Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis: Will he make a difference? *UPDATE: Portis to start vs. Titans.*

s0crates

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

There's one thing he still does better than anyone else and that is picking up the blitz. I don't expect much from him running the ball but I think he will make a huge difference for our third down pass protection. I'm going to dust off my old #26 jersey on Sunday.

There's one thing he still does better than anyone else and that is picking up the blitz. I don't expect much from him running the ball but I think he will make a huge difference for our third down pass protection. I'm going to dust off my old #26 jersey on Sunday.

I really hope he has a good game. Despite what I have stated in the past, his team needs him and I hope he does well.

Reluctantly, I voted 'no.' Portis has been a leader and a warrior -- but many of Zoony's comments are right on.

I'm not certain how quickly Clinton can achieve 'game-shape" after such a long layoff. I'm not certain how his injury further diminished his balance, ability to cut, speed, explosiveness, etc.

But I already know his ability to break tackles isn't all that hot. And I can't imagine his conditioning is as good now. So Clinton will probably be most productive as a 3rd down back and pass protection back -- but he's not going to be anywhere as good as he was with Denver or Washington his first couple of years.

Besides, with our defense and especially the secondary --I suspect Tennessee is going to quickly force the Skins out of their running game. If we fall behind because our DBs can't keep up with Moss & co. -- we're going to have to throw more and run less.

(Hmm, I guess from that perspective, Portis as a pass-blocker will have a positive impact.)

Williams is an adequate blocker, everyone justs get gushy cause CP occasionally stones somebody. We are rebuilding so get these young guys in. Quit rolling these washed out bums out there hoping for some previous glory

You couldn't be more wrong. Portis is the far superior blocker to every other back on the roster, and he's consistent. Yea, we may notice the big blocks, but CP is bringing it every blocking play. Notice how the pass pro has gotten even worse since Portis went down, you think thats merely a coincidence?

It doesn't matter if he rushes for 2000 yards the rest of this season, our defense still sucks.

Defenses and offenses are independent entities, they both rely heavily upon the other as well as special teams. If we had a 2000 yard rusher, our defense would like entirely different.

Whether he runs the ball well or not, as long as he is in there to pass block, he will make a difference. I've seen too many whiffs on blitz pickups by running backs while he has been out. That's what I want to see. If he can't run the ball well, then Williams will go in and we saw last week how well he could do.

Portis, like others on this team, has no passion or heart. Therefore, it won't freakin' matter if he starts. Torain plays with passion. He gives a damn.

I think a player that didn't have passion or heart wouldn't even bother coming back to play after having his groin muscle ripped from the bone.

That would've probably had you haters leave your job and seek to draw disability.

Portis will be a difference maker in pass protection for McNabb but isn't going to get much on the ground against the Titans.

The Redskins line was poor enough to begin with inside but with Artis Hicks out and a natural center in Will Montgomery starting for him, Tennessee is really going to have an advantage.

This team could not come out of the bye week in poorer shape.

First, the 59-28 drubbing by the Eagles. Then an injury list the length of someone's arm with several starters ruled out.

This was not a team that had much depth to begin with.

I think a player that didn't have passion or heart wouldn't even bother coming back to play after having his groin muscle ripped from the bone.

That would've probably had you haters leave your job and seek to draw disability.

Say what you will about his play in recent years but Portis has always given a damn.

Portis, like others on this team, has no passion or heart. Therefore, it won't freakin' matter if he starts. Torain plays with passion. He gives a damn.

Your post, like many others on this site, has plenty of passion and heart while lacking objectivity. Of all players on this team. how can you question Portis's passion? Surely you jest!

It could go either way. Most of the times with Portis, he has enough blocking to get threw. Given the fact that he is injury prone, he does not run as hard as the other HB's in the league do. For example, look at how nasty people like Chris Johnson and Steve Jackson get when they power forward. They fight to get the extra yards. Portis can get you a first down but after that he falls right down if he see's that defenders are coming his way. This year Clinton Portis got off lucky when Larry Johnson and Willie Parker were released. Both of them could have easily taken the starting position away from Clinton Portis. Both of them still had gas in their tank and were desired to win the starting position for HB. I'm sorry, but it was a major relief to Portis when both of them were released.

Watch this tribute video of Willie Parker. Tell me, that he couldn't of offered us a solution to our run game with Trent Williams on O-Line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGsGQjIpoW0

Archived