Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading our first round draft pick for multiple picks

skins4ever17

Pickings are slim on the interior line this year.The only NFL ready center, Mike Pouncey of Florida, is expected to be a top 20 pick. There are only two guards/center options (Hudson of Florida State and Franklin of Miami) that project to go in the middle of the second round. Everyone else is a third or fourth round guy and the Skins don't have thrid or fourth round picks.

If you want to roll the dice on losing out on the OL the team needs so much, then trading the first pick for a second rounder would work. But the chump change you'd pick up in this deal may not be worth as much as keeping the first round pick and taking Pouncey, and then hoping Hudson or Franklin is still around for the second round.

And if you're thinking of drafting just one OL and getting someone else with the other pick, well, I just hope Free Agency brings in Logan Mankins and another stellar offensive lineman, because adding one more offensive lineman to this mix is not going to add much.

Carolina does have a lot of leverage, just need to hope that somehow Detroit ends up #1 over Carolina. That would be the only way we end up with a good shot at getting Luck. I would have to move up but this guy is the real deal at QB

Detroit would still take Luck.....See the Chargers in 2004 with Drew Brees having shoulder issues....

doesn't Carolina already have Jimmy Clausen? I'm not so sure their issue is at QB. I think it was the other positions.

If Harbaugh leaves Stanford, then so does Luck. And they both could wind up in Carolina.

Which would leave Clausen as trade bait.

Trading down is not as easy as we fans would like, especially in rounds 1 and 2.

It would be interesting to see how many trade downs there were for the last 10 years of drafting, and limited to rounds 1 &2.

I think the only extra picks we are going to acquire are in later round trade downs and some player for picks prior to the draft.

Trading back for more picks only works if the right personnel for your scheme are there. Trading back just to get picks means nothing. How about us possibly using our picks to actually build our team. As fun as all this second guessing is I gotta just take a step back and let this new regime make their mark. Guess we'll all just have to sit back and enjoy the rollercoaster ride.

Trading back for more picks only works if the right personnel for your scheme are there. Trading back just to get picks means nothing. How about us possibly using our picks to actually build our team. As fun as all this second guessing is I gotta just take a step back and let this new regime make their mark. Guess we'll all just have to sit back and enjoy the rollercoaster ride.

i think the rams would trade up into the top 10 to get AJ Green or Julio Jones to pair with Bradford since they are so desperate for a WR.

i think the rams would trade up into the top 10 to get AJ Green or Julio Jones to pair with Bradford since they are so desperate for a WR.

The Rams are a smart team though Dro they could wait to where they are and take Jonathan Balwdin at the same time and it would be just as effective. Deveney is a good GM he's going to be smart with how he does things.

The Rams are a smart team though Dro they could wait to where they are and take Jonathan Balwdin at the same time and it would be just as effective. Deveney is a good GM he's going to be smart with how he does things.

but imo Julio and Green are light years ahead of a Baldwin and Blackmon.

They are but again Deveney is tough to work with, he's not going to give up the farm for one guy instead of having the team at heart. The only way he would do that is for a QB but he has that

true true i can only hope that Julio Blows everyone out the water not named AJ therefore it forces Deveney's Hand

He does look good in the clip you posted, including his mechanics and arm strength. The thing that bothers me is his OL and WR's look much better than the Skins. How will he perform with no time to set(although his arm strength may allow more planned rollouts and scrambles) and no WR's fighting for the ball. How well will he handle playing for a mediocre team with no support is the question we would have to guess at.

Those were 2009 highlights. If you thought he was good last year, you should see him this year, hes twice as good. Thats how amazing I think this QB is.

---------- Post added December-11th-2010 at 03:42 PM ----------

Detroit would still take Luck.....See the Chargers in 2004 with Drew Brees having shoulder issues....

Aj Smith is jerk like that, Detroits not going to go after a QB this year, even if its Luck.

I have to disagree.

We tried that a few years ago and it got us David, Kelly and Thomas.

