Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis: Will he make a difference? *UPDATE: Portis to start vs. Titans.*

s0crates

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I did not mean to make it personal. If I came off that way, I sincerely apologize. As you say, it is just a debate. I only wanted to point out that the argument you gave in defense of Rabach, the "coaches know best" argument, if it is valid at all, can just as easily be made in defense of Portis.

I do expect Portis to come back and play at a high level, and you do not, we have established that. We will not know who is right until Portis takes the field, and you can bet I will be bumping this thread when he does.

Wrong you are, I am always right because I'm the all-knowing polywog!

:D

Poll added.

I hesitate to put a poll up, because polling is an inexact science. Internet polls are especially so, because they are subject to being manipulated through zealous gamesmanship. Still, I thought it might be interesting to check the pulse of Redskins Nation on this.

I don't really think any of the fans on this site have actually....for any length of time.... observed Casey's play. I really don't. I believe that most people are repeating things that they have heard that sounds good to them. If, indeed, Rabach is as bad as people are saying, he would have been benched by the coaches, who have no real interest in playing him beyond winning.
So then what you are saying is that you are the only Redskins fan who is capable of observing a player on our team (Portis) and evaluating him? Hmmm.

I have every game recorded and have watched each one during the week at least twice (most of the times three times a week). Rabach is horrible. Most Redskins fans don't need to watch the game two and three times a week to see how bad Rabach is. But, sometimes I am in such disbelief/watching various other things throughout the course of the game, I just need to rewatch the broadcast.

They did not draft him, he was on a team that went 4-12. They cut a whole lot of players, but gave CR a contract extension. I'm sorry, but I do not buy for a minute that the "fans" know more about the game than the coaches.
I'm not sure if you realize this, but CP was on the 4-12 team also.
As for Portis....he could still have a good game here or there, but he's done. Stick a fork in him and watch him flake.
Wow, you are really contradicting yourself my friend. Do you read your own stuff?:ols:

So then what you are saying is that you are the only Redskins fan who is capable of observing a player on our team (Portis) and evaluating him? Hmmm.

When in the hell did I ever say that?

I have every game recorded and have watched each one during the week at least twice (most of the times three times a week). Rabach is horrible. Most Redskins fans don't need to watch the game two and three times a week to see how bad Rabach is. But, sometimes I am in such disbelief/watching various other things throughout the course of the game, I just need to rewatch the broadcast.

Sorry, you are not on the field, you are not a coach, and I hope you have better things to do than watch Casey Rabach all day long!

I'm not sure if you realize this, but CP was on the 4-12 team also.

....and what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Wow, you are really contradicting yourself my friend. Do you read your own stuff?:ols:

Not at all. CP can still play, but only for a couple games till he gets hurt.You want proof of this? Watch that tape! :ols::ols::ols:

I don't really think any of the fans on this site have actually....for any length of time.... observed Casey's play. I really don't. I believe that most people are repeating things that they have heard that sounds good to them. If, indeed, Rabach is as bad as people are saying, he would have been benched by the coaches, who have no real interest in playing him beyond winning. They did not draft him, he was on a team that went 4-12. They cut a whole lot of players, but gave CR a contract extension. I'm sorry, but I do not buy for a minute that the "fans" know more about the game than the coaches.

As for Portis....he could still have a good game here or there, but he's done. Stick a fork in him and watch him flake.

Really????

An extra 1/2 second? EVERY TIME? Wow, thats a lot of blitz pick-ups by Portis!

Portis had a decent game against Philly. What else has he done in the last two years to merit starting over Torrain? Nodda!

Portis trips all the time. He has had a serious concussion. He has missed a bunch of games this year already.

Sorry, but if all your running back can do is pick up a blitz, you are in trouble.

Torrain runs over people. He wares you down. Not Portis. He is all slash and dash and not even very good at it anymore. Despite what people think, Portis is limited even as a third down back. He just is not that good catching out of the backfield. It is only a matter of time till he is hurt....again.

Interesting...and how consistently has Torain done this? Especially considering that our running game has been missing for MOST of the season and it was missing in the Packers and Lions game even when Torain was playing??

In other words....how are you so convinced that Torain is the answer? Is the season over? I suppose you get caught up in immediate hype??

