Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sleeper FA: Phillip Hunt

method man

Two years ago, I was the guy that started a thread about some guy named Cam Wake from the CFL. That Cam Wake has gone on to have a 14 sack season thus far for the Dolphins.

Now, once again from the CFL, I present you another sleeper 3-4 OLB FA named Phillip Hunt.

images%3Fq%3Dphillip%2Bhunt%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox%26rlz%3D1I7ADFA_en%26biw%3D1291%26bih%3D476%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=rc&dur=239&ei=QLkJTbz9NZC8sQOLtr2UCg&oei=ObkJTbnYII2ksQPp08CXCg&esq=2&page=2&ndsp=13&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:17&tx=105&ty=61

This guy is not on Wake's level yet, but he finished with 16 sacks last season in the CFL. What he has over Wake is that he is much younger than Wake was before having this type of impact. Thus, he potentially has a higher upside than Cam.

Phillip was actually a draft prospect in 2009 who went undrafted out of Houston. One reason for this was due to size issues as he is only 6-0, which is about the same height as another dominant 3-4 OLB named Elvis Dumervil.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-31691.html

According to this thread, this guy has actually flashed cover skills in workouts. '

http://maxnfldraft.blogspot.com/

This draft report from FFToolbox mentions that he clearly has the athleticism to play the position.

http://www.fftoolbox.com/nfl_draft/profile_display.cfm?prospect_id=1757

Furthermore, I do feel that it will take him a year to get accustomed to the 3-4 OLB position like it did for Wake. However, in 2012, we may have another potential beast to pair with Orakpo.

The key with this type of signing is that it will be a lot cheaper than forking over millions upon millions of dollars to someone like a Lamarr Woodley or a a Von Miller.

I remember that Cam Wake thread and I think about it every time I hear that dudes name on ESPN.

Drives me insane that some random message-boarder on ES (no offense) was all over that ****, while our FO was busy trading our future for that bum ass weasel Jason Taylor.

I don't even want to read about this new guy or try to remember his name because you're probably right again... and he won't be playing for us.

Yea, you nailed that **** with Wake. Like LaRonDontLikeUgly it kills me hearing about him now after reading that thread. I was with you hoping we'd at least bring him in for a look, but of course we didn't. Instead of having a stud opposite Orakpo we suffered through Jason Taylor and now watch Lorenzo Alexander (love em but he's depth not starting material) play out of position.

****ing Redskins man.

This board doesn't get enough credit, between TK and the other well informed posters and all the true football lovers with an eye for talent on here this place seems to have a better idea of what the Skins should do then the Skins. Except after a loss, then this place is a mind numbing cry-fest.

Anyway back on topic:

Unlike with Wake who would have been great here, I dunno about this guy (for us right now). We need another dominate player in the front 7 not another undersized out of position guy that we try and make it work with. Bring him in to replace Carter on 3rd downs? Sure, we desperately need some youth on this team with talent, maybe he shows something and gets a shot. I still want us to target a stud LB either in the 2nd/3rd (AH trade) or FA this offseason.

Just my :2cents:

The guy is 6-0 250. He definitely has the bulk to play the 3-4 OLB position. If he were 6-2, he'd weigh 260.

The only issue is his being a tad short but this is benefit because he has a lower center of gravity and is able to move smoothly with better change of direction.

At this point, I am not sure we are able to spend a top 100 pick on a 3-4 OLB, given all our other needs. I'd much rather use that pick on an offensive lineman, QB of the future or nose tackle.

If we keep losing like this, AJ Green is the guy we must take.

The guy is 6-0 250. He definitely has the bulk to play the 3-4 OLB position. If he were 6-2, he'd weigh 260.

The only issue is his being a tad short but this is benefit because he has a lower center of gravity and is able to move smoothly with better change of direction.

At this point, I am not sure we are able to spend a top 100 pick on a 3-4 OLB, given all our other needs. I'd much rather use that pick on an offensive lineman, QB of the future or nose tackle.

If we keep losing like this, AJ Green is the guy we must take.

I'm with you 100% man, bring in all the young potential we can, if the guy can play he can play. I'm just tired of the we'll make it work out with what we have attitude, I want players that fit the scheme on the field.

And **** yes, give me AJ Green in the 1st if we keep losing (or Julio if we win a few more games), Hudson/Pouncey/Wisniewski (BPA C/G) in the 2nd, and a stud front 7 player in the 3rd (AH trade), I'd **** myself. :drooley:

I remember this guy coming out of college. I was hoping the skins would take him in the late rounds

I also remember the thread you made about wake, and I was pissed off when I heard Parcells got him. All because of your thread.

