Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is Shanny Really Trying To Get Jay Cutler Back?

Hubbs

Say what you want about Cutler, especially in a system that doesn't fit him.

But nobody alive can seriously make the argument that he has less raw talent than McNabb.

He can make throws that McNabb dreams of making, when he (Cutler )makes the right decisions :doh:

Talent isn't the issue with Cutler, and hasn't been anywhere he's gone.

When you throw 4 picks to DHall, and nobody's really surprised (because people know that's what he does) I would say that's a knock on his 'talent'. It's not something intangible or anything. It's not like he has these otherwordly skills that are being held back because of a few poor decisions.

I just don't like him. he looks like a goofball, he says REALLY stupid things(see:DHall comment), he acted like a baby throughout the whole denver thing, he basically said he's better than Elway, and wherever he goes, or has been, he thinks he's king of the team. In his short career, he's already thrown up a bunch of red flags, and he's not playing NEARLY well enough to justify any of his actions. Not that good play would make those things ok anyway.

On the other hand, McNabb has been the consummate professional on and off the field. He's never complained about a thing, besides TO and he was pretty quiet about that. He's aware of his weaknesses, and it very humble in adjusting them, overcoming them, and winning football games. The guy wins. Sorry, no ring, but the guy wins, and hes very cool about it.

Jay Cutler is a douche, and honestly I don't see why people love him so much. One good year in Denver? It was a good offense, whatever. Their D was horrible, so they scored a lot of points to make up for it. A few weeks ago we're laughing in this guys face, and now some of you actually want this arrogant, overrated douche on the team. I'm disappointed.

When you throw 4 picks to DHall, and nobody's really surprised (because people know that's what he does) I would say that's a knock on his 'talent'. It's not something intangible or anything. It's not like he has these otherwordly skills that are being held back because of a few poor decisions.

Actually, as far as NFL QBs go, Cutler does possess "otherworldly" skills.

And thats just not my opinion either.

Before Cutler was traded to Chicago, he was considered on the verge of being an elite QB.

Then he got to Chicago and you know the rest.

I don't understand the assumption that because Shanahan and Cutler 'worked' in Denver that they'd work here. First off, Cutler and Shanahan success consisted of being 17-20 together. That was despite Denver having a strong rushing attack...#2, #8, #9, #12, from 2005 - 08. Denver also never had the offensive holes in their pass protection that we have.

Keep in mind this isn't the offense they had in Denver either. In Houston, Kyle's offenses ranked #30 rushing in '09, and currently has us sitting at #24.

Chicago's likely not going to swallow 2 1st rounders and the money they have tied up in him. He is due a $12 million roster bonus next year, so there may be a chance that the Bears' management and owners don't want him, and he could be outright released.

McNabb needs to be our guy. Otherwise Shanahan spends at least 3 draft picks on one position, when he could've been addressing other holes on the team.

I just wanted to address the O-line issue. Jay Cutler didn't start out with a good O-line. Jake Plummer had poor pass protection, but good run blocking.

In 2006 Cutler was drafted and a Guard. We drafted a RT in 2007 who didn't see the field. Tom Nalen, our all pro Center was put on IR. We drafted a LT in 2008 and started our RT in 2008. Our center was from KC and Lichtensteiger was part of our 2008 line.

Shanahan built that line for him. That's how it goes.

If you have a chance to get the QB you want, especially in the draft, you get him. You don't wait. EVER. Do you know how often elite QBs come around? After Brady & Manning who is there? Maybe Rivers? The rest are debateable. If Shanny finds the guy who he thinks he can make great, he won't pass it up and you shouldn't want to either.

I don't understand the assumption that because Shanahan and Cutler 'worked' in Denver that they'd work here. First off, Cutler and Shanahan success consisted of being 17-20 together. That was despite Denver having a strong rushing attack...#2, #8, #9, #12, from 2005 - 08. Denver also never had the offensive holes in their pass protection that we have..

But you're leaving out one key fact: Denver's defense was dead last for at least one those seasons.

Actually, as far as NFL QBs go, Cutler does possess "otherworldly" skills.

And thats just not my opinion either.

Before Cutler was traded to Chicago, he was considered on the verge of being an elite QB.

Then he got to Chicago and you know the rest.

What "otherworldly" skills does Cutler posess? He has a cannon for an arm. That is about it. That is hardly unprecedented in the NFL and it also hardly means he is or will be a great QB. It isn't like he is an elite athlete who can turn any play into a first down by running. It isn't like he has "otherworldly" abilities to read defenses...actually he seems to have some problems with that. His decision making is questionable at best and downright bizzare at worst. He isn't great at feeling or getting away from pressure and he doesn't seem to handle it all that well. His last year in Denver he was sacked, what, 11 times all year? He had a great line that protected him well. He had some great targets to throw to including one of the more elite WRs in the NFL; a guy who could go up and nab poorly thrown passes or passes that were just thrown up for grabs. Now he is on a team with a poor OL, not much of a running game, and extremely pedestrian receivers...and he looks average at best, horrible at worst. Sure he seemed to learn well under Shanny, but he is what he is and he isn't worth multiple players and/or draft picks. Especially when we have an OL that still closely resembles swiss cheese and nobody besides Moss and Cooley to throw to.

