Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

McNabb doesn't play defense...

Renegade7

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

McNabb was not even close to being the problem tonight. The McNabb extension should not even be a topic for discussion this week. All that we should be talking about is Haslett and his defense, and what is going to be done about that problem.

Oh please. Like all of those 3-and-outs to start the game had no effect on Philly's ability to score? Or his interceptions? Did the Redskins convert even a single 3rd down?

McNabb is burnt toast. As is Shanahan. Haslett is an idiot, always was. And Bruce Allen got his job because of his name. This whole organization is rotten to the core.

You're playing semantics with this "up until this game" BS. Philly dropped 45 on us in the first half, no ones done that to us in 70 years. As of right now, this is OFFICIALLY the worst defense in the NFL. Oakland is #6. Please, just stop it already. You come across as having a vendetta, which makes me not wanna debate with you...

Not picking and choosing. One game can affect the stats, but they don't affect other games. Coming into this game, McNabb was 4-4 and Campbell 4-2, with defenses that had performed basically even (apart from the extremely simplistic overall yards stats, which are what they are largely because McNabb can't convert any 3rd downs). You want to give him a free pass for tonight? Doesn't change the first half of the season. And acting like the stats change because of the one terrible game by the Skins D somehow means Campbell has been getting more help from his D? Weak.

Campbell is nothing special, but he's at least been somewhat competent so far this year, unlike McNabb.

:ols: @ you picking and choosing

Tonight's game did not change Oakland from being 2nd in the league in pass defense and overall being better on yards allowed and time on the field

So they're good at yards allowed in certain aspects...and at least good at getting turnovers, and you're comparing that to a team that has ALWAYS been ranked 31st in pass defense despite some turnovers?(Most of which is compiled into a single game). Really???

We do need to do better on 3rd downs..but when you're 31st ranked in pass defense and you've allowed long drives...when you allow 28 points in the 1st quarter and give up a 17 point lead in the 4th....etc. etc., it says that the defense has HUGE issues compared to others. Period..

Just stop responding to me, please. You have serious, serious problems with basic reasoning, and it's not worth wasting my time with you.

Oh please. Like all of those 3-and-outs to start the game had no effect on Philly's ability to score? Or his interceptions? Did the Redskins convert even a single 3rd down?

McNabb is burnt toast. As is Shanahan. Haslett is an idiot, always was. And Bruce Allen got his job because of his name. This whole organization is rotten to the core.

We were down 35-0 about two minutes into the 2nd quarter. Donovan doesn't play defense, and Donovan didn't call the plays. The game quickly spiraled out of control. Sometimes, they go this way.

The vitriol in your post I think shows that you are are far from ready to have a serious, realistic discussion about the team. I've had my times where I've been upset and angry beyond believe also, and while I'm certainly upset about the game. I'm trying to be as objective as possible right now. Anything else is a waste of energy.

and as far as his interceptions tonight, two of them really weren't his fault. The third one was.

The fact is Donovan could have been on fire tonight, and it really wouldn't have mattered. This was far from his worst game this season. The defense could not stop Vick. I don't think any defense could have stopped Vick tonight.

and as far as his interceptions tonight, two of them really weren't his fault. The third one was.

The fact is Donovan could have been on fire tonight, and it really wouldn't have mattered. This was far from his worst game this season. The defense could not stop Vick. I don't think any defense could have stopped Vick tonight.

HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah, because Michael Vick is suddenly Steve Young, John Elway and Peyton Manning all rolled into one.

Please, "any" defense could have stopped Michael Vick. Or at least held him to, say 4 touchdowns. Not our defense, though. And our offense sure as hell did a lousy job of keeping him off the field. EVERYBODY stunk tonight, and EVERYBODY should be accountable.

We were down 35-0 about two minutes into the 2nd quarter. Donovan doesn't play defense, and Donovan didn't call the plays. The game quickly spiraled out of control. Sometimes, they go this way.

The vitriol in your post I think shows that you are are far from ready to have a serious, realistic discussion about the team. I've had my times where I've been upset and angry beyond believe also, and while I'm certainly upset about the game. I'm trying to be as objective as possible right now. Anything else is a waste of energy.

