Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why does it all come down to race with ESPN reporter Jemele Hill?

Dallascrushers

Because she's retarded. I read the article yesterday and it's full of opinions, inconsistencies and assumptions.

*Edit, here's the article:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/commentary/news/story?page=hill/101123

Has anyone else noticed all the drama surrounding black quarterbacks during this NFL season?

• Jason Campbell, who has been fighting for his job all season in Oakland, was benched for the second time this year against Pittsburgh on Sunday.

• Six-time Pro Bowler Donovan McNabb was replaced by Rex Grossman during the final 1:50 of a close game against the Detroit Lions earlier this month because Redskins coach Mike Shanahan claimed Grossman was better suited to run the team's two-minute offense. Shanahan questioned McNabb's "cardiovascular endurance."

• And on Sunday, Titans coach Jeff Fisher demoted Vince Young to benchwarmer after Young threw a tantrum following Tennessee's 19-16 loss to Washington. Although thumb surgery is the official reason Young's season is over, Fisher made it clear before he knew the severity of Young's injury that his 27-year-old quarterback was being removed as the starter.

In 2007, McNabb told HBO's "Real Sports" that black quarterbacks in the NFL face more pressure and tougher criticism than white quarterbacks do. The responses were predictable.

Racism is not an issue in the NFL.

Stop pulling the race card.

Quit whining.

But if you've paid attention to how some of the league's black quarterbacks have been treated this season, McNabb's words seem even truer now than they were three years ago.

I'm not calling anyone out for being racist, and I realize this might seem like an odd conversation to have considering that Michael Vick is on the cover of this week's Sports Illustrated and his comeback is one of the best sports stories of the year.

I'm also not overlooking the facts that Campbell played poorly in the games in which he was benched, that Young's antics in Tennessee are largely to blame for his problems with Fisher, and that Shanahan has had difficult relationships with plenty of white quarterbacks in the past.

But it still seems as if race is playing a role in how some black quarterbacks are treated, managed, perceived and, ultimately, judged.

The first time Campbell was benched this season was during halftime of the second game of the season.

The impatience the Raiders have shown with Campbell is stunning. They gave up a fourth-round pick to get him, and were convinced he was the answer after things went south with draft bust JaMarcus Russell, another black quarterback.

Campbell will start on Sunday against Miami, but it's baffling that he's still fighting with Bruce Gradkowski -- whose career record as a starter is 5-11 -- for the No. 1 job.

I know race doesn't completely explain the Raiders' treatment of Campbell or why he didn't work out for the Redskins. But Campbell's shortcomings are rarely clarified with the same perspective as some white quarterbacks.

You hear about his 25-35 record as a starter, but you don't hear that he's played for a different offensive coordinator in every season since the Redskins drafted him in the first round in 2005.

Most African-Americans are familiar with the notion that we have to be twice as good just to be considered equal with whites. And considering that there are only six black starting quarterbacks in the NFL, there isn't a lot of room for error.

Young and Fisher have had a number of problems over the years; and let's not pretend that Fisher, who I consider to be a good coach, is totally blameless.

Young is 30-17 as a starter, and you could argue that he saved Fisher's job last season after the coach reluctantly inserted Young into the starting lineup following the Titans' horrific 0-6 start.

As the starter, Young led the team to an 8-2 record down the stretch. Had he started the entire season, the Titans might have been a bigger threat to make the playoffs.

During his time in Tennessee, Young certainly has shown some immaturity. He sulks. He refused to re-enter a game because the fans were booing him. He got into an altercation in a strip club this past summer, reportedly because a man insulted his school, the University of Texas. His behavior, at times, has been inexcusable, and it has undermined his incredible talent.

But is it possible that some of Young's actions are a result of Fisher's lack of confidence, which has been a persistent issue since the Titans drafted Young against Fisher's wishes?

Fisher and Young had completely different accounts of what unfolded after Sunday's loss to the Redskins. Undoubtedly, Young didn't handle himself like a professional; but then again, I don't know of any quarterback who would be happy about being replaced by a third-stringer.

Young wanted to play despite a busted thumb. If Brett Favre had done that, we'd say he was being fiercely competitive.

But this is Vince Young, so he's being a brat.

I don't question whether black quarterbacks receive opportunities in the NFL, because it's obvious they do. But how fair are those opportunities? Despite all the progress that's been made by black quarterbacks, why does it still seem as if they are held to a different standard?

"Any franchise Caucasian quarterback will get unlimited opportunities to realize their potential," says Shaun King, an African-American who quarterbacked the Tampa Bay Bucs to the NFC Championship Game in 1999. "If Jay Cutler left Chicago, and even if he played badly, he's always going to be viewed as a franchise QB. For African-Americans, their value is strictly tied to their current performance. It's tough to stick up for Vince Young because his immaturity has been a consistent issue, but a Caucasian QB that has been as successful as Vince Young wouldn't be pulled as much as him."

In that interview with HBO, McNabb said this about quarterbacks Carson Palmer and Peyton Manning: "Let me start by saying I love those guys. But they don't get criticized as much as we do. They don't."

