught up in a QB formula rather than making judgments based on how the QB looks when playing the game. Last year the concern about Bradford was that he's a spread system QB, doesn't make reads, has perfect protection, and is injury-prone. But now he's looking like he's the next great QB. A lot of people seem to follow the Parcells philosophy (which I don't know why people follow considering his QBs have been solid, but never elite) and the guy has to be a 3-year starter, in a pro system, in a major conference, etc.

Bottom line is to watch the guys play and let that inform the decision more than trying to fit them into a QB formula. All these pre-requisites for drafting a QB are just bullet points that talk you out of drafting a great player. Cam Newton is a GREAT player. He's got a ridiculous combination of size, speed, agility, and arm strength. He won a JUCO championship last year and is on the verge of winning the national championship this year. He's a winner and provides Shanny with the clay to mold a QB that can be better than even Elway.

We're counting JUCO accomplishments now?

We're counting JUCO accomplishments now?

I think its worth considering that in his two years as a starter he will have accomplished as much as he possibly can and won 2 national championships. Why do we consider Pat Devlin when he played on a lesser level. Its not like Newton didn't have enough talent, he played JUCO while transferring from Florida to Auburn. JUCO produces lots of NFL talent.

Archived