Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis: Will he make a difference? *UPDATE: Portis to start vs. Titans.*

s0crates

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

UPDATE #2: Portis will play this Sunday agiant the Titans! How will he play?

Sorry to be the thread necromancer, but rather than start another "How will Portis play?" thread, I thought we could continue the discussion in this one.

I would like to discuss Clinton Portis. I did a search and the only thread I found on the topic was about Portis' wardrobe, so I thought starting this thread would be appropriate. In particular I want to ask two questions:

1) Will CP be back for the Philly game on Monday?

Portis is practicing, and it sounds like he feels ready, but Shannahan remains noncommital about whether or not he will play. I understand we do not want to rush him back and risk re-injury, but I think his return would really help our struggling offense. Which leads to my second question.

2) Will CP's return make a significant impact?

I want to say yes it will. Our line has been sub-par in pass-pro, but they have been improving in the run game. We all know that Portis is a good blocker, and he could really help us deal with the blitzes, I think this would be the main benefit of his return. Also, I am eager to see how productive he can be in the run game, as our line is doing a nice job of setting the edge, and Portis still has the quickness to take advantage of that. In sum, I suspect he will not only be a big help to the passing game, but he will be more productive on the ground as well.

Thoughts?

EDIT: I decided to add a poll. Simple yes-no question: Do you think Portis will play well when he returns?

UPDATE: Portis is listed as inactive for tonight's game against Philly, so the question of whether or not he will play is answered. The question of how he will play when he returns still remains. We may also ask when we can expect him to be back.

I'd b shocked if he is even dressed for this game. We are always floating "this guy might play" and "this one seems hurt" and then the one who is likely to go doesn't and the one who was injured is starting. More than any other coach it appears Shanny likes these head-games. I don't see portis playing this Monday.

OK guys, I appreciate the feedback and all, but I was hoping for something a bit more substantial than "he will stink up the joint" or "advantage Torrain."

First of all, I am not convinced that Portis has lost his running ability. The last time he was healthy and our offensive line was playing decently, in the early part of 2008, Portis was very productive.

Second of all, and this was one of my main points, I think Portis will be a huge help in pass protection. What about that?

In the running game, he really won't do any better than Keiland Williams, besides the occasional stumbling 12 yard stumbling scamper. In the passing game, he is simply one of the, if no the, best pass blocking backs in the NFL, so we should see some improvement on 3rd down efficiency.

In short, start Torrain and let him have the bulk of the carries. Use Portis to spell Torrain and use him on 3rd downs for blocking.

OK guys, I appreciate the feedback and all, but I was hoping for something a bit more substantial than "he will stink up the joint" or "advantage Torrain."

First of all, I am not convinced that Portis has lost his running ability. The last time he was healthy and our offensive line was playing decently, in the early part of 2008, Portis was very productive.?

I think you're delusional. If you are looking for a rah-rah session on Portis, I doubt you're going to get it. We all appreciate his contributions over the years but he is nowhere near the back he was 3 or even 2 years ago. His balance is probably the worst in the NFL among any back. He doesn't have the straight ahead speed, and he is constantly tripping over himself. That's not "hate", that's fact. Happens to lots of rb's, Portis is no different. :whoknows:

If your point is that Portis would be successful if the line can plow huge lanes for him, well, I'm not sure that's much of an argument.

*edit* Yes, he will be an asset in pass protection, as always.

Portis loses his balance after he makes his initial cut in the zbs. Torrain doesn't. Advantage Torrain
Looked to me like Portis makes faster cuts, but Torrain has more of a burst and more lbs to throw at a tackler afterwards.

We'd definitely be better with both of them, than just one of them.

I did not mean for this conversation to be about Portis v. Torain so much as about whether or not Portis would make an impact on offense, but I suppose the question of who is the better option is relevant. Since it came up, I will go ahead and post a statistical comparison for reference.

Torain is averaging 4.3 yards per carry, while Portis is averaging 4.0 yards per carry.

Torain is averaging 6.9 yards per reception, while Portis is averaging 10.3 yards per reception.

Torain has 99 touches, while Portis has 52 touches (We should keep this in mind for the last two stats).

Torain has 4 TD's, while Portis has 2 TD's.

Torain has 2 fumbles, while Portis has none.