Torain is slow.....something to which his power covers up for. But to make it seem as if he's miles above Portis is ridiculous. If I had to choose between a hit or miss running game with Torain....or an okay runner who can also help us take more shots down field...I'll take the latter every time

Because if Torain gets shut down in the running game...and we have to revert to Torain's blocking....the team would be in for a long day

If Portis gets shut down...at least we have something to fall back on

Interesting...and how consistently has Torain done this? Especially considering that our running game has been missing for MOST of the season and it was missing in the Packers and Lions game even when Torain was playing??

In other words....how are you so convinced that Torain is the answer? Is the season over? I suppose you get caught up in immediate hype??

Torain is slow.....something to which his power covers up for. But to make it seem as if he's miles above Portis is ridiculous. If I had to choose between a hit or miss running game with Torain....or an okay runner who can also help us take more shots down field...I'll take the latter every time

Because if Torain gets shut down in the running game...and we have to revert to Torain's blocking....the team would be in for a long day

If Portis gets shut down...at least we have something to fall back on

Torrain>Portis. He can be a star in this league under Shanny. Portis can get a job selling Amway.

How often has he done this? Kind of hard to answer, but I say enough that coaches have noticed. Certainly enough that I have noticed.

Torrain is slow? You can tell this....how?

If, indeed, Portis is as bad as polywog999 is saying, he would have been benched by the coaches

I wouldn't be too sure about that. Portis has been a good runningback in previous years, and is a hard practicer this year. The coaching staff loves that (hence: keeping Larry Johnson over Torain, starting Joey Galloway, keeping Kory Lich as the starter).

When in the hell did I ever say that?
Read your own quotes polywog. Why are you able to observe and evaluate CP but everyone else is incapable of observing and evaluating CR?

Didn't you say that we are not on the field and that we are not coaches? So why do you know more than the coaches about CP? You forget your own quotes.

Sorry, you are not on the field, you are not a coach, and I hope you have better things to do than watch Casey Rabach all day long!
You are not on the field either nor are you a coach. Yet you seem better qualified to rate Portis than we are to rate Rabach.

BTW, you talked about making this subject personal with another member...in other words my personal time shouldn't be any of your concern or a matter of this subject. I have a full and happy life. End it there.

....and what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
:ols:Huh? Yo, you said that Rabach was on the 4-12 team and he is still here. Well, helloooooo...so was Portis. So is Portis. Why don't you understand this stuff? You typed it.

You are now arguing just to argue.

Read your own quotes polywog. Why are you able to observe and evaluate CP but everyone else is incapable of observing and evaluating CR?

I'm not saying he's all pro! Just my opinion, man. seems like my opinion is really upsetting to you! Where did I say that I broke down film of portis's play? I know what I know based on....his stats, his injuries, his lack of playing time.

Didn't you say that we are not on the field and that we are not coaches? So why do you know more than the coaches about CP? You forget your own quotes.

I have not forgotten anything, you on the other hand have forgotten that you just asked this question.

You are not on the field either nor are you a coach. Yet you seem better qualified to rate Portis than we are to rate Rabach.

I know what I know based on....his stats, his injuries, his lack of playing time.

BTW, you talked about making this subject personal with another member...in other words my personal time shouldn't be any of your concern or a matter of this subject. I have a full and happy life. End it there.

Ladies and gentlemen....the smoking gun:

Originally Posted by polywog999

You are being awfully sensitive there, pal!

:ols:Huh? Yo, you said that Rabach was on the 4-12 team and he is still here. Well, helloooooo...so was Portis. So is Portis. Why don't you understand this stuff? You typed it.

That was in reference to why they did not bench him....his play.

Portis on the other hand had his playing time reduced.

You are now arguing just to argue.

No. You don't like the argument, so I am wrong.

Also, I argue when I feel it is necessary to explain myself.

Memebers here or Redskins have a opiion about Rabach just like you one about Portis. That was my main point.

However, I give up trying to get a point through to you. However, you seem more interested in getting the last word. So be my guest.

BTW, "the smoking gun"? You brought my time into the subject. I asked you not to. Then you come up with that stupid comment. You are 48? Grow up.

I'm out. Have fun.

No last word out of me except for goodnight. I was actually enjoying debating you.

Peace.

Edit: I will add that telling me to grow up is not very cool. I have not talked to you in this manner and would appreciate being treated the same way. (oh, I got the last word in anyway!)

