Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Looking for great over the counter supplements for working out. Any ideas?

pR0JEkT 21

That sounds like a great workout. Ever notice the difference between sprinters and long distance runners? Those sprinters aren't burning the sugar. ;)

I don't understand your comment. Sprinters are burning glycogen just like a distance runner predominantly would be in an interval workout. The difference for sprinters is that often they aren't burning enough of it. Maybe that's what you meant.

Do your own research and be patient. Keep in mind your goals and decide if you think a supplement is what you want to help you out. I've used and them for many years,(mostly just a whey protein),and not used them for many years. I still do right now simply because,(and I've stated this many times before),it's convenient and cheaper than eating a similar amount of food. That's just me though. Like I said. Do your own research based on goals and such and come up with your own opinion.

I like mixing up the classic HIIT and Tabata these days. That and barbell/dumbell complexes. One I do right now is a mixed bag. The indoor track at the rec center is 1/9 of a mile. I'll run a lap,walk,(fast),a lap then do it again. Then I run the straightaways and walk the turns for a few laps. I tend to do just that because of the intensity. Other days or weeks I may do Tabata with the jump rope,thrusters and follow that up with plyos. All kinds of stuff. Keep it changing and keep it fun. :)

OP, the best possible advice you can get is to go to a local gym, and talk with a personal trainer.

I don't necessarily agree with this either. A lot of personal trainers don't know what they're talking about. Not to mention a lot will try to give you diet advice when they're not properly qualified to do so.

I don't necessarily agree with this either. A lot of personal trainers don't know what they're talking about. Not to mention a lot will try to give you diet advice when they're not properly qualified to do so.

A lot of that most likely depends on the quality of gym you go to, I am a member at Golds Gym, and yes, they aren't perfect, but for the most part they know what they're talking about.

I think it's freakin hilarious walking by some of the personal trainers at our gym. Some of them are really good, some of them not so much. Either way they always have someone who hasn't seen the inside of a gym in their life, and that person is gone within a couple of weeks. I have never, ever seen someone stick just because of a personal trainer. The only way you ever make it in the gym is if you wanna make it, plus most of the workouts these trainers have you do are common sense.

Don't use too much weight, have good form, focus on the areas you would like to improve in, lol, basics.

A lot of that most likely depends on the quality of gym you go to, I am a member at Golds Gym, and yes, they aren't perfect, but for the most part they know what they're talking about.

Yeah none are perfect, but I really think the amount of personal trainers who think they know everything really give you a mixed bag when you randomly select one from a gym. I have a nutritionist that I work with, don't need much else.

Yeah none are perfect, but I really think the amount of personal trainers who think they know everything really give you a mixed bag when you randomly select one from a gym. I have a nutritionist that I work with, don't need much else.

Yeah I don't need one either, but for the absolutely clueless middle aged New Years Resolution guys that are due to come flooding in there in a couple months, you have to start somewhere. :pfft:

Yeah I don't need one either, but for the absolutely clueless middle aged New Years Resolution guys that are due to come flooding in there in a couple months, you have to start somewhere. :pfft:

lol, my favorite time of year, they always make me feel better that I'm in a bulking phase

cell-tech.

NO, BAD MONKEY NO!

I used to like muscletech....not so much anymore

So what type of workout would work best for me. I'm 5'11" 170. Its really hard for me to gain weight. Seriously. I eat fast food 2-3 a day and drink tons of beer. I have a bit of a beer belly but other than that I'm lean everywhere else. Obviously not very healthy.

In the past when I'd workout/eat healthy I'd eat 4-5 small healthy meals (tuna, chicken breast, brocolli, oatmeal) a day and a protein shake after my workouts. I would always see improvments in strength but not much in the muscle mass area.

I would generally do a whole body workout mon, wed, fri consisting of roughly 2 exercises for each muscle group and 3 sets of 8-10 reps each.

I'm going to get back onto my health kick and want to see what some suggestions would be to gain some real muscle mass.

I use Dorian Yates Tempro in combination with Iso-Sensation 93. I do think using a combination of proteins is the right way to go e.g. milk protein isolate/micellar casein + whey concentrate + whey isolate + egg albumin/isolate + whey hydrolysate.

I also use caffeine free nitric oxide supplements and DHEA. Cutting the caffeine IMO is key and will help you getting rid of abdominal fat with the DHEA. My experience anyway.

Add a QUALITY multi-vitamin/mineral along with quality fats and extra antioxidants.

So what type of workout would work best for me. I'm 5'11" 170. Its really hard for me to gain weight. Seriously. I eat fast food 2-3 a day and drink tons of beer. I have a bit of a beer belly but other than that I'm lean everywhere else. Obviously not very healthy.

In the past when I'd workout/eat healthy I'd eat 4-5 small healthy meals (tuna, chicken breast, brocolli, oatmeal) a day and a protein shake after my workouts. I would always see improvments in strength but not much in the muscle mass area.

I would generally do a whole body workout mon, wed, fri consisting of roughly 2 exercises for each muscle group and 3 sets of 8-10 reps each.

I'm going to get back onto my health kick and want to see what some suggestions would be to gain some real muscle mass.

To gain muscle mas (aka hypertrophy) you need to do low reps, high weight and only workout twice a week or so. 6 small meals a day is more adequate. Whey protein of course and casein protein if you want (it's a slower releasing protein).

The keys are:

You are going to need to eat 500-1,000 more calories than you normally do per day. You need to focus on low reps and near your max weight you can do and give your muscles plenty of days to recoop. What you eat on the rest days are almost more important than the workouts themselves...almost.

To gain muscle mas (aka hypertrophy) you need to do low reps, high weight and only workout twice a week or so. 6 small meals a day is more adequate. Whey protein of course and casein protein if you want (it's a slower releasing protein).

You'll probably want to ttrain 3-4 times per week... Check out Bill Starr's 5x5, Jim Wendler's 5/3/1, Louie Simmons' and his Westside Barbell Splits, Boris Sheiko's program, and Block Periodization or the best beginner program Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe.

The keys are:

You are going to need to eat 500-1,000 more calories than you normally do per day. You need to focus on low reps and near your max weight you can do and give your muscles plenty of days to recoop. What you eat on the rest days are almost more important than the workouts themselves...almost.

I think thats my problem. Since I already intake so many calories with the bad food I eat when I start eating healthy I dont get near the same amount. Is there any healthy food high in calories? I find that when I start eating healthy i get a headache and feel sluggish. Probably because my body is so used to such a high calorie/high sugar diet.

Creatine mono is great for getting size combined with glutamine, protein shake is a must immediately after working out, but make sure you get a good protein NO MUSCLE MILK. Xtend Scivation are BCAAs that you drink while working out (watermelon is money) and seriously help your recovery from the workout. Other than that drink a ton of water, I'm at a little over 4 liters a day right now, it'll keep you shedding unwanted weight.

Archived