Im sure they would, but why would we want Cutler? The fact of the matter is that he wasnt all that good with Shanahan.

Excuse me.

He put up almost 3500 yds, 20 tds and a completion % of 63.6 in 2007

In 2008 he put up 4526 yda, 25 tds and a competion rate of 62.3 %

So yes he was "that" good with Shanahan.

As a point of reference, McNabb has 1971 yds passing, 7 tds and a completion % of 57.4 for the first 8 games this season.

Double those numbers and they are not close to Cutlers.

Im sure they would, but why would we want Cutler? The fact of the matter is that he wasnt all that good with Shanahan.

What? Are you kidding? Dude put up 4,500 yards and 25 touchdowns with Shanahan. Only thing is, I think it was the players around him, not him, that were the good ones, and Shanny doesn't know that.

Don't look now but Cutler is playing better then McNabb right now despite being sacked more.

Not in the Bears games I've seen, at least.

Excuse me.

He put up almost 3500 yds, 20 tds and a completion % of 63.6 in 2007

In 2008 he put up 4526 yda, 25 tds and a competion rate of 62.3 %

So yes he was "that" good with Shanahan.

As a point of reference, McNabb has 1971 yds passing, 7 tds and a completion % of 57.4 for the first 8 games this season.

Double those numbers and they are not close to Cutlers.

I would not disagree that Cutler was a very effective QB in Denver under Shanny but you missed out a couple of key stats in your post above. In 2007 he threw 14 interceptions along with those 20 TD and in 2008 he threw 18 interceptions to go with those 25 TDs. Last year with the Bears he had 27 TDs but lead the NFL with 26 interceptions.

He has great physical talent and one of the strongest arms in the NFL along with very good mobility. However he takes chances and makes some dumb decisions which result in a turnover rate which is too high.

I'd like to add that we didn't work out Cutler when we drafted him. Shanny used his network of trusted people to scout for him including Jeff Fisher who drafted Vince Young the same year.

You will not know what his plan is... ever.

As far as skillset goes, you may not know it by watching him in Chicago, but he has excellent pocket awareness. I think he may be shell shocked in Chicago, but I highly recommend you take a look at the two point conversion he threw against SD at home to win the game 2 in 2008. It is an excellent throw on a play that broke down in protection because he had the strength, accuracy and pocket awareness to do it. If not for those three things, Eddie Royal would not have made that catch with three defenders on top of him while the protection broke down.

Also, in reference to DHall, he made some stupid comments about that, but Cutler cost DHall his job in Oakland. See game 1 in 2008 vs. the rookie Eddie Royal while BMarshall was out on suspension.

I didn't see the whole game, nor did I see the plays develop, but DHall made some good catches. Is there any truth that he was in a good spot because he couldn't cover his assignment? Eddie Royal made him look the fool that he started to make a lot of dirty plays throwing Royal out of bounds (because he was small) late hits, etc. You have to remember that Martz's system has him throwing to a spot on the field leaving the responsibility to the WR to get there. It's a different system and should be looked at fairly.

You don't have to look far to see the Cutler has an affinity for Shanahan and vice versa. If he could pick Martz or Shanny, seriously, who do you think he would rather play for? A one trick pony or the coach that would put him in the best position regardless of scheme to give him the best chance to win?

For example, Shanny started using more of the shotgun in 2008 because of our lack of a running game that year. We were down to our 8/9 running back by the end of the season. Even though the stats say otherwise, I will tell you that we were hurting. Remember that the offense is built around the effectiveness of the run game, so when your running game hurts, your play action and passing will hurt, too. Defenders would just drop into zone to defend against Cutler. Some of our big run plays came out of shotgun and we were running more spread looks. The scheme was adapted to compensate for some of the things we were lacking and to play up to Cutler's strengths, designed rollouts, quick slants and screens, etc.

He will throw picks. That will happen. However, more times than not, he was playing from behind in Denver, causing him to take more chances with the ball than we should have. Stats don't tell you the whole story. I suggest watching the games. When you play with the mentality that you HAVE TO score because your defense can't get off the field, it skews your strategy and playing safe is not an option.

I have no answer for him in Chicago other than to say he is a different QB there from what I know. If the premise is reuniting with Shanny, that I can speak for.

I would not disagree that Cutler was a very effective QB in Denver under Shanny but you missed out a couple of key stats in your post above. In 2007 he threw 14 interceptions along with those 20 TD and in 2008 he threw 18 interceptions to go with those 25 TDs. Last year with the Bears he had 27 TDs but lead the NFL with 26 interceptions.

He has great physical talent and one of the strongest arms in the NFL along with very good mobility. However he takes chances and makes some dumb decisions which result in a turnover rate which is too high.

Oh no! Not more touchdowns than interceptions! Anything but that!

You know what? Call me crazy - I'm quite sure you'll think so - but I think I'm actually starting to come around to this idea.