Look at the playoffs. All the teams have elite QBs. The obvious is that McCrap is not an elite QB. We need to trade up and grab one of the elite QBs then we can spend the rest of the next 10 years drafting whatever lower important position players you want.

QB first, then it doesnt matter. That is the nature of the NFL now.

Redskins aren't followers. We're leaders. We need to do what's best for our team. We can get our franchise QB in rounds 2-3 in next years draft. (Just like Josh freeman, Joe Flacco, etc.)

We need to stack up draft picks and build up these lines. and maybe get Blackmon (:

From what I have read, this is going to be a weak draft class this year. You had a pretty good class last year, as guys entered early due to the upcoming labor issue.

So if it is going to be weak, I'm all for trading down. My thinking is if you can trade out of the first round, you may get a guard and a center out of this draft. Mind you it is still too early, if there is a quality guy who could be a NT, I say draft him quick!

there's always a couple of guys who are coming out of college and people are declaring they'll be heading to Canton. You do not see all that much jockeying for position though. That's not likely to change. Don't expect desperation. A team will be happy with the fourth best reciever or soemthing and keep their extra picks. Expect any trades that happen to be a couple of spots up or down, no major jumping up.

Redskins aren't followers. We're leaders. We need to do what's best for our team. We can get our franchise QB in rounds 2-3 in next years draft. (Just like Josh freeman, Joe Flacco, etc.)

We need to stack up draft picks and build up these lines. and maybe get Blackmon (:

Freeman and Flacco were both 1st round draft picks. So was Matt Ryan, Sanchez, Big Ben, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Rivers, Brees, Cutler, Rodgers, Bradford, Palmer, Stafford, Vince Young. All these teams with exception of the lions and titans are USUALLY playoff contenders, and 4 have super bowl wins. You need a top tier QB in this league hands down.

Note: Andrew Luck was born in DC, I hope hes a skins fan :)

after trading #2 and #3 picks for McNabb it would seem using a top 10 pick on another quarterback would be a HUGE investment of what can only be considered limited resources :)

But, many teams have proven that a young franchise QB is the way to go. It would really depend on if Luck is the prospect everyone thinks he is, of course. If he is, I can't rightly say that it wouldn't be worth it.

that would require the Redskins to admit then that the team is rebuilding because the team won't be able to add another impact player at need positions on OL and D.

are they ready to do that?

is the team prepared to trade Donovan McNabb perhaps if a decision to make such a pick is made, as the team could recoup a pick or two to continue building.

that would require the Redskins to admit then that the team is rebuilding because the team won't be able to add another impact player at need positions on OL and D.

are they ready to do that?

is the team prepared to trade Donovan McNabb perhaps if a decision to make such a pick is made, as the team could recoup a pick or two to continue building.

That's a damn good question, bulldog. If a prospect like Luck was in our reach (by trade or just naturally), and Shanahan really believed in him....I'd have to hope that they are ready to do that.

That's just my opinion, and obviously they wouldn't make such a trade if they weren't.

That's a damn good question, bulldog. If a prospect like Luck was in our reach (by trade or just naturally), and Shanahan really believed in him....I'd have to hope that they are ready to do that.

That's just my opinion, and obviously they wouldn't make such a trade if they weren't.

Didnt Shanny still try to trade for Bradford even after aquiring mcnabb?

Didnt Shanny still try to trade for Bradford even after aquiring mcnabb?

I'm pretty sure he did, and I'm less sure that McNabb was involved?

Idk, we have word from TK that McNabb was originally part of a larger deal for Bradford (aka the #1 pick), but that it fell through because the Rams loved Bradford and wanted too much. But we went through with the McNabb deal anyways.

Conn, is Luck still slated to go at #1? If so, do we have enough firepower to get even close to that pick? Lucks stats and write up is impressive, big, smart, strong arm, but I think it would take a lot to get to him and we are missing a 2 and a 3 I think,

Archived