Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

We Already Have More Wins This Year Than Last Year

UltimateSkins

With all the whining and complaining on these boards you'd think our team record was 2-10. Why does everyone expect Shanahan to turn a 4-12 team into a playoff contender instantly? That's simply not realistic and given the circumstances 5-7 really isn't that bad.

We've done alright so far given the current talent on the team and the injuries that have taken place and we will only get better as Shanahan and Allen are able to acquire the pieces they need in order to carry out their schemes. This whole thing is a process that's going to take 2-3 years. Try and be positive and take the good with the bad.

If I see another thread talking about how our 3-4 isn't working when we have the worst d-line in the league or how the offense can't score when guys like Heyer and Rabach are starting my head will explode. This whole thing isn't some quick fix. They are literally gutting the team from all the incompetency that was put together by Cerrato and building from the ground up with a limited amount of talent. Accept the reality of the situation or go root for another team. Blaming the coaches only makes you look like an impatient idiot.

I'm a Washington Redskins fan. Not a Shanahan fan or a Bruce Allen fan. I don't care if both of those guys decide to leave football tomorrow and take up careers as jazz musicians. At the end of the day it would change nothing for any of us. We'd still have a sorry team we can't stop caring about. What I see as a Redskins fan is a mistake in switching to the 3-4. Shanahan has rings and credibility and all that good stuff but like it or not the 3-4 didn't work and has been a colossal disaster. Lipstick isn't hiding the pig. Don't punk up and pretend otherwise because you see coaches as some mythical beings. They screwed up implementing the defense and now all of Redskins nation is talking about our talent level when last year we were talking about how much talent we had on defense. If Dallas had gone to last place after implementing a 3-4 there isn't a skins fan on this site that would be making excuses for their coaching staff.

One more win than last season with a clown at the helm and a QB that was subpar isn't a bright note.

I'm a Washington Redskins fan. Not a Shanahan fan or a Bruce Allen fan. I don't care if both of those guys decide to leave football tomorrow and take up careers as jazz musicians. At the end of the day it would change nothing for any of us. We'd still have a sorry team we can't stop caring about. What I see as a Redskins fan is a mistake in switching to the 3-4. Shanahan has rings and credibility and all that good stuff but like it or not the 3-4 didn't work and has been a colossal disaster. Lipstick isn't hiding the pig. Don't punk up and pretend otherwise because you see coaches as some mythical beings. They screwed up implementing the defense and now all of Redskins nation is talking about our talent level when last year we were talking about how much talent we had on defense. If Dallas had gone to last place after implementing a 3-4 there isn't a skins fan on this site that would be making excuses for their coaching staff.

Our defense last year wasn't even good. We were 15th overall, couldn't get turnovers, and could never stop anybody in the 4th quarter when we needed to the most. Look at all the good 3-4 teams out there like Green Bay, New England and Pittsburgh. Do you know what they have in common? They all have good defensive linemen. Right now, none of our current defensive linemen wouldn't be good enough to start on any other team in the league. Cry all you want for your 4-3 that would bend and eventually break, but it's not coming back!

It'd be one thing to be 5-7 while building toward something with a solid core of young talent. It's a completely other thing to be 5-7 while getting worse every single week with a team older than last year's.

+1

and three years leaves us with a QB a damn site closer to 40 than 30

You say we already have more wins, as if it's October. If a single more win in December blows your skirt up, more power to ya, I guess. I don't know if you've seen the last 5 weeks, but we've lost 4 out of 5 and haven't looked good in any of them. And the schedule doesn't get any easier. 1-3 in the last 4 is a distinct possibility, and going from 4 to 6 wins, while technically an improvement, isn't gonna automatically have me thinking this team is on the right track.

5 wins.

Wow.

How about this stat: 5 winning seasons in the last 18.

But you are right - Skins fans have no right to lose patience with the team.

I hate douche fans that tell other fans how to feel and how to root for their team. If a Skins fan wants to ***** about their team - especially one as disappointing as this one has been for 2 decades -then despite what your rules are, they should be able to.

One more win than last season with a clown at the helm and a QB that was subpar isn't a bright note.

/thread does anything else really need to be said?

5 wins.

Wow.

How about this stat: 5 winning seasons in the last 18.

But you are right - Skins fans have no right to lose patience with the team.

I hate douche fans that tell other fans how to feel and how to root for their team. If a Skins fan wants to ***** about their team - especially one as disappointing as this one has been for 2 decades -then despite what your rules are, they should be able to.

Amen. The OP has to be kidding himself. Has Redskins Nation really sunken to such a low that 5 wins is a positive thing!?!? That puts us about 1 step ahead of Detroit ("We're just happy to win A game!") Lions fans. Of course, since they beat us two years in a row, we're not really ahead of them, are we? I bet the Bills can't wait to take on us next year, huh?

With all the whining and complaining on these boards you'd think our team record was 2-10. Why does everyone expect Shanahan to turn a 4-12 team into a playoff contender instantly? That's simply not realistic and given the circumstances 5-7 really isn't that bad.

We've done alright so far given the current talent on the team and the injuries that have taken place and we will only get better as Shanahan and Allen are able to acquire the pieces they need in order to carry out their schemes. This whole thing is a process that's going to take 2-3 years. Try and be positive and take the good with the bad.