It is not clear to me from these numbers that Torain is a much better options than CP. Torain has been slightly more productive in the ground game, but has fumbled more often, and Portis has been slightly better in the pass game. I am inclined to say that one is not much better than the other, but that they bring different skill-sets to the position, each of which we can utilize. I think HailGreen28 is right, we should use them both in some type of time-share situation, and we will be better off when they are both available, especially considering how thin we were at the RB position last week

This still leaves me with my original question though: Will Portis' return make a difference? At the least, I would say having the added option cannot hurt. I am inclined to go further and say that having Portis back will make our offense more productive.

I did not mean for this conversation to be about Portis v. Torain so much as about whether or not Portis would make an impact on offense, but I suppose the question of who is the better option is relevant. Since it came up, I will go ahead and post a statistical comparison for reference.

At this stage of his career, Portis is average to below average compared to others around the league. When you factor in his durability, probably well below average.

Having said that, he is probably better than Williams. And having an extra body, for blocking if nothing else, should help.

He just needs to stand behind Rabach, and that can help a little.

First of all, I am not convinced that Portis has lost his running ability. The last time he was healthy and our offensive line was playing decently, in the early part of 2008, Portis was very productive.

Second of all, and this was one of my main points, I think Portis will be a huge help in pass protection. What about that?

Actually, he was looking good against St. Louis, but then the whole slide thing overshadowed his play. Then, he came out against Philly looking even better and breaking tackles left and right. Then he got hurt.

If we can get him back healthy, he's an asset, period. I think we'll sit him this game though... it's not worth putting him out there and risk losing him for longer in my mind.

I liked how CP looked in the Eagles game before he was hurt. He has some left in the tank I believe. I think he will play and that Shanny is being coy as usual. Zoony is right he has bad balance issues right now and for the last three seasons IMO. But he is a pefect 3rd down back as far as screens and the best in the NFL at pass protection. If this is not an asset I dont know football I guess.

Actually, he was looking good against St. Louis, but then the whole slide thing overshadowed his play. Then, he came out against Philly looking even better and breaking tackles left and right. Then he got hurt.
I am glad you pointed this out. Portis was indeed starting to look good this season before he got hurt.
If we can get him back healthy, he's an asset, period. I think we'll sit him this game though... it's not worth putting him out there and risk losing him for longer in my mind.
You may be right about this. Right now they are calling him a game-time decision, saying he still has some soreness and swelling. We will see. Maybe those fans clamoring for Davis to get a look will get their wish Monday Night.

I liked how CP looked in the Eagles game before he was hurt. He has some left in the tank I believe. I think he will play and that Shanny is being coy as usual. Zoony is right he has bad balance issues right now and for the last three seasons IMO. But he is a pefect 3rd down back as far as screens and the best in the NFL at pass protection. If this is not an asset I dont know football I guess.
Thank you for this. I feel the same way, and I was starting to think I was alone in that, but apparently there are at least a few of us who still believe in CP's ability, and I for one am glad to see it. :thumbsup:

I am glad you pointed this out. Portis was indeed starting to look good this season before he got hurt.

You may be right about this. Right now they are calling him a game-time decision, saying he still has some soreness and swelling. We will see. Maybe those fans clamoring for Davis to get a look will get their wish Monday Night.

I would rather have Davis play than K.Williams. K.Williams is trash. He does nothing right.

1.He can't pass block

2.He is slow

3.Can't break tackles

but knowing our coach and the way he operates we will indeed see K.Williams at RB if Portis can't go.

Hail!

portis ran for 55 yards on 11 touches last time we played philly. torain ran for 70 on 18 touches and a TD where trucked the safety. thats 5 yards a carry to 3.9...... for those discussing stats...

however i watched the game again the other night and CP ran really well in that game. kinda looked like the CP of earlier years.

Funny thing is people are hopping on the Torain bandwagon when he hasn't always shown up. Amazing the animosity people have towards Portis

I for one...can't wait to have him back. He's a nice change of pace and will help in the passing game. Torain and Keiland couldn't pass block to save their lives and that's part of being an RB. I could care less if he goes to the ground as long as he picks up yards and doesn't turn the ball over

I think it would make a difference if he's healthy enough. We were pounding the Eagles in the earlier game. Portis and Torain were both getting carries and they kept each other fresh. I think that could make our ground game more effective. You then factor Portis' ability to pick up blitzes and that increases our chances for big plays. We did that a lot earlier in the season.

Archived