Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton Portis: Will he make a difference? *UPDATE: Portis to start vs. Titans.*

s0crates

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Some real haters in here...put the hate aside and come to the realization that this team is better with both Portis and Torain and not just Torain. Portis was actually running well before he got injured and his blitz pick up/pass protect almost has no peer for a running back.

Some real haters in here...put the hate aside and come to the realization that this team is better with both Portis and Torain and not just Torain. Portis was actually running well before he got injured and his blitz pick up/pass protect almost has no peer for a running back.

Understanding that Portis is done has nothing to do with hate and everything to do with football knowledge.

1. I don't think he'll play. He suffered a setback with the groin the other day. I know he's practicing but he's missed a lot of time and we all know our Shanny.

2. If he does play, McNabb will have a better day than recent. However, I don't think he'll do much in the running game because he's hurt and slightly out of shape.

I'd love to see a healthy dose of James Davis.

He will stink up the joint.
Portis is a liability at this point. He will not come back.
Portis will trip in the tunnel and be out 6-7 weeks.
Understanding that Portis is done has nothing to do with hate and everything to do with football knowledge.

Wow. Just wow. Did Portis pee in you Wheaties this morning or something?

An extra 1/2 a second or second to throw for 20-50 yards is greater than rushing for an extra 2 yards by "breaking tackles". I don't know anyone with football knowledge who would dismiss an average runner with great blocking ability compared to another Average runner with NO pass blocking ability. In fact...that is a main thing coaches and scouts look for in an RB, especially if they know the team has a bad O-line

Have you been watching sports analysts constantly bring up how much the Vikings are missing Chester Taylor?? That's because in terms of vision and 3rd down situations he made a HUGE difference. We will see that difference once more if we have an ungrateful attitude towards Portis

Pass-pro:

I know Portis is good in pass protection; he will knock a dude out.

But the gap between his blocking ability and Torrain's and Keiland's has decreased greatly.

Running:

Imo Portis was finally starting show his old intesity, burst and vision and unlike his 'laying down' vs the Rams he was finishing his runs against the Eagles.

But he's been out with a fairly serious injury that effects everything that is required of his position: starting, stopping and quick change of direction.

I can't imagine a player with a 3rd groin degree separation (which was basically a muscle/tendon ending partially pulled/torn off the bone) returning to his form from his last game.

I'm very excited to see what Keiland Williams can bring to the table as running back once/if he continues to get more carries.

I like the way Keiland runs he reminds me of a Travis Henry and i think he will have fewer negative runs then Torrain (especially inside runs).

Torrain seems to be a good outside stretch/zone runner because of his power but i think he lacks vision and cutting ability on inside runs.

An extra 1/2 a second or second to throw for 20-50 yards is greater than rushing for an extra 2 yards by "breaking tackles". I don't know anyone with football knowledge who would dismiss an average runner with great blocking ability compared to another Average runner with NO pass blocking ability. In fact...that is a main thing coaches and scouts look for in an RB, especially if they know the team has a bad O-line

Have you been watching sports analysts constantly bring up how much the Vikings are missing Chester Taylor?? That's because in terms of vision and 3rd down situations he made a HUGE difference. We will see that difference once more if we have an ungrateful attitude towards Portis

An extra 1/2 second? EVERY TIME? Wow, thats a lot of blitz pick-ups by Portis!

Portis had a decent game against Philly. What else has he done in the last two years to merit starting over Torrain? Nodda!

Portis trips all the time. He has had a serious concussion. He has missed a bunch of games this year already.

Sorry, but if all your running back can do is pick up a blitz, you are in trouble.

Torrain runs over people. He wares you down. Not Portis. He is all slash and dash and not even very good at it anymore. Despite what people think, Portis is limited even as a third down back. He just is not that good catching out of the backfield. It is only a matter of time till he is hurt....again.

Actually, he was looking good against St. Louis, but then the whole slide thing overshadowed his play. Then, he came out against Philly looking even better and breaking tackles left and right. Then he got hurt.

If we can get him back healthy, he's an asset, period. I think we'll sit him this game though... it's not worth putting him out there and risk losing him for longer in my mind.

You said almost exactly what I was gonna say lol :yes:...Now I gotta read the rest of the thread and see if anyone disagrees with you and then see if you already responded to those posts so that I can see whether or not I actually need to post again on this topic lol :thumbsup:

You said almost exactly what I was gonna say lol :yes:...Now I gotta read the rest of the thread and see if anyone disagrees with you and then see if you already responded to those posts so that I can see whether or not I actually need to post again on this topic lol :thumbsup:

Fair enough Cali, but if CP does not get it together by the end of the year, at what point is he considered "finished?"

I was saying that CP was washed up back in 08.

Fair enough Cali, but if CP does not get it together by the end of the year, at what point is he considered "finished?"

I was saying that CP was washed up back in 08.

Was that before or after he ran off 1,000 yards in only 8 games? ;)

And to answer your question, I'd say Portis is "finished" when he starts looking like Larry Johnson did on a consistent basis, in all facets of his game.