If I see another thread talking about how our 3-4 isn't working when we have the worst d-line in the league or how the offense can't score when guys like Heyer and Rabach are starting my head will explode. This whole thing isn't some quick fix. They are literally gutting the team from all the incompetency that was put together by Cerrato and building from the ground up with a limited amount of talent. Accept the reality of the situation or go root for another team. Blaming the coaches only makes you look like an impatient idiot.

The 2007 Miami Dolphins were a terrible 1-15 team that Bill Parcells retooled and remade the following season. In 2008 these Miami Dolphins were 11-5 and made the playoffs. Being 4-12 isn't an excuse for mediocrity to continue on. Yes, the Redskins have won more games this year than they did last year, but it took until past the halfway point in the season to achieve that which means something is lacking somewhere. There were a few games that got away like the Houston Texans game and so forth, and then there are games that should have been plainly won like the Rams game, the Lions game, Colts game, and Vikings game. So, in using the 2007 and 2008 Miami Dolphins as an example, there's no excuse for a team to continue losing..

One game improvement. This time last year, the Redskins won their 4th game. Currently, the Redskins have won only one of their last 5 games and your telling everyone to stop whining?

As I've said in MANY other threads, it's not about winning and losing. It's how we are not winning and how we are losing. I don't see any improvement in the little areas like the running game, the blocking and comitting penalties/turnovers on offense. We can't run the ball, we still score below 20 points a game and we still give up too many sacks. A couple of areas on offense I see an improvement on is the long ball and the escapability of McNabb.

On defense, we still can't tackle. We give up too much on the ground, too much in the air and our sacks have gone down. One area we've improved on is creating turnovers, but that has gone to pass in the last 5 games also.

One area I do see improvement is special teams. I wanted Danny Smith gone after last year, but the return game with Banks is great. Coverage teams (sans the Tennessee game) have been good, kickoffs have been good and the punting game has improved with Hunter back and Bidwell on the shelf. Gano needs to improve his FG percentage and I'd like to see better blocking on FGs/PATs, but overall I'm pretty satisfied with this unit.

I can take the losses, but we're still giving up late leads, still not scoring when down late and still finding new ways to lose. Throw in the 59 points given up and overall, it's embarrassing the way we lose. If I saw more improvement in other areas and see more effort on the field, I would be OK with losing this year.

It takes time to revamp a team. You cannot get rid of everyone year one. With no real FA'a available this past year, putting in a totally new system, and no grade A talent, what did you expect. This team is better and going in the right direction. Shanny is a winner it is as simple as that. Look at Parcell's it took him time also when taking over new teams. Look what the skins are working with on offense, what does any team worry about double teaming or rolling coverage to? The line is a work in progess. In Shanny's first year at the helm, the skins got their best Olinemen in god knows how many years, they got a big time playmaker on spec. teams. Now look for a big time playmaker to be added next year who actually when open catches the ball. The Haynesworth drama will be gone and everyone will know who is in control of this team (unlike in years past). This is a HoF coach who has a bigtime drive, playoffs are a mere year maybe 2 at most away. I for one see the light at the end of this tunnel.

Hmm we got spanked by the Rams and lost to the Lions. The offense which is supposed to be the Shanny's specialty, sucks and the only comeback followers of the Shanny cult can come up with is "it would be worse if Campbell or zorn were here."

The Shannys should be on just as short a leash as the kid who was just fired in Denver.

It takes time to revamp a team. You cannot get rid of everyone year one. With no real FA'a available this past year, putting in a totally new system, and no grade A talent, what did you expect. This team is better and going in the right direction. Shanny is a winner it is as simple as that. Look at Parcell's it took him time also when taking over new teams. Look what the skins are working with on offense, what does any team worry about double teaming or rolling coverage to? The line is a work in progess. In Shanny's first year at the helm, the skins got their best Olinemen in god knows how many years, they got a big time playmaker on spec. teams. Now look for a big time playmaker to be added next year who actually when open catches the ball. The Haynesworth drama will be gone and everyone will know who is in control of this team (unlike in years past). This is a HoF coach who has a bigtime drive, playoffs are a mere year maybe 2 at most away. I for one see the light at the end of this tunnel.

The circus-like fumbling and bumbling is what's discouraging people more than anything. If they have a plan, it's not immediately apparent. And whatever plan they're implementing, seems to have the grace of chimps on skates.

It's like the same stuff, different day.

---------- Post added December-8th-2010 at 02:15 PM ----------

I do feel like we wasted this year. We needed to completely gut this team and that should've started this year. I'll be fine with losing if I knew we were truely rebuilding. This year, we basically did everything to try to be competitive this year. We have seen that approach fail.

I do too. But I feel like if Shanahan finds a way to turn things around before he leaves town, there'll be people who'll say "See, I told you so!" He can turn the franchise around in the next couple years, and still have bungled this particular season.

Good defensive lineman maybe, what all the 3-4 defenses have in common are personel suited to play in that formation. the 3-4 is a more free roaming formation. you need more spped and agility and more aggresiveness. We convereted Alexander to OLB after we converted him to a lineman. You can't ask someone to gain 50 lbs and then ask them a year later to loose it and play in a 3-4 where the linebackers have a more important role. I'm not knocking Alexander I love the guy and think he's a hell of a player. We need dfensive players better suited for a 3-4 defense and it can't be done in less than a year. Oh and our pass defense has been horrible for years, it's just now the entire defense is horrible and i'm not sure Hasslet is the guy to get the job done.

Archived