Apparently, you weren't paying attention. No, things don't just "go this way". The Redskins 28 point deficit after the fist quarter was a league record for a home team, and this league has been around for a while.

THIS GAME WAS A 1ST ORDER DISASTER. It doesn't get any more realistic than that.

By the way, here's a blind QB comparison...

QB A: 222 pass yards/game, 59.1 completion%, 9 TDs, 9 INTs, 75.0 passer rating

QB B: 252 pass yards/game, 57.1 completion%, 9 TDs, 11 INTs, 75.2 passer rating

QB B is Donovan McNabb. His doppelganger? None other than the great Alex Smith. That's the kind of QB play we're getting. Right on par with a guy who was benched in favor of Baltimore's ex-3rd string signal caller.

Not picking and choosing. One game can affect the stats, but they don't affect other games. Coming into this game, McNabb was 4-4 and Campbell 4-2, with defenses that had performed basically even (apart from the extremely simplistic overall yards stats, which are what they are largely because McNabb can't convert any 3rd downs). You want to give him a free pass for tonight? Doesn't change the first half of the season. And acting like the stats change because of the one terrible game by the Skins D somehow means Campbell has been getting more help from his D? Weak.

Campbell is nothing special, but he's at least been somewhat competent so far this year, unlike McNabb.

I started this thread because I felt Vick pretty much beat us by himself and there was nothing McNabb could do about it. Where you're taking this like a DMac apology thread is not what I'm about or this thread is about. I personally feel Oakland is a better overall team then the redskins, both talent-wise, utilization of talent, and overall product on the field. DMac is having one of his worst seasons in his career, no denying that. But this was one of his best games as a redskin, sadly the talent around him could not help us stay in this football game.

This isn't about stats or placing the blame on anyone; this is about that I feel we have a QB that can win us games, but he needs help. Throwing him in the trash and starting over again is just going to set us back even further considering the numerous holes on this team, particularly the o-line. I love JC, but DMac is throwing for more yards per game, has a better completion % right now, better yards per pass, 2nd in the league in 40+ yard pass plays, and believe it or not running the 14th ranked pass offense in the league. That's not pro-bowl, and we aren't winning like I wish we were, but that's not incompetent and certainly more productive then Jason Campbell.

Same with JC and most QBs, DMac can't do **** on his back. And I'm not going to throw him under the bus when he's the best QB we've had in almost a decade, we were 4-12 last year, and still haven't really added anymore talent to the roster. And I'm not going to blame DMac and the offense's failure to convert 3rd downs for being down 35-0 a couple minutes into the 2nd quarter (is it too hard to ask for a 0-0 first quarter?). That just doesn't make sense to me.

We have a lot of work to do, but QB for the first time in a while is not or main weakness. That's just my opinion, and I feel I'm not alone in that regard, either...

In order to trail 35-0 the offense needs to have the ball at least 4 times. And if I'm not mistaken, the Redskins first four possesions went 3-&-out, 3-&-out, interception (on the thrid play!), 3-&-out. Just like McNabb doesn't play defense, the defense had nothing to do with the offense's complete inability to move the football 10 freakin' yards on 4 separate occasions. The numbers do not lie. Donovan McNabb = Alex Smith.

This Eagles team is not that good and the Redskins aren't as bad. The Redskins have a personnel problem. Once they get certain holes filled, they'll be a much better team. They've been in every game this season at some point except this game. To lose by 31 points on your own home field is pitiful. Just pitiful.....

I don't buy it we didn't lose this game because of the McNabb signing. We needed the QB position sewn up for a while so we can focus on putting the pieces in place. Look at the Jets, Falcons, Ravens, what do they have in common? Recent attention to the OL and in numbers. That's why their young QBs succeed. Look at Big Ben, his Oline is like ours was last year injured, badly, and he got shellacked by the Pats pass rush last game.

