Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trading our first round draft pick for multiple picks

skins4ever17

Its good to dream and all but if Luck is a can't miss product what makes you think anybody would trade with us for him???? The comparisons are he could be the next Peyton Manning. Would you trade 3+ first rounders for a decade of Manning? I don't think so. We might be better served to look at picks that could be around when we pick. Aww heck nevermind keep the fantasy alive.

It wouldn't require 3 1st rounders for Luck. It would be something along the lines of 2011 1st, 2012 2nd, 3rd. It would be tough to part with those picks but if we are smart in FA then we could very well be in a good position to make that move. A lot of what happens though depends on Carolina and what happens with them and the draft positions

I think reality has set in man. I'm 23 and right now its that time of the year. I think Mr.Allen is seriously going to retool this offseason though.

Agreed I was very hopeful at the beginning but reality has set in and I realize we are going to rebuild this team up and do it the right way through the draft and smart and wise FA selections that fit our needs

Thanks Dukes. Everything I've read reads very glowing. Funny you should mention Peyton. I saw echoes of Peyton all over Bradford, and honestly aren't surprised he's assimilated to pro life so quickly. Dudes super smart, with a super accurate arm. If Luck's anything approaching that level, then it would be to our folly to not at the least investigate the possibility.

Hail.

I think that as a prospect Luck is a step above where Bradford was. Obviously, Bradford has done well for himself so far and Luck has yet to take an NFL snap, hence "prospect". He has everything Bradford had as far as accuracy, intelligence, character, etc but has other things that set him above. He has not been surrounded by nearly as much talent as Bradford was and still put up very impressive numbers against some very good teams. He can run and will run...and will run over people on the way if he has to. Very quick for a guy who is 6'4 235 lbs. I think he had well over 400 yards rushing along with 3 TDs this year. He plays in a very pro style offense with multiple reads and has to do a lot of reading of the defense at the LOS. He also doesn't come with the injury worries that Bradford did.

It wouldn't require 3 1st rounders for Luck. It would be something along the lines of 2011 1st, 2012 2nd, 3rd. It would be tough to part with those picks but if we are smart in FA then we could very well be in a good position to make that move. A lot of what happens though depends on Carolina and what happens with them and the draft positions

We would need way more than a 1st, 2, 3. I was exaggerating with the 3 firsts but no way does a team pass on a franchise QB for that little.

Chris Cooley (3rd round pick?)

Finish getting the dead weight off the team

Did you seriously just refer to CC47 as dead weight? I really hate seeing crap like this. Geez.

EDIT: Great, I can already see it's gonna be another offseason like last year where every other post on here is throw all but 2 players on the current roster to the fire. I thought common sense already killed the trade Cooley crap...guess I was wrong.

We would need way more than a 1st, 2, 3. I was exaggerating with the 3 firsts but no way does a team pass on a franchise QB for that little.

I mean if it even means a 1,2 and 2 next year that would be ok with me, because in the end I know what we are getting there with Luck is going to be something special

For comparisons sake the Jets traded their 1st and 2nd along with some players who were ok to move up 12 spots for Sanchez.

I mean if it even means a 1,2 and 2 next year that would be ok with me, because in the end I know what we are getting there with Luck is going to be something special

For comparisons sake the Jets traded their 1st and 2nd along with some players who were ok to move up 12 spots for Sanchez.

I think the compensation that Denver received for Cutler would be more accurate starting with two 1sts. This guy is being touted as the best QB prospect in a decade. Is it an exaggeration? I don't know. If I was Carolina there is no way I would pass on him and if I did it would be a deal soo crazy that I could still look myself in the mirror as Luck goes to Probowl after Probowl.

Did you seriously just refer to CC47 as dead weight? I really hate seeing crap like this. Geez.

EDIT: Great, I can already see it's gonna be another offseason like last year where every other post on here is throw all but 2 players on the current roster to the fire. I thought common sense already killed the trade Cooley crap...guess I was wrong.

When you've multiple holes, little draft picks to fill them, and even less viable "talent" to garner any more, "common sense" say's you explore EVERY avenue. And when Cooley, as much as I love the dude, is both one of the VERY few players with any decent trade worth; and whom has a guy sat behind him who's both younger, and potentially a better pass catching TE given he's quicker, stronger and more athletic; it would be to our detriment to not look into what we could get for CC. Sometimes you just have to make sacrifices for the better good; or bigger picture and long term future in this case.

On a team headed for another season the wrong side of .500, NO player should be exempt.

Hail.

Man I hate to see the warrior go but he looks like he is on his last leg. Its nobodies fault but ours. We have ruined another career (CP, Tana) by not bringing enough pieces in to help the team succeed.

It would be one of Bruce's toughest decisions but it will pay off. Chris should go to a team that has better chances to succeed RIGHT NOW (pats, colts, steelers, pack).

We have a younger more athletic backup and we just drafted Logen Paulsen last year? Give Chris a blessing and let him go.