I know some stuff about Hunt

He had something like 38 sacks in college, If I remember correctly. People looked at him as a DE and not an OLB coming out of college. I remember he was too undersized to play a 4-3 DE in the NFL. BUT, the guy had speed.

I guess the CFL turned him into a 3-4 OLB, which makes a lot of sense.

Drives me insane that some random message-boarder on ES (no offense) was all over that ****, while our FO was busy trading our future for that bum ass weasel Jason Taylor.

Me too. Aside from the QB position, IMO, it's not all that difficult to find talented football players that can make a successful transition to the NFL. It's infinitely harder to spot legit baseball talent that can succeed at the major league level though. I was also hoping we would have scooped at Matt Roth when the Dolphins cut him loose. Chris Wilson has worked out too.

Yea, you nailed that **** with Wake. Like LaRonDontLikeUgly it kills me hearing about him now after reading that thread. I was with you hoping we'd at least bring him in for a look, but of course we didn't. Instead of having a stud opposite Orakpo we suffered through Jason Taylor and now watch Lorenzo Alexander (love em but he's depth not starting material) play out of position.

****ing Redskins man.

This board doesn't get enough credit, between TK and the other well informed posters and all the true football lovers with an eye for talent on here this place seems to have a better idea of what the Skins should do then the Skins. Except after a loss, then this place is a mind numbing cry-fest.

Anyway back on topic:

Unlike with Wake who would have been great here, I dunno about this guy (for us right now). We need another dominate player in the front 7 not another undersized out of position guy that we try and make it work with. Bring him in to replace Carter on 3rd downs? Sure, we desperately need some youth on this team with talent, maybe he shows something and gets a shot. I still want us to target a stud LB either in the 2nd/3rd (AH trade) or FA this offseason.

Just my :2cents:

Why only 1 OLB?? Why can't wepick up him cheap as well as draft a OLB?? Thats depth. Have to pick up as many good players as possible. IF there are two prospects at one position of need that are each accessible through draft and free agency...why not get them both if they can both contribute.

---------- Post added December-16th-2010 at 12:42 PM ----------

I'm with you 100% man, bring in all the young potential we can, if the guy can play he can play. I'm just tired of the we'll make it work out with what we have attitude, I want players that fit the scheme on the field.

And **** yes, give me AJ Green in the 1st if we keep losing (or Julio if we win a few more games), Hudson/Pouncey/Wisniewski (BPA C/G) in the 2nd, and a stud front 7 player in the 3rd (AH trade), I'd **** myself. :drooley:

How about we trade back and be left with a late 1st round pick and 2 early 2nd round picks. We could get Justin Blackmon/Jonothan Baldwin in the late 1st round and Hudson and Pouncey in the early 2nd.

(or) we could trade back and pick up Hudson, Pouncey,and Wisniewski

(or) we could stay put at draft a can't-miss stud 3-4 DE like Marcell Dareus or can't-miss DT Stephen Peae

.....smh I'd hate to be in the war room.....wow If I was in the Redskins FO, I'd stack so many damn draft picks every year...I love the draft

---------- Post added December-16th-2010 at 12:43 PM ----------

Chris Wilson comes out of CFL...he probally has some connections.

It´s a bit like recruiting....make the guy wanna come here. You can always take a shot.

Does chris wilson have a twitter?? Lets all message Chris and ask if he knows dude.....then try to convince him to suggest it to the Front Office....DeAngelo did it...so can Chris.

I'm serious about this...I'm about to message him now.

Chris Wilson comes out of CFL...he probally has some connections.

It´s a bit like recruiting....make the guy wanna come here. You can always take a shot.

Cam Wake actually replaced Chris Wilson in 2007, for the BC Lions, after he signed with us. Strange but true.

---------- Post added December-16th-2010 at 12:50 PM ----------

Oh and back on topic, this kid has potential for sure, but is a project.

Sounds like a good guy to look at. If we stick with the 3-4, getting more pass-rushers from the OLB spot is going to be critical to sustain pressure. That's what allows for the unpredictability of the offense in blitzing from different edges. Now, we really only have Orakpo as the threat on a given play, with Wilson getting some rotation in there. Carter is stuck with rushing from a 3-pt stance in nickel packages and likely will be gone after this season.

Getting some nice young talent like Hunt is the way to help build up this team to match the schemes on both offense and defense and get us going on the right track.

Archived