We've got the QB in place for the foreseeable future, so now we can focus on positions of real need, WR, OL. I think we need a Guard or Center before we worry about Right Tackle, if we can retain both heyer and jamal brown, I know they aren't the best, but until we can get some better play out of the interior the book ends won't matter. IMO. It may take 3 years to do it too, s Basically I see a 4 year plan where year 4 we draft a RB or QB depending upon who is available.

I don't think anyone is blaming McNabb for last night.

Having said that, acquiring him and then giving him an extension was a mistake. We are just too filled with holes to waste picks and cash on a 34 year old QB.

I will say though that you had a point up until yesterday. McNabb didn't have a choice to be here. He was traded. So to blame him for the offensive woes was unfair. But he now has chosen to accept this huge contract to stay here. So the burden is on him to earn that money and elevate this offense. The excuse that he doesn't have talent around him isn't gonna fly anymore. He's paid like a franchise QB, if he continues to not play like one, he deserves to get ripped.

Two things of concern: 1) Haslett and his "D" and, 2) the O-line. The defense is just giving up too much. We have too good a talent for us to look like that. Get rid of Haslett. Just like last year with Campbell, McNabb is having the same problem....no time to go through his progressions. He's constantly running for his life just to get rid of the ball. Maybe a couple of times last night did I see McNabb able to stand in the pocket for 3 seconds. We looked horrible! Give McNabb a line and things will get better. Hell look at JC now. That o-line he has is much better than what we have and they/he's won 3 in-a-row.

The team is going through a rebuilding phase. From 4-12 last year the Redskins still have some holes to fill. Once those holes are filled, this team will be better than it is now.

how do you rebuild without draft picks ? not by signing 38 yr old wide receivers and 34 yr old qbs and signing arena football players

Please end the convo with them.

Let everyone simmer down for a couple of days and then come back in a rational state of mind.

The first drive was all run plays. The 2nd drive was 2 run plays and ONE pass play...the third drive was 3 pass plays. McNabb completed 2 passes and on his 3rd pass it went off Santana Moss's hands. Interception

Either way...when have you EVER seen a team dominate another team like that? The Redskins are not the only team ever to not score on their opening drive so try being realistic and fair. The Redskins defense simply got owned and there is no way in hell you're gonna convince anyone that that slaughter was on the offense.That doesn't happen even with offenses that struggle

While I agree it was time for McNabb to leave Philly, the Skins' lack of success this year is not totally on McNabb. What weapons have they given McNabb? A 98 year old (in football years) Galloway? Ryan Torrain? Not enough to be successful. McNabb is no spring chicken and can't put the team on his shoulders as he did early in Philly with the likes of Thrash and Pinkston.

Just stop responding to me, please. You have serious, serious problems with basic reasoning, and it's not worth wasting my time with you.

That's because basic reasoning for you is anti-McNabb logic. Nothing but McNabb bashing will suit you

I clearly pointed out to you that the Skins defense numbers were not changed yet by one terrible game. I laid out facts...and the facts were that Oakland's pass defense is ranked 2nd. Their rushing game is on point....and they have young speedy receivers with potential. Unfortunately, you don't wanna hear anything else besides blaming McNabb for everything

By the way, here's a blind QB comparison...

QB A: 222 pass yards/game, 59.1 completion%, 9 TDs, 9 INTs, 75.0 passer rating

QB B: 252 pass yards/game, 57.1 completion%, 9 TDs, 11 INTs, 75.2 passer rating

QB B is Donovan McNabb. His doppelganger? None other than the great Alex Smith. That's the kind of QB play we're getting. Right on par with a guy who was benched in favor of Baltimore's ex-3rd string signal caller.

More narrow minded logic. You might as well call David Garrard a top 5 QB at this point. Anyone who's watched Alex Smith and watched McNabb and gave an honest assessment would be able to see the difference. That's just pure ignorance, especially considering the nature of some of those interceptions

If I so chose...I could analyze McNabb's game against the Eagles and Peyton Manning's game against the Eagles and then ask....if Manning with Reggie Wayne and a great O-line struggled...what did you expect McNabb to do?

Archived