Hail!

there is no way Santana moss is worth a third round draft pick...when earlier this year Randy Moss went for a 3rd to Minnesota

---------- Post added December-10th-2010 at 08:20 PM ----------

there is no way Santana moss is worth a third round draft pick...when earlier this year Randy Moss went for a 3rd to Minnesota

we just have to face it....we have no trade value with any of our players....we have a ****ty team.

This sounds reasonable enough. Considering how many holes we have to fill on this roster, the more picks the better. However, trading down is not something automatic, it takes two to tango as they say.

If we can trade up for Luck, do it. If not, we can trade down. But if we have a shot to get as good a prospect as will come out in several years, I would trade the extra picks for him.

When you've multiple holes, little draft picks to fill them, and even less viable "talent" to garner any more, "common sense" say's you explore EVERY avenue. And when Cooley, as much as I love the dude, is both one of the VERY few players with any decent trade worth; and whom has a guy sat behind him who's both younger, and potentially a better pass catching TE given he's quicker, stronger and more athletic; it would be to our detriment to not look into what we could get for CC.

On a team headed for another season the wrong side of .500, NO player should be exempt.

Hail.

Sorry, it's just my undying loyalty to someone who has given everything for this team and area and still has a few good years left I honestly believe.

So by your last comment would that mean that you'd be willing to trade RAK too?

Man I hate to see the warrior go but he looks like he is on his last leg. Its nobodies fault but ours. We have ruined another career (CP, Tana) by not bringing enough pieces in to help the team succeed.

It would be one of Bruce's toughest decisions but it will pay off. Chris should go to a team that has better chances to succeed RIGHT NOW (pats, colts, steelers, pack).

We have a younger more athletic backup and we just drafted Logen Paulsen last year? Give Chris a blessing and let him go.

Hail!

I like Fred Davis, he does have a lot of upside..but apparently I've missed the Logan Paulsen coming out party this year because I've seen nothing of him to make me think he will definitely be here next year. Any specific points you have about him, let me know and I'll go download game film and check him out.

I think the compensation that Denver received for Cutler would be more accurate starting with two 1sts. This guy is being touted as the best QB prospect in a decade. Is it an exaggeration? I don't know. If I was Carolina there is no way I would pass on him and if I did it would be a deal soo crazy that I could still look myself in the mirror as Luck goes to Probowl after Probowl.

Hard to say what Carolina would do. But one thing to consider there is the very real possibility of a new coaching regime, etc next season. What sort of philosophy would they bring? Would they be willing to go all in on a #1 overall pick right after they get there? Would they look at the roster and say "Luck would be great, but we have so many problems here it might be a better idea to get a bunch of picks and maybe some players for the #1 pick"? I think our best bet would be if Detroit ended up at #1 overall since they are already invested in Stafford so we know they won't pick a QB. Our only problem then would be a possible bidding war with someone.

Hard to say what Carolina would do. But one thing to consider there is the very real possibility of a new coaching regime, etc next season. What sort of philosophy would they bring? Would they be willing to go all in on a #1 overall pick right after they get there? Would they look at the roster and say "Luck would be great, but we have so many problems here it might be a better idea to get a bunch of picks and maybe some players for the #1 pick"? I think our best bet would be if Detroit ended up at #1 overall since they are already invested in Stafford so we know they won't pick a QB. Our only problem then would be a possible bidding war with someone.

I agree. Makes me wonder how much we would be willing to give up. Last year Shanny was supposedly in love with Bradford. We were much closer to the number 1 pick than we will be this year and we didn't make a trade. I think we end up taking the best player available. Most likely a OLB, DL, or WR.

Shoot Brett, there's a whole other debate. I love Orakpo. I think he's a fantastic prospect as a pass rusher, although he needs smoothing out a bit. But I honestly don't know how he fits into a 34. There's no way he can play end, as he can't stand up against the run for ****. And at LB, that weakness get's exposed in coverage. If we had a top class front, and higher caliber talent around him, we could carry him and let him wreck havock on opposing QB's. The problem is, can we seriously afford to carry someone so one dimensional when we don't have that talent to carry him? Would I like to see Orakpo go? No. Would I be totally pissed off if they did decide to get a top end pick for him? Probably not for everything I've said above.

As regards Cooley, I don't want to see him go either man, He's my current favorite 'Skin. (Although Banks is FAST getting up there.). But with Davis sat behind, and the ******* mess the new regime walked into, we might be best served all round getting what we can whilst we still can.

Hail.

I agree. Makes me wonder how much we would be willing to give up. Last year Shanny was supposedly in love with Bradford. We were much closer to the number 1 pick than we will be this year and we didn't make a trade. I think we end up taking the best player available. Most likely a OLB, DL, or WR.

I have a feeling that if Shanny was in love with Bradford he will be at least as in love with Luck. I guess it really depends on who ends up with pick number 1, what we do in FA, and what we're willing to give up if we want to move to #1. The Rams were also pretty much dead set on taking Bradford. From what I remember they set the price almost ludicrously high for anyone who wanted to move up. Maybe Carolina would do that too, maybe they wouldn't. I just get a feeling they wouldn't be as attached to the pick as the Rams were to theirs. Carolina has so many problems it isn't even funny. The Rams had been getting younger and better on D and the OL already but they really just had absolutely NOBODY worth more than a ham sandwich to throw the ball. I think Carolina would be more likely to swap for picks and players (especially if there is a new regime) than the Rams were.