Okay guys. Full disclosure. Clinton Portis is one of my favorite Redskins.

Obviously, CP has been very productive for us over the years. Odds are very good that he will break Riggo's record this year. I am sure we can all remember some of Portis' finer moments. Surely, he has at least earned a little respect. It is one thing to say a guy is done, it is something else to disrespect somebody who has contributed so much. Even if he does not always take things seriously, he does give 100% on game day.

Now. We must admit Portis is getting up there in years, and we must admit he has a lot of wear-and-tear on his body. He has missed a lot of time do to injury the last few years, but when he did play extensively he was still quite productive (see 2008). At this point in his career, Portis can still be good, just not for an extended stretch. Maybe Shannahan is resting him so he has a healthy Portis to close out the season, his ace in the hole if you will. He would not be the first coach to do so.

Some might say Portis' skills have declined too much. Let me remind you that San Diego thought the same thing about LDT. LDT is playing very well for the Jets now, and San Diego could really use his help. Now, CP is not LDT of course, but the situations are similiar. Think about it.

Portis is a good veteran running back. He rarely fumbles, he is good in pass-pro, and although he is not quite as quick or strong as he once was, he can still get the yards that are there. He is still a good player. He was not spectacular early this year, but he was not bad either. He did not fumble, he blocked as well as he always has, and he managing 4 YPC despite a completely rebuilt offensive line.

I expect him to surprise a lot of people this year. Once he gets healed up, he might have another good stretch left in his legs, especially with Torain wearing down the linebackers.

^^ I hope you're right but i think you're underestimating his injury and how much it will effect his ability to perform.

If Portis can come back and be a functional RB in any capacity i will be pleasantly surprised.

I think that you hit the nail on the head greenie. I think that some others may be underestimating CP's injury as well. I'm not saying that he can't come back mind you.

One of my best friends since childhood got a full ride to a large university here on the east coast for track. He very nearly made the Olympic team, but he was plagued by nagging leg injuries. (One of his teammates was actually in the Olympics in the 400 meter relay).

Anyway, in his opinion there is no way that CP can return from the type of injury that he was reported to have had sustained and be affective for our offense in such a short amount of time.

Thanks to "Short Cuts" (I love that feature) I watched our first game against the Eagles again earlier. CP was definitely having a monster game and showing that he has still got what it takes to help our offense out this season.

However, I guess that we all will just have to hope that CP can bounce back from this latest injury and return to pre-injury form.

I think that you hit the nail on the head greenie. I think that some others may be underestimating CP's injury as well. I'm not saying that he can't come back mind you.

One of my best friends since childhood got a full ride to a large university here on the east coast for track. He very nearly made the Olympic team, but he was plagued by nagging leg injuries. (One of his teammates was actually in the Olympics in the 400 meter relay).

Anyway, in his opinion there is no way that CP can return from the type of injury that he was reported to have had sustained and be affective for our offense in such a short amount of time......However, I guess that we all will just have to hope that CP can bounce back from this latest injury and return to pre-injury form.

I ran track with a guy that had a regular hamstring pull and when he tried to comeback early from the injury after practice his hamstring would swell then turn purplish/blue from blood pooling in his hamstring.

I had another buddy that tore his pec on a parachute jump and he wasn't right for about 6 months, truth be told he still ain't right.

But i remember that when Randy Thomas tore his pec and he was supposed to come back in 6-8 weeks and i was thinking yeah right.

The players in the NFL have such a short earning window that they hyper-eager to comeback from injury to play and the doctors are motivated to get the players back on the field.

If Portis comes back and play's to me it will be a testament to modern medicine and both Clinton's toughness and craziness.

Portis is listed as inactive for tonight's game against Philly, so the question of whether or not he will play has been answered. We will have to do without him tonight. Good luck Torain!

The question of how CP will play when he returns still remains. We may also ask when we can expect him to return.

I think this debate is pretty much over. Portis will give you some additional help in pass protection and has lost a step. The end.

Will he make a difference in the game against the Titans? Sure. Maybe he scores a TD... but I don't think you're getting 100 yards out of Portis anymore :(

The only way I see something positive happening is he took full advantage of Torrain and Williams playing well to recover and is fully healed and ready to go. Even then I'm not sure if he's capable of 100 yards per game anymore.

Archived