Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading our first round draft pick for multiple picks

skins4ever17

I'm pretty sure he did, and I'm less sure that McNabb was involved?

Idk, we have word from TK that McNabb was originally part of a larger deal for Bradford (aka the #1 pick), but that it fell through because the Rams loved Bradford and wanted too much. But we went through with the McNabb deal anyways.

This is spectacular news, so we know Shanny does have the interest in a young QB. Especially one of great Value aka #1 prospect.

Conn, is Luck still slated to go at #1? If so, do we have enough firepower to get even close to that pick? Lucks stats and write up is impressive, big, smart, strong arm, but I think it would take a lot to get to him and we are missing a 2 and a 3 I think,
This is spectacular news, so we know Shanny does have the interest in a young QB. Especially one of great Value aka #1 prospect.

Man, I hope so. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is admit you "made a mistake" (if that's what you want to call it) and move on. Getting a young QB, whoever Shanahan believes in, might be that move.

No!

The Skins have been pissing away their draft pick and giving them away as Christmas gifts! We need top flight talent, and the only to get top tier talemt is to draft in the higher rounds. Yes, occasionally, you do get a gem in the later rounds, but they are far and few in between.

Freeman and Flacco were both 1st round draft picks. So was Matt Ryan, Sanchez, Big Ben, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Rivers, Brees, Cutler, Rodgers, Bradford, Palmer, Stafford, Vince Young. All these teams with exception of the lions and titans are USUALLY playoff contenders, and 4 have super bowl wins. You need a top tier QB in this league hands down.

Note: Andrew Luck was born in DC, I hope hes a skins fan :)

Brees was a second rounder

---------- Post added December-11th-2010 at 10:52 PM ----------

Those were 2009 highlights. If you thought he was good last year, you should see him this year, hes twice as good. Thats how amazing I think this QB is.

---------- Post added December-11th-2010 at 03:42 PM ----------

Aj Smith is jerk like that, Detroits not going to go after a QB this year, even if its Luck.

Actually that was a pretty smart move the dumb one was letting him go in free agency for nothing.

Of course we should get a franchise HOF QB like Brady in the sixth round if we can. The problem is is that it is not that simple and you can waste decades trying to hit that lottery number. This is a QB driven league. Everyone here needs to accept that and the best QBs go in the top 3 picks, and the only reason they last a bit later is if there are multiple QBs coming out.

Washington needs a young QB to groom more than it needs a Center, Guard or WR. Once we get the QB, the rest is way easier. Keep Grossman for a year or two and build out the team while we develop the next go to guy.

Of course we should get a franchise HOF QB like Brady in the sixth round if we can. The problem is is that it is not that simple and you can waste decades trying to hit that lottery number. This is a QB driven league. Everyone here needs to accept that and the best QBs go in the top 3 picks, and the only reason they last a bit later is if there are multiple QBs coming out.

Washington needs a young QB to groom more than it needs a Center, Guard or WR. Once we get the QB, the rest is way easier. Keep Grossman for a year or two and build out the team while we develop the next go to guy.

Belichik's scheme is very QB friendly. A smart, accurate, pocket passer can fare well even if he isn't a great athlete. QBs like that can be found in round three or later: Examples: Brady, Cassel, Orton, Bulger.

Shanahan's scheme requires a more talented athlete: Examples: Elway, Cutler, Stafford. It's very unlikely you'll find that kind below the top half of the first round.

Ok, so again, what do you make of all the reports that Shanahan was apparently willing to give up multiple picks to move up to #1 last year, then? Is he now Vinny-like? Moving up for a player you really like and think would work out and fit with what you want to do as a coach isn't always a bad thing. Some of these guys do know what they're doing, and all. Were the Jets run by Vinny when they moved up to get Sanchez? Were they run by a bunch of arm chair GMs on a message board? No, they believed the picks and the risk could be worth the reward in the long run. They also used FA to bolster the rest of their team to help him. Seems they are doing ok.

I have a feeling we will make some moves in FA as far as OL goes. There will be a good amount of talent out there. I also find it funny that you blast people for their opinion on what to do in the draft since they are just armchair GMs who have no clue (most wouldn't hesitate to tell you they don't know anywhere near as much as pro scouts and coaches, but I digress), but then you tell us what to expect Shanahan and Allen to do and then say "which is the correct move".

As much as people want to speculate on how aggressive this team was in acquiring last years number one, it didnt happen, so it's just that, speculation. As far as the Jets moving up to get Sanchez, that is a luxury you can afford when you have an existing O-line, not to mention a decent running game. This team cant say that.

No disrespect but, saying we'll make moves in FA is like saying the sun will rise tomorrow. We need an entire interior line, something we're unlikely to acquire via the draft, especially considering all the other holes on the team.

I thought it was common knowledge that the best recipe for success is to build from the lines out. I think its laughable that people bashed Dan and Vinny all these years for ignoring both lines and always going for the sexy pick, yet threads like this continue to pop up.

NEEDS

Running Back

Wide out

Offensive Guard (2)

Center

Nose Tackle

Defensive End

Outside Linebacker

Free Safety

I dont know how any objective fan can realistically look at the needs of this team and still be willing to sell the farm for an unproven QB, just my opinion of course.

Archived