I doesn't have to be so absolutely one way or the other. Free agency could be crucial for rebuilding the Oline. Also, trading down can be difficult.

at least 2 years in a row now, people have been demanding we trade up to the #1 spot. THE #1 SPOT. The last time we traded up at all was for Campbell and people wanted heads to roll for that. So I see what you're saying, go more conservative and trade back. It would depend on our record, what other teams are doing, etc. Leave it up to Mr Allen.

And all the people demanding YET AGAIN that we MUST trade up to #1 for Luck need to stop. This team is no longer run like your Madden franchise.

I doesn't have to be so absolutely one way or the other. Free agency could be crucial for rebuilding the Oline. Also, trading down can be difficult.

at least 2 years in a row now, people have been demanding we trade up to the #1 spot. THE #1 SPOT. The last time we traded up at all was for Campbell and people wanted heads to roll for that. So I see what you're saying, go more conservative and trade back. It would depend on our record, what other teams are doing, etc. Leave it up to Mr Allen.

And all the people demanding YET AGAIN that we MUST trade up to #1 for Luck need to stop. This team is no longer run like your Madden franchise.

Then apparently Shanahan runs it like his Madden franchise? Last year they were doing quite a bit to try and move up to #1 by all accounts, but the Rams were pretty much dead set on going with Bradford and set the price to a ridiculous amount (we probably still amost did it).

There's no need to trade up for a QB. Skins will be picking high in the draft for the next several years. Pick the best available players (at positions on need) - I don't want a franchise QB behind the current Skins OLine.

Unbelievable that it took 41 posts before someone made any sense. Ive read cliche comments on here like, "Im glad you're not the GM, blah blah blah" , but throwing away multiple first day picks for anybody would be Vinny-like.

Besides, we just invested long term in McNabb. Plan on us building a line and acquiring some skill players in the next few years, which is the correct move. We'll draft a later round QB to groom while McNabb still has the keys. If said QB doesnt pan out, then look for us to try and take the top rated QB. Spending multiple picks on a player that needs to be surrounded by talent to be successful, when that talent doesnt exist, is just ignorant.

Then apparently Shanahan runs it like his Madden franchise? Last year they were doing quite a bit to try and move up to #1 by all accounts, but the Rams were pretty much dead set on going with Bradford and set the price to a ridiculous amount (we probably still amost did it).

Yea, well, Shannahan knows things we don't. He knows QBs, I'm guessing he worked out bradford/met him? and if he felt it was worth it to move up, then I'd agree with him.

I'm just saying some folks don't put much thought into it when they scream for the #1 pick. They want it every year.

Unbelievable that it took 41 posts before someone made any sense. Ive read cliche comments on here like, "Im glad you're not the GM, blah blah blah" , but throwing away multiple first day picks for anybody would be Vinny-like.

Besides, we just invested long term in McNabb. Plan on us building a line and acquiring some skill players in the next few years, which is the correct move. We'll draft a later round QB to groom while McNabb still has the keys. If said QB doesnt pan out, then look for us to try and take the top rated QB. Spending multiple picks on a player that needs to be surrounded by talent to be successful, when that talent doesnt exist, is just ignorant.

Ok, so again, what do you make of all the reports that Shanahan was apparently willing to give up multiple picks to move up to #1 last year, then? Is he now Vinny-like? Moving up for a player you really like and think would work out and fit with what you want to do as a coach isn't always a bad thing. Some of these guys do know what they're doing, and all. Were the Jets run by Vinny when they moved up to get Sanchez? Were they run by a bunch of arm chair GMs on a message board? No, they believed the picks and the risk could be worth the reward in the long run. They also used FA to bolster the rest of their team to help him. Seems they are doing ok.

I have a feeling we will make some moves in FA as far as OL goes. There will be a good amount of talent out there. I also find it funny that you blast people for their opinion on what to do in the draft since they are just armchair GMs who have no clue (most wouldn't hesitate to tell you they don't know anywhere near as much as pro scouts and coaches, but I digress), but then you tell us what to expect Shanahan and Allen to do and then say "which is the correct move".

Would be the best idea this off season.

Of course i'm being captain obvious here, but people need to realize old free agents won't make a quality team.

We need people like heyer to be on the practice squad and have quality 2nd rounders for back ups.

Trading our 1st for 2 second round picks would be ideal. This would get us a solid OG/C and a DT/LB

Maybe even a combination of things, 1st, 3rd, and 4th for 2nd, 2nd, 2nd, 6th

The point is: This team needs to do whatever it can to get multiple picks.

Not sure about that. The only way we should ever trade our 1st round draft choice is if we're not sure if he'll make an impact. Usually all players selected in the first round up until the 20th pick usually make some type of impact. In the case of getting more picks, maybe trade the second round draft choice for more picks. But not your first rounder, depending on where you draft.

Archived