How many Bears games have you seen?

Truth be told you don't even have to see any games at all to know that most every QB in the league is playing better then McNabb right now.

Virtually all of them, or at least parts. I have DirecTV, and I flip around a lot. I've got a couple Bears on my fantasy team, so I like watching them. And at least in the parts I've seen, I haven't liked what Jay Cutler did. Yet I'm somehow coming around on this. I guess I missed the important parts. :ols:

Virtually all of them, or at least parts. I have DirecTV, and I flip around a lot. I've got a couple Bears on my fantasy team, so I like watching them. And at least in the parts I've seen, I haven't liked what Jay Cutler did. Yet I'm somehow coming around on this. I guess I missed the important parts. :ols:

You watched the Bears games and the Redskins game and think McNabb is playing better then Cutler; but you're starting to come around to Cutler?

Why praytell are you coming around to the idea? btw you're a confusing dude Hubbs.

You watched the Bears games and the Redskins game and think McNabb is playing better then Cutler; but you're starting to come around to Cutler?

Why praytell are you coming around to the idea? btw you're a confusing dude Hubbs.

I know. Sorry about that. I have confusing thoughts. :ols:

I love McNabb. Love him. But I'm starting to think that Cutler might play even better with us. It might not be the players around him after all.

There's no way I would take Jay Cutler over Donovan McNabb. Has Cutler ever lead his team to the playoffs? Won a play off game, or lead his team to a +500 record? ****CRICKETS***** Cutler and Shannahan had a record of 17-20. I rather have a winner than a proven loser. Yes, Jay Cutler will throw some passes that reminds you of Dan Marino, then soon after, he'll a throw some passes that remind you of Tom Tupa.

There's no way I would take Jay Cutler over Donovan McNabb. Has Cutler ever lead his team to the playoffs? Won a play off game, or lead his team to a +500 record? ****CRICKETS***** Cutler and Shannahan had a record of 17-20. I rather have a winner than a proven loser. Yes, Jay Cutler will throw some passes that reminds you of Dan Marino, then soon after, he'll a throw some passes that remind you of Tom Tupa.

More elements to a team than just Jay Cutler. He put up huge numbers while his defense blew chunks.

All I can say is if we get rid of McNabb we are going to be sorry fans for a long time. McNabb is the smarter QB in my opinion. If he had a better O-Line and a deep threat receiver like Randy Moss, he would unlock the deep passing plays for us. Maybe then, would Kyle Shanahan's offense look a little better. So if we got rid of McNabb there would be even more upset fans because yet again Shanahan will have made a decision based on character/familiarness by cutting a great QB like McNabb and signing someone he knows, such as Jay Cutler. You thought heads turned when Devin Thomas was told to clean out his locker. You wait until Shanahan doesn't keep McNabb and watch how many Redskins jersey's you see on the ground.

If Redskins don't keep him, he will probably end up going with Vikings because this is Brett Favre's so called last season. McNabb would do well there. He has a strong arm and can get the ball to the receivers. So when Redskins fans are watching Cutler get torn to pieces by the Giants defense, and you see McNabb throwing deep TD passes with the Vikings, you are going to wish we had kept him a little longer.

All I can say is if we get rid of McNabb we are going to be sorry fans for a long time. McNabb is the smarter QB in my opinion. If he had a better O-Line and a deep threat receiver like Randy Moss, he would unlock the deep passing plays for us. Maybe then, would Kyle Shanahan's offense look a little better. So if we got rid of McNabb there would be even more upset fans because yet again Shanahan will have made a decision based on character/familiarness by cutting a great QB like McNabb and signing someone he knows, such as Jay Cutler. You thought heads turned when Devin Thomas was told to clean out his locker. You wait until Shanahan doesn't keep McNabb and watch how many Redskins jersey's you see on the ground.

If Redskins don't keep him, he will probably end up going with Vikings because this is Brett Favre's so called last season. McNabb would do well there. He has a strong arm and can get the ball to the receivers. So when Redskins fans are watching Cutler get torn to pieces by the Giants defense, and you see McNabb throwing deep TD passes with the Vikings, you are going to wish we had kept him a little longer.

See, this is what I don't get. People keep screaming about the O-line, then blaming Shanny or McNabb for our problems. McNabb. The guy who supposedly can't run a 2-minute drill even though he did so on a broken leg once. It all starts up front. It's the Goddamn O-line. Stop complaining about the QB who has to run for his damn life all the time.

This is all so ****ing stupid. No wonder we keep having losing seasons.

See, this is what I don't get. People keep screaming about the O-line, then blaming Shanny or McNabb for our problems. McNabb. The guy who supposedly can't run a 2-minute drill even though he did so on a broken leg once. It all starts up front. It's the Goddamn O-line. Stop complaining about the QB who has to run for his damn life all the time.

I agree with you here 100%. Our O'line and specifically the interior of that line is still by far our biggest issue and its holding back the whole offense. Changing QBs especially drafting one high before we have addressed this would be stupid.

Archived