He's right. Manning has a Hall of Fame résumé and is one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the position. But he isn't facing an avalanche of criticism from the fans and media for the interception against the Patriots on Sunday that ended the Colts' comeback attempt and sealed the game for New England.

Manning accepted responsibility for the mistake, of course. But had that been McNabb, the reaction would have been downright vitriolic.

People are still searching for ways to blame newcomer Terrell Owens for the Bengals' disappointing 2-8 season, even though Palmer has guided the Bengals to only two winning seasons and hasn't won a playoff game during his seven years in Cincinnati.

So why doesn't Palmer get the Jason Campbell treatment? Why isn't he labeled an underachiever like McNabb?

Palmer and Manning certainly have been criticized, but rarely in their careers have they faced the same microscope or backlash that McNabb, Vick, or most other black starting quarterbacks have.

The late Steve McNair and the Titans had such a bad relationship at one point that the organization locked him out of the Titans' facility. On Tuesday, according to a report out of Nashivlle, Young showed up at the Titans' practice facility and was asked to leave.

"When you're an African-American president, you have to be mentally tough. If you're an African-American heading American Express, you have to be mentally tough," says Doug Williams, who is still the only black quarterback to win a Super Bowl (for the Redskins in 1987.) "It's a lot of stuff we kick under the rug. As an African-American, there's just some credit you're not going to get."

And there's a certain amount of respect black quarterbacks still can't seem to earn.

McNabb, who despite being an 11-year veteran who has been to five NFC title games, had to listen to his coach essentially call him too out of shape and simpleminded to run his offense.

McNabb, by the way, has led 17 fourth-quarter comebacks and 25 game-winning drives in his career.

I'm not saying black quarterbacks are above criticism or that race plays a role every time one of them loses his job. White quarterbacks are benched and second-guessed, too, same as black ones. It comes with the position, regardless of race.

But if most of us agree that racism is still an issue in this country, how can we dismiss its influence in sports?

The history of black quarterbacks in the NFL isn't pretty. Things have come a long way since Williams played, but it would be foolish to think that lingering perceptions and biases don't still exist. Let's not forget that while Vick was imprisoned for dogfighting, more than a few analysts suggested he should change his position when he returned to the field. That's what NFL scouts once told Warren Moon he had to do if he wanted to be drafted at all.

After McNabb made his comments to HBO, Campbell and Young were quick to say they didn't feel like race was a factor in how they were perceived.

I wonder if they feel that way now.

Jemele Hill can be reached at jemeleespn@gmail.com.

These articles are dumb, and quite honestly I don't waste any time when someone starts pulling the race card. This country is more equal than it's ever been.. Not saying that the stuff still doesnt' happen til this day.. but it certainly doesn't happen in the NFL where 90% of the players are black.

UnWise Mike and Jemele Hill.. you're dumb.

These articles are dumb, and quite honestly I don't waste any time when someone starts pulling the race card. This country is more equal than it's every been.. Not saying that the stuff still doesnt' happen til this day.. but it certainly doesn't happen in the NFL where 90% of the players are black.

UnWise Mike and Jemele Hill.. you're dumb.

You can add Jason Whitlock to that list too since he loves to pull the race card in any given situation

I saw the article on espn.com and in the headline, they showed the pictures of Campbell, McNabb, and VinceYoung. Thats all I needed to see. Campbell and Young are critiscized because they aren't good QB's. When you stink it up, you are going to face critiscism. Garrard and Vick are having good seasons, it seems like the media for the most part is on Vick's side, which isn't surprising, but ironic, for obvious reasons.

McNabb has always been critiscized because of the failure to bring a SB to Philly, and his inconsistency throwing the football. Campbell, nuff said. Race edefinitely is an issue,and will always be, but I do not think it applies in this situation,in the eyes of their respective teams at least. Some fans are going to be dbags, and that isn't going to change.

I saw the article on espn.com and in the headline, they showed the pictures of Campbell, McNabb, and VinceYoung. Thats all I needed to see. Campbell and Young are critiscized because they aren't good QB's. When you stink it up, you are going to face critiscism. Garrard and Vick are having good seasons, it seems like the media for the most part is on Vick's side, which isn't surprising, but ironic, for obvious reasons.

McNabb has always been critiscized because of the failure to bring a SB to Philly, and his inconsistency throwing the football. Campbell, nuff said. Race edefinitely is an issue,and will always be, but I do not think it applies in this situation,in the eyes of their respective teams at least. Some fans are going to be dbags, and that isn't going to change.

Don't see how anyone could sum it up better then that...Excellent post. Ms Hill certainly doesn't help her case by refering to Jamarcus Russell when speaking of Campbell...I believe I also read that Campbell is expected to start this Sunday which means they probably just pulled him to keep him from taking any more of a beating.

If it's racism when a black player is benched, what is it when a player of any other race is benched?

It's nothing, because she won't write about it.

As others have pointed out, I don't see anyone lumping Garrard or Vick or Josh Freeman in this bag.

In fact, she could write a story about how the NFL reached out and gave Vick a second chance to succeed, and he has. But since he's a success, it doesn't fit her agenda of race based complaining.