Was that before or after he ran off 1,000 yards in only 8 games? ;)

And to answer your question, I'd say Portis is "finished" when he starts looking like Larry Johnson did on a consistent basis, in all facets of his game.

...and what happened AFTER that 1,000 yard run-off? Zilch.

"stars" get way too much slack in football. Why isn't anyone defending Casey Rabach? He gets thrown under the bus by fans more than transfers tickets. He still has plenty left. You wouldn't know it by the fan-base, though.

...and what happened AFTER that 1,000 yard run-off? Zilch.

What happened after the 1,000 yards? Numerous injuries to the O-Line and an injury to Portis against the Steelers. Or were you thinking that Portis just suddenly "lost it" midway through the season?

"stars" get way too much slack in football. Why isn't anyone defending Casey Rabach? He gets thrown under the bus by fans more than transfers tickets. He still has plenty left. You wouldn't know it by the fan-base, though.

Because Rabach's failures are leading to sacks, rushed throws, and he's stepping on McNabb's damn feet on some plays lol :ols:...Because Rabach gets CONSTANTLY overpowered and overrun by big nose tackles. Because Rabach would be better suited as a back-up than as a starter. He still has value and can still be valuable to the Skins or any number of other teams, but more as a backup than as a full-time starter. Many here are saying that Portis still has value on this team, both as a running back and as a blocker, and that the offense will be better with his return. They are NOT saying he's still the 2003 Portis and that we should sit Torain once he's healthy again. Just that he can be used effectively on this offense and help improve it.

Well, except you, that is...who says Portis won't even make it out of the tunnel without tripping and will be injured while sitting on the bench lol...

What happened after the 1,000 yards? Numerous injuries to the O-Line and an injury to Portis against the Steelers. Or were you thinking that Portis just suddenly "lost it" midway through the season?

Because Rabach's failures are leading to sacks, rushed throws, and he's stepping on McNabb's damn feet on some plays lol :ols:...Because Rabach gets CONSTANTLY overpowered and overrun by big nose tackles. Because Rabach would be better suited as a back-up than as a starter. He still has value and can still be valuable to the Skins or any number of other teams, but more as a backup than as a full-time starter. Many here are saying that Portis still has value on this team, both as a running back and as a blocker, and that the offense will be better with his return. They are NOT saying he's still the 2003 Portis and that we should sit Torain once he's healthy again. Just that he can be used effectively on this offense and help improve it.

Well, except you, that is...who says Portis won't even make it out of the tunnel without tripping and will be injured while sitting on the bench lol...

I don't really think any of the fans on this site have actually....for any length of time.... observed Casey's play. I really don't. I believe that most people are repeating things that they have heard that sounds good to them. If, indeed, Rabach is as bad as people are saying, he would have been benched by the coaches, who have no real interest in playing him beyond winning. They did not draft him, he was on a team that went 4-12. They cut a whole lot of players, but gave CR a contract extension. I'm sorry, but I do not buy for a minute that the "fans" know more about the game than the coaches.

As for Portis....he could still have a good game here or there, but he's done. Stick a fork in him and watch him flake.

If, indeed, Rabach is as bad as people are saying, he would have been benched by the coaches, who have no real interest in playing him beyond winning. They did not draft him, he was on a team that went 4-12. They cut a whole lot of players, but gave CR a contract extension. I'm sorry, but I do not buy for a minute that the "fans" know more about the game than the coaches.
If, indeed, Portis is as bad as polywog999 is saying, he would have been benched by the coaches, but instead he was given the starting job. The coaches have no real interest in playing him beyond winning. I'm sorry, but I do not buy for a minute that polywog999 knows more about the game than the coaches.
As for Portis....he could still have a good game here or there, but he's done. Stick a fork in him and watch him flake.
Of course you know I'm with Califan007 on this one. Portis will be back sooner than later, I expect him to be productive, and you do not. One of us will be eating crow when he returns. Time will tell . . .

If, indeed, Portis is as bad as polywog999 is saying, he would have been benched by the coaches, but instead he was given the starting job. The coaches have no real interest in playing him beyond winning. I'm sorry, but I do not buy for a minute that polywog999 knows more about the game than the coaches.

Of course you know I'm with Califan007 on this one. Portis will be back sooner than later, I expect him to be productive, and you do not. One of us will be eating crow when he returns. Time will tell . . .

The only way I "eat crow" is if Portis regains his starting job and plays at a high level.

Try not to make this personal, Socrates. It's just a debate.

Thanks.

The only way I "eat crow" is if Portis regains his starting job and plays at a high level.

Try not to make this personal, Socrates. It's just a debate.

Thanks.

I did not mean to make it personal. If I came off that way, I sincerely apologize. As you say, it is just a debate. I only wanted to point out that the argument you gave in defense of Rabach, we might call it the "coaches know best" argument, if it is valid at all, can just as easily be made in defense of Portis.

I do expect Portis to come back and play at a high level, and you do not, we have established that. We will not know who is right until Portis takes the field, and you can bet I will be bumping this thread when he does.

Archived