She could write about David Garrard overcoming years of being the second stringer, and now that he's the starter the Jags are not only a pretty good team, but a pretty good offense. (Except that he was behind another black QB, so no Bad Whitey angle to hook.)

She could write about how Raheem Morris and Josh Freeman are succeding in Tampa, but again theres no Bad Whitey angle there, they were both chosen for their ability and given the opportunity to succeed, so she won't even notice that as a possible story.

None of these stories even occur to her, I bet. And if they do, the fact that she brushes them aside to constantly focus on the racism she perceives says more about her than anything else she says or does.

~Bang

In the 14 seasons since the Tenessee Titans moved from Houston, they've had a black starting QB for 13 of them, and this is an organization that has a problem with black QBs?

I do find it interesting that Carson Palmer has not been labelled an underachiever, but then again, neither was McNair who never actually won anything in his 13 year career. All I remember the media saying about him was that he was one tough SOB (which I happen to agree with, by the way.)

And let's not suggest Brett Favre's antics haven't caught up with him. Anyone read Sally Jenkins' piece today?

I'm glad someone called out this type of "journalism" today...it bothers me so much. I hate when people build in excuses for people. No one blinks an eye when white players are replaced or benched. In the NFL today, I don't believe race is an issue at all. Owners, GMs, and coaches are a little too distracted by....TRYING TO WIN.

I'm glad someone called out this type of "journalism" today...it bothers me so much. I hate when people build in excuses for people. No one blinks an eye when white players are replaced or benched. In the NFL today, I don't believe race is an issue at all. Owners, GMs, and coaches are a little too distracted by....TRYING TO WIN.

Exactly! If you are in the NFL, you are in the business of winning, PERIOD. Coaches, gm's, they're all on the hotseat constantly, I do no tthink for one second that they'd be willing to throw their careers down the toilet because they don't approve of someones skin color, it's stupid, absolutely stupid.

The real problem is in college football, especially in the SEC Conference, but no one wants to talk about that, they'd rather stick to pro sports. It is unbelievably ignorant.

It's just like this guy.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/340230-dexter-rogers

Yeah, I know it's Bleacher Report, but the mere knowledge of people like this out in the world gives me little hope for the survival of our species.

Edit: I give you an excerpt of his work.

To me Shanahan’s comments were insensitive and reek with racial undertones. He is suggesting McNabb doesn’t have the intellectual capacity to run the two-minute offense, nor does he have the physical ability to perform at crunch time. What is even more appalling is Shanahan’s comments are not being condemned in the mass media.

Don’t give me this garbage about what Shanahan meant to say either. He said what he said, and it was very embarrassing to McNabb whether he will admit it publicly or not.

Listening to Shanahan’s words took me back to a time where African-American quarterbacks were not getting opportunities because of racism.

And then he goes on to list things that happened to black quarterbacks. In the 60s and 70s.

In the 14 seasons since the Tenessee Titans moved from Houston, they've had a black starting QB for 13 of them, and this is an organization that has a problem with black QBs?

I do find it interesting that Carson Palmer has not been labelled an underachiever, but then again, neither was McNair who never actually won anything in his 13 year career. All I remember the media saying about him was that he was one tough SOB (which I happen to agree with, by the way.)

And let's not suggest Brett Favre's antics haven't caught up with him. Anyone read Sally Jenkins' piece today?

I've read/heard a lot of criticism toward Carson Palmer this season. I was surprised that she mentioned him. I've watched a couple of Bengals games this year and the commentators as say the same things...that Palmer doesn't look good out there/he should be making more plays considering his weapons, etc.

It's just like this guy.

http://bleacherreport.com/users/340230-dexter-rogers

Yeah, I know it's Bleacher Report, but the mere knowledge of people like this out in the world gives me little hope for the survival of our species.

Edit: I give you an excerpt of his work.

And then he goes on to list things that happened to black quarterbacks. In the 60s and 70s.

Well, I was alright with his page until I saw his Most Unbreakable Record...can't agree with 11 NBA titles. Wayne Gretzky's points record is much more unbreakable.

Anyone who thinks that racism in society and the NFL is in the reaview mirror is fooling themsleves. As someone who heard many Redskin fan call Doug Williams NI**** in RFK you can stop with that talk.

As for Vince Young its more being a pampered athlete his entire professional career including his time at Texas. Its obvius that his spuuort system has failed him.

As for Ms. Hill I commend her for her courage for calling this out. Her comments section has been filled with douchebag vitriol for her entire tenure, but hey she pulled the race card.

Racism does not go away cuz a few ES posters says so.

If it's racism when a black player is benched, what is it when a player of any other race is benched?

Reverse Racism????

Seriously though, J.Hill makes little sense on this one. She's trying too hard to find something to link to racism.

I couldn't stand her for the longest time until she was one of the few sports journalist that stuck up for Sean Taylor when he was murdered. This was one of the few times that I agreed with her. Matter of fact, it was probably the only time.

Racism does not go away cuz a few ES posters says so.

Who here is saying racism has gone away? In my post, I was referring to the teams perspective on the matter, its all about winning. I don't think anyone here is saying that racism isn't an issue in society, and in some fans perceptions of the players.

Archived